[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm sick of it all, and am hitting the road. Any tips
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 15
File: Mad-Max-Fury-Road.jpg (33 KB, 570x300) Image search: [Google]
Mad-Max-Fury-Road.jpg
33 KB, 570x300
I'm sick of it all, and am hitting the road.

Any tips or suggestions on how to survive out there?
>>
>>24511468
always carry a whistle
>>
>>24511468
You got yourself a good enough vehicle?
>>
>>24511558
2008 Camry, but if you mean something to live in--no.
>>
>>24511494
Am I expecting rape?
>>
Swiss Army Knife.

It comes in handy a lot.
>>
Go to florida or california, whichever is closer. You need decent weather year-round for sleeping in your car. 24 hour walmart parking lots are the easiest to sleep at. Or you can park on a residential sleep and just pass out there. If the cops hassle you you tell them you're on a trip and couldn't keep your eyes open so you pulled over to be safe.

keep a few gallons of drinking water in your trunk, some easy to eat high calorie foods and some basic tools. Carrying a knife is advisable as someone already said, very handy.

I doubt you're going to do it though.
>>
File: succubus.jpg (1008 KB, 2550x1650) Image search: [Google]
succubus.jpg
1008 KB, 2550x1650
>>24512986
>residential sleep
what?

At this point I'm out of options.
I have a pretty nice car, so I'm thinking of selling it, or trading it straight-up for a C-class camper.
>>
>>24513131
I'm sure he needn't to say street instead of sleep, but in my personal opinion a wall mart parking lot is better because you won't get hassled. I used to be in a similar situation
>>
>>24513391
How did that turn out?
>>
>>24513666
I didn't travel, I ran away from home and was pretty much homeless for a while, I slept in my car while going to work and school in alternating days
>>
>>24512986
All of this.

Also, do get regular haircuts and ALWAYS try to be as clean-shaven as possible. If you look like a homeless bum you will get treated like absolute shit by everyone, especially cops. On the contrary, by being clean shaven and neat haircut, you could look like an adventurous spirit and get treated nicely.
>>
>>24511659
Have fun dude. What's your story?
I'll just say set some kind of budget or you're completely fucked.
You can spend hundreds of dollars a day without realizing it if you don't between food, vices and bullshit. (Not including gas ofc)
Again, what's your story?
>>
>>24513750
>24
>jobless
>be in Tennessee
>about to be homeless
>job prospects in California
>savvy road buddy going down to New Orleans
I have a nice car, and I'm considering selling it for an RV of some sort and a bit more living money.

I'm torn between going to California where I MAY have a job, or move to New Orleans where I know people that I can stay with.
Conversely, my buddy can't go back to California because he has a warrant for his arrest.
>>
>>24513706
I'll green text some tips and personal experiences because why the fuck not
>always keep a couple of bottles of water in you car, I recommend those big gallon ones and you can refill them free at a park or whatever
>buy a membership to 24hr fitness gym, you can take showers there and get /fit/
>my diet consisted mainly off of rice and bread
>if you go to some stores before they close they might give you free shit
>I went to this Popeyes once a week and they would hook me up with free chicken at closing time
>I lived in Santa Monica, some guy hands me a business card to a cosmetology school saying they do free haircuts to teach students or whatever so I got free haircuts
>if to you plan on traveling, gas will get expensive, try to look on local Craigslist to look for things you can do to trade for money or a tank of gas
If interested I could post more, sorry for any grammatical errors, I'm on my phone
>>
>>24513852
The 24 hour gym idea is smart.
>>
>>24513836
The jobs you'll probably find in Cali are just your average wage kek jobs you'll find elsewhere, but minimum in LA is 10/hr and will grow to 15 within a few years
>>
File: BisonBurger.jpg (206 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
BisonBurger.jpg
206 KB, 1024x768
>>24513921
Well, I have a connection with a talent agent, so I'm hoping I can get hooked up with an entertainment job.
>>
>>24513913
A mother helpful thing I found out is that most public parks have outlets so you can charge your phone or laptop for free
>>
File: feta-sundried tomatoes-spinach.jpg (83 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
feta-sundried tomatoes-spinach.jpg
83 KB, 500x333
>>24514003
any and all advice is helpful, thanks
>>
>>24514001
Well driving from Tennessee to Cali is a lot longer than to Louisiana, it's not as easy as it sounds, you need at least 4 days worth up supplies to get you there and enough money for gas and you need to be 100% sure your contact is legit
>>
>>24513852
How the fuck did you make rice on the road familymember?
>>
>>24511468
>water
>food
>shelter
Other than that bring a gun. Never know whn you might need to pew pew somebody or something. I suggest a VP9 personally, but there are other options that could be more useful. Consider moving to the Philippines where you can live like a king on the meager $300 you have in your bank account right now.
>>
>>24511468
>Any tips or suggestions on how to survive out there?

Don't run out of money. You need that shit to buy shit. Like food. Or gas.
>>
>>24514110
I wasn't on the road, I was homeless, a local grocery store had public microwaves you could use to heat up your food, I'd usually buy rice or those cheap cup of noodles, but I suppose you could buy a small electric camping stove and use your car battery to heat the water
>>
>>24514159
I have a .38

I'd have to fly there first, which would be significant.
>>
>>24513836
where in Tennessee? memphis here
>>
>>24514278
Nashville, but I have to swing by Memphis to pick up my friend.
>>
>>24514318
pick me up too, dude! I want in!
>>
File: brie grilled cheese.jpg (133 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
brie grilled cheese.jpg
133 KB, 1600x1200
>>24514338
Are you into sex with men? Do you have a drug habit? How old are you? What is your sex? Will you pitch in for gas?
>>
>>24514369
No
No
MALE.
Yes. Somewhat. Until my money runs out.
>>
>>24514381
What part of Memphis do you reside?
>>
>>24514467
Germantown - ish
>>
>>24511468
>filename
Triggered
>>
I have been heavily considering dropping out of college and traveling across the country living in a van, but the major thing that stops me (aside from it being a massive change in lifestyle) is that idk how I would make money. I have a bit of a war chest saved up from inheritance that I could use to buy a decent van and a year or two's worth of supplies, but I have no idea how I would keep this sustainable for the years after that. I mean even if I did do it I don't think I would want to do it for the rest of my life, but I would like to be able to sustain that lifestyle for as long as I want to (or can). The only semi-viable option I can think of is busking, since I'm a decent guitarist and I plan on practicing a lot, but I'd like something a bit more sustainable than that.
>>
>>24512986
This. Also, there are places to go if you're in the know. I know a dude who owns a plot of land andlets homeless people set up tents there.

It's 1000x better than a homeless shelter, especially if you have a car to go to. You should always know the area you are in and scout charities/ good people.

Don't get scammed, you'll fucking turn into wagekek 4.0 turbo if you allow yourself to get into a situation where someone's making you work 80 hours a week just to sleep in his friend's house.

Pick up a skill in all your free time. You WILL want to be able to make money on the spot.

>>24513713
This too. You will navigate way better by taking showers and shaving.

Get a gym membership is a must. No easier way to stay in shape and shower. Also, get all the freebies you can and keep your teeth clean! Once your teeth are wrecked, it really puts you on hardmode because you want to be able to present yourself and breath/BO are an instant killer of presentation.
>>
>>24514495
Your sweet 18 year old ass is about to get fucked, my friend
>>
>>24514495
Used to live around there. Where'd you go to high school?

We may pick you up, if you're not a drag, and will pay for some of the gas like you said.
>>
>>24514536
You have to jump in and swim.
>>
>>24513852
How do you get stuck in your car that long? Couldn't you just bunk with someone for a few hundred
>>
>running away from your problems

Kek, good luck. I hope you find the beace and freedom you're looking for, faggot.
>>
File: 1390076650213.gif (626 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
1390076650213.gif
626 KB, 300x450
>>24514660
If I were running away from my problems, I'd hop a space ship outta this disco diner.
>>
>>24514197
think about getting something a bit better for hunting. In all actuality a shotgun is incredibly multipurpose and probably your best bet for everything you need to do. Other than that a good knife, a bit of rope, paracord, and snare wire should help you out if you are ever hurting for food. Living in the woods personally sounds much more fun than living on the road, but I'm probably just a faggot. Good luck man, be safe and all that good stuff. Try to get some acid and make it an acid road adventure, or try to hunt down some peyote wherever your road takes you because you were inquiring about drugs before I assume you use...
>>
File: 1393211168460.jpg (431 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1393211168460.jpg
431 KB, 1200x1200
>>24514689
I have a .30-06 and a 12 gauge, the .38 is for personal protection.

I'll probably try to live off beans and rice for as long as humanly possible, though.

I'd love to run into a little LSD, or any kind of psyche, really.
>>
>>24514660
You sound miserable
>>
>>24514660
What if imot running? I live in a small town and I can't take small town and suburban living its so ducking boring holy shit. Its the main source of my depression I want tovbe out in the gritty streets with money drugs gangs crowds promiscuous women lights and fast cars. You make money based on your reputation and hang out in clubs and live in the fast lane.No one gives a fucj about anything but fun and money holy shit it gets me so riveted.
>>
>>24514536
Buy the van and do a couple weeks test run and get used to the life easily without the stress of survival
>>
>>24514552
Went to g-town

got email or skype?
>>
>>24514999
friend graduated from there

I have Skype, what's your name?
>>
>>24515084
can I bring my AK?
>>
>>24515132
As long as it's registered to you, as I'm bringing my guns too.
>>
>>24515161
when do we leave?
>>
>>24515286
What's your name on Skype, I'll fill you in.
>>
>>24515317
thick_sausage
>>
>>24514001
you wont
thats literally what EVERYBODY HERE HAS
>>
>>24515336
sent you a message

>>24515372
yeah, well I'm more interesting to look at
>>
>>24513836
>California
>New Orleans

You're fucked
>>
>>24515432
then why the fuck are you on R9K
>>
>>24515432
didn't get shit here

wrong thick_sausage?
>>
Kill or be killed
>>
File: Pumpkin-Pancakes.jpg (294 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
Pumpkin-Pancakes.jpg
294 KB, 1600x1067
>>24515467
because I'm emotionally robotic, of course though, I fell in love with the culture here.

>>24515504
look me up: thedeafcannothearyou
>>
>>24511468
Join a cheap 24hr chain gym, a place to have a warm shower is every moderately sized townc
>>
File: toecutter-mad-max.jpg (19 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
toecutter-mad-max.jpg
19 KB, 460x345
>>24511468
>When you look up to the sky
>Remember the night rider!
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.