[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your opinion on nihilism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7
What is your opinion on nihilism?
>>
File: aborted_fetus_in_hell_doom_2.jpg (429 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
aborted_fetus_in_hell_doom_2.jpg
429 KB, 1440x900
>>24470190
Too edgy for me
>>
It does make more sense than any other beliefs.

Hedonistic-Nihilism is the way to go to get the most out of life.
>>
>>24470190
I've said this once and I'll say it again.

Thinking about this stuff is like being given an Apple, and trying to find a label on it. Just eat and enjoy, friend.
>>
File: 1418221271577.jpg (89 KB, 526x588) Image search: [Google]
1418221271577.jpg
89 KB, 526x588
With what meaning?

I do think that
>life has no meaning
>"choosing my own meaning" is just as meaningless since it's just the consequence of patterns in my brain which would lead me to get "passionate" about something completely irrelevant and spend my time focusing on it to forget about imminent death
>noone has a purpose
>everybody's going to die
>and there is absolutely nothing after except putrefaction

Still, I used to derive pleasure from the very little things in life or even from the mere conscience that I existed. For some reason I don't anymore, and it makes me mad.
>>
>>24470243
I disagree, hedonistic-nihilsm-laziness is a deadly shitty combo trifecta
>>
not worth it. I prefer getting spiritually indulged by positive thinking and emotional support. at least that makes me feel better unlike faggot crap like nihilism or worse atheism because they lead you straight into an emotional dead-end and kill your hopes.
>>
>>24470243
Hedonistic nihilism is irrational as fuck.
>>
>>24470291
but its also comfy as fuck
or is it ?
>>
>>24470243
You can't do Hedonism nor Nihilism all the way, it's biologically impossible for pure nihilism in a human and hedonism isn't shit compared to a meaningful life.

Might as well not half-ass something and pick a real purpose. Learn.
>>
Nihilism is honestly pretty great. I've never been happier since I realized I've no one to impress.
>>
>>24470190
It comes with being intelligent and a wicked sense of humor.
>>
>>24470243
Sounds like the life for me. Just doing what I want for me and not caring about anything else. I'm not saying I want to be a selfish jerk though.

>>24470291
How?
>>
>ctrl-f absurdism
>No results

Disgraceful.
>>
>>24470306
How can I have a meaningful life if I believe that life has no meaning?
>>
>>24470273
>>24470291
>>24470306
It's just living life for nothing but your own pleasure. Works for me.

>Might as well not half-ass something and pick a real purpose. Learn.

I don't think you can 'pick' a purpose. If I had a purpose or something I believe that would be fantastic, but I don't so I'll just enjoy the ride.

>a meaningful life.

Again I don't think you can just decide to have a meaningful life, with the way I see things I can't see meaning in life.
>>
File: dopamine.jpg (4 KB, 301x167) Image search: [Google]
dopamine.jpg
4 KB, 301x167
Anybody here tried not trying to think about any of this and climbing out of their bedroom? There's not much room for depressing existentialism when you're enjoying life.
>>
>>24470280
yep. that's pretty much the point. ignorance is bliss, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
>>
>>24470351
If you exist as a tiny speck floating in all of the blackness, what IS the meaning? Why do you live? Why does anything live?
>>
>>24470374
You can enjoy life and be a nihilist. That's what Hedonistic-Nihilism is.
>>
>>24470324
>>24470361
I'll make an assertation about life, this doesn't have to be true for you, but considering you are here, it may welll be:
Pain always outweights pleasure.

Why should you not kill yourself if pleasure is your highest agency?
>>
>>24470280
>I prefer getting spiritually indulged by positive thinking and emotional support.
>faggot crap like nihilism

Mate I don't think you can say you enjoy getting 'spiritually indulged by positive thinking and emotional support' then called anything else 'faggot crap'. That first sentence of your post is the gayest thing I've read since browsing /britfeel/.
>>
>>24470361
Meaning is a part of growth, and while it's circular of me to say, but growth is a pretty damn good meaning. If not to just expire knowing you did something, you can expire knowing that others may have a better time expiring because of the things you did.

We can't even prove Nihilism logically, why would you intentionally go for the less favorable option with just as little evidence? Unless only to console yourself for not being meaningful?
>>
>>24470413
Who cares? If I'm without meaning, I might as well do what the fuck I want.
>>
>>24470393
I believe that everything that has ever happened in the universe has only happened by chance. All by chance. No meaning to it. The only thing you can do is enjoy yourself as best as you can, right?

>>24470413
To quote a certain The Smiths' lyric.

I think about Life And I think about Death
And neither one particularly appeals to me
>>
>>24470413
>Why should you not kill yourself if pleasure is your highest agency?

Because killing myself would make everyone around me feel bad and I wouldn't be able to fap and get drunk anymore.
>>
>>24470458
>We can't even prove Nihilism logically, why would you intentionally go for the less favorable option with just as little evidence?

There's no evidence that anything has any meaning, so therefore I think it makes sense to assume nothing has any meaning, until proven otherwise.
>>
File: 1445800388667.png (108 KB, 526x437) Image search: [Google]
1445800388667.png
108 KB, 526x437
>>24470413
>Pain always outweights pleasure.
It implies pain and pleasure are on the same axis with one being negative and the other positive, so that they compensate each other.
But as the emos who cut themselves know very well, it's often better to feel pain than to feel nothing, because it is an experience, a feeling, which in itself is amazing compared to non-existence. All feelings are inherently positive, the difference is that our brains for evolutionary reasons assigned to some of those an instinct of repulsion, so that we avoid what causes them. In this sense, pain is only a problem if it becomes too much to bear, but it's not a problem that pain exists or even that it outweighs pleasure.
>>
>>24470458
Well, there's a difference between physical pain and mental pain.
>>
>>24470462
Entropy is fun to learn about, I'll admit, but if the state of the universe is to dissociate indefinitely and be chaotic and random, how come biological systems exist?

Surely the culmination and complexity of DNA and genetic evolution is proof that chaos isn't a ruling force in our universe.
>>
The big picture is irrelevant to the human life. It's pessimistic; an excuse of ideology for people who don't take responsibility of their own being. It's negativity on top of negativity
>>
>>24470450
you don't think this you don't think that. all I see is some angry fedora. get fucked. :3
>>
>>24470522
>gets called out on his raging homosexually while trying to project it on others
>spergs out on me and calls me a fedora

Gg
>>
>>24470489
There's plenty more evidence that life has meaning though. If not theologically then biologically. You can't deny that community, affection, reproduction, and death are all things wired into our genetic code that all put substantial meaning into our existence to preserve our existence.

Also dat Dopamine spike when being fulfilled as a human doe.
>>
File: 02898.png (152 KB, 462x360) Image search: [Google]
02898.png
152 KB, 462x360
>nihilism
>having opinions
>>
a legitimate philosophy bastardized by edgy teens
>>
>>24470558
All of that is subjective.
>>
>>24470515
You lost me there, sorry.

Mental pain is just as curable as physical pain. I'm not going to say it's easy, but I can tell you the answer is simple. Actually. Live.

Persist, move on, fuck a girl, smoke a blunt, get a job. I'm not telling you that you need to find got to find relief, but relief isn't to be found on a Japanese Image Board. I can tell you that with pure honesty.
>>
It's true, but get over it and start thinking of life as would an artist.
>>
>>24470589
Oh please. You can't turn around on your own wiring and say it isn't real. That this is all just scattered bits of nothingness that somehow came together and formed an image that you get to be the decider if it's real or not. That's incredibly self-centered and ignorant of you to be subjective about.
>>
>>24470640
Why can't I? Why does life have to have purpose?
>>
>>24470190
what even is it?
>>
>>24470558
But we are self-aware. We can do whatever we want. We're not so much like animals.
>>
>>24470269
those are just facts.

Facts that make life kinda miserable
>>
>>24470558
As far as we can tell all of those things exist primarily to aide the continuation and evolution of the species. The only real, viewable, physical meaning to life is to breed and continue the species, this is universal across all life. But what is the purpose of continuing the species? I can't see any meaning other than the instinctual, what could be described as selfish, will to live. In a couple of billion years when the sun explodes everything will be wiped out. It will like we never existed, so for all intents and purposes, we might as well not.

Life is like a video game, fun but pointless.
>>
>>24470755
Exactly! Thanks.
>>
>>24470662
If every creature ever took that exact same notion as you, there there wouldn't BE life. You see what I mean? You can't have 2.5 billion years of the life's mostly-sole purpose of growth to all be refuted by some guy 2.5 billion years down the line because he is thinking he's being logical.

Like, I get you though, life's a huge bitch, and these days especially, I ask myself "What's the point I ought to die." nearly daily. But I know that every. single. organism ever to exist before me had the purpose to grow so that I can exist. So logically you get to pay it back by paying it forward.

It sucks, I know, but a few neurons in your brain are the only things that make you think that life isn't worth it, while the other billion living things inside of you and around you are busy actually fulfilling a purpose.
>>
I didnt know this was a thing. i have thought like this for years now, its nice to see others like me, its almost comforting.
>>
>>24470715
I'm really sorry, but that's incredibly ignorant of you to say. You're saying, "I can notice myself, time to make the future suffer."
>>
>>24470812
It doesn't matter if there was no life. It wouldn't even matter if the universe had never existed.
>>
>>24470812
may i ask, what is the purpose of life? im a different guy, but you keep saying that we exist to keep life going.

so what is the actually point in life?
>>
>>24470755
people don't get kids to 'aide the continuation and evolution of the species'
>>
>>24470836
What do you mean? How am I making the future suffer? Not that it matters, but how?
>>
>>24470836
that not ignorance? it is selfish. But how does reproduction help my existance?
when i die everything i did is literally worth nothing
>>
>>24470854
No. But that is why it is possible for us to have kids.
>>
'it matters that nothing matters'
>>
>>24470836
>>24470868
I'm not going to reproduce personally, I just don't think it appeals to me. But I'm sure it might for other nihilists, the point is we do whatever we want.
>>
>>24470901
im on your side fan, its all good.
But whats the difference between Nihilism and hedonistic Nihilism?
>>
File: stirn.png (41 KB, 1020x740) Image search: [Google]
stirn.png
41 KB, 1020x740
>>24470190

STUPID

LITTLE

KEK
>>
>>24470243
Except just satisfying desires doesn't fulfill people. Just ask the numerous rich people, sports stars, famous actors, etc. who commit suicide.
>>
>>24470755
The fact that you compared life to a video game makes me loss a lot of desire to continue my side of this debate, sadly.

I'll give it another go though.

So, the universe has no traceable beginning, so the existence of an entity behind this all is, logically, a 50/50 chance. Assuming there is no entity or entities behind creation. We arrive at the conclusion that even through entropy, even through stars exploding creating incompatible elements with life and a few compatible ones, and even throughout the more than likely chance that primeval RNA and DNA would be destroyed by outside conditions. We have arrived at life. Here now.

So now at the life we've arrived at, we can assume this is the rarest thing in the universe. Consciousness, the power to perceive, the power to imagine love, desire, hate, fulfill, and grow. Resist Entropy ultimately.

With such an unbelievably rare occurrence, you are choosing to willingly accept that it is, empirically to a third party which doesn't exist, useless. And now after a billion years before you, you are allowed to decide that all of it was worthless and should just be scattered Carbon dust in space.

That is wasteful thinking, you're brain is wired to live so whether you want to be cynical or not about this universe, you are still chained down to the biological imperative.

Those are two good reasons for why life has meaning.
>>
>>24470963
Maybe they committed suicide because they expected to find some meaning in their lives after they became who they are. I don't expect to ever find meaning, and I'm gonna have fun doing drugs and having sex before I kill myself because of old age.
>>
>>24470190
Nihilism like many other philosophical trends are obsolete, because nowadays we have many more value information. So focusing in Nihilism it's not practical theory or thought, Nothing is all, all is nothing. The univers is not casual, so there's a commit, from who or what we don't know at the moment, and even seems like it's more and more complex than an gas explosion...
>>
>>24470520
This is a pretty common misunderstanding.
Entropy will ALWAYS increase inside a CLOSED system. The earth, and hence life is not a closed system, the Sun is emiting huge amounts of energy towards us to drive the processes that allow for life.
If you put the Earth in a box, and made the system closed, photosynthesis would stop, and life would end.
>>
>>24470840
>>24470849
Don't you guys know what it means to have "life"?

It literally is to create more life, resist chaotic Entropy, build, grow. Right now you body is fulfilling it's purpose of living. I'm choosing to spend my life trying to argue a meaning into it when it's right there, it's you. You are the meaning, you can perceive no meaning, but that's just your choice of your conscious mind while your body is still fulfilling it's purpose of life.

I can't sit here and tell y'all that we were put here to do something in particular, just that we're here now, with nothing to do other than do something in particular.
>>
>>24470849
I'm a spiritual guy, but I hold logic above all else, and logic tells me that growth is the imperative of life.
>>
>>24471032
Beautifully said, screen capped
>>
>>24470859
Ever heard the saying, doing nothing is worse than doing harm? Harm at least stirs action, being stagnant is literally the definition of death.
>>
>>24470868
Not just reproduction, nowadays reproduction is more a personal thing to fulfill people. I'm saying growth of yourself does though. Mental growth bodily growth, that's some of the most powerful things in existence with the most rewarding outcomes. There's money and bitches in it if that doesn't satisfy you enough.
>>
>>24471053
ohh it is in the biological view, life was created to keep existing, well more the system of life not he individual.
These views people are saying all depend on the many perspectives one can have of life. They could be looking at it from the personal view, ethical, biological or just the actually physical world.
I enjoy the physical world view more than there others, it has a set logical pattern (or one that could be found), though in that view a human is really no different than a rock
>>
>>24470965
>With such an unbelievably rare occurrence, you are choosing to willingly accept that it is, empirically to a third party which doesn't exist, useless. And now after a billion years before you, you are allowed to decide that all of it was worthless and should just be scattered Carbon dust in space.

Just because life is rare doesn't mean it has meaning. I get your point, life is pretty cool and everything, but it doesn't have purpose or being besides a subjective one should you choose to set it for yourself.

Ultimately nothing really matters at all. That's not me being a negative Nelly and trying to deride the anomaly of life, but until we have evidence that any of this matters in the grand scheme of things, then I don't think we can say that it does.
>>
>>24471099
i honestly wish those things were really valuable to me, they just seem like sacks of meat. Though money does have worth if it is used for something, otherwise it is just electrons or paper.

I really wish i didnt have to fight myself to do things, there are just too many possible paths and it becomes crushing considering they all end with the cease of my existence.
>>
>>24471012
You're implying the universe itself isn't a closed system, and implying that the earth isn't already encased in some shell. The math is there, it takes less energy to destroy something than it does to build it back. Coupled with the universe expanding. It's likely that the universe is, according to entropy, become discorded entirely.
>>
>>24471060
Thank you anon. Means a bunch
>>
y'all need Jesus
>>
>>24471032
So the meaning of life is life?

Well that's a cop out. How does that philosophy differ your lifestyle from the hedonistic-nihilist?

>the meaning of life is life so I am going to live life the fullest and enjoy doing what I please before I die and its all over

as opposed to

>life has no meaning so I am going to live it to the fullest and enjoy doing what I please before I die and its all over
>>
I've been the sole arguer against Nihilism in this thread and I'm getting exhausted. I'm gonna check out soon after a few more replies.

Thank you all for the fun debates and arguments. And have a lovely life all of you, whether you think it's worth a damn or not.
>>
>>24471134
But isn't that the coolest part of life? We now after so many years have built ourselves from tiny particles to be able to create purposes for ourselves outside of biological imperative.

And touche on the thing about evidence. From a logical standpoint on life's rarity, is it really so hard to believe that these pieces were meant to fit together for something? Just because you and some others haven't found it doesn't mean there isn't a purpose at all.

I'm bushed, please don't reply to this, we can call it a stalemate and I'll leave with cheerful thoughts on a smart nihilist anon existing on the other side of the internet from me without a purpose in life. Best of luck, friend.
>>
Does it even make a difference
>>
>>24471199
The difference, personally, is that I enjoy is helping people become better people and growing into a stronger human community. These are things wired in my DNA that I acknowledge and respect the desire to do. I'm not saying life's laid out and is pretty to the eyes. But my intent is to make it that much closer to being that way before I clock out.

Believing you do things out of the lazy satisfaction of nihilism, over doing things with the fire under your ass of having purpose I think makes a world of difference.

I would like to see a world where nihilism rules and everyone ends up hedonistic slobs and don't achieve anything, over the world now where at least 30% of the damned populace see a clear goal to climb to and we have things like health-care and science...

...And enough brain power to contemplate meaning in the first place.

It's been fun chatting but I'm calling it a night. Take care anon, if you don't find a goal, I really hope you at least prove me wrong about nihilists.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.