[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your major? Biology grad here. What a mistake.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 400x386
What's your major?

Biology grad here. What a mistake.
>>
I plan on becoming a history major. Want to be a teacher. How fucked am I?
>>
Communications

I don't give a shit, it was the shortest path to graduation.
>>
File: image.jpg (128 KB, 858x1208) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128 KB, 858x1208
Computer science but contemplating it as a minor & switching to physics or EE
>>
Mmmm. I like biology. Of course it's not lucrative but how exactly, OP, did you get fucked by it?
>>
>>24441421
Eh I'm Communications as well, fuck the haters on /r9k/ it's nothing but STEM fags sucking each other off in one big circle jerk.

Do what you enjoy Anon, do what you enjoy.
>>
>>24441373
Computer science
I play hearthstone all day and wonder why I waste my money on school.
>>
>>24441419
If you're okay with teaching wage you'll be fine. Do you want to work for a HS?

>>24441421
Not bad. It's vague enough to find some great jobs if you really sell yourself.
>>
>>24441485
>Do you want to work for a HS?
Yeah, that's my plan.
>>
>>24441373
BA in Political Science. Graduated in 2011.

Im 28, live with my parents, and have never had a full time job or made more than $13/hour.

>tfw khhv too

Just kill me senpai.
>>
>>24441515
I just got a job in a clinical research setting which is decent I guess and does have the chance to move up with experience. But holy fuck. I feel like I'm trapped. A BSc in biology is signing yourself up for dead end jobs unless you are incredibly lucky or continue your education (and even that won't help you sometimes).
>>
>>24441499
Yeah, you'll be fine.

Also to the other anon considering switching from CS to physics or EE. Engineering is a huge bitch (I have several friends in it) and physics will land you in a position similar to mine. Stay in CS, my friends earning the most (60k+ starting) were all CS majors. Just be sure to intern and network while you're still in school.
>>
Econ. It felt like a completely generic major that didn't actually teach me any specific skills. Working some shitty data entry position now, with no idea what I'd like to actually be doing instead.
>>
Computer Science- can't believe I bought into the STEM meme. Wish I had studied humanities or business.
>>
>>24441440
Sorry forgot to rely to this. Basically anything that requires a BSc in biology also requires years of experience which new graduates aren't going to have, or certifications which they won't have either. We're not taught any real applicable skills and so we are useless. Entry level jobs that are being fought over pay $11-13/hr and most are temp jobs, no benefits, with no opportunity for growth. It feels like a scam and I feel stupid for not looking into this sooner or else I would have done CS or even tried to do computational biology if I could.
>>
>>24441515

What was your plan when you started ?
>>
>>24441703
I'd do anything to be in your position. Don't give up CS it is very stable. Maybe minor in business so you can broaden your scope for when you are looking for jobs
>>
Any physics pham in here? astro here.
>>
>>24441437
>physics

work your testicles off on one of the most difficult majors for a shot at going back to school for another four years to get a shot and being kucked into being a physics professor
>>
All I want to major in is music. But with the shit I want to do, I may as well not waste my money.
>>
>>24441499
Why on earth would you want to deal with a bunch of screaming monkeys?

You realize you'll spend more time trying to shut them up than actually talking about history, right?
>>
Math. Kill me please.
>>
>>24441703
have you graduated?
>>
>>24441663
Should've done quantitative or econmet senpai
>>
>>24441631
>robots
>networking
>>
>>24441373
I major in being a loser
>>
>>24441703
This 100% from the math side. I wish I had studied business.
>>
>>24441807
Not if anon is an AP history teacher.
>>
File: 744828main_pia14946-full_full.jpg (440 KB, 1009x1009) Image search: [Google]
744828main_pia14946-full_full.jpg
440 KB, 1009x1009
phd in theoretical physics

i just talk about black holes all day, pretty fun
>>
>>24441373
MAJOR PAIN

I'M FAILING BECAUSE I'M A PUSSY FAGGOT
>>
>>24441819

Not yet. I'm in third year. I just lost my "passion" for it. This just isn't fun anymore wish I had studied political science which would have probably lead me to become a normie or tried to go into business where the people make lots of money.
>>
>>24441843
Doesn't necessarily mean going out on a limb and putting your name out there. Everyone knows someone. If you have even one friend it can get you somewhere.
>>
>>24441866
A lot of AP history teachers teach regular classes too. Jobs in nice high schools are harder to find too, he'll probably end up in a "diverse" neighborhood at the beginning.
>>
>>24441890
A robot probably wouldn't be friends with the kind of people who could get you somewhere.
>>
>>24441930
Actually I thought students going to get their teaching certification have to be a student teacher at a school for experience? It just depends on wherever they get in. That school usually hires them in the end.
>>
computer science at a shitty state school like every other 18 year old with no hobbies except the internet
fucki m going to kill myself
>>
>>24441959
Good point. But you never know, your friend could be the next Bill Gates.
>>
>>24441711
why not minor in something else? i'm going in for bio/chem forensics and they offer job shadowing after your second year right off the bat as part of most schools.
>>
i dont know. i like biology. but i've been getting into programming/networking more lately. thinking about just being a systems engineer/IT wizard.
>>
>>24441965
wow its like i posted this
>>
>>24441745
Didnt have one. Liked studying political science but didn't like the university mileu
>>
>>24441800
Do you know anything about music theory already? What do you want to study specifically?
>>
>>24441373
Not all is lost, anon.
Specialize in microbiology and try to get to MEOR. You'll probably go to China or Oman, but the pay will be great.
>>
>>24441419
Most states you need a B.Ed so don't just get a B.A in history.
>>
math + CS double major. don't regret it yet
>>
>>24441711
>Entry level jobs

Such as?

> with no opportunity for growth

Please I dont care if you tear me up for this but is paleontology out of the question? Will I be accused of playing god, etc? Because ... that's my shit.
>>
File: smhtbhfam.jpg (15 KB, 229x218) Image search: [Google]
smhtbhfam.jpg
15 KB, 229x218
Biology/Business double major but It's only to take pre-dental classes to go for dental school. I'll know if I made it into the business school early next year.

Part of me wants to get a minor in comp sci but idk familia
>>
>>24442023
Because I'm already graduated and school made me want to kill myself. They didn't offer any internship/co-op assistance for STEM degrees at my university. I work for a CRO though now so I am okay. Good luck with forensics, that was one thing I looked into. You should probably focus on toxicology if you can at your school.

>>24442027
It's an interesting subject with next to no at the bachelor's level. Systems engineering is a good path to take

>>24442090
I can't go back to school
>>
>>24442151
Lab tech. That's pretty much the only jobs. Also everyone is fighting for the few there are, and they pay next to nothing. Paleontology would be fun but there are no jobs
>>
I fucking hate school, /pol/. I cant fucking take it anymore. I have no motivation and everything seems like a job. I have absolutely zero money for education too, i'm already in debt from just doing generals.

What should I do? should I just try to get a job at the post office and live a comfortable apartment life for the rest of my life?
>>
>>24442243
Drop out, find an entry level job (phlebotomy is good if you can find someone to train you) and work your way up. I hate school too.
>>
>degree is in exercise biology (basically more rigorous kinesiology)
>had always planned to go to physical therapy school
>graduate college, still a kissless friendless virgin
>why the fuck should i bother going through another 3-4 years of school and insane levels of stress and nearly 100k in debt when i will be as big of a loser coming out of it as i would be if i didnt go through it anyway and will likely kill myself soon regardless
>working a shit tier $15/hr job that's suppose to just be a job that will be a good bridge thing before PT school
>live with parents
>take subway to work every day, seeing people who all surely make more money than me, especially people my age, and just get depressed

I just have no idea what to do. i dont even know what my backup plan is when i dont go to PT school
>>
Criminal Justice
>>
>>24442318
$15/hr is not bad for an entry level biology job. In fact it's what I'll be making too. I know the feel though since all the other people I know (different majors) are making considerably more than me with their new jobs. Different majors just pay differently. I'm hoping my position will lead to a higher paying role.. I mean you have to crawl before you can walk...
>>
>administration of justice major
>prison guard jobs hiring like crazy in commiefornia

If I don't die this is gonna be great.
>>
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 500x667
Fine art

Fuck me right ?
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.