[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is alcohol good? I want to see what all the fuss is about. What's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6
File: 1442392728703.jpg (146 KB, 850x1063) Image search: [Google]
1442392728703.jpg
146 KB, 850x1063
Is alcohol good? I want to see what all the fuss is about.

What's the point of drinking? Is it the drunk feeling? Is that why people become alcoholics?
>>
>>24522495
I like the taste of beer and wine.

I like the warm relaxing buzz that drinking gives. It's soothing and comforting. I drink mostly out of boredom.
>>
>What's the point of drinking? Is it the drunk feeling?
Yes

> Is that why people become alcoholics?
No, that's because alcohol is an addictive substance.
>>
Certain alcohols complement the flavors of certain foods.

It enhances the experience of eating even further.

Red wine and steak, IPA beer with anything savory, etc etc.
>>
>>24522609
Eh, I guess it's addictive, but it's not that difficult to stop drinking, I feel. I like to drink nearly every day, but if I can't it doesn't ruin my day or anything.
>>
>no alcoholic milf gf
>>
all alcohol tastes like shit but if you drink it you get to have fun and be happy for a couple of hours
>>
>>24522697
Spot the child, ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>24522657
I agree, but some people are more susceptible to addictions. Drinking every day is only a problem if it negatively affects other areas of your life, like if all you turn up to work drunk, or can't pay any bills because you spent it all on alcohol.
>>
I feel like a normie when I drink, so it's like indulging in blissful ignorance.
>>
>>24522495

Decreases social inhibitions. Gives a mild pleasant happy feeling.

>>24522657

Only a problem if you drink a lot everyday, and can't stop. I'd say max 3 drinks a day typically is fine, but if you're downing the equivalent of a six pack of beer every night then you have a problem.
>>
>>24522773
This to be completely honest with you famalamafamalamalam
>>
>>24522495
Getting drunk is a pretty great feeling and an easy way to feel good, which is why I try to avoid it. Being an alcoholic must be hell.
>>
>>24522736
who needs their livers
>>
>>24522635

Has a good point. Pizza and beer are a combination that works perfectly. Also try wine and pasta, it's basically required if you're having proper Italian.

>>24522495

Also this article. Keep in mind you won't be able to try this until you know how to moderate yourself - as in not too much, not too little, right at the sweet spot.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150908045455/http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issues/03_03/03-03_zen_drinking_alone.htm

>>24522697

Cheap alcohol tastes like shit. Even if you've never touched a drop, there are excellent drinks and liquors that go down smooth and taste fantastic - and not just oversweetened mixed drinks. Beer does take some time to get used to if you're a new drinker. Try with food. Get a burger or pizza and have a decent blonde ale. Tell me it's not good.
>>
Bukowski wrote, that when youre drunk life takes the boot of your throat for a short while. Thats why people get drunk
>>
Alcohols pretty great if your with other people it makes socializing a lot easier. Getting black out drunk is interesting the first few times but the puking/ headache/embaressment afterwards gets old pretty quick. I'd rather smoke some bud or take some opiates instead, the alcohol "high" is kinda dirty and sloppy.
>>
>>24522918

That's not sloppy on alcohol's part, that's just sloppy drinking. I drink to a nice buzz and maintain it. I haven't had any issues with headaches or hangovers or anything else since the first time or two drinking to excess, and I've been drinking almost daily for going on .... 20 years now. Also, for every drink of alcohol, you drink an equivalent glass of water at some point before sleeping or whatever. It's not complicated.
>>
>>24522495
Drink Absinthe and feel like a hero.

Don't take flaming absinthe shots though. I'm pretty sure its the reason why I didn't hallucinate.
>>
>>24522495

A word of caution OP. For your first time drinking, stand up for most of it. The level of drunkeness can sneak up on you if you're sitting down the whole time.
>>
> Drink
> Fap
> Need to piss
> Urine "stuck" in bladder
> Wait a while for it to come
> Nearly pass out

WTF happened to me?
>>
>>24522908
that article is triggering my alcoholism
>>
>>24522908
I can stomach beer sometimes even if I'm not that big a fan, but whenever I drink beer with food it just makes everything taste worse.

I'd rather just get trashed on liquor than drink something that tastes good with my food.
>>
>>24522996

Hallucination with absinthe was a propaganda hitjob by the French wine industry. When wine took a hit due to all their roots getting killed off, absinthe took over its market. To stop that the wine industry started rumors about absinthe being adulterated and hallucinogenic.

The type of drunk from absinthe is a little bit different than most other liquors, but only subtly. You feel more clear headed. Also don't buy shitty absinthe, like the swill from the Czech Republic. That's just moonshine with green food coloring. Pernot is the best absinthe overall. There are some from the Swiss Valley as well that are quite good.

Considering it's made to be mixed with water and with a sugar cube dissolved into it, I don't see the point of taking it any other way. The flaming thing is just a gimmick for trashy college kids.
>>
>>24523075
Basically this. The thujone can have a bit of an effect, but it's not as if it's a full blown hallucinogen.
>>
>>24523035
>what is prostate

I have experienced similar, I think some people's prostates are more sensitive to alcohol or something.
>>
>>24522969

I don't know after experiencing the sweet warm hug of an opiate alcohol just feels like it's dirty retarded cousin
>>
>>24523043

It's from the now defunct Modern Drunkard Magazine, it should.

>>24523046

So you drink just for the effect. Stick to vodka and everclear then.

On hot summer days, I don't think you can beat a good gin and tonic with lime. In winter, I strongly suggest trying an Irish coffee.

For me, I drink half for the taste of the drink and half for that buzzed pleasant feeling.

Oooh! Also try Disarrono in coffee.
>>
>>24522723
>le I am so refined and adult I enjoy the rotten fruit liquid that tastes like variations of piss and paint thinner
quit lying to yourself
you are drinking literally watered down poison that your body is actively trying to get you not to drink by making it smell and taste horrible, and there is nothing wrong with that, but don't try to claim that it tastes good
>hurr durr it's an acquired taste
this is the most retarded sentiment that exists
if you have to force yourself to drink something over and over just so it becomes tolerable it isn't tasty
>>24522908
all alcohol tastes like shit
back when I had the money and I wasn't sold on the idea that all alcohol tastes like shit, I used to buy $100 bottles of wine and beer from europe in the hopes that it would be drinkable, but wine and beer are the fucking worst tasting things ever, you can taste the rotten grapes and wheat.
these days I just down a cup of vodka as fast as I can and wash it out with dr pepper
at least vodka tastes sterile.
>>
People either drink because they enjoy the taste or they enjoy the sedation. Or both. Alcohol is a drug. It's pretty simple.
>>
>>24523150

I don't deny opioids are a trick unlike any other, but I won't touch the stuff. I'd like it too much.

Plus the downside: When the time comes in your life when you don't want but NEED effective pain control - surgery, medical conditions, et cetera - you're fucked. You've used up the efficacy of narcotics on the high, and you'll never get proper pain control again. Limited at best, even if you stopped using decades ago. I work in a Burn ICU. We get a lot of addicts coming through, and the ones who have used opiates have a shitty time to say the least.
>>
>>24523164
>these days I just down a cup of vodka as fast as I can and wash it out with dr pepper
Maximum pleb. You drink like a child in highschool.
>>
>>24523164

Chugging random alcohol improperly with no sense of taste or purpose about it, not trying it with food, no wonder. Did you even let the wine aerate at all? What temperature did you drink it at? Things like that. A lot of the world drinks wine, so you are something of a minority on the subject. But that's okay, everyone has unique taste and maybe it really does come out tasting shitty to you. Stick to Long Island Iced Teas as well, you can't even taste that there's any alcohol at all in those. I wonder if you'd even hate limoncello.
>>
>>24523273

I will say there is one type of alcohol I cannot stand no matter what type of it I try: Baijiu. That shit is rotgut, even the ones that come in 2000 USD equivalent bottles. It does one thing and one thing only - gets you stinking drunk. Literally, since it tastes and smells like motor oil.

I have to assume that's on purpose though.
>>
>>24523273
To be fair to him, wine scammers have pretty much already proved that most wine "connoisseurs" can't tell a $10k bottle from a $10 bottle.
>>
33 year old here, i cant stand how beer and coffee taste, i cant stand how water tastes like nothing either, lets not even talk about cigarettes which made my mouth taste like literal ashes the one time i tried to smoke one, one puff and i was gagging, i blame my alcoholic father who put me off all that, he was a disgusting human being and i guess my subconscious really doesnt want me to end up like that.

>oh anon you would rather have soda/juice with your meal? hahaha that's cute, even my 5 year old girl drinks coffee

hahaha, shut the fuck up
>>
>>24523400

Oh I agree. The documentary Mondovino did a great job showing how hacks control the industry these days. Wine should ideally never cost most than 50 USD a bottle at most, with the vast majority at no more than 30 USD. There are plenty of great wines at the 10-30 dollar range, I never spend more. Wine shouldn't be elitist, and in the places it really comes from, it isn't.
>>
>>24523504

Next time be completely deadpan and say your alcoholic father ruined your family and they'll have to forgive you having a negative association with the stuff.

They'll never do it again.
>>
>tfw never ever tasted anything stronger than energy drink
>>
>>24522495
>tfw got drunk on dad's rum last night and threw up everywhere

Never again bud
>>
File: Drug_danger_and_dependence.png (32 KB, 722x420) Image search: [Google]
Drug_danger_and_dependence.png
32 KB, 722x420
>>24522808
>I'd say max 3 drinks a day typically is fine
No it's fucking not. Alcohol is fucking poison and fucks up your entire body, it's a hard drug. No drug should be used on a daily basis. I still drink though.
>>
>>24523538
It's not necessary, the few times i hang out with male orcoworkers they only mention it once and then move on to talking about their facebook memes, the bing bong theorem and their lives, all my relatives know why i dislike the things so much.

It's when women are involved that i get mocked relentlessly, but i avoid them so it's ok.
>>
File: 1422741316232.jpg (45 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1422741316232.jpg
45 KB, 600x600
>tastes like shit
>makes you feel good for a few hours
>makes you feel like shit for a few hours the next day
>makes you die if you drink too much at once or over your lifetime
>might addict you
Alcohol fuckin blows
>>
>>24523511
>Wine shouldn't be elitist, and in the places it really comes from, it isn't.

I agree, believe it or not I found really good local wine for <$15 a bottle where I live in the south east US. Then I read about how prohibition destroyed the wine industry in the south and was pretty upset and everything we could have had.
>>
>>24523605

Ooga booga. The United States has a less than objective history with legislation and categorization of dangerous and not so dangerous drugs. The scheduling system and marijuana being the most topical example of bullshit politics being injected into what should be a scientific approach. Look at all the bullshit with AA. In fact a lot of the demonization of alcohol in the US can be traced back to anti-immigrant prejudice on the part of xenophobic xenophobic Protestants. All those nasty Germans with their pilsners and papists with their wine...

Look at continental Europe. Wine in many places in a daily thing. Alcohol, IN EXCESS, is a terrible terrible drug and one of the worst when it comes to abuse. I take care of detoxing patients and I've dealt with Stage IV liver failure patients, believe me I know. One of the worst ways to die. But there's no need to exaggerate it with this DARE level nonsense that it's poison. I'd say three drinks back to back daily is not ideal for health, but not necessarily terrible either. Just means check your LEs with your doc on regular basis. 3 drinks over the course of the day? Absolutely fine.
>>
drinking is honestly not even very enjoyable if you've been teetotaling for a while. Your intelligence and motor skills are noticeably retarded and there's a struggle involved to maintain composure

your sleep quality suffers, you are undeniably consuming a neurotoxic carcinogen that's expensive.... not worth your while unless you're a normie, man.

the "function" of drinking is to increase discussion in social groups. It's why drinking is so institutionalized as a recreational activity despite terrible effects on our society. If you want to get the "medical" effect of wine just drink it dealcoholized as the benefits are greater. Alcohol's a cancer
>>
>>24524080

I'm in Missouri, we used to have a lot of vineyards here too at one point. Hopefully with the beer industry just now starting to recover we'll see wine expanding out of California. There are a few modest attempts in Missouri but they're all quite shit at the moment.
>>
>>24524082
ooga booga look at where marijuana is on the chart you butthurt asscrying yank - google the image and you find out it's from "Gable, R. S. (2006). Acute toxicity of drugs versus regulatory status" and not anything like what you're talking about

if anything alcohol is valorized by cocksuckers like yourself who've been educated by inbred yank cousins who get their information from beer commercials and alcoholics. Eat shit
>>
>>24524187

Well shit, I guess I have to stop giving my patients morphine or even dilaudid! I'll tell them the addiction potential is just too high - they'll understand, I'm sure.
>>
>>24522657
I dated an alcoholic. It's a dependency on alcohol, your drinking every day would be substance abuse. I find it odd that robots claim to be deep with introspection and wisdom, but cannot comprehend a disease such as alcoholism.

I do not mean to be crass however, making this thread is a good way to share knowledge and educate yourself on matters and harks back to a time when the board was more than "tfw no gf ".

I van answer any questions you may have and will answer them to the best of my abilities. I dated an alcoholic for 2 years.
>>
I posted this in another thread but it died so I'll post it here

http://ilyke.com/u4770p5626/this-is-what-happens-when-you-drink-2-liters-of-alcohol-a-day/70603/?pid=0
>Friend concerned about my drinking tags me in this on facebook
>Comment "Wow I better step my game up"

Anyways how do you know if you just like drinking or you're an alcoholic?

Like I don't drink heavily on worknights(maybe one mixed drink or a few beers) if at all. When I have days off I usually drink about half a 750ml of rum a night with coke. I'll go through 2 bottles a week, maybe 3 if I have a bunch of days off in a a row.

I'm concerned about it but I can function without booze, I just prefer not to ya know?
>>
There are high quality beers, wines, and liquors out there that are absolutely delicious, and since they are related there are also certain types of benzos that are absolutely terrific like clonazepam and clonazolam, I also hear great things about GHB and GBL. That being said, all GABAergic chemicals are incredibly destructive when not used in moderation and have the worst side effects and dependence for what is basically just a drunk high that isn't worth writing home about.

>>24523035
This happens to me every time so I pretty much try to not fap on alcohol anymore.
>>
>>24524241
which is a false equivalency if they're in severe pain you yankee

better stop shaving my ass because obama says beards are cancerous
Y A N K L O G I C
>>
>>24524303

I would be concerned. A bottle of hard liquor should last at least a week. If you do keep going with it please have regular checkups with a doctor and watch your liver labs. Be prepared for the day when you are told you need to stop completely.

>>24524311

I'm sorry about your 'lad' culture, but don't take it out on alcohol.
>>
>>24524242
The thing with alcohol is that certain people are much more pre-disposed to abuse it.

Some people may love to drink, but have no problem stopping and don't develope the dependence that another might.

It's just bad luck.
>>
>>24524303

In short, I'd consider you a functional alcoholic. The ones who can't function get all the attention, but the liver failure at the end is the same.
>>
>>24524458
Heritability plays a role too. My ex was native American, a culture that only experienced alcohol within the last 200 years or so, so the ability for their body to break down alcohol is substantially lower than others.
>>
Hey, how about number 5?
>>
>>24524478

Specifically it's the fact of your drinking on your days off that would concern me. As if that's your only way to relax and deal with stress.
>>
File: 1418428365064.jpg (93 KB, 595x842) Image search: [Google]
1418428365064.jpg
93 KB, 595x842
>>24522495
Alcohol is good
So is Rinko
>>
>>24524551
It's mainly out of boredom, my life consits of getting up at 3 am for work and then vidya once I get off.

>>24524440
>Hard liqour should last a week
Wew lad

Idk man I just need shit to do besides sit around my house but all my friends are busy or just straight up blow off plans when they're the ones who made them.
I dunno what to do senpai.
>>
File: men.png (202 KB, 760x796) Image search: [Google]
men.png
202 KB, 760x796
>>24524440
hmm. Binge drinking going up, cancer going up. All from a type 1 carcinogen on par with smoking. What could be the relationship?

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/824237

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/10report/chap02e.pdf
>>
Luckily I can't drink a lot, I guess my body sucks at breaking it down so I can easily drink too much at once and throw up, or drink too much in a single night and throw up, or drink too much the day before and be throwing up part of the next day from a terrible hangover. I have an addictive personality so I would definitely be an alcoholic.
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 572x847) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 572x847
>drinking limoncello on the Amalfi coast, soaking in the sun and looking out over the sea
Truly the highest point of my life
>>
op here, i made this thread and now im too lazy to read all the replies
>>
Good beers are delicious. I like them cold and preferably cheap.
>>
Don't buy shit tier products. Buy vodka, spirits (cherry!) and ale.
>>
>>24522495
Yes it's good. Different kinds obviously taste different etc, but on average it's good. The buzz is the point for some people, for others it's the social aspect. You go for a drink with friends to catch up, you toast at weddings etc.

As far as alcoholics go, I think groups like AA would argue that a given person was always an alcoholic with or without alcohol involved. It's like a bomb that needs a spark to light the fuse.

Which is to say drinking doesn't cause alcoholism, but it can trigger people predisposed to alcoholism into acting out etc. If there's no alcoholism in your family (like parents, grandparents) then you're probably ok. And there are a lot of high functioning alcoholics that can drink and handle themselves just fine.
>>
>>24523605
2 drinks per day as a male, 1 per day as a female is the generally accepted upper limit to get the health benefits from alcohol but not the negative effects from excessive use.
>>
>>24523986
Counterpoint:
>tastes good if you're not a pussy
>feels good man
>no hangover if you know your limits
>gonna die anyway
>might not addict you

Alcohol is pretty great.
>>
>>24522495
if you start drinking out of sorrow or regret it gets really hard to stop been down that path dont do it.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.