[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Computer Science capture the most polarizing students? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 13
File: programming while crossdressing.png (1 MB, 1702x2471) Image search: [Google]
programming while crossdressing.png
1 MB, 1702x2471
Is Computer Science capture the most polarizing students?

I feel that CompSci majors are either ultimate-betas, or mega-chads.

What do you guys think? Think it's another major?
>>
I've gotten the same impression as you, but the mega-chads are pretty rare though.
>>
I think that, like most degrees, is a waste of time.

You can get a programming job without a CS degree.
>>
>>24519675
Wow! Thanks for the contribution, m8.

You guys are just like atheists, popping in to give your opinion no matter how unwarranted or irrelevant it is to the discussion.

Also, Computer Science isn't programming.
>>
>>24519730
Programming is what you will do for a job when you get a CS degree, because its the practical application of computer science.
>>
>>24519858
Programming is still a gross simplification of Computer Science.

I'm only a year and half into the major and I know this. Any actual CS major would laugh at you putting that vague as fuck label on it.

Stop posting. No one is impressed.
>>
File: 1435590438522.gif (229 KB, 500x579) Image search: [Google]
1435590438522.gif
229 KB, 500x579
>>24519565

Medical engineer studying with pretty much every technical major here.
A quick rundown on the majors.

>Mechanical Engineering
Turbo-chads and overcrowded as fuck. A ton drops out and only the average ones stay, still too chad for arcanine.
>Electrical Engineering
A pool of advanced autism, occasionally doted with chads, most of them cant withstand the influence of EE and turn autistic themselves.
>Civil Engineering
Fuck those guys. A mixture of hippies, chads and SJWs. Probably the most annoying major I had the displeasure of dealing with.
>Chemical Engineering
High female ratio, basically the go to major if you want to call yourself an engineer, but are too stupid for mechanics or electronics, but also too stupid for advanced chemistry. Most extroverted major I have seen so far. Pretty chad/10.
>Logistics
Extremely high female ratio, maths is hardest course in their curiculum. Basically most females are in this major, you can already expect that its Stacy central.(Ironically even more than art majors)
>Technical Mathematics
Only seen a couple of guys from that one, supposed to be a soul eating tempest of autism.

And finally:
>Computer Science
Rare breed at my university, freshman are already weird, but pretty much my caliber (so, yes, pretty beta and not pussy magnetizing). Did not see any chad in their rows yet, only some people who seemed to transcend humanity or are on their way there. People in CS who are finishing the degree are barely human anymore as it seems.
Liked their courses, but am afraid of going deeper, fearing what it might turn my brain into.
>>
>>24519858

You do not know shit about CS.
The stuff computer science deals with is extremely dejected from actuall programming applications. Even languages which are on a deeper technical level, like C for example, only dip lightly into computer structures.
CS is something between EE and programming, but cant be replaced by either of them.
>>
File: 1425363481287.jpg (51 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1425363481287.jpg
51 KB, 400x388
>>24520020
>people in CS who are finishing the degree are barely human anymore

I can feel myself falling out of touch with people.

I'll leave class to just listen to music staring at the ceiling or sky or some shit.

I don't want to say it's inherent to the degree, though. Maybe it's just a bad mixture of CS, no friends, and /r9k/. I don't know.
>>
>>24520100

Well, CS people normally know only basics of EE to have a grasp on what parts they are working with and need to have basic understanding of how their constructions should perform, so they need basics of programming.

They are not really well versed on either one, only on that plane that is CS.
>>
File: 1424022613123s.jpg (7 KB, 208x249) Image search: [Google]
1424022613123s.jpg
7 KB, 208x249
>>24520020
Very funny post . I wish I had an education so I could feel with you.
>>
File: 1412799116528.jpg (35 KB, 486x354) Image search: [Google]
1412799116528.jpg
35 KB, 486x354
GO SOFTWARE ENGINEERING YOU FUCKING FAGGOT IF YOU WANT TO LEARN TO HOW TO FUCK WOMEN.
>>
>>24520158
>implying even a year+ of CS can be undone
It's already too late for us.
>>
File: 1412798347673.jpg (13 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1412798347673.jpg
13 KB, 184x184
>>24520181
Fuck off cancer boy
>>
>>24520194
What did I do. Help me help me so I can help you.
>>
File: 1425324651923.png (148 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1425324651923.png
148 KB, 300x300
>>24520216
Go eat a pile of shit.
>>
>>24519940
>>24520071

So what will you actually do once you graduate if not programming?
>>
File: 2HAT.png (69 KB, 186x283) Image search: [Google]
2HAT.png
69 KB, 186x283
>>24520257
Please don't be like this.
>>
>>24520137

It might be, maybe its technical majors in general. I never was extremely active, but I managed well to make myself seem like a normal human being. After several semesters I feel myself becomming more and more unable to empathize with people and losing my creative drives. Its pretty fun though and I love machines, so I guess I can handle it for some time. Also I think that there are bound to be other people like you there, its hard, but maybe you should try to reach out a little. I have only one actuall friend at the university and he is pretty much as fucked as I am, so pull each other along a little.
>>
File: 1441651529319.png (593 KB, 966x720) Image search: [Google]
1441651529319.png
593 KB, 966x720
>>24520266
Will you please die of cancer?
>>
File: ID=BtxJBF8J0_03.jpg (27 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
ID=BtxJBF8J0_03.jpg
27 KB, 800x600
>>24520312
Why are you being so mean.
>>
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 201x251) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5 KB, 201x251
Computer Science is a broad field.

To give you an idea, here are a few, but by no means a complete list.

Applications:
Operating Systems
Computer Architectures/Networking
Artificial Intelligence
Human-Computer Interfaces
Software Engineering
Databases applications
Security
etc.

Theory:
Computational Complexity theory
Category theory
Algorithms
Database theory
Quantum Computing
etc.

To make a career out of CS, it'd probably be best to do something in 'applications', as the theory route tends to require a PhD and will be mostly low paid unless you find industry job or get a secure job at a university.

To do theory successfully you need pretty much the understanding of an undergraduate mathematics degree (bare minimum). being comfortable with mathematics in statistics, probability, linear algebra, calculus, logic, topology, algebra, real analysis, set theory wouldn't be a bad start.

CS attracts all kinds of people. Betas, nerds, chads/brogrammers, and whatever. The typical stereotype of a true CS person is that of a mega-nerd.
>>
>>24520174

Basic machine programming, yes, object oriented programming which is every grunt programmers job, no. It would not be difficult to learn that coming from CS, but its not ones job. And yes, CS is very far away from EE, but it is still limited to the technical possibillities of electronics.
>>
>>24520356
Dude OOP was one of the first things we learned in CS.
>>
File: wewlad.jpg (413 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
wewlad.jpg
413 KB, 2448x2448
>>24519858
fuckin dyke ayy lmao
>>
>>24520398
>>24520388

Well, I am not a CS major myself, so far from what I have heard and seen from the people in CS, they actually were learning more about computer architecture, interfaces, networks etc. Programming was part of the curiculum as it seemed, although I do admitt that they have a pretty difficult procedural programming course.
Maybe it is just me being misinformed to some degree. I do think that CS people are well versed in programming, its just that it is not necessarily the focal point of their studies from my point of view.
>>
>>24519565
The reason why it has so many Chads and Stacys is because it's THE degree to get now
Before you had to be a lawyer or a doctor, now a fucking guy who codes

Fuck normies for stealing YET ANOTHER one of my passions. Fucking mega jews, doing shit for nothing but money
>>
>>24520551
I'm in my third CS semester. We're studying architecture right now, but prior to that it'd all been programming, object-oriented or otherwise.
>>
>>24520551
Junior in cs reporting.

My intros were done in c and taught us about OOP and we programmed in it for a bit. But most of my sophomore and junior courses have been spent going deeper; what makes up those functions you call? Whats actually going on inside those bst's? How does an array actually work at the assembly level? That kind of stuff.

The problem is that stuff is hard and weird. Javascript os sexy and cool and pays well. So fuck the weird shit; get a nice enterprise gig at Chase making 80k repairing indian js code.
>>
>>24520646
>>24520677

Well, forgive my ignorance.
My school is nothing special, just a general technical university with a CS major which barely anyone even knows about. Obviously I am not as far as you guys and just had my obligatory technical basics courses and a programming course in C. Certainly it is not the focus of my school though, it does not even have possibillities to make your masters in that field and no institute making any research in that direction.
My programming teacher was from an actuall CS oriented school though and this dude was even fucking weird for me and bashed all my assignment relentlessly.
>>
>>24520704

Yes that is what I had in mind. I figured that it was more about understanding how shit actually works, what your hardware actually does. Certainly is hard and sometimes even too abstract for math majors once it really gets into theory.
But I did not think that being in CS was about being a coding monkey, considering there are certainly easier ways to get you going on this one.
>>
What are some options go a CS major with a focus in graphics?
>>
>>24520020
>Chemical is easier than mechanical and civil
kek, we literally go through the same sequence as chem majors, along with way more physics classes and math than both of those combined

What shitty school do you go to? Here, the Chem and EEs are the hardest ones. How far in math do you guys go?
>>
File: 1443937849452.png (454 KB, 697x360) Image search: [Google]
1443937849452.png
454 KB, 697x360
>studying CS
>realise I don't really like programming or codemonkey bullshit
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.