[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is gender a social construct?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6
File: tumblr.jpg (246 KB, 619x786) Image search: [Google]
tumblr.jpg
246 KB, 619x786
is gender a social construct?
>>
Your mom's a social construct desu senpai.
>>
>>24564225
Gender doesn't exist so no
>>
>>24564225
No, binary gender is grounded in science, logic and biology. Despite what any of the mentally ill whores on the internet say.
>>
>2015
>you faggots are STILL asking this retarded question

literally kill yourself op
>>
Gender is what you got between your legs. Period. I get gays because gay is a literal fetish. But trans OMG I WUNT TO B A GRILL SINCE I WAS 18 IM GONNA CUT OFF MY DICK AND TURN IT INSIDE OUTTTT HEEE HEEE deserve to die
>>
>>24564225
'...is a social construct' is a truism. It literally says nothing; it means 'hey we can redefine that word if we want'.
>>
It's no use attempting to answer, because people will just counter with ridiculous prescriptivisms over the terms, redefining one of the other so it specifically refers to identity.
>sex and gender are two different things!
This neckbearded shit really gets on my nerves. It's like the people who can't stand that 'literally' often is used as an exagerrating word
>>
>>24564258
It's simple, but not just as simple as you depict it. No definition is 'grounded' in anything; definitions *are* arbitrary. The thing to point out is that the danger lies in a cultural drive to make definitions not refer to matter.
>>
>>24564225
If gender was a social construct then women wouldn't be more predisposed to emotion, and men to logic.

This is why men can never understand why women are upset, and women can never understand why men are upset. What may only graze a womans feelings would be catastrophic to a mans, and vise versa.

Contrary to what /r9k/ says, women do have legitimate reasons for flying off the handle that men just can't grasp, this does not mean however, that women aren't prone to meaningless outbursts, which every single on of them almost certainly is.

Likewise, it must be frustrating to women for a man to be utterly blankfaced and logical about something that upsets them, is it a womans fault for being upset over something so trivial, or her brain chemistry for making her a whining machine?

Is it a mans fault for regarding rationality over emotion, or his brain chemistry for making him somewhat emotionally stunted?

Point is, there is such a thing as gender and it's tied in with biology for 99% of people. However, some people who are MENTALLY ILL, and this is what they are, believe they are the opposite gender than the one they were born as. I don't have a problem with these people, they don't affect my life in anyway and if they are happy being a gender bender then let them, but let's not ever confuse them for mentally stable people.
>>
>>24564225
yes, gender are societally constructed. these roles can vary depending on culture, with some African tribes for example being matriarchal.

But that doesn't mean they're wrong. Think about it. Every single noteworthy civilization and cultural institution is patriarchal. Female submission is the norm in successful societies. Even those that barely knew each other existed. Basically, patriarchy and traditional gender roles are necessary for society to function. Without them, we would return to the anarchy of monkeys and African tribes, and would never accomplish anything great. The decline of society we are currently experiencing is due to the collapse of traditional gender roles.

There's your answer.
>>
>>24564921
>emotionally stunted

This is like calling healthy people 'underdiseased'.
>>
>>24564941
Is it? Can you say you'd go with what your feelings told you over what your logic would tell you? I guarantee you every man would say no, and every woman would say yes.

So yes, men are emotionally stunted just as women are logically stunted. If only there were a way to make both sexes had a middle lane and made decisions based on what was more ample for the situation, because obviously logic cannot solve every problem just as emotion can't solve every problem.
>>
>>24564941
No it isn't? 'Emotionally stunted' is a very common term, I've seen it used in normalfag writing all the time. It just means someone who has not had much emotional development
>>
File: white_white_knights.png (162 KB, 900x615) Image search: [Google]
white_white_knights.png
162 KB, 900x615
>>24564816
>gay is a fetish
>>
>>24564976
>because obviously logic cannot solve every problem
This is where you are wrong and where your argument falls apart completely.
>>
>>24564976
>I guarantee you every man would say no, and every woman would say yes.

What? It is exactly the opposite. Men, being logical, know logic often falls prey to emotion; and so would say yes, that will necessarily happen from time to time. Women, being retarded, will succumb to the Dunning-Kruger and all cry 'no'. Are you a woman?

>>24564992
>emotional development

This term makes as much sense as a course on how to develop addiction.
>>
>>24565045
>Are you a woman?

I want to punch you in the throat for even asking me that. No.

>>24565038
Explain to me how logic will quieten a crying child.
>>
>>24565038
>if I le say you are wrong that means I am right
>>
>>24565038
This.

'If there were no emotion, we would all just sit about passively and do nothing' is a profoundly retarded, unimplementable hypothetical of no value. The simple fact is that as logic, largely corresponding to IQ, increases, either in terms of groups or nations or races, emotionality/impulsiveness goes down and happiness goes up.
>>
File: gender-is-a-social-construct.jpg (86 KB, 480x701) Image search: [Google]
gender-is-a-social-construct.jpg
86 KB, 480x701
>>24564924
>confusing gender for gender roles
>>
File: smugtouhou.png (515 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
smugtouhou.png
515 KB, 1000x1000
>>24565078
>I want to punch you in the throat
Such an emotional response
Hmmmm
>>
>>24565078
>I want to punch you in the throat for even asking me that. No.

Emotional, overreacting, lying woman detected.
>>
>>24564816

That's sex, gender is a linguistic term like adjective or fricative.
>>
>>24565078
>Explain to me how logic will quieten a crying child.
Logically speaking, a child will cry because it wants attention for a variety of reasons. Comforting your child is the only logical response to such behavior unless the child is crying too often about things that it should not be crying about. The level of 'emotional intelligence' required to comfort a child is well within the reach of the vast majority of men. However, the capacity for reasoning required for the most basic of non-emotional argumentation is almost never present in females.
>>
>>24564225
everything is
>>
>>24564921

Men aren't emotionally stunted, quite the opposite. Women are emotionally stunted. You just described it yourself. Men have a better grasp on emotions while women are still battered around with a tempest of feelings they can't understand. Men have more introspection and self knowledge.
>>
>>24565104
>>24565105
p-pls robots stop this, i dont want the only people who have ever shown me a degree of acceptance to think im a succubus hunting for orbiters

i'll prove to you i am a man

i would rather die, or give the mercy of putting my pets to death, if i or they were ever to be castrated

my mom's insanity and shitty parenting is the reason i cant get a gf

i have played and completed Morrowind

>>24565138
touche, okay so maybe i was wrong when i said not all problems can be solved with logic, however, emotions are still vital to the human condition. Do not confuse me saying this by thinking I mean female outbursts are okay, I'm more talking about compassion and respect for life here than being able to cry and talk about feelings
>>
File: 1436474724723.png (48 KB, 213x178) Image search: [Google]
1436474724723.png
48 KB, 213x178
>>24565169
>Afraid of cstration
>cannot get a gf
Um... why are you so afraid of castration anyway?
>>
>>24565138
This. The misconception is that the reason-emotion dichotomy is symmetrical. It is not; there was a point at which reason overtook emotion as the primary civilization-builder/evolutionary adaptation, and we are past it. Autistic people are no longer killed in childhood because they don't make instinct-fuelled, tribal fighters; to foster ever further the standards of the society men have built, such as medical developments, study of causes of behaviour (rejection of free will), robotization, we need less emotion and not more. And don't use 'no true emotion' on me; the female traits of violence and self-centeredness are not the same feelings as underlie altruism or desire to share your knowledge or build things. Those have nearly nothing in common.
>>
>>24565208
Everybody knows women can't get their heads around the value of balls. It might just be me but I'd rather die than have my ability to reproduce taken away.

>implying i will ever reproduce

yes i know
>>
No.

That being said, I pity trannies more than I hate them. The times I've had to lie to myself about things have been some of the most stressful and aggravating times in my life. Can only imagine how something as drastic as basically pretending to live a second life while being a constant reminder that you're lying to yourself makes you so irrational and psychotic. Mental illness needs cured.
>>
>>24565136
>gender is a linguistic term like adjective or fricative

Or 'ejaculation'.
>>
>>24564225
>Genders
No
>Gender roles
Yes

I don't get what is so hard to understand, you're born with a dick, you're male, you like to do STEM/prefer lego over barbie, you're masculine. Born with a vagina, you're a female, prefer to wear dresses or prefer barbies to trucks/army men, you're feminine.

You can be an effeminate man, or a masculine women, that doesn't mean you should chop your dick off or weald a strap on to your vagina.
>>
>>24565136
Every single word is a linguistic term. What's your point?
>>
>>24565227
What about vasectomy?
>>
>>24565169
>emotional attachment to pets
Yeah, you're a woman alright
>>
>oh this thread again

mmmkay?
>>
>>24564225
Sex is strict, gender really is a social construct.
Are you really telling me that all boys without exception are drawn to trucks and girls to babies?

Don't lie, you played with Barbie dolls.
>>
>>24565272
>Every single word is a linguistic term.

The sheer wrongness of this claim left me stunned for a second.
>>
>>24565232
>That being said, I pity trannies more than I hate them. The times I've had to lie to myself about things have been some of the most stressful and aggravating times in my life. Can only imagine how something as drastic as basically pretending to live a second life while being a constant reminder that you're lying to yourself makes you so irrational and psychotic. Mental illness needs cured.

This is also how I feel about trannies. My general opposition to the idea is founded in wanting people to seek help instead of throwing themselves down the degeneration hole only to find more and more misery. Society will never, ever view trannies as something other than a fucked up version of their original gender because there's no way to force a genuine change in the hearts and minds of the masses.
>>
>>24565288
>he thinks gender is the same thing as gender roles
>>
yes but so is rape
>>
>>24565275
Same principle, only a lot less scary because you get to keep your nuts. Still though, if I were to have a vasectomy before reproducing I'd want to die

>>24565277
I take exception to this, my dog was the only friend I ever had that didn't care about how autistic I am and I literally would castrate myself if it meant I got to spend five minutes a year with her. Feeling companionship with a dog is not the same as a "pet". She wasn't my pet, she was my friend. It was entirely different from having a cat you like because it's cute. Dogs understand loyalty, unlike most women.
>>
>>24565258

I've never come across that as a linguistic term before. That's more a biology thing.
>>
>>24565332
>missed the point of the joke
>missed the trips
>>
>>24564225
no it is biological but if you want to be the laughing stock of the scientific community then continue to believe that.
>>
>match with "girl" on tinder
>talk for a bit
>hmm...
>me: (in a nice way) "do u have a vagina tho?"
>person: *refuses to answer question* *is lightly hostile* *questions my morality*

to be fair, it was in a joking context. obviously a real woman would say "yes" immediately. but still. just list it on your profile or something. don't put the awkwardness on me to ask. unless you're just an asshole doing it on purpose. then whatever i guess.
>>
>>24565424
that must have been awkward as all fuck. one the one hand, you risk her not being a trap and being offended you think she looks like one, on the other, it's a fucking trap, and you could get AIDS
>>
>>24565424
dating's going to get real shit as more and more traps get brainwashed as a kid to wear dresses
>>
>>24565513
Honestly the vagina is the least attractive part of a woman.
>>
>>24565590
The vagina is certainly more attractive than the elbow, you mentally ill queer
>>
>>24565643
>he doesn't like the elbow
>>
Sex is undeniable(albeit its actual importance in a social sphere is questionable) but gender as a social factor is technically not real.
All of the main distinguishing features between the sexes are usually part of a cultural push of said sex to do something. Hyper masculinity and "girly-girls" have been the social archetype forced in the past, but now with some of this weird ass sexual liberation shit, guys are acting more feminine and girls are going against the norms. In this sense, gender is infact a social construct, this is mostly why I dont hate trannies and tbqh familia, you guys shouldn't either since most of you dont actually give a shit about biological sex, you guys just want to hate people. Not that I give a shit, but I give a shit about people pretending to give a shit.
>>
Explain to a dumb robot what all this shit means

I'm lost in this thread

What's the difference in sex, gender, and gender roles?
>>
Partially biological, partially a "social construct", though I'd say that the biological part is the one that matteres.
>>
>>24565780
sex = gender

Gender roles are things like how women are traditionally homemakers while men have careers. Things like boys liking toy trucks and soldiers, and girls liking dolls or playing house.
>>
>>24565666
>resorting to memes to dodge the fact you are a trap, and probably not a passable one either
>>
>>24564225
No, gender is a word.
>>
>>24564225
>implying that you should listen to tumblr
>>
>>24564258
Yeah but why do you even care that they want to be non binary gender regardless of if you think it's not grounded in science
>>
>>24566475
The same reason people care that anorexics won't eat.

Compassion. It's not healthy for anorexics to refuse to eat, and it's not healthy for a tranny to mutilate their genitals.
>>
>>24564816
I've displayed a want/desire to be regarded as female from birth. Even at the youngest of ages I was doing girly shit etc wanted to wear dresses to my best friends party bla bla you get the point.

I think if I could right now, I still would want to be a girl but as I've grown and matured I've come to realise it doesn't matter to me nearly as much as it did to my younger self, mostly because I'm a lot less concerned by things like love, finding a boyfriend, what people think of me etc

Do you think I deserve to die because I was born with a feeling that's made me feel ill and disgusted with myself, and that I've strived to fight for my entire life - because if so you're no better than the other shithead who have made life hard as fuck why do you care what other people want to do with themselves?
>>
>>24564225
A lot of things are social constructs. The entirety of language is a social construct. Saying gender is a social construct is like saying cheeseburgers are a social construct.
>>
>>24565751
I essentially agree with this guy. Sex is definite and undeniable. Gender is society's way of appropriating behaviors they find unique to the different sexes and putting an identity they expect people to follow over it. But at the same time, society is what influences these behaviors and as a result, what defines the gender is constantly changing over time as people just stop following the usual norms.

Regarding trannies, I tolerate them to a degree. If what they have isn't some form of mental disease, they are people who submit to the idea of gender wholeheartedly like idiots and fail to grasp that it's truly irrelevant, making it unnecessary to cut their crotch up to appease their sick desires. Still, I wait for the day doctors learn there is something fucked in their brain so we can fix them and stop promoting this disgusting acceptance of bodily mutilation for the sake of not hurting feelings. With where we are now, we need to make an emphasis on everybody acknowledging their birth sex for shit like official documents to even dating. I think it would remove a giant cloud of dishonesty and let people judgement of others without feeling bamboozled in the lomg run.
>>
>>24564225
Medically, yes, gender is based on your identity, sex however, is what you actually are.
>>
>>24566475
Because people try to make it a fucking crime if you don't call them fucking Mx. It's in the fucking dictionary now, look it up. They want to change our language and then the next step is to make it a hate crime to misgender fucking Mx over there because they want to be special.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.