[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is metal and classical praised so much on 4chan? Metal sounds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (172 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
172 KB, 1252x1252
Why is metal and classical praised so much on 4chan? Metal sounds worse than rap and classical is only good as elevator music.
>>
Pleb tastes
Its the normie tier alternative to normie tier mainstream
>>
>>24588765
>classical music is pleb taste
>>
Because metal and classical, along with bluegrass, are the few musical styles that are still relevant today that actually require some skill to perform
>>
Metal attracts a certain type of sperg that usually browses r9k
>>
>>24588653
it's gentlemen music
*tip*
>>
>>24588824
Flamenco takes a lot of skill too, but i guess it's dead as fuck. I wanna bring it back
>>
>>24588800
Its literally "I don't listen to music enough to have any taste or I'm trying to be pretentious" tier. Its not bad and a lot of it is nice to listen to, but the people that praise it a lot are often wearing some particular headwear
>>
>>24588824
Why would someone listen to a musical genre, not because they like the sound itself but just because of the skill required to produce it?

I don't enjoy the foods I like because of the skill and effort required to cook them, I enjoy them because I like how they taste.
>>
File: 1448708939849.jpg (166 KB, 708x720) Image search: [Google]
1448708939849.jpg
166 KB, 708x720
>>24588653

>doesn't listen to black metal

might as well kill yourself
>>
>>24588889
This
Shredding a guitar dragonforce style =/= good music
>>
>>24588888
Maybe for some people but it usually requires a lot of listening and studying to even understand it.
>>
>>24588955
>Understand it
There you go, pretentious
>>
>>24588653
Metal does suck, but since you used "classical" as a blanket term, I know you know absolutely nothing about it, and therefore have no valid opinion on it.
This board isn't a good representation of taste, either; I've seen plenty of awful buttrock unironically posted.
>>
>>24588889
>not because they like the sound itself but just because of the skill required to produce it?

This is like saying that intelligence means nothing without the things that, surprise surprise, intelligence usually comes with.

Skill and sound come hand in hand.
>>
>>24588889
Wouldn't you consider making food taste good in the first place a skill? or do you just eat at mcdonalds fatty
>>
>>24588889
Sure, chocolate bars are tasty and all, but don't you appreciate eating a pie crafted by hand from the skill of the creator than some mass produced candy bar?
>>
>>24588955
>metal i just wanna die n kill ppl

not much to understand
>>
>>24588971
Because something is more complicated makes it pretentious? If it were needlessly complicated for its own sake then sure but it serves as a structure for an idea to develop and that really enhances the emotionally qualities of it. It's like a story
>>
>>24588824
actually after playing the drums for a while i've gained a slight appreciation for some metal and hard rock i never liked before, only because i know how hard that shit is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hDs6mCVAKs
>>
>>24588979
>>24588981
>>24588983
The main problem with le classical and metal are the only types of music that take skill meme is that its like saying only baked chicken tenders are good in comparison to the mass produced ones at fast food restaurants, when there's so many other types of chicken out there but your tastes are only for tendies and as a result you block them out, ignoring the other good and well make chicken for just the tendies.
>>
>>24588653
classical is generally trash
and I spent 11 years playing violin (mostly baroque) so I have enough exposure to say this with pretty high certainty
>>
>>24588979
Correlation =/= causation. There may be difficult to perform songs that sound nice, but there are plenty of simple yet pleasant-sounding melodies too. Just because something takes more skill doesn't necessarily means it produces a better product.

>>24588981
>>24588983
Simple food doesn't necessarily mean cheap and processed shit, anons. I'm just a fan of simple baked and lightly spiced fish fillets, salmon especially.
>>
>>24589010
It's the whole "You just don't get it like me because" vibe your post had. If you like classical good. Every musical genre can have complex pieces.
>>
>>24589051
But Baroque isn't Classical *tips* In all seriousness, learn some better classical than antiquated shit
>>
>>24589054
>Correlation =/= causation.

If you thought for a moment what you're posting, you'd notice that that doesn't fucking matter in this case. I don't care which causes which when I want to listen to good/skilled music; I just need to know that one tends to come with the other.
>>
And.

>>24589054
>Just because something takes more skill doesn't necessarily means it produces a better product.

Obviously. But, again and again, my time on Earth is limited and I'm not going to listen to every part of every song of every album of every artist of every genre to ensure I missed nothing.
>>
>>24589070
>It's the whole "You just don't get it like me because" vibe your post had

tfw I've became what I hated
>>
>>24589075
I mean I assume we're using classical in super general terms because, well, this is 4chan, not a conservatory
Baroque is still, in my opinion, better than Romantic, and Modern is garbage - playing Shostakovich was technically and sonically godawful.
>>
>>24589079
What I'm getting at is that I can appreciate the skill required to play such music, but that doesn't necessarily mean the music itself sounds good or is something I'd want to listen to.

Someone playing Enter Sandman on a guitar using only their dick to manipulate the strings would be impressive, but that doesn't mean I want to hear it, nor does it mean it's good music.
>>
>>24589179
>doesn't necessarily mean

This phrase is a red flag which means 'I want you to stop pointing out relationships between things that I don't like people to be reminded of'.
>>
Because anons like to think they're intellectuals while also admitting they're edgy faggots without saying it
>>
I've really been obsessing over And Then There Was Silence by Blind Guardian lately.

The Bard's Song too, but that's all I've really given an obsessive listening period to.

Anyone recommend some Blind Guardian?
>>
>>24589138
Baroque's difficult for me because it feels so and safe and unsurprising when compared with later music. At the same time I haven't really listened to a lot of it to make a fair judgement. What would you recommend from it?
>>
>>24588888
God damn, this some extra strength retarded
>>
>on 4chan it's hard to talk about music because people get too edgy/defensive/retarded

Breaks my heart every time family.

I'll admit the /production/ threads on /mu/ are cool though.
>>
>>24589267
I'm just looking through my old music books, but:
>Gioseffo Fiocco, Allegro in G Major
>Vivaldi, Concerto in G Minor
there's more but I gave a bunch of my books to my cousin so I don't have a ton on hand
also, Charles Dancla's Air Varie series is pretty cool, but not baroque
>>
>>24588653
>Why is metal and classical praised so much on 4chan?
For one, they're generally good genres. Also, they're both almost entirely inaccessible to normals.

>>24588889
>Why would someone listen to a musical genre, not because they like the sound itself but just because of the skill required to produce it?
Skill directly correlates with quality. Unskilled musicians are bland, have ugly tones, and generally unable to express their music properly. Good musicians spend most of their time trying to make their performance sound better. Showing off is just a side effect.
>>
>>24589256
Only Nightfall and earlier albums. Andre's guitar still sounds great, but Hansi's voice is trashed and the production sounds like nothing but mid-range.
>>
File: 1437145352705.png (26 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1437145352705.png
26 KB, 640x480
>>24588653
Robots like to feel intelligent. So they try to imitate the people that they consider intelligent, from opinions to taste when it comes to the arts.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.