[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what the hell do people even do at work? whats going on at peoples
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
what the hell do people even do at work?

whats going on at peoples work that could possibly make them need to take up all those hours 5 sometimes 6 days a week?

im 28 and never had a job and this has always fascinated me
>>
depends entirely on the job.

Blue collar jobs is usual 8 hours of actual work i.e building / doing something.

Office work varies and probably has more downtime unless its some random shit hole call center or something
>>
>Work in law
>Traveling to courts, meeting clients, etc. takes time
>People aren't arrested just between the hours of 9-5PM

It'd be cool if no one had legal issues over the weekend or during holidays, but that's not how it works. Finish solving one legal issue, you've already picked up several others. It's good helping people get their lives back together and protect their legal rights. But it's far from always easy.
>>
>work as part of campus dining services
>hours of just walking around cleaning up after slobby ROTC and Greek life kids and putting napkins in boxes
>>
File: _.jpg (139 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
_.jpg
139 KB, 1000x665
I worked in a factory for half a year, it was basically doing the same shit all day. Put some piece of plastic, screws or whatever in a machine, press button, take out and inspect part, do the next part. They expect that you do some number of parts a day, and yes you can do that all day. It's mindnumbing though.

I work in an office now doing programming. Customer has a problem that he wants to solve and give to you, you have the right software and figure out how to put them together. Trial and error, googling solutions, spending days implementing some small function... like doing homework for school but different in a way? I dunno
>>
>>24553209
>What's takes all that time
Learning what goes on "behind the scenes" when starting a new job is always fascinating to me.

I couldn't tell you what people do at a "real" job; you're probably thinking office shit based on the pic and you thinking "how the fuck do they use all that time up". Office jobs fascinate me too because other than programming some shit I can't imagine what others do all day in front of a computer.

I had a friend with a nice paying data entry job though. Apparently medical papers filled out by hand are scanned into computers and an OCR attempts to decipher the handwriting. His job was to review the job the program did and fix any mistakes. Based on handwriting and how well the document is scanned in the program's accuracy could vary wildly. He would get batches of files from various hospitals and do them in bulk. He could "learn" at any time how other types of documents at various hospitals are filled out ("what exactly am I looking at?")
>>
>>24553260
This.
When I was a carpenter, from the moment I clocked in, to the moment I clocked out, I was in the process of building whatever.
I'm a teacher, and I don't even spend the whole 45 minutes of each class teaching, I give a lecture and go around to the kids who need help with their work and ask for such. There are several periods when I just give a lecture and sit there on normiebook while the kids do whatever; of course, that's only for my classes that aren't full of absolute retards.
>>
I'm an engineer, and I begin at 8am and design things until 12pm, I then have a one hour lunch break, resume designing things until 5pm and then I go home.

Funnily enough, time goes really quickly when you're busy at work (which is always in this field) so it's really nice.
>>
Work as a teacher, basically it's like hanging out all day except sometimes your friends (students) get bored and antsy and you have to yell at them to pay attention and/or let them have free time while you look out the window at the rain.

I teach from 9:30 to 7 PM with some long-ass break periods in between. Time ends up going reasonably quickly...
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.