[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happens when we die? Are we infinite? Nothingness isn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 1412259935553.jpg (147 KB, 616x943) Image search: [Google]
1412259935553.jpg
147 KB, 616x943
What happens when we die? Are we infinite? Nothingness isn't a real experience after all
>>
>>24476754
If we knew for certain, it would probably change a lot about how we thought.
>>
>>24476754
Your brain stops functioning which marks the end of any and all consciousness. Nothingness isn't the experience because there's nothing left of you that can experience anything.
>>
File: NEET.jpg (45 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
NEET.jpg
45 KB, 409x409
What do you experience when you are asleep and don't dream? It seems you fall asleep and wake up in a second, because you did not experience anything except unconsciousness.
>>
You can't die. If you try to kill yourself, and you succeed, your consciousness will immediately switch to your body in a reality that is completely identical to your current reality. You won't realize it happened and will simply think you failed. All around you your friends and family will die, but they won't actually, their minds will switch to their own infinitely stretching realities as well. Old age will inevitably come, and things like cancer and Alzheimer's should kill you, but every time you face death, if you die in your current reality, your mind will once again switch to a reality where you cheated death once again. This will continue until you become the new God of your personal universe.
>>
>>24476796
>What do you experience when you are asleep and don't dream?

We always experience something. How could we know we're experiencing nothing? We simply forgot what the dream was before we had time to consciously recall it.

What did you have for dinner 23 days ago? Can't remember it, huh? Still happened.
>>
>>24476869
This theory sucks and is baseless. Why aren't there people walking around that are thousands of years old?
>>
>>24476901
Simple. When you reach 100+ years old your body will begin to break down and be affected by ailments that you have an extremely small chance of surviving. Eventually you reach a point where the odds of you surviving another hour are one in a million, essentially a miracle. Statistically it would be incredibly improbable for two people to beat the odds and survive into 1000+ years old, where every additional second these individuals survive are so unlikely they can be considered miracles. All individual consciousnesses branch off. Each individual person continues to follow their branch of survival against all odds.
>>
>>24477077
They've only successfully committed suicide in this current universe where we are conversing. Their consciousness has switched to a universe that is otherwise identical to this one except that they have failed their attempt. We can no longer converse with them across universes. You and I only share this universe as long as we survive in this universe. When one of us dies here, we will switch over to another reality where we have not yet died.
>>
>>24476998
I've heard this "theory" before, so I'm not gonna ask what drove you to pull this out your ass.

What makes you believe this? I'm not a "evidence!!" sciencefag, I'm very open-minded. But what made you choose this out of everything? Why didn't you choose something more purposeful and logical, such as the possibility that we're immortal souls experiencing a human vessel and keep reincarnating (being born again) upon death back to earth until we learn our lessons and ascend to the next density?
>>
File: pepe.jpg (637 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
637 KB, 1500x1500
>>24476881
We experience it yeah, but you think you didn't
>>
>>24476796
It does sort of feel like you fall asleep and wake up immediately, but I do seem to have a sense of how much time has gone by.
>>
>>24477146
I don't believe it, I just think it's interesting to think about and also unfalsifiable.
>>
>>24477170
But that "missing memory" can't be filled in with "nothingness" because nothingness never has, can or will ever happen because that's a made up dumb FUCKING FAIRY TALE NAME, YOU FUCK!
>>
>>24477263
Woah. That's a lot of rare pepes in one image
>>
>>24476754
You'll born in another dimension.
>>
>>24476754
Good question to which there's no real answer sadly. I'd love to imagine the religious idea that there's a heaven and you meet all your friends and family up there at some point and live forever in bliss...but desu, I really don't believe that.

Most likely, when we die it's like going to sleep, except you never wake up and that's it, you're gone. Of course I'd like to believe in some non religious idea of existing somehow after death. I guess our atoms remain at least, albeit sucked back into the earth.
>>
>>24476754
*maybe* the suffering ends
>>
>>24476998
It doesn't need to be two 1000 years old people.
1 would suffice.
After all, considering that this is something inevitable and that there have been 107 billion people to ever live in this universe (first result in google claims so), one would think that there could be at least one that has been observed to reach 200, 300 or 400 years of age.
What would make the universe I am part of ward off low probability survivors?
>>
>>24477202
What always interested me was how I can never recall the exact moment I actually fell asleep. I can only remember certain thoughts I thought while in bed, but my last thought before unconscienceness is always ambigious
>>
>>24477432
Nothing but statistics. It's possible but prohibitively unlikely. Say that the chances of survival of a 1000 year old person are 1/1trillion every minute. Even with 100 billion humans on earth, the odds of one having coincidentally survived in such a prolonged manner in your (currently "our") universe are prohibitively unlikely.
>>
I hope it's like sleeping.

Sleeping is good.
>>
>>24476901
There was some asian guy that was 260+ years old, but that was in the 16th century
>>
After a psychotic episode caused by weed a few months ago, I experienced a (sober) relapse of a week-long (fading back to normality as the week went on) limbo state in between wakefulness and sleep alongside derealisation and memory loss of "labels" of objects.

In this state, without these "labels" - even though I could see - I truly felt blind because nothing visual had any meaning to me. I heard music that was decoded in my brain in a strange chopped up yet simplified way (as if only one alien instrument was orchestrating it) which sounded like infinitely intelligent alien noises part of all space.

I saw that life is infinite and is indeed meaningless unless we give it meaning. Also that there are levels of consciousness out there extremely alien to us. Even our own reality is part of that, it's just that we're riding the wavelength of our human reality that it seems normal to us.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.