[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't you learn to program? You could program yourself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 28
File: comp.gif (1 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
comp.gif
1 MB, 400x225
Why don't you learn to program?

You could program yourself a gf.

Or get a job that pays more than minimum wage.
>>
>>24493542
Oversaturated trads
>>
File: 1448220779927.jpg (129 KB, 640x491) Image search: [Google]
1448220779927.jpg
129 KB, 640x491
>>24493542
i'm too fucking stupid for that shit
>>
>>24493739
You don't have to be that smart or even be any good at math beyond knowing the basics.

Even women can program these days.
>>
>>24493542
what languages do you know OP
>>
>>24493542
>Or get a job that pays more than minimum wage.
Without internet?
>>
>>24493542
finished sicp yesterday, starting java now
soon
soon!
>>
>programming
>A job that requires you to sit in front of a computer for hours on end
>With 4chan just a click away
It's impossible, I've tried before.
>>
>>24493844
iktf, I'm so easily distracted damn you ADD.
>>
>>24493844
Why won't you trade and we'll see? If what you say is correct it will be my problem when I have no income and not anyone else's.

Why are you such a pussy? Why not let reality speak?
>>
I can program pretty well but I have no clue how to get a decent job without a college degree, especially here in Europe.
>>
>>24493873
That will be my problem, you pussy.
>>
>>24493872
I was talking about myself you schizo
>>
>>24493900
Are you going to admit that you're just too much of pussy to let reality speak?
>>
>>24493831
I've dabbled with a few languages, but I'm strongest with Javascript.

>>24493844
I've had that problem with shitty office admin jobs because the work is so tedious. But I actually enjoy programming and solving logical problems.

>>24493873
Do some projects and put them on Github, Apply to jobs. Ignore the part where it says you need a degree, HR drones don't know a fucking thing, and there are far more programming jobs available than there are CS graduates.
>>
>>24493542
You'll still need to learn data structures, algorithms, discrete math, relational databases, OOP, etc. Programming is just one aspect of the job.
>>
>>24493934
Let me worry about that. What business is it of yours?
>>
>>24493959
You just described stuff that is programming.

Also you don't have to know all of that stuff to get started. I still don't know much about databases.
>>
>>24493934
Cool I also did Javascript, but I'm currently looking for a job though. Hopefully I'll find something by the end of this year
>>
How do I convince my 'friend' that PHP is shit?
What other languages are better for web development?
>>
>>24494067
I've heard that PHP has become less bad in recent years. But regardless its going to stick around for a long time because so much junk is written in it.

Alternatives are Python and Ruby. In fact any language can be a server-side application, you can use Java or C# if you really want. Javascript can also be used for server-side if you use Node.
>>
I know some C#, Javascript and python and some html and css.

But really I haven't used those outside of game engines so I don't know how applicable my skills and knowledge are in another environment or in a real job.
>>
>>24494114
Thanks, I've been working with PHP a lot but I don't enjoy it at all, I am not exactly sure why I dislike it but all the functions seem to be all over the place inconsistent and I feel like everything turns into spaghetti.
I also did some stuff with JavaScript but I hate that even more.

I'll look into Python and Ruby for sure. I also did some C# websites which I enjoy a lot more.

(just to clear it up I am talking about websites exclusively)
>>
>>24494067
Just show 'him' Python, and he should instantly develop a massive hateboner for PHP.
http://blog.codinghorror.com/php-sucks-but-it-doesnt-matter/
>>
>>24493542
I can program, I have a job programming. I suck at programming...

I built the infrastructure for a major education platform, and I still suck at programming. I made an insurance companies internal quote system and I still suck at programming. I've made mobile games and apps and I still suck at programming.

Do not get into programming. You might end up thinking you're more and more useless every day. Seriously, I have an inferiority complex that started because of it.
>>
>>24494179
Javascript is king of web dev. A majority of jobs require javascript in some way or a framework like angular/react if you don't want to be making a shitty salary. There's also node and mongo for back end stuff

Python stack and Ruby on rails are a close second.

I think you should do python first because Javascript isn't a good first language
>>
>>24494170
Odds are that you have a decent foundation that you can build on. There are plenty of free resources around that will allow you to fill in the gaps in your knowledge.
>>
>>24494212
>ruby/ruby on rails*
>>
>>24493873
Portfolio of your most impressive work so far, show it to a potential employer
>>
>>24494212
>I think you should do python first because Javascript isn't a good first language

Javascript is quirky but its fine as a first language I think. You can get away with not knowing a lot and still get some results with it. Python is a good first langauge too though.
>>
>>24494067
So PHP is actually quite good for what it does. Just what it does is shit.

Modern websites should no longer be entirely served from the server, data from the server should be client requested, with the UI all handled client side. Gives users a more seamless experience, lessens bandwidth load, and reduces load times across the board.
>>
>>24494212
Are there many jobs outside of web development? I've been doing it a bunch lately but I doubt I'd want to be doing web development in 5 years.
>>
>>24494248
Programmers are needed in every field that uses computers in some way... which is every field.
>>
>>24494216

I don't even know what you can do outside of games and how to do it, but most languages are the same in games since it all follows the same game logic, just writen a bit different.
>>
>>24493542
I did learn to program and even made a few dinky web and mobile games

my life didn't improve in any way
>>
>>24493934
>here are far more programming jobs available than there are CS graduates

This is a myth. Even if it were true there's quite a few programmers who graduated in something other than CS or didn't graduate at all. I've read in other threads that this so called shortage of programming job is just created to lure more people into taking that career path and thus undercutting the average wage for programmers.
>>
File: 1441904861342.jpg (481 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1441904861342.jpg
481 KB, 1920x1080
>syntax error
>correct it
>different syntax error
>correct it
>different syntax error
>correct it
>different syntax error

When does it end lads?
>>
>>24494267
The main skill to learn in programming is learning how to research solutions to problems. If a problem is too big, you break it into smaller problems and solve them one at a time.
>>
>>24494289
syntax errors are the easiest to fix. once you get a hang of it, that part would be the least worrisome
>>
File: 1364436372528.jpg (30 KB, 321x357) Image search: [Google]
1364436372528.jpg
30 KB, 321x357
>>24494288
>I've read in other threads.
>>
>>24494298

So you just Google stuff on how to do it right like I am already doing?
>>
>>24494288
I think a quick google search in job boards for start up jobs in SF/bay area would dispel that notion.

Unless there's a specific source people have been linking for that conspiracy? I've heard it before also and it's linked to h1bs
>>
>>24494274
It didn't improve because you are standing in the way. Get out of the way and let me deal with what happens next.

Reply you fucking niggers
>>
Anyone give me an estimate of how many hours I'd have to invest roughly (assuming I'm average) to learn some of the major programming languages?
>>
>>24494372
Yeah. fucking everyone does it too. Usually there's a Stack Overflow question that solves my exact problem. I don't copy-paste the code straight into my code, but I look at it to get a better understanding. I also usually have the language documentation open at all times and my IDE has a ton of auto-complete shit that means I don't have to remember the name of every method in the language.

Knowing a langauge doesn't mean you have to be able to program without using references like some kind of hacker in a shitty film, it just means you know how to make stuff actually work.
>>
Don't learn to program. You will just be slaving away for Chad manager who thinks he is better than you because he knows little Java but also got born good looking(with social skills). Like everything else it's a scam.
>>
>>24494409
I really couldn't say. I'd expect you could do some stuff after a few months.

Try codeacademy or freecodecamp and just work through some lessons.
>>
>>24494419
That's every job ever.
>>
>>24494434
Exactly. No robot in their right mind would do that, you are just working for normies. Financing Chads lifestyle and Staceys pack of niglets.
>>
Really would like a teacher.

I would do my homework but I deserve to learn from a master.
>>
>>24494462
That's why you do programming work for yourself not for your boss.
>>
>>24494347
It's a trick to bring wages down to average or below average. They advertise exorbitant salaries and huge gaps between supply and demand that do not exist in order to herd more people into the programs. Why is that so hard to understand?

>>24494375

I don't have the thread but a Bernd linked to a german language documentary where this technique was exposed. It applies to many professions and the supply demand gap is a false statistic somehow created to crash the wages in a niche.

Startup jobs in SF prove what exactly, that at some point someone advertised a job opening? Yeah ok so they did and 55 people applied for a job that one person snagged. The company took two or three months to interview and screen people. So?
>>
>>24494479
Still paying taxes. Still supporting normie society with your products.
>>
>>24494492
You gotta do something or else you just die or become homeless and I don't like that whatsoever
>>
>>24494489
Out of 15 people I knew all three got a job within 4 weeks specifically in the SF area. Obviously this is anecdotal and a small sample size which is hardly proof.

I would like to see actual evidence regarding it and not just the "technique" in some foreign language documentary that I can't really hear or listen to.

You're the one making the claim here and I've only see two articles regarding this on rather conspicuous sites.
>>
>>24494527
>all three got a job
>all of them got a job*
>>
>>24494517
Honestly just NEETing it out or going hermit sounds much better to me. Otherwise you are just accepting being shat on by normies.
>>
>>24494540
>Honestly just NEETing it out or going hermit
Not everyone gets money handed to them though, my mommy won't let me live in her basement for eternity so I can't do that.
Too bad that so I'll just have to get a bit of normie shit on me
>>
File: 1408009475305.jpg (37 KB, 374x421) Image search: [Google]
1408009475305.jpg
37 KB, 374x421
>>24494462
>No robot in their right mind would do that
>REEEEEE NORMIES REEEEE STACIES! RREEEEE CHADS! REEEEEEE!
>robot
>in their right mind
>>
>>24494527

The SF area is one percentile of the entire mainland economy. It's got startups which by their very nature require IT people for maintenance and techie jobs as well as programming and engineering jobs. The people you knew were possibly all fresh graduates too.

So if everyone who wanted to program moved to SF this would not be the case. And then there's places like Chicago, Dallas, St Louis, Denver, Cinci, Buffallo and countless large, medium and small cities where you have no idea what the supply versus demand is.
>>
>>24493542
>tfw applying for programming studies starting next fall
>math exam in 2 days that I need to pass to get in
>haven't started studying

welp
>>
>>24494611
Look anon, I completely agree that it's not a valid anecdote I even said that in my previous post.

I can completely see this being true which is why I'm asking for some evidence. I'm not criticizing you or saying that you're wrong, just that I would like to see the source referenced for this claim that isn't in a foreign language documentary
>>
>>24494602
Of course my mind is not right by normie standards, but they can never really disprove any points I make. They just insult and peer pressure. I don't consider normies to even be human.
>>
>>24494621
Teach yourself.

I fucking hate formalized courses and having to go to a classroom to learn. The teacher only teaches in a way that is best for THEIR learning style. So if your teacher is one of those autists who learns by writing out their notes and then reading them back to himself, he'll teach the class by reading his own notes to them.

If you teach yourself then you can find resources that work best for you.
>>
>>24494636
Your points aren't based in any kind of reason, so its impossible to argue with them. This is because you're legitimately deluded about the world to the point where you're probably diagnosably mentally ill.
>>
>>24493934
A real job/company will check degree as part of your background check. So yeah you can't really just ignore it
>>
>>24494655
You ignore it by applying to jobs anyway, you don't ignore it by lying and pretending that you have a degree.

Every IT manager WANTS to hire someone with a PHD, with 50 years experience, who was in the room with the guy who invented the programming language that the company is using. But they can only hire whoever applies. So apply and see what you get.
>>
>>24494653
It's actually normies who are deluded. It's normies who will ignore most negative things to feel happy. It's normies who will ignore the odds and their own shortcomings to maintain their positive delusion. Not robots.
>>
>>24494489
Most of them are monkeys anyway, so who cares. There is a recruiter that constantly sends garbage CVs to a colleague at work. He keeps doing it despite never having received a response. Every time he gets one he'll forward it to me and we'll laugh at it together.
>>
Is LISP worth learning?
I heard it is good for AI, which is the field I want to get into
My current programming skills are pretty basic (no pun intended)
>>
>>24494688
I fucking hate recruiters
>>
>>24494665
>Every IT manager WANTS to hire someone with a PHD, with 50 years experience, who was in the room with the guy who invented the programming language that the company is using
The fuck are you talking about? We want to hire the person that fits the role we are looking for. If we are looking for a graduate, we have $60k to work with. No one with the credentials you described is going to work for that salary.
>>
>>24494693
Absolutely, but learn a dialect that is relevant today. Common Lisp is very quickly becoming obsolete, Clojure is the most practical currently.
>>
>>24494717
Already learning Java and C++ as part of my CS course

Do I need to learn the whole lambda calculus stuff beforehand?
>>
>>24494699
Who doesn't? Scum of the Earth.
>>
$poster= $this->thread.getPosters();

foreach($poster as &$person)
{
$person.die('painful = true');
}
>>
I'm not smart enough to learn programming.
>>
>>24494726
Probably not. I think Lambda is just a term to describe binding a function to a variable which can be passed around. It's a useful feature and is available in many languages. Python and Javascript being two that I know of.
>>
>>24494726
Java and C++ are completely antithetical to Lisp, though knowing Java will help you when learning Clojure. You don't need to learn lambda calculus, just learn Lisp.
>>
File: 1362503576938.jpg (26 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1362503576938.jpg
26 KB, 300x300
>>24494746
>php
>>
>>24494756
>>24494754
Ah okay, I was reading about it and I thought it said lambda calculus was a big part of LISP, turns out they just meant the notation
>>
>>24494770
while(true)
{
var_dump("RIEEEEEEEEE");
}
>>
File: image.jpg (108 KB, 662x442) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108 KB, 662x442
>>24493542
>mfw I know how to program
>mfw I have an IT job that pays $5k a month
>mfw
>>
Id like to but I have no clue where to start. So many languages and resources that im nbot sure where to begin
>>
>>24494805
It is a big part of Lisp and every functional language. It's just that learning the mathematical system is not a pre-requisite for learning the language.
>>
>>24494827
congrats you make below the average salary per year
>>
This is the super secret chan for programmers

http://bbs.progrider.org/prog/
>>
>>24494855
Ah i get it now
It still sounded pretty interesting from what I read

I will probably give LISP a try once I have gotten a bit better with Java and C
>>
unset($myself);
>>
>>24494850
https://www.codecademy.com/
http://www.freecodecamp.com/
https://www.khanacademy.org/

Pick one.
>>
>>24494886
codecademy is really bad, I've tried it before. Though I already use khan for math so maybe I might try programming there
>>
>>24494858
I don't care about making $60k a year. It's enough for me to live comfortably in my apartment and that's what's good.
>>
Actual AI is impossible.
However, broad and elaborate scripts, a pretend AI in other words...
is all we need.
>>
>>24494903
I disagree, not only do I think its possible, i think it is inevitable
My robot waifu is out there waiting
>>
>>24493836
Meme or not, SICP is no joke. Speaking as a guy who actually gets paid for this, you're already ahead of the pack if you've completed and understood SICP.
>>
>>24494917
A female waifu robot doesn't really need to be very intelligent though, does it.
>>
>>24494947
It is better if i know she loves me for real
>>
>>24494947
The programming should be possible but do we even understand human behaviour enough to make a realistic portrayal of it?
>>
>>24494966
This is why the next AI breakthrough will be a neuroscience one
>>
>>24494980
I agree with that, but it can't come sooner to be honest.
>>
>>24494966
I think a good starting point would be to develop artificial emotion rather than artificial intelligence. We don't even know what intelligence really is, and we're far less intelligent or rational creatures than we like to think we are.
>>
>>24494903
AI is not created by hand, it is trained through algorithms such as back propagation or evolutionary algorithms.
>>
File: alex_jones.jpg (217 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
alex_jones.jpg
217 KB, 750x500
>>24494633

I wish I even had a link to the foreign language documentary but I don't. I just remember that thread and how sincere the anon who posted the link sounded. He also said the documentary had not yet been translated. It was however an extensive investigation into these practices where the numbers on deficits are fudged.

From what I recall the argument went something like there would be 1.2 million job openings for something like a level 2 helpdesk support person. Every year about 400k people would shuffle in and out of that role but the number of jobs would remain the exact same amount. In anticipation, HR would advertise 400k jobs here and there with most of those positions usually filled and there would be 500k people willing to work those jobs. HR would snatch 300k from other companies, as in opportunistic wagekeks looking for a raise elsewhere, and 100k from the general public while 100k would be purged from the IT industry for various reasons.

As you can see there's no deficit of qualified workers but businesses collude with statasticians and the media to misreport this situation as a gaping deficit of 300k or 400k jobs that have gone unfilled. This is the gist of it and if true you don't really need to have it spoonfed to you over the course of an hour by a reporter.
>>
>>24495000
You realize that as soon as we get true artificial intelligence, our entire economy is going to have to change because around half of all jobs done by humans will be doable by machines.
>>
>>24495023
Sure our economy will change but I think we'll be able to cope and it won't be an instant change but a slow one that's already happening with lesser intelligent AI we have now.
>>
>>24495013
I'm sure its a real practice. If you read the Grapes of Wrath you'll see that its not new either. I just doubt that it applies in this case, because it relies on a "businesses colluding with statisticians" conspiratard theory.
>>
>>24495072
Or society will transform into a small number of super-rich feudal dynasties using their robot workers to steadily grind the a vast underclass of human livestock into biomass paste for use in a variety of industrial applications while they fight amongst themselves for resources with their vast robot armies.
>>
>>24495023
>around half
Try every job
Not only that, due to the processing power of computers it is likely that the difference of intelligence between us and them will be like the difference of intelligence between a gorilla and a human
Every problem we have ever had will be solved instantly, every invention we have ever thought of will be invented instantly
Super Intelligent AI will be the last invention human kind will ever create
The downside is that we will no longer be the dominant species on earth
>>
>>24495130
Soylent Green is people!
>>
File: 1442314660578.gif (410 KB, 221x196) Image search: [Google]
1442314660578.gif
410 KB, 221x196
>>24493934
>but I'm strongest with Javascript.
java's on it's way out mang
>>
What are your favourite language(s)?

C++/C# here
>>
>>24495164
> i have no idea what i'm talking about
cool story bro
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (93 KB, 1034x781) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
93 KB, 1034x781
>>24493542
Trying to tech myself java at the moment.
Currently trying to make a game.

Here's what it looks like so far.
>>
>>24495232
Actually I was paraphrasing a ted x talk from an actual AI researcher, cant remember his name
He probably explained it better than me
>>
>>24495253
>meow meow
wew
>>
>>24495080

Colluding with the press for the most part. The collusion with statasticians isn't that essential because it's the interpretation of stats that is required and an inhouse "data scientist" can do that at any media outlet. You don't need to get armies of statisticians on board just to warp a few numbers into a different interpretation, you just need press releases propagated with that theme.
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (314 KB, 1028x773) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
314 KB, 1028x773
>>24495269
just for you
3r4qg57r
>>
File: 23mGq6v.jpg (71 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
23mGq6v.jpg
71 KB, 700x500
>>24495200
Javascript
>>
File: hmm.png (2 KB, 110x153) Image search: [Google]
hmm.png
2 KB, 110x153
>>24493542
How long do I need to study to get a decent job in programming, assuming I teach myself?
>>
>>24495446

>not knowing the 10k hour rule
>>
>>24495182
>Java == Javascript
Fuck it, here's your (You). Both are shit, but for entirely different reasons. I wouldn't learn Java because it seems there's already a surplus of programmers (that's probably why Java keeps topping the job market share). I've had to learn Scala for school though, and that runs on the JVM

JS continues to be useful, especially now that big companies are buying into the real-time asynchronous buzzword bullshit that was started by Node. jQuery ans CoffeeScript help, but the language is still a mess. Remember, it was developed in 10 days.
>>
>>24493542
I can barely even do my below minimum wage job. The only reason they keep me because I work for scraps and I'm too afraid to steal.
>>
File: futuramafry.jpg (10 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
futuramafry.jpg
10 KB, 300x300
>>24495463
>finish studying programming
>at my late 30s
>no work experience
>>
to get a job you need a degree and experience
to freelance you either need a shitton of experience with references or be willing to work for $2 an hour
>>
File: dawwww.jpg (64 KB, 535x462) Image search: [Google]
dawwww.jpg
64 KB, 535x462
>>24495518
>studying programming
>not working hundreds, perhaps thousands of hours academically in order to learn
>>
>>24495554

To freelance you just need to be able to code. You can be paid per project without anyone watching over you every hour.

Well let's say you want to code your own app. You need to work for $0 per hour but if done right it can pay off.
>>
>>24495670
>To freelance you just need to be able to code. You can be paid per project without anyone watching over you every hour.
yeah while competing with 100 million indians that can work for 5 cents an hour because it's a livable wage in india
inb4
>they're retarded
they're good enough for 90% of projects
and the 10% they're not, eastern europeans still charge far less
>>
>>24495130
>society will transform into a small number of super-rich feudal dynasties

I'm pretty sure we reached this point a long time ago.
>>
>>24495687
>Indian programmers
>good enough

Toppest of keks.

Here's the kind of garbage churned out by an Indian contractor asked to write a script that validates whether an input value is a valid dollar amount:

http://pastebin.com/pzWXYmUc

Indian programmers are monkeys.
>>
File: istock_000016283053xsmall.jpg (64 KB, 426x282) Image search: [Google]
istock_000016283053xsmall.jpg
64 KB, 426x282
All this talk about programmers reminds me of this one forum link I got off /g/ a few weeks ago that lead to a huge thread on a forum that was pure rants about programming jobs, recruitors, H1b people, outsourcing horror stories and such. The rest of the forum was about political and social issues I think. That forum allowed anonymous posting as well as nicknamed(namfag) posting. Anyone know the URL off hand if you lurk /g/ much? They used shlomo, apu and chris hanson pics as emoticons in that thread is all I can really remember.
>>
>>24495891
Was it reddit?
>>
>>24493542
Oy mate, you have no idea what you're talking about.

All the big corps that you hear are "the greatest place to work ever" as a programmer usually take you for an internship that lasts literally forever (I heard about IBM having 2+ years long internships) where you work for basically $100/month + benefits.

The "I'm gonna be rich" programmer dream died few years ago, except for the people who managed to get into that business before shit hit the fan.
>>
>>24495921
Well... then don't work for that company? Work somewhere else.
>>
>>24495938
I have worked in several big game dev companies (weeb's dream I guess), but it was always terrible, the only thing that kept me going was the fact that I was doing what I liked. It's pretty much slavery, especially for the writers, they are working almost for free. I'm talking about a major cRPG business.

Now I work as a manager in a shitty restaurant (and I must admit my programming skills landed me the job, I automated some of the things and the boss liked the idea) and the pay is better, but it's still a shitty job.
>>
>>24495938
>"why don't you work for someone else"
>Yahoo LITERALLY worked people for 100 hour weeks, for WEEKS
>thinks anyone actually gives a fuck
There's always more indians and women willing to take shittier and shitter jobs.
>>
>>24495914

No way in fucking hell was it reddit(not sure if sarcazzing). This was a forum software similar to SMF or vBulletin or phpBB and it was themed with a black background with white text. About half the posters were namefags with regular names and the other half was "Anonymous" meaning I guess you didn't need an account to post. It wasn't an image board like the chans are, it was discussion forum software I think. Had a really nondescript site name like sl509.net or something like that.
>>
>studying computer science
>wear girl clothes while programming
Making the meme true one day at a time
>>
File: 1334776198279.png (42 KB, 200x188) Image search: [Google]
1334776198279.png
42 KB, 200x188
>>24495969
>Now I work as a manager in a shitty restaurant
>and the pay is better
>>
>>24495969
>big game dev companies

Fuck that. I imagine the gaming industry is a cesspit due to how many autists are "passionate" about games.

I work for a small local company that makes educational software. Its cosy.

>>24496000

There will always be good and bad places to work no matter what field you go into. Nice trips tho.
>>
>>24496074
>I imagine the gaming industry is a cesspit due to how many autists are "passionate" about games.

This made me kek and rage internally at the same time
>>
I've considered (and still do) to learn C++. However, I can't seem to get past the point of "what to do with it?".
I lack inspiration for things to program, and things like making games with UE4 and predominantly C++ is something well beyond my capabilities for now.
Besides, profit-wise I doubt I'll ever manage to become proficient enough to "compete" with people who actually have a degree for it; not to mention the lack of a degree being a serious disadvantage altogether.
>>
>>24496377
>and things like making games with UE4 and predominantly C++ is something well beyond my capabilities for now.
you are wrong, ue4 has graphical programming language, so it doesn't require C++.
Also you don't need any in-depth knowledge to follow the tutorials.
>I lack inspiration for things to program
Make simple graphics effects, they are fun. An example of mine: http://pastebin.com/UusTqeM7

>Besides, profit-wise I doubt I'll ever manage to become proficient enough to "compete" with people who actually have a degree for it; not to mention the lack of a degree being a serious disadvantage altogether.
You have a 1-st world citizenship, so you will be preferred to 3-rd world visa worker even if he has a degree and is better than you
>>
Where the fuck does one go to learn programming?
>>
>>24496377
>I've considered (and still do) to learn C++. However, I can't seem to get past the point of "what to do with it?".

Search google for "beginner projects for c++" and you'll have thousands of options.

>Besides, profit-wise I doubt I'll ever manage to become proficient enough to "compete" with people who actually have a degree for it; not to mention the lack of a degree being a serious disadvantage altogether.

That's bullshit senpai.

A degree doesn't really train you to do much, it gives you a brief overview of everything, and makes you aware of how much stuff you don't know. Then you pick an area to specialize in and learn that stuff.

Also on a degree you'll generally create a bunch of programs in order to learn certain concepts, but most of a professional programmer's time is spent maintaining an existing codebase and reading other people's code. A graduate is no better equipped to do a job than someone who is self taught. The important thing is knowing your stuff.

If you want a curriculum to follow for self study try this:
https://github.com/open-source-society/computer-science

I don't know half of the bullshit on that list and I'm still perfectly employable.
>>
>>24496074
>gaming industry is a cesspit
it really is
http://kotaku.com/crunch-time-why-game-developers-work-such-insane-hours-1704744577
also it pays 20% less than webdev even if gamdevs work more hours and do much more complex stuff
>>
>>24496701
https://www.codecademy.com/
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Web/JavaScript
>>
>>24496701
If you don't know how to use google, you're not going to make it.
>>
File: trap_programmers.jpg (18 KB, 237x213) Image search: [Google]
trap_programmers.jpg
18 KB, 237x213
>>24496022
rememeber
>>
>>24495921
>The "I'm gonna be rich" programmer dream died few years ago, except for the people who managed to get into that business before shit hit the fan.

Nope. We are in second dotcom bubble right now. You can still get rich if you read https://news.ycombinator.com/ move to bay area and work and save like this guy http://frominsidethebox.com/

the starting salary in silicon valley for HTML5/CSS3/JS dev is 120k$: https://angel.co/salaries
>>
>>24493542
How does one get started?
>>
>>24496835
Other posts in this thread have links to websites that will get you started.
>>
>>24496784
>tfw no other cute boys in my uni
>>
>>24493959
As a professional programmer at a large corporation that sells something other than software, my sides are in fucking orbit.

You don't have to know shit about data structures, algorithms, or CS theory. You don't even have to have a basic understanding of how computers work. You just need to pass C# 101 and learn how to call functions, how to write loops, etc. That's basically all you need. I write extremely boring business code that basically just fetches a list of data and retrieves a specific record from it, over and over and over again. Everything I've written on the job is five times easier than even the medium-difficulty projects I had in college.

Granted, I also hate my job, and I want to go into video games. If you want to actually do any interesting programming, then yeah, you have to be smart and you have to know some things. But if you just want an easy programming job and a decent salary working around Indians all day, then you can be pretty retarded.
>>
>>24496863
If I were in your uni we'd be friends
but I'm ~10000km away (on the other side of the globe, basically)..
>>
File: 1430322716127.png (28 KB, 271x209) Image search: [Google]
1430322716127.png
28 KB, 271x209
>>24496784
I'm fucking tired of this shit
>>
>>24496892
How do you know where I live? I'm an Euro.
>>
>>24496890
>Granted, I also hate my job, and I want to go into video games.

If I were you I'd save 80% of my salary to index funds while doing unity gamedev as hobby
later when you are financially independent you can go gamdev full-time on your ownpayroll
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 400x426) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 400x426
>Ctrl-f haskell
>no matches
>Ctrl-f coq
>no matches

Fucking pleb tier. Enjoy getting outsourced to India in a few years, codekeks.
>>
>>24496890
Sounds like you could automate your own job.
>>
>>24496925
I'm writing a game right now to put on my resume. I thought about going full-time indie, but I figured that by spending a few years in the traditional industry, I can get friends and experience so striking out on my own will be even easier later.
>>
I don't even know where to begin.
Because of my autism, reading books is impossible for me because I lose concentration easily.
>>
File: 1448322178531.png (257 KB, 600x839) Image search: [Google]
1448322178531.png
257 KB, 600x839
>>24496902
you are just envious because you don't have qt bf :3
>>
>>24496985
http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/

I use Code::Blocks. It doesn't cover AI or anything, but something like tic-tac-toe using a mouse or Tetris should be doable
>>
>>24496915
almost everybody here is from the US
well, I'm still 2-3k km away from you, hehe
>>
>>24496833
$120k is like $70k elsewhere though. The price for everything is outrageous.
>>
>>24497017
But qt bfs don't exist. They might have a nice body, but the face always reveals the manly testosterone.
Also, once they hit their 25+, it'll all go downhill and eventually you're dating with a dude.
>>
>>24496985
do this tutorial http://code.tutsplus.com/articles/learn-html5-with-this-simple-avoider-game-tutorial--active-9653 or any other from google https://www.google.com/search?q=html5+game+tutorial

You don't need anything except your browser and notepad++
>>
>>24496673
>ue4 has graphical programming language, so it doesn't require C++.
I know of the visual system (called Blueprint I believe), but my aim of using UE4 to make games is more with the focus on programming with C++ than making the game itself.
>Make simple graphics effects, they are fun. An example of mine: http://pastebin.com/UusTqeM7
Sounds like an interesting idea, I'll try that. I don't even have UE4 installed yet (currently using VS Express 2013 for simple practicing as I read through some tutorial), will check your example once I have.
>You have a 1-st world citizenship, so you will be preferred to 3-rd world visa worker even if he has a degree and is better than you
I guess, though they're generally much cheaper. I'm currently not too focused on the profit aspects as I have a minimum wage parttime job already, so worrying about getting better is probably a good first priority.

>>24496718
>Search google for "beginner projects for c++"
...why the fuck I didn't think of that is beyond me. Thanks, that and the other Anon's suggestions should help.
>A degree doesn't really train you to do much
>A graduate is no better equipped to do a job than someone who is self taught.
You know that, I know that, even an employer likely knows it, but a degree shows you have already proven yourself you can do at least something. Employers like using it as a filter to reduce the chance of wasting time on someone who turns out to be pretty bad after all.
It should be doable though, I reckon. Some solo work or freelancing combined with keeping a portfolio should help over time, especially as profit isn't a top priority for now.

Thanks both, talking about programming here and getting the feedback gave me some motivation to give it another go again. Hopefully it'll last long enough to get past that first hurdle after which the programming itself should generate some motivation.
The time for bullshit excuses and half-assery is over.
>>
>>24497058
I like dating with dudes
Come on, if women love chads there should be something cool about masculinity!
>>
>>24497036
>tfw no qt3.14 russki bf
>>
>>24497128
Nope thats just complete faggotry.
>>
>>24497111
My example does not require UE and VE, I did it with codeblocks (built-in mngw compiler) and SDL2 http://lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/01_hello_SDL/windows/codeblocks/

It can be ported to any platform that allows you to draw pixels, though
it looks like picrelated
>>
>>24496985

I can read a book if I'm away from a computer screen, but I can't read a book on a computer screen. Which is a shame since coding requires a computer with a screen.

I find a lot of value in youtube video tutorials and recorded lectures/seminars. So try those.
>>
>>24497111
>You know that, I know that, even an employer likely knows it, but a degree shows you have already proven yourself you can do at least something. Employers like using it as a filter to reduce the chance of wasting time on someone who turns out to be pretty bad after all.

HR drones usually don't know shit about programming. If you cram enough programming buzzwords onto your resume as possible you should get past the mouth-breathing recruiters and get an interview with someone who knows what a computer is.

Sure, some employers might toss your resume because of no degree. It doesn't matter.
>>
I'm trying to make a game in Unity
it is way easier than I thought, you can build a scene with point'n'click
the most complex part is actually creating the 3d models and texturing them
>>
>>24497159
Goes to show how pleb I still am in terms of programming or similar, not recognizing that.
That does look like fun to create.

>>24497205
I guess that makes sense. Doesn't hurt trying that approach at least; applying for any kind of job is pretty much a numbers game anyway.
>>
>>24496833
>the starting salary in silicon valley for HTML5/CSS3/JS dev is 120k
>>
>>24493542
>Program myself a gf
>Don't bother to debug, I'm confident in my programming
>Even wrote it in the best language ever, c++
>Start up my gf program
>Can feel the excitement that I can finally get a gf
>Suddenly an error message
>"ERROR : Virtual GF Aborted : Virgin detected"
>Program crashes and deletes itself from my hard drive along with all the source code
>>
File: 1379799376162.jpg (20 KB, 500x310) Image search: [Google]
1379799376162.jpg
20 KB, 500x310
>>24497656
>losing source code
>2015
>not using git for version control
>>
File: 20150715191428.png (446 KB, 800x509) Image search: [Google]
20150715191428.png
446 KB, 800x509
tfw too dumb to learn how to program.

>2 weeks into python
>Still clueless
>Using google everytime for help.
>Normie teacher doesn't do anything to make our learning process smoother.
>Ask for help
>"Don't worry anon! You'll get it eventually!..."
>Never get it.
>>
>>24494806
if (sad() === true) {
sad.stop();
beAwesome();
}

:^)
>>
>>24498363
>if (sad() === true)
would not hire
>>
>>24493542
It's hard.
I see the text typed and I find it hard to follow the logic even if I'm the one who typed it. My mind wasn't made for logical work.

I really really wish I could, just to make fun applications myself, but I'll never manage, my brain isn't made for it.
>>
File: javascript.jpg (99 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
javascript.jpg
99 KB, 1024x576
>>24493934
>Javascript
Image related.
>>
>>24493542
I have no willpower at all.
>>24493797
>Even women can program these days.
Are you talking about tip whores who get hundreds in donations for little coding?
>>
>>24494187
>Digg, the social bookmarking service so wildly popular that a front page link can crush the beefiest of webservers?
Jesus christ this article is older than most posters on /b/
>>
I don't want to program.
I don't want to school.
I just want to die.
Fucking kill me already.
>>
>>24494409
Learning a programming language is not the same as learning a spoken language. You can't just memorize flash cards for a year and "speak" it. Especially if it's your first programming. The hardest part is training your brain to think logically and how to solve problems using programming. For this, I would suggest Harvard's Cs50 free online class. The videos are excellent, and don't be intimidated by Harvard. Anyone can learn this stuff, and the videos make way more sense than my stupid first programming classes did.
>>
>>24493542
>Why don't you learn to program?
every autistic sperg is doing that, besides I live in the middle of no where Who would hire me
>>
>>24498482
Yeh I know. But at least it has good parts.
>>
>>24498441
>my brain isn't made for it.
lel typical first-worlder way of avoiding mental work
your attitude is really the only problem
anybody that can play with legos can learn how to program
>>
>>24500094
>anybody that can play with legos can learn how to program
If you consider Game Maker programming, this is true.

The moment you get into actually typing code instead of dragging blocks, this goes to fuck.
>>
>>24500126
you just modify your code until it compiles and thats all
>>
File: 83hHAE.gif (91 KB, 955x91) Image search: [Google]
83hHAE.gif
91 KB, 955x91
dont know much about programming. what's being used here (js, css, ???), how does the page know to bring up the text under the different categories when you start to click and drag an email? how does the category change to yellow when you hover over it, what makes the little bubble "Move 1 conversation" pop up when you initially click on the email? is the page "primed" (idk)to do all that shit once you first click and hold an email?

seems interesting
>>
>>24500580
when you hover over elements it triggers things called event listeners, which contain small programs called "functions" that do stuff like change the colour or anything else
its done with javascript, but web programmers know HTML, CSS and Javascript usually
>>
Programming is impossible for me, I'm a literal 76iq retard. I tried that codeacademy stuff and got stumped so quick.
>>
>>24500786
you should try at least 3 more times
>>
>>24500989
why? ive tried it twice already and im still a retard, nothing changed from the first time i tried
>>
>tfw know how to code
>tfw have CompE degree
>tfw NEET

don't fall for the meme
>>
>>24494067
PHP is shit but it's better than perl.
>>
File: debt-slaves.png (658 KB, 720x823) Image search: [Google]
debt-slaves.png
658 KB, 720x823
Know:
>All about making top-tier functioning websites for businesses or people in general.

Know for a fact I can continue making a lot of money doing it, because I have, but I do not feel like doing it anymore, because I was chained to a PC daily.

When you work at a computer you cannot just get up and do whatever you want all of the time (you are in competition with other developers) like most of you NEET individuals do (I currently do the same now), which is why I opted for your life. I also know what the real world is, so I said fuck it and do whatever I want.
>>
>>24494921
Thanks, guy, really appreciate that post.
I dream on.
>>
>>24501111
checked
>tfw competent programmer
>tfw fucking hate programming
>>
>>24501360
>queen on top

deluded
>>
>>24498356
>Never got python
But how? That's literally the easiest and meme-iest language that has ever existed.
>>
I was supposed to be in a programming job but after a bout of run ins with a bunch of normies and women they just ruined programming for me. I used to enjoy it but now i can't even leave an IDE open for more than a few minutes without feeling demotivated and disgusted
>>
>>24498363
>>24498428
Nah you're doing it all wrong.

global main
extern WriteFile

section .text
main:
mov al, [SadnessLevel]

cmp al, 01h ; am depressed
je PleaseKillMe

cmp al, 02h ; am feeling good
je FeelGoodMan
PleaseKillMe:
ret
FeelsGoodMan:
; win32 WriteFile function here for printing to output and print out meme shit
ret
section .data
SadnessLevel: db 01h
>>
>>24501001
you should try to build something
make test.html file and open it in browser, create something in it
>>
>>24493797
>Even women can program these days.

Yeah, I worked with a "woman programmer". At least she knew how to change colors in HTML. Still to this day don't know how she got hired.
>>
>>24501396

This. If you can't even figure out Python you should give up on programming and learn welding or air conditioning repair instead.
>>
>>24494827
>have an IT job
how do i into IT job?Im doing CE right now...
>>
>>24501469
Diversity quotas ;^)
>>
>>24501469
I forked a "woman programmer"
tastes like chicken
>>
>>24501493
you move to silicon valley and apply to http://news.ycombinator.com/jobs https://angel.co/
>>
>>24501390
2bh it's not so much that I hate it, it's that 99% of programming jobs out there seem to be boring, meaningless crap. I'd rather off myself than spend 10 hours a day programming database #34857923 in Java. The 1% that aren't boring require that you have 10 years experience with really specific tools working on some esoteric CPU architecture.
>>
>>24501452
i dont know how to build anything, i got confused on one of the first things on codeacademy, even the very basic of basic things about programming is too much for me
>>
>>24493542
In the same vein as coding, CAD is a stupidly useful skill. For those who don't know it's a program used by engineering firms to create 3D objects. But doing this is "beneath" a regular engineer. Thus CAD artists are needed as skilled labor.

Want to make $15 an hour? Salaried position with benefits?

1. Buy a big bag of coffee
2. Torrent cracked version of CAD
3. Stay inside for one month, watching youtube tutorials and self teaching CAD. Make a portfolio.
4. Go on craigslist and find a job

God speed robots. And talk talk about faggy shit like MLP in your interview.
>>
>>24501838
create a file text.html and copypaste codeacademy code there, open it with the browser
>>
>>24501630
This. I actually love to program but every job is essentially the same boring simple business application bullshit. I'd love to program shit for myself and make some money off it but I have no clue what.
>>
>>24493934
>and there are far more programming jobs available than there are CS graduates.
As an undergraduate in CS, I hear this meme all the time. It's a bullshit line companies repeat as an excuse to import cheap Indians so they can drive down wages.

http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/03/the-myth-of-the-science-and-engineering-shortage/284359/
>>
>>24497051
>Google guy living in his box truck.jpg
>>
>>24493542
I learned to program. It is the most boring job.
>>
Started learning c++ some time ago. Got bored midway through and dropped it. You need to have passion for this kind of stuff.
Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.