[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>interested in what kids today are learning >google common
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: commoncoremainphoto[1].jpg (49 KB, 757x519) Image search: [Google]
commoncoremainphoto[1].jpg
49 KB, 757x519
>interested in what kids today are learning
>google common core shit
>don't understand a single thing

Will our ways of thinking be obsolete soon? How the fuck does a first grader even do this problem?
>>
>>24576567
What the fuck does it mean for a sum to be 'reasonable'? It's either right or wrong.
>>
File: common-core-math-problem[1].jpg (39 KB, 498x307) Image search: [Google]
common-core-math-problem[1].jpg
39 KB, 498x307
why the fuck is it so complicated
>>
If you were going to estimate the value by rounding why the fuck would you round down 291?

Common core is written by retards trying to troll children and parents/teachers who wont be able to teach this to the kids without paying for a 1000$+ seminar.
>>
>>24576617

It's asking if the estimation is a reasonable one.

I'm assuming 'front end estimation' is referring to adding the hundreds (the front of the numbers), and assessing if that estimation is going to be close to the answer or not. It's actually not that hard to understand why it would be a useful tool for kids learning to add 3 digit numbers.

It might get them close to the answer than outright guessing out of nowhere.

I'm a primary school teacher in Australia and I've never even heard of this front-end estimation shit before.
>>
>>24576671

That's just an alternate method which is incredibly useful for kids who struggle with place value. Helps to strengthen the connection that the number in the tens is actually worth 10-90, not just whatever number it is as a unit.

Teacher here again, we call that split addition in australia and is taught at a precursor to using the formal algorithm (the 'old' way).
>>
>>24576617
>>24576677
astrofag here, you estimate shit all the time just to know if it's in the ballpark
this shit's dumb tho, 291 should be estimated as 300 not 200. 500 is not close to 645.......
>>
>>24576753

I didn't say it was the best method of estimation. It's a method they could use as a beginner.

You have no idea how difficult it can be to try and get some kids to understand the concept of reasonable estimation, especially if rounding isn't a familiar concept.
>>
>>24576671
They're pretty much just teaching them to do math with methods that are nice for doing it in your head.
>>
>>24576567
>>24576671
This is being forced on the american education system cause they invested tons of money in finding the easiest way blackies could manage to grasp math, common core was the method. So now everyone is forced to use it, even if they're way beyond it.
>>
File: howmybraindoesmath.png (11 KB, 547x562) Image search: [Google]
howmybraindoesmath.png
11 KB, 547x562
In school, I always tried to find a different way to do whatever we were assigned in a more efficient way. Efficient to my child brain, I guess.
Anyways, I taught myself to do math in a lot of the ways common core now teaches it, way before common core. Although now that I think about it, it wasn't easier, my brain just did it better.
See image.
I take the biggest digits first, then the second digits.
So 500, and then 9+5 is 14, which means it would end up as 140.
So I take the 100 from that and add it on to the 500. Bringing me to 640. last step, take the final numbers and add them together, which is 5.
645- It's really fast in my head but written out seems like a retarded way to do it.
>>
>>24577015
Couldn't you just use textboxes or something? Jesus christ I can barely read it
>>
>>24577015

anyone who is capable of doing mental arithmetic does it this way except when something is memorized, such as 12^2=144.

ex. 32 x 17= 32 x 15 + 2 x 32 = 32 x 5 + 32 x 10 + 64 = 160 + 320 + 64 = 544

breaking it up like that so that just makes it easier to process and allows one to do the math mentally and makes one understand numbers better, which is why common core is trying to teach it this way.
>>
>>24576717
>Teacher here
The fact that you browse this board is concerning.
Please do not shoot up any schools or diddle any kids
>>
>can't understand common core
Are you guys non-white
>>
>>24577362
will your next post be insightful or pointless?
>>
>>24576753
They don't want to confuse kids by teaching rounding and estimation at the same time I guess. Most of the confusing or strange common core stuff is teaching the mental approaches that people in math figured out on their own, instead of only teaching the strict mechanics of the math.
>>
Everything beyond division and money is pretty fucking useless and bullshit.
>>
>>24576671
I mean, I've always done it this way in my head, but I don't think it's a good replacement for teaching the "old" way.
>>
This isn't teaching kids to use their brain. It's just a bunch of fucktarded directions. Literally every kid I've seen has struggled with how nonsensical it is. How about showing them how it works, and letting them decide the quickest/easiest way of reaching an answer, like every does in their head in the first place.
>>
File: 1447709517104.png (2 KB, 158x160) Image search: [Google]
1447709517104.png
2 KB, 158x160
>>24577426
>fucking useless and bullshit
he posted from his computer
>>
I'm a math tutor and I work with some kids who bring in common core. I have no idea what the fuck it's even asking most of the time. Fuck common, stupidest bulllshit ever
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.