[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here /disappointed with modern video games/? I know people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
Who here /disappointed with modern video games/?

I know people are probably sick of hearing this but I just have such incredible nostalgia for the games of the late 90s and early 2000s. It felt like every major release was something I was excited about, and they were games that other people were excited about too - Majora's Mask, Final Fantasy X, Metroid Prime, etc. Now every headline-grabbing game is yet another generic open world RPG and/or FPS, and I just don't feel like keeping up with the mainstream gaming community at all. I played 2 hours of Skyrim and it bored me to tears. Fallout 4 is such a normie thing, it's disgusting. I basically only play Nintendo games and weeb shit now. Thank god I have a PS Vita, it has a library of games that are actually fun.

I'm pretty excited about The Last Guardian and Shenmue 3 though, and other people are excited about those too. Gives me some hope.

General video game shitposting I guess.
>>
>>24457816
I know that feel bro. Opening up a Dreamcast on Christmas morning was fucking awesome. Getting a PS4 was like... cool... another console I won't have time to play because of work.
>>
File: 1441142267036s.jpg (14 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1441142267036s.jpg
14 KB, 250x250
>>24457816
hey Skyrim was great
>>
>>24458055
Do you eat shit, normie?
>>
You aren't disappointed with video games, you;re disappointed with the AAA industry growing larger and inevitably pandering to the lowest common denominator. But there are more than just AAA games (you even said so in your post), and even if there weren't, there are still plenty of older games that you haven't played yet.

Admittedly the last two years have been fairly dry. I think the only 2015 games I really enjoyed were Splatoon and Dirt Rally and I can't remember anything notable from 2014. (though I'm sure there was something I liked), but I now that I think about it there are quite a few upcoming games I'm looking forward to. Just Cause 3, Drift Stage, No Man's Sky, Project Diva X, The Last Guardian, Zelda U, Star Fox Zero, Yooka-Laylee, Perfect Stride, probably more I'm not thinking of.
>>
>>24457816
>PS Vita
>library of games that are actually fun

I wish this was the case. I only use PS Vita to play persona ports and danganronpa. It's a shame because I like the screen and the particular console more than 3DS
>>
i was mega autistic about video games until my swag desktop broke
i stopped playing cs 1.6 all day
somehow got interested in reading books
10 years later i have a high-tier pc and only play a few games like osu! and quake
>>
>>24457816

they KEEP TRYING to get feminists/sjw shitheads to buy their games thus alienating the people who CONSISTENTLY buy their shit

then release day comes and feminists and sjw's dont buy the game cause THEY DONT PLAY VIDEO GAMES, then the developer does one of two things

1. says nothing, keeps making the same video games and failing then goes bankrupt

2. lashes out against their former customers about being homophobic, and nearly instantaneously dies thereafter when the customers they just insulted dont buy their shit anymore for some reason
>>
Souls series
>>
>>24459119
I cant think of a single popular game that this has happened for
>>
I'm an old dad so I prefer old games.

For me it's just a generation gap thing. Stuff like Fallout 4 wasn't made with my tastes in mind or whatever.

And yeah I usual play PS Vita the most too. At lot of their games are made with nobudget, but it has the nice side effect of making them seem they were made in the 90's and early 2000's, so they're more fun to me. Plus handhelds are just an easier thing to work with if you're busy.
>>
>>24458967
Persona 4 and the Danganronpa series are definitely the best games on the system, and I think they justify buying a Vita alone, but there are definitely other games on it that are worth playing too. I like the Project Diva games, Monster Monpiece, Senran Kagura, and Hyperdimension Neptunia. Steins;gate recently came out in English for the Vita. Lots of people seem to like Gravity Rush.
>>
>>24459504
Thanks I'll try some of them out
>>
>>24459119
>>24459218
Yeah I would love some examples of this too.

There was that one company that only made walking simulators, then they made a game about you being a housemaid in South America or something and made a whiny blog post when they went out of business. But their customers were always and only SJWs, so it's not the same thing.
>>
Problem is that games are getting more and more demanding (graphics and hdd space). Also developers have little time on their hands due to yearly releases so they just use assets from previous games.
>>
>>24460721

I wish graphics were less of a concern. Somehow. I'd love for the effort that gets put into cloth physics to instead get put into things like AI programming or other gameplay elements.

And I really wish the production schedules weren't so brutal on them. I guess the game does have to be finished at some point, but it seems like everything that comes out was forced out a bit too early. I kind of chalk that up to executive elements not totally understanding game production, though; because they can't really tell between legitimate reasons to delay release and bullshit "I just want more time I don't really need" reasons they're probably way more harsh than they should be, and they don't know they did anything wrong because the sales stay the same.
>>
It's just that AAA got too big, and too dumb. And midle market titles are scarce nowdays, but there's something out there for you. It's just harder to find now.
>>
File: po.jpg (204 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
po.jpg
204 KB, 1920x1080
>>24457816
>he doesn't play Path of Exile
>>
>things were better when i was a dumbshit kid!
>>
File: hoothoot evolves into noctowl!.webm (451 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
hoothoot evolves into noctowl!.webm
451 KB, 480x480
>tfw finally playing Pillars of Eternity DLC
This is NEAT.
>>
>>24459218
Youve never heard of Bioware or EA?

what the fuck are you? a girl who only plays mobile app games or something?
>>
I think videogames are worse except a few quality companies. As of right now, Valve still has good standing so if they EVER made a new game I'd check it out instantly with baited breath.

Blizzard used to be amazing. Free online games dating back to 1996. Games that worked well on all PC's. Games that were updated often (2004-2008 World of Warcraft) with some new content.

2k after the release of System Shock 2 and Bioshock 1, fantastic. Infinite, though gorgeous, just didn't have the atmosphere of fear I appreciated so much. Never felt like there was anything in that game I couldn't handle. Nothing to run from.

I haven't been "wow'd" by any Nintendo games in a long time. Galaxy was the last one, and they re-shilled that title for Galaxy 2 which was pretty much the same game. Then the new super mario brothers shit comes out over and over. Skyward Sword wasn't bad but nothing came out since then has been noteworthy.

Even Metal Gear Solid 5 failed to meet even my minimal expectations. I just can't bring myself to play it anymore. I'm on the 12th fucking mission to yet again infiltrate a base and bring some generic hostage out, to hear about 30 seconds of dialogue about that person from the same guy who's talked to me the whole goddamn game. Next mission? Blow up some stuff. Why? Some rebellion? Who cares. I play metal gear for great gameplay in between an engaging story and unique over-the-top bosses.

I barely spend any time playing games anymore, and I wanted to make games my whole life. The best game I've played this year is some indie shit I was gifted on steam called Fez.
>>
File: 1376188747391.jpg (225 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
1376188747391.jpg
225 KB, 800x533
>mfw my weeb games are still pretty good and getting sequels soon
Thank you, Atlus.
>>
>>24461921
check out Dwarf Fortress

if you arent a graphics whore you will be amazed at the depth of the game
>>
Yes, the only thing I really feel like I'm looking forward too is mountain blade bannerlord at this point.
>>
>>24462145
Also, space station 13 for multiplayer
>>
>>24457816
Yep. I also found Skyrim to be boring as shit as well.
>Tfw Need For Speed Underground 2 and the first NFS Most Wanted is better than the latest NFS game
>Tfw still prefer the first three Silent Hill games over the newer ones
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.