[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is there a philosophy that basically boils down to "i can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 1437969989728.jpg (121 KB, 500x637) Image search: [Google]
1437969989728.jpg
121 KB, 500x637
is there a philosophy that basically boils down to "i can't understand things objectively, our minds are inherently emotional, so I'm just going to go along for the ride and try to live as happily as I can". Going to stop looking at things so rigidly.
>>
Treat others well, too.
>>
>>24463623

Buddhism I'd think.
>>
>>24463623
just become an egoist tbqh
>>
>>24463623
Well you basically nailed it with Buddhism. However apatheism is probably more up your ally as it is an organized religion.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism
>>
That's effectively Daoism in a nutshell.
>>
>>24463623
Sounds like Taoism.
>>
>>24463700

but im not necessarily apathetic. still care a lot. just a recognition that we cannot be truly logical and objective, and being so wouldn't make us happy anyway, so kind of just approach the world as feeling, irrational human beings and embrace all of lifes chaos
>>
Casual Buddhism and to a certain extent Agnosticism

I mean core Agnosticism is, simply put, admitting "I don't know what the fuck is going on." Nothing more, nothing less. It's only a short jump to go to "I don't know what the fuck is going on, so I'm just going to be nice to people and have a nice life," which what Agnosticism has come to mean for a lot of people.
>>
To the people saying Buddhism; you're wrong.
Buddhism is all about stripping yourself of unnecessary emotions such as desire, jealousy, materialism etc. until you reach a state of harmony described as enlightenment, which is basically where a person just sits around doing little more than existing and thinking they're hot shit because of it (seriously, in ancient China Buddhists were considered lazy freeloaders for a reason).

OP is describing Daoism.
>>
>>24463677
>>24463700
>>24463724
>>24463738
>try to live as happily as I can
Oops, nope.

>>24463790
Closest one to being something OP is looking for, although trying to be nice to people and have a nice life have nothing to do with Agnosticism.
>>
>>24463778
but we can be objective and logical, like a priori knowledge, though you are right, knowing 7 + 5 = 12 doesn't make us happy
>>
>>24463623
Lack of objective truth is a common thread in various Eastern philosophies. On the other hand, I don't think trying to be as happy as you can is a core value in any of them. There's a lot said about going with the flow though.
>>
It's called being a dumb bitch.

It's pretty popular with uneducated women and sluts. Who am I kidding, all women are sluts.:^)
>>
>>24463778

Hedonism
>>
>>24463778
In Apatheism the key word is theism, apathy is felt towards the existence of a deity.
Trying to find a life philosophy dictated my life during my teens and I ended up being between apatheism and agnosticism.

In reality providing a literary name to your life philosophy is pointless, as how you live is more important than how you want to live.

Personally I found Zen Buddhism/meditation great for understanding myself and the universe to a greater degree.
>>
>>24463623
So you want the mind of a woman?
>>
>>24463868
That's all Buddhist technique to get you to understand how silly you're being. It's not what Buddhism is really about.
>>
>>24464116

Idk man I'm taking a Chinese history and culture module now and that's what I'm getting out of it.
Confucianism is the fucking worst though, and Confucius was a pretentious, infantile brat.

Lao Zi on the other hand is a nigga I could cool with. He knew his shit.
>>
>>24464301
I feel buddhism can apply to your already somewhat broken lifestyle. You rebuild with less expectations, less worry, stress I've found more peace my anxiety is almost gone too
>>
>>24464301
The practical purpose of the practice is to remove whatever concepts the person is trying to capture the world with and to frustrate the person's psyche to an intense degree. The masters don't really have anything to teach, nor do they invite anyone to practice the techniques. They'll waste your time and unteach you everything you thought was fundamental but leave you with nothing to stand on. Buddhist practice is acknowledged as entirely unnecessary for Buddhist enlightenment.

The Buddhist texts, which aren't used in the same way between sects, have whatever bits of philosophy remain, and most of the texts are just a long dialogue that just negate a lot of concepts and become more complex in how they do that as you move to the more recent ones.

All of the cool-sounding sets of teachings like the "four noble truths" and the "the noble eightfold path" and the "three marks of existence" are just memory tools because what Buddhism had to offer was always passed on orally in the old days and they were helpful mnemonics. The Buddhist "ethics" found in the teachings aren't really moral statements at all but they're just habits that facilitate your "getting it".

The only things Buddhism really brings to the table are concept-negations, like "you" don't exist, permanence doesn't exist, and meaning doesn't exist. There are some Buddhist sects that try to express those negations in positive language though, such as talking about the "Buddha-nature" or the "Middle Way". Things that Buddhism calls "true" are acknowledged as not being objectively true, but just spiritually helpful. The point of it all is to facilitate enlightenment. Using those negative "truths" supposedly helps you from trapping yourself.

Of course Buddhism isn't one uniform religion and there are important distinctions between sects. All of them have their own way of saying that enlightenment can't be described or conceptualized, and that the word used (varies by sect) is just a place-holder.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.