[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Driving lessons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3
File: Screenshot_2015-11-23-22-19-43.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-23-22-19-43.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
ITT: I teach people how to drive.

Ask your questions and post your uncertainties and I'll answer them.
>>
why cant the wheels be triangle OP?
>>
>>24541830
Car always turns off when I take my foot off the clutch pedal
What do? I can never get the timing right
>>
>>24541865
How do I dorifuto?
>>
>>24541888

If you're learning to drive stick, focus on getting the car to move only a couple of feet at a time, and don't worry about getting it fully in gear. Slowly let the clutch out until the revs start to drop and the car starts to pull a bit. Then put the clutch back in, and repeat the process.

Eventually you'll get a good feel for when the clutch starts to engage, and you can then add a bit of accelerator and let the clutch out fully. I think that starting is the hardest part of learning stick so once you get over this you should be mostly in the clear.
>>
How do I parallel park desu
>>
when you have to stop,do you just brake or downshift and brake?
>>
>>24541946
Seconding this
I let the car slow, then break the car directly but it turns off
>>
If you can't drive by the time you go to college are you fucked, socially?
>>
>>24541830
I'm extremely scared of driving but I live in the middle of nowhere and need to use a vehicle to get around.
I have a learners permit but have only tried driving twice for a very short amount of time.
im 6'2 but being behind the wheel makes me feel much smaller and one of my biggest fears is seizing up behind the wheel and hurting myself and others, how do I get past this fear so I can progress in my life?
>>
>>24541830
How do I parallel park using an E-brake drift?
>>
>>24541888
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0JfoSxGwx3c
>>24541977
>>24541977
Let's say you're driving in 5th gear and want to make a full stop you just press the clutch and brake leaving the gearbox in 5th, then if you want to go again shift into first and drive.

The gearbox will show least resistance when shifting into first on full stop.
>>
>>24542006
>Implying you were fucked socially for every other reason already, you pathetic nigger desu baka senpai.
>>
>>24542006
A group of people usually has its driving capacity. One driver in a group usually handles 3 or 4 non drivers. If your friend group has the driving capacity that includes you you won't even notice the not being able to drive part.

>>24542015
Same height, it is just a point of being comfortably numb to the risks of being hurt and hurting others. I never forget about it and consider it a quality.
>>
How do I get over my fear of driving enough to actually get a license?
>>
>>24541945
Avoid parallel parking as a beginner, it takes time to practise, to actually do and is especially hard to do under the pressure of traffic.

If you have to do it, pick the largest spot you can find. There are a lot of instruction videos on this but practise is the key, most drivers I know never learned it and avoid it. They live without ever doing a parallel park.

If you want I'll write down the steps.
>>
>>24542101
What do you fear when driving, there is so many things to fear?

But as every fear it will fade with your confidence in your abilities to handle situations. Learning to control the throttle pedal and being sure you always have plenty of throttle was key for me.
>>
>>24542084
How do I reach the point of numbness about the risks?
I'm more comfortable using guns than driving.
>>
>>24542245
Have you tried driving slowly?
>>
>>24542277
Yes, the first time I drove I almost backed into my fathers garage
>>
>>24542298
Do you have anyone to sit next to you and maybe tell you everything you should do?

It isn't at all humiliating, it's a part of the learning process.
>>
>>24542171

My most irrational fear is driving in a slope. The one coming after that one are intersections. I'm also scared that I may lack the aptitude to learn how to drive a car.
>>
>>24542516
If it's a steep and short slope just use the clutch and brake, if it's less of a steep slope shift into second and hold the brake lightly.

In the intersections wait for the green light and follow the Priority to the right rule if there are no lights.

I lack the aptitude to do anything in life, even the simplest of concepts are out of reach to me, I don't feel comfortable talking or thinking about any form of science or art but I still drive.
>>
>>24542336
Yes my dad was sitting with me when I almost backed into his shit, we both had a laugh but I'm still extremely fearful of driving
>>
I'm learning to drive, i have plenty experience driving in simulators, but when i drive i feel like everything is going too fast, i sweat like hell and when i finish that drive i don't drive again for another period. since the last time it has been over 12 months
does the fear every go away?
what wrong with me
>>
>>24542621
>>24542700

I'm just a guy that knows how to drive well, not a certified brain doctor.
>>
>>24542765
You started the thread
>>
>>24542765
then have you had any students who had severe nerves/fear/anxiety when driving?
>>
>>24542819
It's true. I can try to answer this guy.
>>24542700
I felt the same.

After I started learning to drive even driving with other people was super fast to me. I would grip the passenger seat with whole my strength and when I was driving I kept going 50km/h maximum because everything over was too fast.

It just went away.
>>
>>24542836
I focus on bonding with them a bit, keeping a soft voice and a friendly but teaching attitude. The thing is I can force someone to do something, if they fear it I can make them do it even when they fear it and show them that is nothing.
We can go on a parking lot and repeat it a milion times. I tell a stupid joke and make the anxiety go for a few minutes, the 35 hour minimum I'd enough for anyone to learn how to pass on a 15 minute test.

I cannot make someone listen to me trough a post of reassure them with a few faint letters.

Most people lack the dexterity to handle all the tasks at first and fear the passing traffic in the other lanes. I never dealt with pathological fear of driving and I think it would be cruel to force someone onto driving if they have such conditions (especially if them stem from previous painful experiences or tragedies).
>>
File: 1448400497838.jpg (33 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
1448400497838.jpg
33 KB, 500x376
I'm gonna be driving for the first time on saturday and i'm nervous as fuck. I don't know if i can figure how to work the clutch and shit.

fuck
>>
>>24543087
Just get an automatic car.

Who the fuck drives a stick these days

Come on it's 2015
>>
>>24541888
give it a little gas before taking the foot completely off the clutch pedal
>>
>>24543105
>le John Oliver face
>>
How do I drift in a manual transmission car?
>>
>>24543442
jam the accelerator to the floor and release the clutch as fast as possible

make sure your e brake is on too
>>
How do you safely merge onto highways? When there's traffic I'm always nervous that I'll crash.
>>
>>24543461
Flat gas pedal then a little dash of handbrake before turning
>>
>>24543489
Drive slowly in the side lane, the one which you're merging from, switch lanes when you have the chance.

If you get to the end of the lane, wait there and engage in the procedure when condition are right.

Be cocky only when you're switching lanes in front of good cars because their drivers rather slow down than let their cars get hurt.
>>
>>24543489
You wait untill there's enough time to merge into traffic ya fucking goof.
>>
>>24543489
get good at judging distances with your side mirror. the only time you're going to have problems merging is if the person in the lane is a complete prick and won't slow down or speed up to give you space, it doesn't happen often though. maintain the same speed as the cars in the lane you're trying to merge in.

merging is easy. the most unsafe thing on highways are the entries where you have stop before you get on, because there's no merging lane. those are fucking dangerous especially in high traffic areas. there's a couple near me where i have to do that and every time i do it when there's traffic i get nervous.
>>
>>24543577
>>24543596
>>24543688
I just always get nervous when there's a line of cars in the slow lane (and/or semi) and I worry that I'll be incapable of merging since they give me no room. It hasn't happened yet though so I guess my fears are a little unfounded. Thanks guys.
>>
>>24543892
semis shouldn't be in the slow lane in the first place unless they're about to get off. they stick to the middle lane 98% of the time.

sometimes you just need to force yourself in, unless the person is clueless they will slow down and give you space. they're not going to fuck up their car and hit you just to not let you in.
>>
>>24543105
not everyone here is american son.
>>
>>24543105
Stick is the most widespread variation of cars, only the United States like to differ, as usual.
>>
>>24542129
What are the steps?
>>
>>24541888
Floor it and dump the clutch pussy
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-26-18-43-55.png (253 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-26-18-43-55.png
253 KB, 1080x1920
>>24544128
For some reason 4chan blocks me for asci code.
>>
I drive a 12-14 passenger shuttle bus for my job. I've gotten pretty good at it but I was wondering if you had any tips for me? I guess my biggest problem is I keep clipping curbs while making right turns and I'm always afraid of my backend whipping out to hit someone despite it never being a problem.
>>
>>24544592
40 cm away from curb, not curve.
>>24544660
Depending on where you drive some roads will make it very hard for you to make those turns but don't be afraid to go further into the turn before making it (be cocky relying on your size).

If your afraid of your back end going into the other lane, your turns should be a hit less sharp.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.