[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Philosopher Robert Nozick proposed the following thought experiment:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: ExpMachine.png (152 KB, 300x275) Image search: [Google]
ExpMachine.png
152 KB, 300x275
Philosopher Robert Nozick proposed the following thought experiment:

Suppose there were an experience machine that would give you any experience you desired. Superduper neuropsychologists could stimulate your brain so that you would think and feel you were writing a great novel, or making a friend, or reading an interesting book. All the time you would be floating in a tank, with electrodes attached to your brain. Should you plug into this machine for life, pre-programming your life's experiences?... Of course, while in the tank, you won't know that you're there; you'll think it's all actually happening. . . . Would you plug in? What else can matter to us, other than how our lives feel from the inside?

So /r9k/, would you?
>>
>>24597284
yep... i would
>>
yes, what the fuck are you talking about, like if this was a bad thing
>>
Yes, if the things I wrote in the tank could be communicated to the real world. But I reckon that's out of the question.

Otherwise no, I have stuff to do here before I end it.
>>
So..... Total Recall?
>>
>>24597312
Oh, I, OP, agree, I personally think Nozick was a hack. He indeed believed it would be a bad thing.
>>
>>24597339
Never seen it, but like the matrix, but a paradise.
>>
Like this or what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRSLDdjIOJg

Hell YES dude
>>
>>24597284
No, I wouldn't. A comforting delusion is still a delusion. I would rather be miserable in the truth than comfortable in a lie.
>>
>>24597284
Yes, as long as I don't have to stay hooked up permanently. Just, you know, go in once in a while and feel tfw gf.
>>
File: fedoraman.jpg (10 KB, 214x317) Image search: [Google]
fedoraman.jpg
10 KB, 214x317
>>24597667
Really, is that so?
>>
>>24597806
Oh I didn't see the part that said "for life" -- should have made that a little more prominent, OP.
>>
File: The Matrix _DivX_ 346_0001.jpg (29 KB, 320x152) Image search: [Google]
The Matrix _DivX_ 346_0001.jpg
29 KB, 320x152
very original proposal, mate
>>
>>24597886
It was written in 1974.
>>
I accept instrumentality
>>
>>24597667
and how would you know?
the machine is programmed so you can never know if its an illusion or not.
you could literally be a 2085 psychology student writing a thesis on isolation and depression and doing his reasearch living the life of a 2015 NEET.
if its all you know its not a lie for you, its the only truth you know.
>>
>>24597284
Couldn't that machine make me smarter/help me accomplish things? For example if you're in the machine and train in kung fu and do it over a sustained period of time surely the technical knowledge you acquired while you were in the tank doesn't just disappear.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.