[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reminder that exercise is the key to overcoming depression a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 13
File: 1445341974594.jpg (113 KB, 468x714) Image search: [Google]
1445341974594.jpg
113 KB, 468x714
Reminder that exercise is the key to overcoming depression and anxiety. Anyone can do it and you don't even have to leave the house.

This is a "prisoner workout" that doesn't require any equipment. You can do it right now if you have some space next to your computer desk.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/08/05/the-prisoner-workout/

>b-but I can't do a pushup!

If you can't do a single pushup, even a knees-on-the-ground pushup, you probably need to build core strength. To accomplish this, do planks. Lay down and put your elbows level with your chest, forearms parallel with your neck. Get into the pushup position with your knees above the ground. Hold this position until you can't continue and see how long you held it. Do this three times with breaks in between and you're done for the day. You'll gradually develop core strength and then be able to progress to more difficult exercises like pushups, dips, and chinups.

>I d-dont't want to go to the gym to do chinups!

You can buy a door chinup bar from Amazon for 30 dollars. It will fit in just about any door frame and requires no screws or other installation.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HBUNAO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

Continued
>>
The only person holding you back from happiness is yourself. Exercise releases serotonin acting as a natural anti-depressant. As you get stronger you will be significantly less nervous in public. Even if you are very ugly having a stronger frame gives you more respect. Exercising will also help get rid of acne. Exercising releases testosterone making your voice deeper, your sex drive stronger, and increasing energy levels and confidence.

Doing this one simple thing for 15 minutes a day will make your entire life better even if you are a 300 lb NEET. Please exercise. You don't have to go outside and run, buy an expensive gym membership, hire a personal trainer, get a bunch of supplements/vitamins, or anything else to be healthy. 15 minutes of exercise in the comfort of your room will make you happier and healthier. Start right now.

Stand up from your chair and, if you can, do 10 body weight squats (if you can do more feel free). Take a break for a minute, then do 10 more. You should feel your heart pumping blood faster through your body. Your breathing is quickened. Your legs/butt are painful but you are also energized. Now get on the ground and do 10 pushups or more. If you can't do regular pushups do "lady" pushups with your knees on the ground. Then do a plank for as long as you can. Do 10 more pushups, then another plank, and you're done. I promise you'll feel 10x better than you did before and your whole day will be better.

Increase your reps/plank time over time. Develop a schedule and do different exercises on different days. If you work out hard enough you only have to do it 3 days a week.

Good luck robots.
>>
Get out. This board does not belong to you REEEEEE
>>
Go fuck yourself, I've been lifting for 8 months and I feel even worse than when I started, it makes me question my very own existence.
>>
>>24474457
>The only person holding you back from happiness is yourself. Exercise releases serotonin acting as a natural anti-depressant. As you get stronger you will be significantly less nervous in public. Even if you are very ugly having a stronger frame gives you more respect. Exercising will also help get rid of acne. Exercising releases testosterone making your voice deeper, your sex drive stronger, and increasing energy levels and confidence.
All this is true, however, it still won't cure depression.

t. robot who lifts 5+ years
>>
>>24474421
>Reminder that exercise is the key to overcoming depression and anxiety.
A tall tale, but quite unlikely.

Everyone knows the real secret is alcohol.
>>
>>24474421
reminder that this is bullshit and the endorphin high lasts only 30 minutes at most.
>>
>>24474421
intellectual pursuits are superior
>>
>>24474457
wait isn't it bad to exercice everyday ?
I do 10x5 push ups 10x5 sit ups and 30secx5 plank every two days, would it be better to do it everyday ?
>>
>>24475849

every two days is fine imo
>>
File: 1421090065801.png (180 KB, 750x899) Image search: [Google]
1421090065801.png
180 KB, 750x899
>>24475835
This good to see another redditor here
>>
Fuck weights you need hardcore aerobic exercise.

I run 40 miles a week and it does seem to control the dep / anx
>>
File: 1447094564669.gif (846 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1447094564669.gif
846 KB, 500x281
>>24475835
>implying you can't do both
>implying a healthy body is of no benefit to mental acuity
>>
If you don't lift then how can you expect to ever lift the feels?
>>
I tried doing a body weight thing and I pushed it too hard so now my legs hurt
>>
>>24475835
Unless you've got a PhD and are actually employed at a university, you're not doing shit intellectually
>>
>>24474421
>ripped from working out every 2nd/3rd day
>can do 10 pull ups and 30 push ups in one set
>periodically do 5 mile runs
>mfw I'm still a lonely depressed asperlord
>>
>>24475954
>I run 40 miles a week
Enjoy your significantly reduced lifespan
>>
>>24475835
Doing both turns you into an ubermensch. You will see the others beneath you.
>>
>>24475849
It's preferred to do every other day when lifting but for bodyweight exercises like these every day is fine unless you get sore. If your sore in a muscle give it a break, don't try to work through the soreness or you can hurt yourself.
>>
Working out has the potential to make you more confidant, but can also make you even more insecure.

Source: 2 years of working out and still no gf

I do feel a hell of a lot better though, and I'm sexxy.
>>
what do I do instead of squats

I am probably going to have bad knees when I get super old and don't really want to speed up the process.
>>
Skinny robot here. If i start working out tomorrow, and keep to it with a good routine and diet: How long will it be before I have a hot body?
>>
>>24477310
If you get to the point where you can do 30+ pushups in one set and 10+ chinups in one set and sustain those numbers for a few weeks you will have a decent ottermode body that girls will like. If you want to be an actual hunk you will have to go to the gym and lift weights and eat a lot.

>>24477291
It's a common misconception that squats hurt your knees. What really hurts your knees is running on the pavement. Squats actually save your knees by building up the muscles that help the knees do their work. You may hear your knees popping and straining for the first few days/weeks of squats but fear not, that will go away and eventually your knees will feel better than they ever have.

If you have severe knee damage I suppose you could do hanging leg raises. Hang from a pull up bar and lift your legs up in alternation.
>>
>be me
>flabby, low self esteem
>start lifting
>get in shape, look good
>getting attention off qts
>whenever i talk to a girl she realises what an autistic sperg i am and loses interest
>keep lifting anyway
>lifting is now the only thing i enjoy

It hasn't helped my confidence, other men don't mess with me anymore but i'll always be an autistic shut in no matter how /fit/ i get
>>
>>24477630
This is true. Exercising won't magically improve your social skills. But as you point out it does provide a minimal baseline where people at least are impressed by your appearance and interested in what you have to say. It's up to you to say something interesting.
>>
Fuck off , Ive been working out for almost 3 years and it increased my insecurity and anxiety.
BRB dreamer bulk
BRB feeling small when ending a cut
BRB always feeling small, ashamed of my progress, bigorexia, body dysmorphia etc
>>
>>24474421
>Reminder that exercise is the key to overcoming depression and anxiety. Anyone can do it and you don't even have to leave the house.
Bullshit.

I have been exercising daily ( rotate cardio / weight ) except for weekends. The only time I feel better is when I am actively exercising, but once your runner's high ends you crash back hard into depression. Exercise helps with confidence but once you realize that your face is shit regardless of how good your body looks it doesn't really matter. I only do it because I like it, I try to meet my physical limits in a form of masochism which relieves the constant mental pain.
>>
>>24475718

>lifting
>effective against depression

Do cardio.
>>
>>24477715

since i've gotten big people have started treating me differently, and not in a good way, it's hard to explain, it's like they think i'm going to be a meat headed, yet charismatic stallion brimming with confidence but are slightly sickened when they find out i'm the quiet, studious, person i've always been
>>
>>24476132

40 miles a week is literally running half an hour a day.
That is a normal amount of exercise people need to get in general.
>>
>>24477787

You might be over thinking it.
You're just an attractive version of the self you've always been.
>>
>>24477715

Do cardio, and stop being an insecure homo, you self obsessed muscle junkie.
>>
>>24474421
Exercise does cure depression, but most robots aren't actually depressed, they are bored and/or scared. Exercise is more uninteresting shit for them with the addition of physical pain.

There isn't a quick fix for that. They need coaches and therapists to replace decades of self destructive development and have a small desire to change. Robots who complain all day without a single effort into getting better legitimately don't care to, they just got used to complaining and that is their lifestyle, for better or worse that is who they are.
>>
File: 1392950159384.jpg (207 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1392950159384.jpg
207 KB, 500x500
>>24474421
>thinking that lifting will take away years of rejection and loneliness

kek
>>
>>24478090

No, but it will make you not such a little bitch.
>>
but my shoulder is kinda messed up and crackles so I don't wanna go to the gym and do any upper body exercises again
>>
>>24475718
But you can concede that when you do all what you can to be active( exercise, education) and to eliminate all drains of energy, like addictions of any kinds. With all that you manage your depression much better than if you were inactive and surrendered to addictions which in the end do not make you feel better, only numbed.

>>24477630
Befriend a girl with the sole purpose of being friends, maybe you'll learn something along the way and become less of a sperg.
The sperginess people most of the time bemoan here is mostly due to lack of proper and frequent social interaction.
>>
File: 1398788807941.jpg (40 KB, 300x381) Image search: [Google]
1398788807941.jpg
40 KB, 300x381
>>24474421
I wish I could do this, but I just have no motivation to do anything.
>>
File: swole.png (59 KB, 500x319) Image search: [Google]
swole.png
59 KB, 500x319
This is good advice. I realized about 6 months ago that I have no excuse not to be exercising with all of the free time I have.
I'm probably in the best shape of my life now, even though I'm still not in great shape.
I've just been doing simple things like pushups, situps and curls with a dumbbell, and I've seen noticeable improvement even though I still feel like I'm probably below average.
When I started I had to use a 9 pound weight, now I use a 15 pound one. I could also only do 15 pushups to begin with, and I can do 50 now. I still need to work on my core/abs, they're weaker than everything else.
I feel marginally better about myself and I definitely feel healthier, but I still have very low self-esteem and depressive symptoms. They're not as constant as they used to be, which is nice.
Point being literally any amount of exercise is better than nothing and you WILL see improvement if you do it on a regular basis over a long enough period of time.
>>
>>24477616
How long does it take to go from 15 to 30+pushups
>>
>>24474421
>just be yourself brah
>just be confident and smile and just be happy brah, it is so simple
>just be strong breh

fuck off you fucking retard
>>
>>24479528
What bodytype did you have before starting? Do you look nice now?
>>
>>24477616
>If you get to the point where you can do 30+ pushups in one set and 10+ chinups in one set and sustain those numbers for a few weeks you will have a decent ottermode body that girls will like. If you want to be an actual hunk you will have to go to the gym and lift weights and eat a lot.

i can do that except i am a fatass at 20%+ bf
>>
>>24479657
Right that would definitely hide the abs, but the guy who asked the question says he's skinny so I think he's starting with average bf.

>>24479578
2-3 weeks
>>
>>24479651
5'8" 130 pounds, just skinny.
I haven't taken any progress pictures so I think I look pretty much the same aside from a little more muscle on my arms. I still have no visible definition in my abs at all, and I only weigh maybe 5 pounds more and that sometimes fluctuates back down to 130. I'm definitely stronger and I feel healthier, but it doesn't really show as far as I can tell.
>>
File: This.jpg (76 KB, 736x627) Image search: [Google]
This.jpg
76 KB, 736x627
Recently started something akin to OPs regime, and it's going well.
130 lbs 5'7
>>
>>24479583
I didn't say that because none of those things are true. Exercising won't fix all of your problems but it absolutely will fix a lot of them and give you a good baseline to work on the others.

Fact: A reasonably strong, fit person is 90% of the time happier than a skeletor or a fatty. I'm not making any other claim aside from that.
>>
>>24479888
socrates never said that
>>
>>24480813
How do you know? Were you there?
>>
Reminder that exercise is the key to everything is nothing more than a meme.
>>
>>24480813
true, it was einstein
>>
>>24480105
When squating, how deep should one go? Is it ok for the feet to lift from the floor? Can you do 12 reps when squatting.
I've googled but found no answers.
>>
>>24481093
Typically, till your calves meet the back of your thighs, but don't lock in

Idk what I'm talking about
>>
I've been really depressed lately. It's skateboard night at the local skatepark and I think I might just go. $8 ain't shit compared to feeling like shit.
>>
>>24481093
You want to "break the plane"--that is, your thigh should be below 90 degrees with your knee. If you're doing bodyweight squats, you can simply go as low as you can since there's no risk of hurting yourself.

If you want to be an expert, read this: http://startingstrength.com/articles/squat_rippetoe.pdf

The squat's focus is actually the butt, not the legs. Keep that in mind.
>>
>>24481093
And sorry I didn't address this, no, do not lift your feet off the floor. Keep them flat on the ground. Also remember to keep a neutral back throughout. You can assist this by putting your hands behind your head. All the motion is in your "posterior chain"--your butt, hamstring, the general hip area. That powers the exercise.
>>
>>24476050
He's talking about going on a christianity subreddit and telling them God doesn't exist.
>>
>>24476050
>Unless you're a kike communist, you're not doing shit intellectually
>>
>>24481498
>it's movie night at the local theater
>>
>>24481054
It was ur mom
>>
>>24474457
6'2, 270lb fatty here. Just did this stuff. And although my thighs, chest, and lower back are fucking screaming, I do feel pretty good. I'll probably keep going, I'm sick of being weak. Is everyday okay?
>>
File: Armistice-9.jpg (179 KB, 1000x785) Image search: [Google]
Armistice-9.jpg
179 KB, 1000x785
>>24483868
>I do feel pretty good. I'll probably keep going, I'm sick of being weak. Is everyday okay?

Absolutely. Only take a break if your body is legitimately sore/aching and you feel like it might cause you injury. Be very careful to not use this an excuse. It's very, very easy to allow yourself excuses like this, especially when just starting out. Don't skip days needlessly and add more life regrets on top of the pile. It's the same idea behind calling into work - you WILL feel much better if you just do it instead of sitting there all day feeling worthless because you skipped out.

Being saddled with guilt is terrible, and no one is harder on you than yourself.

Keep it up, anon.
>>
File: 1370229736156.jpg (135 KB, 1336x348) Image search: [Google]
1370229736156.jpg
135 KB, 1336x348
Tear away at the very fabric that holds you together.
>>
File: 1444563845178.png (91 KB, 1082x469) Image search: [Google]
1444563845178.png
91 KB, 1082x469
Reach heights reserved only for the elite.
>>
>>24483868
Well done bro. And yes the other guy is right, though most people are way more sore their first time working out after extended sedentary behavior, so you might want to take a day's break. Just remember that whatever objective you set for yourself, try to meet it. If you set the goal of exercising again on Wednesday, it can just make you feel worse if you don't do it.

If it comes to tomorrow/the day after and you try some reps but are too sore, do some jumping jacks. These won't build too much strength but they'll at the least get your blood moving and keep a positive association in your mind with exercising. Good luck
>>
Are there really people who cant do push ups? I can do like 50 straight.
>>
If your arms are sore as fuck even after like 2 days of rest do you still do the workout?
>>
>>24484781
OP here. A year ago when I started stuff like this I could barely do a proper form pushup. I had to start with girl pushups and work up. There are probably some obese anons here who struggle to even do some girl pushups. Everyone has a starting point.

Btw for those reading this thread: keep in mind FORM is the #1 thing in exercise. Quantity doesn't mean shit if the exercise isn't done properly. Not accusing this anon specifically, but there are lots of bozos out there who brag about doing lots of pushups when in reality they're bobbing up and down and barely working their muscles at all. A few notes on form:

Pushups:
--Your arms should bend to below 90 degrees. Preferably your chest should physically touch the ground and you should literally push yourself off the ground from a resting position.
--The upper body should form a continuous plane from the crown of the head to the butt. This should remain totally straight throughout the exercise. A common way to cheat is to raise the shoulders/chest first and then use your core to lift your lower back. This is not proper. Instead use your chest and arm muscles (specifically the triceps) to push your entire straight back off the ground at once.

Planks:
--the main point is to keep your spine straight throughout and parallel with the ground. Don't stick your butt in the air. Don't bend around a lot. Stay stock still. Focus on tightening the ab muscles. You should feel the ab area burning intensely mid way through and should persist through this burning as long as possible. Do this with a watch below you. I recommend closing your eyes for as long as possible and focusing on a song/trying to get yourself out of your body. Imagine your spirit floating above your body watching the plank happening.

Squats:
>The back should be neutral, the spine essentially straight (though a truly neutral spine has some curvature).
>You must bend below 90 degrees. "ass to grass" is ideal for bodyweight
>Feet flat on the floor
>>
>>24484897
If you attempt to do the exercise and fail then try to work some other muscles. If your truly sore you can do "inverse" exercises. For pushup simply lower yourself down really slowly and then return to the start without actually doing the pushup. This also helps for starting chinups.
>>
>>24474421
I do all of that. Including an upwards of 30 ran miles a week. I still feel like something's broken in my mind, but I always feel better off doing some workout.
I wish more people here were concerned with actual health than gains tho.
>>
>>24485186
Definitely many of us here have deeper underlying issues that exercising won't resolve entirely. But it certainly can't hurt and will make facing those issues easier.
>>
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/08/05/the-prisoner-workout/
>>
File: 1447903754503.jpg (207 KB, 762x1078) Image search: [Google]
1447903754503.jpg
207 KB, 762x1078
>>24474421

Good thread

Posting some infographshits
>>
>Reminder that exercise is the key to overcoming depression and anxiety
Partially true. A good work out routine, 300 ml of beer, one cigarette and one cup of coffee on a daily basis are the key to overcoming depression and anxiety.
>>
>>24484644
this is the truth

original robot-sucking text fuck you
>>
File: roosticus.png (453 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
roosticus.png
453 KB, 800x534
>>24474421
Honestly I can't fathom that there are people who never exercise. When I'm sick or something and can't go for a run or rock climb, or bike, I just feel like shit. When I'm unable to exercise everything just hurts, like I've been in a cramped car ride for 10 hours.
Movement is freedom and brings me joy in both a physical and psychological sense. For me it just doesn't feel like something I want to do for my health, movement and exercise is part of my life. I can't be happy without it.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.