[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> not sure how to "just be myself" > is myself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
> not sure how to "just be myself"
> is myself a fat, lazy wagekek who doesn't like hard work?
> was it my parents who kucked the personality right out of me growing up, because I don't have any strong opinions and hate rejection as an adult?
> am I not living up to my real potential by not being fit and having a career?
> am I miserable because I should be doing something else entirely?
> what if I was really supposed to be a comic book artist or owning a cupcake shop and and going for broke, struggling in the city while making worthwhile experiences?
Who the fuck am I, man. Just be yourself is the most confounding statement I've heard in a while.
>>
>>24557180
It's not an advice you should follow. What they are doing is just trying to shift the blame from your current state solely to how you are acting - removing everything that can't be controlled from it. They do this in part to make themselves feel better about their current state. They want to believe that they are happy because they DESERVE it somehow, not because they got lucky.

That said, if you got unlucky, you don't exactly have many options. You can either roll over and give up or you can make the best with what you have. Now, this is very sad, even if you put 110% effort every day for the rest of your life, you'll probably not even be that much happy... but... it's what you can do.

I'd probably just kill myself if it wasn't damn near illegal to do so, desu. Being born is a curse.
>>
>>24557256
I just don't know where I can find happiness. Usually the little things I appreciate, like the time when I spent a month improving my art or when I had an nice connection with someone, it was short lived. I've never even fucking had a best friend.
>>
>>24557180
aw shit man iktf, I often question who I am. In high school when they assigned those "Who am I?" essays, I would never do them cause I just didn't know what the fuck to write. I often feel like I have no personality and am just an empty shell of a person. Feels bad desu
>>
>>24557401
If you want to fix your depression, you need to fix your depression. That is almost unrelated to everything else going on with your life. Go see a therapist or something. I was speaking more in general. Even if you reach your fullest potential, you'll probably not be all that happy. But that's okay, that's true for most people. Can't have a top without a bottom.

I can't handle fixing my depression because I feel I don't have an excuse to feel as bad as I do. I mean, my life isn't great, but it's not like I'm a starving african child either. And then feeling like I don't even deserve to feel bad only makes me feel worse.
>>
>>24557555
> I can't handle fixing my depression because I feel I don't have an excuse to feel as bad as I do
iktf. I know that I'm being a faggot, but I would like if someone could acknowledge that I look tired or stressed out. I resent the fact that normies can walk around in a shit mood and they get so much attention for having a rough day, while I get this impression of normies acting like I'm inconveniencing them if I'm quiet or share something I'm worrying over. Considering that I'm paranoid, I rarely talk about myself, I still don't know why normies think I just want attention.

>>24557517
> people ask you what you do for fun
> think its a trick question
>>
Memes aside just being yourself is perfectly valid advice once you realize that by that people mean that you shouldn't try too hard when socializing. It's not valid when you're depressed or very socially anxious since in those cases you HAVE to try hard to socialize due to a lack of drive, but in that case you should have therapy.
>>
Since you posted best girl:

>>24557180
You seem to know your weaknesses, so you're already "being yourself" to a very small extent.

It's just do you want to continue being this way? Or do you want to change something in some manner. Either is equally doable. But you probably have desires or goals that you're not fulfilling.

"Just being yourself" involves that version of you with all your goals/desires met. It's somewhere inside you for sure (or else you wouldn't have goals/desires) and that's the version of you normies want to deal with when they deal with you. But fuck normies you should just do this stuff for yourself.
>>
>>24557805
Actually. >>24557847 just gave me an idea for a better phrasing:

When people say "yourself" what they really mean is your persona - the narrow personality made specifically for socializing, rather than voice your inner wants.
>>
>>24557180
Most people, especially normal people, think that the way they think is universal when in reality everyone is very different. When someone says just be yourself they're, without realizing it, telling you to be more like them. This works if you're only after fitting in in a workplace or university but it will never be able to maintain any relationships closer than acquaintance. You can take the advice in another way though, it could refer to being yourself instead of pretending to be someone you're not so that any relationships you do form aren't based on lies. While this view of it is fairly sound it means that, for abnormal people, your relationships have a chance at being strong but finding one to start is going to be very difficult.
>>
The way i see it, it's more about being honest with yourself.
What you like and don't like.
What you feel like doing and what you don't.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.