[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you talk about yourself so much? Don't you realize
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1436030778201.jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
1436030778201.jpg
6 KB, 259x194
Why do you talk about yourself so much? Don't you realize that's why nobody wants to talk to you? You don't even pretend to be interested in what anyone else has to say, and wonder why they eventually leave.
>>
>>24544504
I have no desire to be seen as interesting. I do realize that not listening to what other people has to say while talking to them is annoying as fuck though.
>>
That would make sense if I actually tried talking to people.
>>
It's actually true and one of the criticisms that robots are most insulated from. If you ever really try to talk to robots (in Skype/Steam threads for example), you will quickly realise that they're about 50/50 split between the good ones and the bad ones.

The good ones are the ones who are just weird fucking nerds. They will sperg out but they're not self-obsessed, usually more outwardly focused on nerdy shit. A lot of them are like this just because they're too cluelessly autistic to realise that some normies find it overbearing, but they're still pretty chill if you can handle the autism.

The bad ones are the ones who are just endlessly whining. Even when you are also a suicidal weird fat fuck on the internet, you can't just chill together and talk about anime, every goddamn conversation needs to be about how sad they are and how sad their life is and how unfair everything is. They need someone to listen, because no one ever does, but ironically they drive away the only people willing to listen because they take it too far.

I actually tend to be the bad kind so I try to make a conscious effort to stop it, and I make a LOT more friends when I'm good at controlling myself.
>>
>>24544504
It's exactl opposite - when I want to talk about myself some voice tells me "who gives shit about you?!" And man must believe the voice
>>
>>24544583
>>24544504

What kind of talk about yourself is acceptable?

I always try to ask about their interests and get them to talk more about them, but usually I end up talking about my own limited experiences with them.

I'm talking to someone online now and we seem to have a lot in common, but I'm terribly afraid I'll lapse into talking about my own autistic obsessions.
>>
>>24544940
I think it depends on the person, man. Look at my post (>>24544583) and you'll see I'm the kind of guy who never shuts the fuck up, so I know your pain. Someone will say "i played stratego once" and I'll tell them my grand unified theory of Stratego for sixteen hours.

I seem to find some weird fuckers who like that sort of thing, because even when I apologise for it they tell me not to worry and that they like it. Often (not always) they're more quiet types themselves.

But I have other people where I can tell, even through the 'tism, that they have low patience for that shit. You just have to feel the person out and give them opportunities to tell you to shut the fuck up politely.

But I don't think it's ever a good idea to whine endlessly about yourself even though I do it.
>>
>>24544989
>I seem to find some weird fuckers who like that sort of thing, because even when I apologise for it they tell me not to worry and that they like it. Often (not always) they're more quiet types themselves.

I think I oscillate between being this kind of person you described, and sperging about myself on other occasions.

I love listening to my professors and other smart people talk in a detailed way about their interests. I don't respond much because I usually have a very limited background in whatever they're talking about, but I think it's always very interesting and want to hear more. It's kind of like listening to public radio or something.

Knowledgeable people can be very cool. I just usually lack the skills to talk with them on their level, so the most I can do is ask questions and show interest.
>>
>>24545050
I like that kind of thing a lot too. I think my brain just thinks "if you have something well-considered to say or some expertise on this topic, go nuts." Sometimes that means listening to someone describe every aspect of packing a parachute for eleven months, and sometimes it unfortunately means me describing why and when exactly The Simpsons became not good, while some girl tries to kill herself to make it stop.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.