[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i finally understand hipsters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9
File: hips.jpg (39 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
hips.jpg
39 KB, 400x267
i finally understand them (except their shitty clothes), why they act so condecending, so snobby, and treat people who listen to mainstream music/watch mainstream movies like shit. ok, imagine this, theres a fat guy and he wants to lose weight, but hes to lazy to work for it and go to a gym, instead he buys "magic pills" that are served to him on a silver platter, and expects nothing more than the 1/2 pound he loses that day.
same with music. imagine someone who really likes music, but only listens to shit on the radio, itunes, etc. (mainstream shit). that guy wants to listen to good music, be he doesnt want to work for it, so he's just content with that usually shit teir music (thats why top 40 is always shit, its better than most of the shit thats on the radio, but its still shit albeit slightly worse shit) they dont work for it, so they dont get "good music". now imagine another guy, who likes music, and isnt content with what he hears on the radio. now imagine hime WORKING for actually good music, going to obscure channels on youtube filled with indie-rock/ indie-pop/ nu-jazz/ all that shit that isnt really mainstream. by clicking 50 links and finding a song he REALLY likes, he worked for that good music, he didnt expect it to show up on a silver platter and say hey look heres this song! then after a while that indie rock/whatever band becomes his favorite with their videos/soundcloud only getting a few listens a day, then 3-4 years later, that band becomes mainstream and starts playing on the radio alot. then all the teenage girls or guys are just yelling "OMG I LOVE *band name* IVE BEEN THEIR FAN SINCE FOREVER!" when the hipster attempts to approach them to talk about their band with someone who seems to really likes them too, they start blurting out about the only 3-4 songs of the band on the radio and didnt know of the 30 more songs the band had written over the years, and that guy gets offended that someone is claiming to be a diehard fan, when theyre not.
>>
>Wall of text

tl;dr
>>
>>24503642

woah there ernest hemingway no one asked for a fucking essay
>>
>>24503757
TL;DR hipsters work to find good music, whereas mainstream people wait for "good music" to be served to them on a silver platter AKA radio. then when the hipsters favorite band theyve been following since obscurity gets 3 radio songs, everone pretends to be their number 1 fan which gets the hipster mad, because theyre obv not
>>
>>24503642
You do realize that 4chan is just a site full of hipsters right? Think about it for a second. Every board hate the mainstream version of what they''re discussing. We hate liberals and they're mainstream, /r9k/ hates normal people, and /mu/ hate mainstream music.
>>
>>24503642
too many words but I read it and agreed with it

I don't spend a lot of my time delving into current music anymore but when I did I would end up in that "heard it before it was cool" situation a lot. That doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it though. I just heard a lot of music that I liked but it took effort to find it and then years later those artists would make songs that end up much more popular.
>>
>>24503642
Fuck
Weird how a minute long comment in a conversation could amount to so much...

I agree with that statement but that's hardly what makes up the mind of this clan of hipsters
>>
>>24503642
Just because you have to work for something doesn't mean it is better. That's a hole in your logic. Although, most songs on the radio do suck.
>>
Hipsters are just middle class people who prefer to buy into the supposedly non-mainstream but still completely popular and capitalist art and culture available.
>>
File: 0575961936.jpg (55 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
0575961936.jpg
55 KB, 500x750
>>24504091
Yeh but theres stuff that is objective about music.

Music is a pattern. You either make a pattern everyone instantly recognizes and likes or you make a pattern thats actually complex and interesting.
>>
>>24504163
I admit I don't know much about music so you may have a point there but I'm still skeptical.
>>
>>24504163
Yeah four chord progression pop music... I think people like it because really there's not much variety in popular radio stations so either people become used to shit the start expecting and liking it, or they don't even know other more kind of obscure bands and genres.
>>
I don't believe hipsters really exist, or at least not as a movement, because nobody identifies positively as one. It's a pejorative term for when you don't like someone for art taste-related reasons.

Why it's used, though, is probably what you're getting to; people get labeled as hipsters when they start putting effort into a particular medium and try to get other people to do the same. I get a fair bit of it on /tv/ when people whine that movies are terrible nowadays; that's just because most people are watching whatever the next hopeful blockbuster is and they don't make any effort to find the actually good movies that are getting made all the time.

This probably all runs back to competitive consumerism, where the only way to make yourself stand out is with good taste since everything is/can be mass produced and admitting that you have less interesting taste is losing the battle, but even if the "hipster" wants to share it's often to the ungrateful and stubborn.

>>24503767

Essays generally have better formatting.
>>
>>24503767

>using Hemingway as an example of someone writing something long

He wrote shortest short story ever.
>>
>>24504295
hemingway is pretentious garbage
>>
>>24503642
I dress like this but I don't have a beard, tattoos or those stupid glasses.

I'm...okay right?
>>
>>24504489
uh, I'm afraid not m8. I'm so sorry.
>>
>>24504602
Is jeans and a flannel shirt that big a deal?

I don't want to be a douche.
>>
>>24504648
well you are on /r9k/ so you probably are a douche anyway.

Do you wear boots? or some kind of stocking cap? Or anything that dangles from your waist? Like a chain or a carabiner?
>>
File: IMG_9505.jpg (142 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9505.jpg
142 KB, 900x600
Daily reminder that:
>hipsters are dead/have transitioned into nu yuppies
>youth culture has entirely moved on since about 2011
>extreme music (hardcore punk, industrial, noise) is the growing trend in the underground
>reactionaries are prevalent, both cultural and political
>fascism, nihilism, and anarchism (not the SJW kind) are replacing PC leftism
>most of the music/art coming out right now is intentionally apolitical/nihilistic
>some bands and artists openly hate PC culture and values
>interest in terrorism, hatred, abuse, alienation and overall human cruelty is now the prevalent aesthetic
>while yes a lot of contemporary underground culture is edgelord, there is a reason for that, as the weak, impotent PC liberal hipsterism of the 2000s is now the mainstream
>>
>>24503767
I think you mean Joseph Conrad bud.
>One page sentences with no periods and it's all one paragraph
Fucking Belgian, do you really expect me to read that shit?
>>
>>24504679
I wear brown boots.
They're comfy.
>>
All the hipster dimensions of my personality only exist as an easy way to feel superior to people desu
>>
>>24504755
you are dangerously close but you might be alright friendo
>>
>>24504755
>>24504679
Same guy.
>Or anything that dangles from your waist?
Nope
>Like a chain or a carabiner?
Nope
>>
>>24504402
he's a hipster author senpai
>>
>>24503767
Hemmingway was punctual. You want Joyce or Tolstoy.
>>
>>24504786
>Guy wrote shit in the 20's through 50's
>Hipster
What?
>>
>>24504825
Tolstoy was never nowhere near as bad as Conrad. I mean Conrad wrote "short" stories but he was so long winded that a sentence would last half a page.
>tfw me and my whole honors class got fed up with his writing to the point we refused to do our reading assignment of Conrad
>reading his stuff was like dragging your balls across a cheese grater
>>
File: 1feR7YK_8xk.jpg (15 KB, 330x320) Image search: [Google]
1feR7YK_8xk.jpg
15 KB, 330x320
>>24503642
>putting some effort into things you like is now troublesome
Holy shit.
>>
File: ¦3lind scat willy.png (2 KB, 33x33) Image search: [Google]
¦3lind scat willy.png
2 KB, 33x33
hey OP, just wanted you to know i read everything you said

... and while i disagree with your conclusion, i think it's important you know i was into your work before anyone else here thought it was cool
>>
>>24503642
Hipsters only use music as fashion accessory.
>>
>>24504715
I remember right before I dropped out of college a year ago seeing some of the people you're describing around campus. Then one night in one of my attempts to socialize I ended up at the weirdest house party/show I've ever been too they had a guy in the basement making the most ear splitting noises I've ever heard whipping a chain at the audience and beating himself with the
mic, there were other weirdos there who looked like they were paramilitary or something, i remember thinking that hipsters are really losing it I guess
>>
>>24504715
Is this that one Scandinavian band that was accused of being a bunch of Nazis? Fuck, they were awesome.
>>
>>24504864
Of the few books I gave up on...

Heart of darkness was just too elongated but at least there was a plot.
Ulysses however, fuck me that was pointless shit.

Both are bad, in slightly different ways.
>>
>>24504715
No Wave revival when?
>>24504831
>Hipsters are new
When will this meme stop? There were hipsters in the 40s. They were the jazz loving fucks.
>>
>>24504980

God damn, it really is coming full circle.
>>
File: New_Brigade_Iceage.jpg (86 KB, 564x564) Image search: [Google]
New_Brigade_Iceage.jpg
86 KB, 564x564
>>24504987
yep Iceage
>>
File: 744861106869.600x600-75.jpg (150 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
744861106869.600x600-75.jpg
150 KB, 600x600
>>24505126
I loved this of theirs album
>>
>>24504980
Noise shows are great, aren't they?
I remember going to one where the noisemaker taped blindfolded people in the audience to the walls o the basement room.
The noise was p good too, it had a very clean lowend, but exciting upper midend textures.
>>
>>24503857
we are truely gammas
>>
>>24505198
truly*
oops
>>
>>24504864
>an entire honors class is unable to deal with elementary literary composition
Academia is dead. I hope you never desecrate Chesterton with your vulgar judgments.
>>
File: photo19.jpg (11 KB, 320x350) Image search: [Google]
photo19.jpg
11 KB, 320x350
>>24505155
Saw them live actually, it was pretty mind blowing to witness a room full of mostly white "hipsters" nodding their heads to song about European mysticism
>mfw
>>
>>24503857
That's because interest boards tend to have above average knowledge of their medium/crafts. The mainstream is almost always shit, it's only natural that the more you know the further you move from it.
>>
I almost agree with you, OP. While I think that hipsters do put more effort into learning about their mediums, what really defines them is how they're in the middle of the mainstream/obscure spectrum. They listen/watch obscure shit but never go as far as to reach the point of total disconnect from the mainstream: they remain aware of its trends and react to it.

The real music or film nerds do not bother normies because their tastes are so far apart that any kind of interaction becomes impossible. The smugness isn't there, nor the normie butthurt.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.