[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/WorthlessMajor/ thread, what you guys doin. I'm a neet.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 10
File: College-Degree.jpg (24 KB, 570x427) Image search: [Google]
College-Degree.jpg
24 KB, 570x427
/WorthlessMajor/ thread, what you guys doin. I'm a neet.
>>
>>24508868
Adjunct professor for my /worthlessdegree/
>>
Graduating with a bachelors in biology this December.
>no connections
>no clinical experience
>no research experience
>gpa too low for grad school

I think about suicide daily.
>>
>tfw studying incredibly diligently for a philosophy degree but it probably won't even be worth it once I finish the PhD and I'll just be an overeducated robot in the end
>>
>>24508868
Dropping out of mechanical engineering after this semester and going into music.

How fukt am I?
>>
who /businessadmin/ here

got a job doing data entry but when that contract is over probably gonna be a neet
>>
Physics.
>>
>>24508984
I changed from Biology 3 years into my degree because it hit me that I would be royally fucked after I graduate unless I get into medicine or dentistry or god forbid.. Podiatry.

If you are in USA I would suggest med,dent, optom, pharm or podiatry.

If you have the grades.

My grades were barely a 3.0 so I changed completely because I had no chance.

If you are SUPER fucked and have no other choice then go overseas and study med or dentistry in Australia then just stay there after graduation.
I am now in my 3rd year of Construction Management.
>>
>>24509021
VERY VERY fucked. Music is one of the most useless degrees out there.

Please for your sake do not do it.

For every single job you are the bottom of the pile.

Even for a fucking music position you are at the bottom because a talented play without a degree out ranks you.

You skills prepare you for no job at all.
>>
Criminal Justice.
I don't even know what I'm doing anymore, I just wanna be a writer...I've always wanted to be a writer. More and more I'm beginning to think I'm wasting my time (and youth) in college.
>>
>>24509206
Criminal Justice could be transferable to something.

You could write for anything to do with crime or be some kind of journalist I suppose using investigative skills from your degree
>>
I NEED HELP: this past month I've been having a mental toss up between my only 2 viable career paths. (Dropout med student btw)

I can either do Web design/programming which I am naturally good at and it would maybe take a year to get up to speed with the new technologies OR I can spend 4 years doing psychology which would be more rewarding...

what do robots believe in? I'm leaning one way but I won't say just yet.
>>
>>24509021
music is a shit worthless degree. i played in a band with an very talented bassist who graduated from a conservatory. he works at fedex delivering packages.

it's an overpriced worthless degree.
>>
>>24509206
Not a useless degree. You can go into lots of different fields with that. Have you considered any grad work? Not necessarily law school.
>>
>>24509144

I don't have the grades, that's my point. My original plan was medschool but my portfolio is abysmal so there's no point in that now. And I don't have the money to try for a post bacc program. Grad school for some form of research was my backup and now I can't even do that.

I wouldn't even know where to begin looking overseas. I can barely afford rent here in the U.S.
>>
>>24509239
Yeah...but my GPA is pretty shitty, m8...
Not the work itself, just the essays tend to fuck my shit up. My professor in my Psychology class found out that I plagiarized an entire essay and I legit don't even care anymore.
>>
>>24509250
>psychology
>viable career path

sure
>>
>>24509250
What do you want to do in regards to psychology? If you are not open to grad school I would say just go for programming. The psychology meme is very real.
>>
>>24509250

You're gonna need a masters at the very least to have any form of competitiveness for a job in psych related fields. Psych is filled with 4 year grads so employers have room to be selective. Not trying to discourage you, but it's something you need to keep in mind.
>>
>>24508868
EECS degree, put on academic warning for dropping too many classes.... :\
>>
>>24509250
How is this even a choice? Choose between making a living wage and being considered human garbage by a soulless company.
>>
>>24509250
>OR I can spend 4 years doing psychology

I was in a position similar.

>>24509144
I am that anon

I pretty much had planned to go into medicine and pretty much finished my degree before I started again.

I have had to spend another 4 years nearly studying.

How old are you? Because if you want it or not, you will hit a moment where your age will catch up to you and you will realise you need to sort your shit out and start a career or you will be left behind.

How old are you?
If you are 22ish Then I'd so go psychology, You have time.

Are you older?
Don't waste the last bit of your youth and time on it. It won't pay off.

I am 25 nearly 26 with about a year left of my degree and I thank fucking god I found a job while finishing it.

I am the oldest in my position and if I was any older I'd be fucked.
>>
>>24509250
Unless you go to grad school for psychology that degree is basically useless.
>>
>>24509286
>I wouldn't even know where to begin looking overseas. I can barely afford rent here in the U.S.

You can waltz into Australian schools and then remain there working when you graduate

>Scource
I am Australia + American citizen and I tried to exploit a loop hole trying to enter as an American due to it being MUCH easier to get in.

You can stay and work afterwards and make shitloads so the price of the loan won't matter.
>>
I am about to graduate from Psychology. Thing is, I'm quite dumb and socially very awkward.
At least, if I went for clinic, I'd understand other robots pretty well.
>>
Business Administration
Not worthless career wise, but worthless in the fact that it's just a formality and nothing I learn is ever applied in my real job
>>
>>24509427
Wrote a book on autism.

This website is a fucking goldmind for you psychology students.
>>
>>24508984
What do you want to do? Couldn't you re-enrol in units you didn't do so well in to up your GPA to go to grad school? Would cost more but if grad school is what you want it's a decent plan.
>>
How worthless is creative writing?
>>
>>24509527
So useless there is no jobs existing for a creative writing degree
>>
>>24509311
After browsing here I have come to believe it is a meme but I'm unsure. I am leaning towards programming as I have worked professionally without a degree and I'm only 21.

I would be wanting to do substance misuse counseling
or maybe mental health nursing at the hospital I work at now.

>>24509347
this is my problem I'm a lazy ass nigga so I think I just need talking out of doing psychology

>>24509368
I am 21 so I have time but I feel that the payoff isn't worth it mang, and people seem to have a disposition for hating psychologists even though I'm not an asshole about it.
>>24509367
can you explain which one you think is human garbage? even basic UI developers earn 30k (gbp)
>>
File: patrick.png (128 KB, 308x308) Image search: [Google]
patrick.png
128 KB, 308x308
>doing aerospace engineering
>going to get a job in a subject that's cool as fuck
>technically a "rocket scientist"
feels good man
>>
>>24509449
I was going to write my final paper about wizards (as in, wizardchan). Talked to a teacher about it. Now I'm not so sure anymore, I'd maybe cringe when presenting the paper to the examinators.
>>
>>24508868
i wanted to get a degree in biology but then i saw the posts in this thread and i definitely don't want to go into med school.

Is biochem a good major? I'm interested in it I just want to know if I'll be able to get a job in the field with moderate efford
>>
>>24509655
i thought i wanted to be this but then i realized engineers just sit on a computer most of the day designing a tiny ass part of something. most of the time you probably wont know what you're building because your whole department is working on an aircraft wing and you got assigned to design the screws
>>
>>24509595
You are 21 which is plenty of time for one more shot at a new degree/career path.

Think carefully because now will be your final shot before you will be at a big disadvantage for entry positions due to your age.

If you went the psychologist path then you would require a masters in order to make any real money.

A psychology degree alone is very useless. Nearly all sciences and soft sciences(psycology) are stepping stone degrees to something further
>>
>>24509486
I have a 2.86 GPA so that means I need to take at least 20 credits and get As in all of them just to bring it up to 3.0. Anything less than an A in every single one won't do it. It's something I've been considering but 20 credits is like 6 classes and I don't have the money right now for that.

>>24509404
Huh that's interesting. Why is it easier for Americans to get in? I think I'm gonna look into this a little more.
>>
>>24509558
Not true. Copywriter, marketing, advertising. There's plenty of shit it can be applicable to but unless you actually have talent or are good at selling yourself you might as well wipe your ass with the degree. I expect it's not something people would undertake expecting a job upon graduation though.
>>
>>24509656
It's not bad. Can talk about how being anonymous allows the true autism to come out or some shit.
>>
Nuclear Engineering

Oh wait

Sucks to suck NEETs
>>
>>24508868
I'm doing IT.

It's way too easy desu, I spend every waking moment of my life stoned yet I still manage a 3.5. Business is a joke, but I'm not good enough for engineering/medicine.
>>
>>24509732
that's why I plan on getting a Master's, so I don't do menial work.
>>
>>24509732
this. is. it.

original comment coming right up
>>
>>24509748
>>24509486

Shit deleted part of my post. I originally wanted to work in a clinical setting, literally anything. I was debating going into nursing but im still not sure. was also looking at going to school to work as an EMT for a while.
>>
>>24509748
.Huh that's interesting. Why is it easier for Americans to get in? I think I'm gonna look into this a little more.

because it costs you $200k due to being full fee students and aussies pay 50-60k for their whole degree.

So about 50% of all places in medical degrees are open to overseas students.

A couple schools don't allow overseas students besides those which they are partnered with but there is ALLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOT that do.

Your entry requirements to these schools are the same as Caribbean schools.

They just want your 200k
>>
>>24509021
Very fucked. I just finished a music degree, and out of all my classmates I'm the only one who is making enough money to live from it. Even then, it isn't very much, and it's only possible because I play a higher demand instrument (bass.)

TLDR, don't do it if you aren't ok with living in a cardboard box, and don't go into debt for it.
>>
>>24509763
It's a degree which is useless because the positions you are applying for do not require the degree for entry.

Such as music.
>>
>>24509448
Anything in business is not directly applied to a real job since they teach you what you have to do anyway
>>
English here. I think I will end up with a 3.5 GPA if I keep up my pace, my Freshman year fucked me up.

If I don't go into law school, I seriously don't know what I'll do. I abhor thinking about being a teacher.
>>
>>24509782
IT guys I know are able to make a living
>>
>>24509782
do you go to technical college for this? the tech school in my city has this. took a tour and everyone in the IT class seemed chill as fuck (neckbeards mostly and 1 gril with dyed hair im assuming the others orbit) and they said they pick parts online and build a computer and other cool shit like that
>>
>>24509929
What the fuck is the point in getting a degree in English?

YOU ALREADY SPEAK ENGLISH YOU DUMB CUNT
>>
>>24509660
someone please reply
>>
anyone else /mortuary science/?
just started my major classes this year and I'm loving the shit out of it but the industry is fucked and difficult to break into but here I am anyway
>>
>>24509936
Yeah, from what I've gathered it's the easiest major with the most payoff. Tbh I like working with computers and programming is pretty fun so I don't mind it at all.

I just wanna have enough money to maybe fuck around with drugs and hookers for a bit, and then get enough drugs to kill myself after a year or two.
>>
>>24509948
No I'm majoring in Information Systems at a 4 year university. Probably could have taken the technical college route, but I was already in school for CS before so I made the switch after a year in. Plus I do get business experience for admin/management possibilities. There surprisingly not teaching me much in the way of programming so I picked that up on the side.
>>
>>24509958
Depends on who you ask; I think English is simply a more pragmatic Philosophy degree.
>>
>>24509852
>50-60k for their whole degree.

What the fuck. American med schools cost like 150k for American citizens. That is cheap as fuck.

Still 200k is a lot of money but it's something I'm willing to look into. Thanks anon.
>>
>>24510045
I was thinking about doing Information Systems, too, though the college im most interested in (im currently a freshman at community college) only has MANAGEMENT information systems, which is basically business with a cs filter.

How is it so far? Would you recommend to a skill-less loser like me?
>>
I have a Ph.D. in English literature
>>
dropped out of animation, advertising rn
y/n?
>>
Political Science major here, how fucked am I?
>>
>>24510525
Like I've said before. I fuck around and play vidya and do drugs all day long; yet I've still managed to to have straight A's the past 3 semesters.

I guess it depends on the school, business is just a joke at my school atleast. I can't even fathom how people manage to pull all nighters in the business school.
>>
>>24508868
/worthwhilemajor/ here. Advanced programming degree with a 98k/yr salary.

Suck my balls neetfuck
>>
>>24509660

Biochem is a little better than bio. You can get your foot in either the chem or bio fields, but you'll still probably need some grad school. Biochem is a good major for a lot of grad programs.

What do you want to do?
>>
>>24510807
Thanks, anon, I'll look more into it. What state are you in?
>>
>>24508868
I was too retarded for STEM so I'm in English.

If I can't get a job in editing or copywriting then I'll just kill myself after at least having enjoyed my curriculum. I wasn't going to do much with my life anyways.
>>
>Music education major

I'm gonna work at Starbucks for the rest of my life, aren't I?
>>
>>24511189
I know a few music education majors. You really gotta put yourself out there.
This one kid I worked with at a summer camp applied to nearly every school in the district.
>>
>>24510068
>abhor
>pragmatic

Damn, you're really trying to squeeze every penny out of that useless degree, aren't you?
>>
>>24509877
I never realized how hard it was to find a decent bassist until i tried finding one for my brothers band. When i could find one they were already involved with 3-4 other projects. Im considering learn bass myself.
>>
Anybody can major in a "useless degree" if they have a plan or idea of what they're going to do with it.

If you major in something like English with no real goals, then yeah, you will be fucked. But if you really want to get into publishing or something, or if you actually write creatively and often, or if you want to eventually become an authority on a literary topic, then there's no reason why you shouldn't major in English.

You simply have to work harder to succeed with "useless degrees."
>>
>>24511343
stupid idiot music pleb here
whats the difference between playing bass and guitar?
>>
>>24511143
if you enjoyed the curriculum then why not try for grad school? Might as well if you can save up for it.
>>
>>24511337
if you think pragmatic is a showy word, you're retarded, man.
>>
File: a wonderful slide.jpg (825 KB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
a wonderful slide.jpg
825 KB, 4160x3120
>tfw B.S.
>friend got a B.A. in the same major and I constantly give him shit for it
:-)
>>
>>24509206
Write a book about Elliot Rodger
>>
>>24508868
pure mathematics :(
>>
>>24510839
Can you not read the fucking thread said worthless only? Fucking retard
>>
biochem degree
fuck
>>
>>24509782
seeing more and more fellow IT majors around here, feels good man
>>
http://news.yahoo.com/7-reasons-why-really-stem-181914751.html

All of you fucks should read this
>>
>>24512155
Untapped major for lazy fucks like us.

>>24511002
Colorado
>>
>>24509655
>has pictures of a Spongebob character saved on your computer that you post on 4chan
>>
>about to finish my 2 year degree in History
>going to go to a 4 year for Econ
Are either of these majors /useless/?
>>
International Business

What are mah prospects?
>>
File: 1448411139954.jpg (194 KB, 745x900) Image search: [Google]
1448411139954.jpg
194 KB, 745x900
>Currently getting a Masters in Public Administration

I dont know what the fuck
>>
>>24513316
2 year degree as in an AA? yeah that's useless

History is generally useless for a job unless you're going to grad school or working in research. Econ is ok if you go to a good tier school and interning
>>
>>24513348
>public admin
I wanted to major in that when I was younger and when I thought government was good.
I hope you know I'm voting against your self-interest!
>>
>>24513374
Man I don't know what I'll do with iot, maybe work in PR or Human Resources
>>
>individualized major
>>with a concentration in recorded music

Decided to focus on music technology when I came to college, and I'm in an individual study program. How fucked am I?
>>
File: image.jpg (213 KB, 1600x1464) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
213 KB, 1600x1464
>>24513456
>INDIVIDUALIZED MAJOR
>>
English major. I'm not going to be a fucking teacher
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 500x281
Hey guys, I heard that getting a law degree , is almost useless since the market is super saturated but i'm already going there. I was wondering if I should specialized in something beforehand but I don't know if i have enough time since I'm 23. Any advice that could help. Also I'm in canada so any canadabros advice would be appreciated
>>
>>24509072
Must be a shit tier school any decent school will pretty much guarantee you pull 35k a year starting and good schools its more like 55-70
>>
Who /Construction Management/ here?

>tfw I'm guaranteed a job after I graduate

Feels good lads.
>>
Fire Protection Technology

I just took my parents money and live off it. Fuck being firefighter
>>
Sophomore and I really enjoy my political science classes but I know it's a shit major what should I do friends?
>>
>>24512187
>open link
>typo in the first paragraph
>>
Hyper talented guitarist/songwriter masquerading as an English major at one of those generic top 20 public universities, just to add to the stupidity of my situation

Should've gone/transferred to and have dropped out of Berklee college of music by now, I'm in my final year.

I want to be terrorized by my situation as much as anyone that knows of it or hears about it wants me to be (probably the reason why anybody browses /r9k/), but I have been completely consumed over the past two years by creative passions, so it's difficult

Currently looking for a second job just in case my current course of action is actually delusional, maybe higher doses of reality will sort me out?
>tfw already living on 2 meals a day with a constantly empty bank account, praying away overdraft and maintenance fees

Safe to say that if I hadn't seen myself come as far as I have against all the goddamn odds, would've offed myself a long time ago. Useless degree or not, faith is all we've got forreal forreal
>>
politics/literature double major

janitor at a supermarket now
>>
sociology
suck mah dick
>>
>>24508868
Majoring in medicine.
>>
File: image.jpg (631 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
631 KB, 2048x1536
>>24508868
Major in law. Concentration in policy and government. Had a job for 14 months, running an office for a member of parliament. Lost the election though. Since October, been rejected to several positions I'm more than qualified for. Now zone out on amphetamines and lurk here. Feels bad man
>>
>>24508868
who /no diploma at all/ here? dropped out of HS when I was 17.
>>
>>24514415

Do you mean pre-law? Or law? Because if you have a law degree and aren't in the bottom 30% of your class (at a respectable school) you should have little problem finding some job. "Pre" law is a joke program though.
>>
Applied for a 4 year course in ethical hacking and cyber security... Am I fucked guys?
>>
File: image.jpg (368 KB, 751x997) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
368 KB, 751x997
>>24514714
Bachelor of Arts. Major in law
>>
B Sc Hons (Biology/Ecology).

Did not volunteer/network enough. I tutor biology, should I go into teaching?
>>
>>24514767
that pic will never make me not kek
>>
File: Guitar_of_Waves.png (134 KB, 384x512) Image search: [Google]
Guitar_of_Waves.png
134 KB, 384x512
>>24511387
bass are typically harder to play. Not only do you have to make sure it's clean, you gotta fish it yourself AND it's gotta be a four string.
>>
>>24514342
Just get addicted to drugs now you'll fit in better.
>>
>>24513861

A lot of the talk about market saturation is coming from the U.S. If you go to a decent school in Canada (eg. not Lakehead/Windsor/Ottawa) and work hard you will be fine.

If you're already going to law school just focus on developing strong reading/writing skills. If you plan on doing anything corporate a background in finance/accounting/business is helpful too.
>>
>>24514767

So pre-law. Didn't mean to be harsh about pre-law. As long as you work hard and have good reading/analysis skills (eg. 160+ LSAT) you will be fine.
>>
>>24508868
shitposting on /r9k/

fuck you robot everyone needs to know how I'm a shitposting genius
>>
>>24509276
Also you can learn about Crab Canons on your own. All the shit is out there and there's sheet writting software out there and you don't even have to play your instrument because people can't hear the fucking difference. Just write like what the instrument sounds like in your head, for example if shit tear digital instrument lacks dynamics think like a harpsichord.
>>
>>24508868
Philosophy here. Doing masters at the moment. I thought about completing PhD in the UK or US so that I can really be a philosopher. It's looking less and less viable, however, seeming as US universities are so expensive and hard to obtain scholarships for and because the UK suddenly doesn't give a fuck about her colonies.

If all else fails, I can learn nip, then write shitty bottom shelf LNs in the vein hope of it becoming anime.

Death is also reasonable option.
>>
>>24511387
Guitar is a more primary instrument that can do pretty much anything, whereas the bass is just there to support the music, making it sound thicker and more powerful.
Bass players are basically keks who have to watch the guitarists get all the women
>>
Graduated in 2011 with a degree in businesss administration, concentration in Finance

Worked in the field a bit, said fuck it and took a few science class prereqs

Now I'm in physical therapy school, set to graduate in 2017.

I couldn't be happier and I am very lucky that my parents support me for these extra years of school. Id rather take the debt than be miserable for the rest of my career.
>>
>Electrical Engineering here
my friend hooked me up with a job at a grocery store :^)
maybe some day I'll get a real job
>>
I'm working on a masters in jazz bass. I'm specializing in the bass ukulele because it will give me more job opportunities once I graduate.
>>
>>24514831
>bass is harder than 6 string guitar

nope, i play a fucking tenor ukulele and i was able rock out on a bass the first time i picked one up. Its got 4 strings and you finger pick it, its easy as fuck.
>>
History.
Last week I received news that my TAG for UC Davis was approved.
Now at least I know that I won't be 100% undesirable in the job market. Now I'm 90%, it's at least better than going to a Cal State as a non STEM major.
>>
BA in social and cultural anthropology

now working on MA in that and in political science

have no idea what I could do with this even if I get my MA in both, since I have literally zero social connections and never worked a day in my life before and I have not once seen an ad 'looking for social sciences major'
>>
>>24513348
>MPA

Definitely not a useless degree. After you graduate you can basically do anything involving business, healthcare or government, which are enormous fields.
Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.