[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you have to be a Chad to get a job in STEM?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: ciot.jpg (30 KB, 537x403) Image search: [Google]
ciot.jpg
30 KB, 537x403
Do you have to be a Chad to get a job in STEM?
>>
That statement only applies to business degrees
>>
>>24543434
Think of it this way. Confidence is not only something that works with girls, it's something that applies to everything. Displaying confidence will automatically make you more likeable. Even somewhat.
>>
File: RNkpD8Y.gif (2 MB, 200x293) Image search: [Google]
RNkpD8Y.gif
2 MB, 200x293
>>24543434

>everyone considers themselves an executive
>no one learns any technical skills
>this is the path to success
>>
>>24543434
how did they calculate that
>>
>>24543443
>this is what STEM fags actually beIieve
>>
>>24543443
>>24543578

It's true. Imagine a surgeon with subpar technical ability and knowledge but had a great personality and communication skills.
>>
>>24543564
They didn't, they just show it on a big screen as a sign of confidence
That's the point
>>
To get a job you need connections, which means you have to be a normie. This applies to any field.
>>
Make great niche product woth your technical skills, market said product with your marketing skills. Sell said product for lots of shekels.

Oh boy no personality needed
>>
both factors matter
estimated softskills / hardskills ratio for degree professions

consulting, presentation 20 / 80
sales 25 / 75
teaching, high school 30 / 70
management 35 / 65
scientific career 50 / 50
teaching, university 45 / 55
medicine, family doctor 40 / 60
architecture, engineering 30 / 70
computer science 25 / 75
inhouse chemist/pharmacologist 20 / 80
medicine, surgeon 10 / 90
>>
im a freshman in college and i fucking dread communication with peers + professors

just give me my degree i don't want to talk about how many internships you're gonna do over the summer
>>
Only a robot would ever see this image and say "Shit..."

This image is meant to be shown to ignorant normals who'll say "Wow! Looks like I don't have to know my stuff at all to get a good job so I can keep giving the college my money even though I'm failing!"
>>
>>24543871
>consulting, presentation 20 / 80
>sales 25 / 75
Do you have these the wrong way round? Those jobs (and management) require loads of soft skills.
>>
>>24543628

Surgeons, math professors, and maybe astronauts are basically the only examples I can think of which are technical-driven prestigious careers. And communication and leadership still play vital roles in those jobs.

Basically every high-ranking job in a company requires personality, not technical expertise. Even the project lead of an R&D team in a pharmaceutical company won't really contribute much by way of his technical expertise, although he's required to have a PhD.

Technical skills matter if you're in a grunt job which gets the technical stuff done. Web designers, programmers, code monkeys. If you want your career to progress from that, you need to develop soft skills.
>>
>>24543871
Let me fix that for you.

consulting (management) 70 / 30
sales 5 / 95
teaching, high school 75 / 25
middle management 80 / 20
upper management 75 / 25
>(omitted scientific career as it was too vague)
A bad professor which hates giving lectures, university 25 / 75
A good professor who teaches students well and inspires them, university 50 / 50
medicine, family doctor 50 / 50
architecture, engineering 25 / 75
computer science, low-level, 20 / 80
computer science, high level (project lead), 60 / 40
inhouse chemist/pharmacologist 20 / 80
chemist/pharmacologist (project lead), 50 / 50
medicine, surgeon 10 / 90
lawyer (solicitor), 50 / 50
lawyer (litigator), 70 / 30
>>
>>24543434
Soft skills in professional don't always transfer to personal life and visa versa. Richard Nixon was a phenomenal politician but would have been awkward and out of place at a relaxed party where he wouldn't be working.
>>
>>24543434
No, the top of my classes are always me, this Elliot Rodger half Asian who hates the world, and a balding perma virgin. Out professors recommend us to companies based on how good we are in their classes, even though for me personally, I don't really talk to them at all.

We all just got offered research internships at 18 an hour for our last year and a half.
>>
>>24543628
the autists in med school are forced into pathology residencies. you dont get into an alpha specialty like surgery if you fuck up the residency interviews.
>>
Financial success is 100% knowledge. Spend less than you earn, and that's literally all there is to it. If almost think it's impossible to fuck up if not for all the idiots willingly and purposely going out of their way on purpose to live paycheck to paycheck.

For extra credit invest in mutual funds. It's so simple though. You can't spend money after you've given it to someone else.

Poor people are bad and stupid and deserve every bad thing that happens to them and more.
>>
Electrical engineer here. You only need to know vague concepts about engineering in order to work. Everything is modeled on computers and you have to figure out if the results are in the ballpark.

Interpersonal skills are more important. I spend most of my time getting information from other people and getting people to do work for me. If you can't convince people to help you using your social skills, you have to do work for them which adds to your workload. Communication gets you raises and promotions faster since you are more visible to your boss and your boss's superiors.
>>
>>24545883

I'm an autist in nursing school and already got an extern and internship lined up. The interviews are piss easy. You just have to demonstrate confidence in your ability. Interpersonal skills are worthless in the medical field outside of medsurg and family practice, those are the most worthless areas of medicine too.

I'm going into anesthesia. Anesthetist is the perfect robot job. You can never make a mistake or people die and there's very little socializing. Just a quick interview asking about malignant hyperthermia and then you gas them and stand around while the surgeon slices and dices, then you bring them back.
>>
>>24546022
residency interviews and nursing interviews are two completely different ball games. the interviews for residency are not easy. even the chad thundercocks of med school are smart as fuck and capable of being technically proficient surgeons.
>>
>>24546022
also you are literally retarded if you think you can never make a mistake or kill someone in anesthesia. you are the reason why MD anesthesiologists are fighting tooth and nail against CRNAs -- because you're all too fucking stupid to know what you don't know, and it has and will continue to get patients killed.
>>
>>24546080

Funny how all the research says anesthetists are just as good as anesthesiologists. My state doesn't even require one be over me anymore. They are truly worthless doctors. Just overpaid pencil pushers and managers, and the law is making it easy to put them in the trash where they belong. Anesthesia has always been a nursing thing. I don't know why anesthesiologist even became a thing desu.

If you really care about pt safety then get on a nursing committee and suggest ce topics. No one is falling for the le they don't know what they don't know meme anymore.
>>
>>24546080
You're literally retarded because you completely misunderstood what he was saying. He's saying that you can never make a mistake, because the consequence for the patient is death, and that's why he likes the job.
>>
>>24546141
>all the research

yes, all of the research funded by nursing unions. whatever, i don't care. i quit medicine because it's the ultimate kek profession. you'll be the one in court for killing a patient through your own incompetence, not me.
>>
As an undeclared freshman, what should I study in order for internships/jobs fall into my lap? I'm willing to do pretty much anything as long as it's just a Bachelor's.

I'm not the best at STEM but I desire a stable job.
>>
>>24546242
accounting. make sure you are CPA eligible by the time you finish school -- you might need to do a masters degree.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.