[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is homelessness really as bad as normies make it out to be?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: happy_hobo_by_geojudas.jpg (161 KB, 600x848) Image search: [Google]
happy_hobo_by_geojudas.jpg
161 KB, 600x848
Is homelessness really as bad as normies make it out to be?
>>
Sounds pretty shitty
>>
I was almost homeless a few times.

Lived with a crazy femanon for a month because I had nowhere else to go.
>>
You get used to it. Being homeless in a place with winter is seriously bad, you can get ill very easily and even freeze to death w/o even knowing it.
>>
depends on where.

santa cruz, CA is a mecca for the homeless.
hitch hike there, live like a hobo king.
>>
>>24588432
I snuck into the main building of my school and slept in one of the classrooms because I didn't have anywhere to go. It was cold and uncomfortable lying down on the floor. I can't imagine what it's like sleeping outside, I'd be scared someone was gonna touch me or some shit.
>>
>>24588493
Yeah, I guess warm places are pretty good for being a hobo

I'm german, so being homeless here is not an option
>>
There's a very high chance you will get beat up and robbed
>>
Would owning a car make the lifestyle easier/more comfy?
>>
>>24588684
Id say yes
Any kind of shelter is better than being on the street
>>
>>24588683
Who would rob a hobo? There's usually not that much to steal from them, right?
>>
I remember this one homeless thread which I think was on Wizardchan. It was pretty bad, things would happen like anon would wake up to find Chad and his friends pissing on him for lulz.
>>
>>24588684
Obviously, you'd have a place to keep your stuff and a safe spot to sleep.
>>
Well since it usually leads to drug addiction and mental illness yeah I'd say it's pretty shitty
>>
>>24588701
Other hobos, teenagers, and assholes who think the homeless are at fault. Also cops can hassle you to varying degrees, depending on where you are.
>>
>>24588756
I think it's the other way around, drug addiction and mental illness cause homelessness. Although it can exacerbate the two.
>>
>>24588764
>>24588683
>>24588535
>>24588723
These would be solved by owning a car.
But where does one put said car? Camping wild is illegal in most places
>>
>>24588756
I agree with >>24588756
Also, there are people who are homeless voluntarily and do not suffer from alcoholism or drug addiction
>>
>>24588684
park in 24 hour walmart parking lots, crack a window if weather permits so your windows dont fog up when you sleep.
van is the best option.
this will protect you from the elements. a van can even have a mattress in the back.

owning a car costs money (registration/gas/upkeep)

The best way to be homeless is to not look homeless, so you can have a job and income so you can pay for car costs and be protected from the elements.
get a cheap $10/month gym membership so you can shower and maybe a locker there to keep some stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtAgNXSOleo
>>
>>24588807
some places like Walmart allow you to park in their lot 24/7. they like it because it gives them more surveillance and people are less likely to be stealing or doing stupid shit if there are cars around.
>>
>>24588684

finding parking is actually kinda hard
>>
>>24588860
There are no Walmarts in my country though. Also, car insurance is mandatory here. Maybe I should move to make this easier.
>>
>>24588784
Getting addicted to drugs after you become homeless isn't really talked about since most people think you already were one and therefore it's your own fault
>>
>>24588366
Being poor is immoral, it's okay to not have a permanent residence as long as you have money in the bank
>>
Just found this interview with a voluntarily homeless man. This sounds way to good to be true.

http://www.psmag.com/books-and-culture/crusties-gutter-punks-travelers-whatever-dont-call-homeless-89243

>>24588908
Could you elaborate?
>>
>>24588928
>Being poor is immoral
Why?
>>
>>24588908
Most of the homeless people I've talked to have done pills/heroin before they were homeless.

Although, there was this study where the researchers gave meth addicts either $100 or something like twice the equivalent in pharmaceutical-grade meth once a week. Most chose the money, and some actually stopped using now that they had a steady income.
>>
File: boredom47.png (1 MB, 1005x763) Image search: [Google]
boredom47.png
1 MB, 1005x763
I spent some time among homeless people so let me elaborate.

Their lives are shallow. They don't have any greater goals in life, no career, no house, no family. No solid basing, nothing to build on. So they don't build anything. They literally live from moment to moment.
This means that all their feelings come from momentarily effects. You find a hundred dollar bill on ground so you are happy for two days. Your clothes get torn apart so you are sad for two days. Over time, they usually learn to cherish the happy moments more and not care about the sad moments, because they always find some new clothes lying around anyway. That is why they seem more happy.

Normal human beings experience emotions differently. We have our basis, our houses, families, possessions, future etc. Our emotions are more hidden on the surface, but deeper. If you get accepted on a college you aren't happy for just two days, you are more or less happy the whole three years that you get to study there. If you loose your job, you get sad for the whole three months before you find a new one. For us its not about momentarily happiness but about happiness put in the context of how we live our lives. That is why your emotions seem so unappealing and filled with stress at first, but can offer infinitely more satisfaction when they are good.
>>
>>24589044

Not homeless here, my happiness has always been momentary.
>>
Only if you're homeless in a country that has winters
>>
>>24589069
It can be applied to robots too, since you guys have no accomplishments and nothing to live for as well

If you have accomplishments, then you just don't realize your long-term happiness. Try NEETing for a few months, you will see how it feels to loose it.
>>
>>24589069
This.
If I got accepted into a super prestigious college I would be happy for, say, 2 months. After that time I'd fucking hate it.
>>
>>24589123

Not true. I accomplished things back in school, even won a few awards. It was momentary.
>>
Homelessness itself isn't actually that bad.

Two things:
1. A lot of homeless people are mentally ill and/or helpless addicts that have fallen through the cracks. That alone is 80% of the reason their situation is so shit, and they need help.
2. There is a huge, HUGE fucking difference between being homeless in one place and traveling. Transport is literally free in many ways and yet some homeless just choose to stay in one spot, as if they have anything tying them down. These are the people that beg for spare change downtown and get pissed on at night. Homeless shelters are about as dangerous as federal pound me in the ass prison, sleeping in the woods is free.

I speak of course of people who are long-term homeless. People who sleep in their cars because they got evicted or whatever, that's just a shitty situation altogether. Imagine being a wageslave and not having a bed and a shower to come home to. Worst of all worlds.
>>
>>24588988
Because capitalism
>>
>>24588842
>Cheap 10 dollars a month gym membership meme
There is no fucking such thing you fuck
>>
>>24588647
you can just hitch or ride up north for the summer too

i feel bad for homebums
>>
>>24589169
A local gym near me offers membership for about 130 euros a year.
>>
>>24589169
university gyms. even outsiders don't have to pay much more than 10, maybe 15 bucks.
>>
>>24589140
What is award for you in the long run?

I mean things that will stay with you for decades, like having a daughter, or career promotion.
>>
>>24589359

Long-run things can be taken from you
>>
>>24589410
Well, thats true. Not that it changes anything.
>>
>>24589505

That's the thing, though. I know that that job promotion may not be a permanent thing. The company could fall on hard times and my position could be gone. It's not a linear progression, your accomplishments are relative and can be gone in an instant
>>
I lost the love of my life and have litterally nothing else keeping me in Paris and I plan to just fuck off walk to the Mont Blanc as soon as winter ends.
Meaning I'll be basically a homeless drifter for at least a month.
Any basic tips I should keep in mind ?
>>
>>24588366
I dunno
alcohol withdrawals suck
if I could be sure id always have a supply of booze id totally be homeless
>>
>>24589536
It sounds like you'd benefit from reading about stoicism. Not to teach you anything since you seem to have the basics down, but to give more coherency or "structure" to your thoughts.
>>
File: weird alien feels.png (221 KB, 410x351) Image search: [Google]
weird alien feels.png
221 KB, 410x351
I was homeless for four months, here's my experience with it.

Not having electricity makes your life so boring that psychosis seems like fun. After the second month or so, I started to realize that my situation wasn't going to magically end due to someone helping me. I started to let go of myself in the sense that I would sit around and hallucinate, talk to myself, talk to the wind, whatever. Although, I spent most of my homelessness alone aside from interacting with a couple other homeless people. I would string up pieces of paper I found as decoration, trying to make my life seem like a bit more fun, although it wasn't fun. I also threw pictures of my family into the ocean to try to revitalize myself, and as a small effort of revenge on them.

There were local showers I would use, but I didn't have soap or shampoo so I would just rinse off in a bathing suit and wait to dry.

I lived in some area where there was little to no panhandling, and I felt begging for money was too degrading. The area was mostly filled with tourist and they did not speak to me or acknowledge me. I didn't expect them to but still.

There was a lot of weird local rumors you would hear, especially between other homeless people about other homeless people. When I did see other homeless people, the big topic of discuss was the past life of a homeless person and how they became homeless. This was usually used as some kind of means to one up other homeless people or create rumors.
>>
>>24588366

I was legitimately homeless for over a year. It was fucking awful. I cannot stress enough how bad that shit was.

It's not as bad as they make it out to be, it's worse.
>>
>>24589824
>When I did see other homeless people, the big topic of discuss was the past life of a homeless person and how they became homeless. This was usually used as some kind of means to one up other homeless people or create rumors.
So its like a IRL /r9k/?
>>
>>24590030
That's actually a nice observation, it sheds light in how so much of the board's culture is based on segregation from society. Maybe all large communities that value being an outcast end up being like /r9k/?
>>
>>24588366
Yes you faggot
Got off work at 10pm from Costco.
We all watched a homeless man in front of the warehouse, changing clothes because it was storming outside and had no where else to go to get dry
We watched him from a camera take his pants off
that situation sounds pretty shitty compared to neet life or wage slave life
I gave him my jacket because I'm sure he needs it more
Stop trolling OP you faggot
>>
>>24589044
Smart dude
>>
File: garyshrug.png (242 KB, 500x382) Image search: [Google]
garyshrug.png
242 KB, 500x382
>>24590030
>>24590214
Yes, it was much like that, but instead if was about being homeless and not autistic sperg. Most homeless people I met didn't really discuss what mental disorders they had but often attempted to guess what other homeless people had.

This area I was in was basically kind of an abandoned marina. By that, I mean people still used it, but not hobbyist rich boat owners, instead poor people. We loved discussing one homeless guy specifically who we all called "Captain Brown", this was because he lived on a small abandoned sailboat that he had painted completely dark chocolate brown. The reason this was so fucking weird is because I imagine the boat got very hot (considering it wasn't painted white) and we don't know how he survived on it. Here's some interesting stuff about him that were likely mostly rumors.

>many other homeless people swore up and down that he only left his boat once a week to buy food
>some swore he had stayed on the boat for months at a time without leaving
>he had reportedly had a daughter at some point, who stopped speaking to him
>many homeless people (including me) had never actually seen his face, but described his face as completely scarred/burned
>he would only leave his boat in the dead of night so no one saw him leaving
>his boat was painted brown to scare tourist/other homeless away from him
>his boat was painted brown due to some kind of deep meaning/sentimental value to him
>someone attempted to rob his boat but got scared as soon as they approached it on a dingy
>he is actually a rich dude hiding away from society/completely insane
>he is mute or at least refused to speak
>>
>have a fear of becoming homeless/starving
>live in NY
>winter is coming
TRIGGERED
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.