[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's Saturday night. What are your plans?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: 1447455916161.jpg (17 KB, 255x192) Image search: [Google]
1447455916161.jpg
17 KB, 255x192
It's Saturday night. What are your plans?
>>
watching seinfeld all night
>>
Drink alone
try to forget i went on a drunken racist rant and wept in front of my dad

Im trying to make this the last time i drink alone.
>>
Laying in bed with my qt psychotic gf. Currently shit posting while watching her sleep
>>
File: kyosai_crow3.jpg (241 KB, 736x960) Image search: [Google]
kyosai_crow3.jpg
241 KB, 736x960
>>24436423
Listening to a Borodin opera then finishing the first season of Spice and Wolf.

After I get myself sufficiently pumped, I'm going to start my conference paper proposal on East Asian "gothic" in the 18th century.
>>
Play final fantasy 1 on my old PlayStation.
>>
>>24436664
do tell
>>
Laying here alone. Again.
I'm going through a rut guys I don't know what to do. I'm starting to lose interest in life in general and things that used to make me happy don't make me happy anymore. Going to the gym is the only thing that makes me feel alive, and i've gotten moderately /fit/ but it still hasn't changed the fact that I don't understand how to talk to people. I'm sick of being alone and I feel like meeting a nice girl would cure me of these symptoms but every time I try I just fuck up.

How do I escape this?
>>
>>24436873
You dont and a girl wont help either. You have to find things that make you happy. Thats really all there is to it. Now idk how your gonna find those things but its either that or donate your organs to someone who ends em. if you know that I mean
>>
>>24436760
>I'm going to start my conference paper proposal on East Asian "gothic" in the 18th century.

Ill have a latte please
>>
>>24437008
Sorry anon, but I have a well-paying job that doesn't even require me to interact with people. The only retail job I've ever done was a stint at a quilt shop, which I could handle because I just cut and arranged fat quarters in the back.
>>
I bought tickets to a talk but my bus never came so now I'm playing video games and eating too much.
>>
>>24436423
i worked from 8 am to 4 pm and im gonna be doing the same thing tomorrow. my plans are to basically sit on my ass and browse the 8 hours of internet i missed today and then go to bed early for tomorrow.
>>
>>24437111
>well-paying job

What is it
>>
>>24437210
I grade standardized tests from home. Like the GRE, SAT, AP ones, TOEFL, etc. I've posted about how it's the perfect robot job before, but you do need at least a Bachelors for most.
>>
>>24437241
How much u make
>>
>>24437337
It's $40k/year, $19/hr. Probably not reasonable to go for it if you're in a high cost of living city, but it's almost twice the median in my area.
>>
>>24436818
What do you want to know anon
>>
>>24437425
Good on you

Howd you get it
>>
File: just fucked.jpg (34 KB, 306x230) Image search: [Google]
just fucked.jpg
34 KB, 306x230
>tfw can't relate to people
>feel uncomfortable and in the way even with my own family
>no friends
>25 years old
>tfw no blackpill rap
>>
>>24437542
Applying for it on their website, anon. Not really sure the selection criteria that led to me specifically getting it, since there wasn't an interview at any point. It's a little mysterious.
>>
Id planned to go to this punk show with my friend but she bailed so i guess im just gonna drink a lot, read and perhaps play some vidya. Past tgat no real plans. Shitpost once im too fucked up to read or play vidya that or netflix.
>>
>>24437659

Can you tell the website or at least what this type of business is called so i can google and get results from sites that offer it?
>>
>got invited to coworkers party AND my old neighbors party
>big weekend for me, I never get invited to shit
>feeling anxious and depressed
>won't know anyone at either
>probably won't go as usual
>playing through bloodborne again instead

Kind of sucks 2bh f4m but idk if I can fix myself

I feel like throwing up right now honestly just thinking about it

Chest constricting

Too much social anxiety
>>
>>24436760
Examples of said gothic?
>>
>>24438112
But I'm so anxious bloodborne will probably give me nightmares or some shit tbqh family. Idk why coz I know that game like the back of my hand.

Can't watch creepy shit anymore at all. Used to love horror movies but now I'm scared of everything.
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 500x651) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 500x651
>>24438145
Pic related?

Feed robit
>>
>>24438207
I mean not rly I know takata Yamamoto was born in the 60s or some shit

Why captcha so into cactuses lately??
>>
Writing out my 2 weeks for my job
not working on a group project because they ditched me to do the shittiest part then didn't meet me at the library
eating orange chicken
Charging my JO crystal
That's about it
>>
File: Strange_Tales_big.jpg (69 KB, 296x475) Image search: [Google]
Strange_Tales_big.jpg
69 KB, 296x475
>>24438226
That wasn't me. I'm using Pu Songling and Akinari Ueda.

>>24438058
It's just Educational Testing Service for those tests, but Pearson apparently is similar.
>>
>>24438410
did you read snow country by yasunari kawabata or whatever?

can you explain why that book won a nobel prize?? i really didnt get it
>>
>>24438410

Thanks and wish you well on the paper/conference
>>
>>24438410
hey whats this???

>Experience and Skills
>Minimum of three years teaching experience required (English teachers are strongly encouraged to apply)
>Must be currently teaching (or have taught) high school or college level-courses that require writing
>>
>>24438682
What else have you read and enjoyed? Japanese literature isn't interesting to everyone. Even less so translated. Just a look at the obscurity of Kawabata's Nobel speech and how opaque that was. It's not something to "get" in terms of plot or moral. "Evocative" is one of the most-used adjectives in describing his works, and it's the angle to best view him at.

If you want a little background that might let you know what went into that novel, Kawabata was originally part of an avant-garde and only later started to go back to "Japaneseness" in his novels, and a lot of Snow Country particularly is rumination on aesthetics (he revised it and worked on it for a long time).

If you want to basic textbook answer, it's a novel written to evoke the feeling of transience, the mono no aware sentiment. You get that from the opening line of the train coming out of the tunnel, to the ending with the Milky Way flowing down inside of him.
>>
>>24438207
>>24436760
This is actually some really cool shit.
>>
>>24438879
I'm not sure what you need explained. You obviously need teaching experience for that test. Adjunct courses taught count, TA-ed courses probably won't.
>>
>>24436423
Watching office all night and getting drunk
>>
>>24436462
Fuck dude. I'm here drinking along after my first DUI last week. My world is crumbling down.,
>>
>>24436873
Same feel brobot
>>
>>24438883
Japanese wise I really liked the sound of waves by yukio mishima. haven't read anything else besides murakami but idk if that will count lol but I do like his stuff.

otherwise idk I don't even read that much anymore just shitpost, I liked tender is the night by f scott fitzgerald, I like nabokov, my fav book is probably the master and margerita by bulgakov. last few things i read and liked were crime and punishment, uhhh shit idk I haven't finished a book in a while. i keep picking them up and putting them down. i read laughter in the dark by nabokov recently but i hated that.

shameful tbqh...

so yeah japanese wise not a lot. I was reading a biography of nasaoka shiki but I didn't finish it.
>>
How 'bout you lonely robots come into the 4chan Winter Ball and have some company? We got a good thing going on in the Dubtrack chat so far... Check /qa/ for the Winter Ball threads.

Our music ballroom:
http://derpy.me/P9nVt

If you're bored, why not, you know? We don't have a lot of inter-boards events these days.
>>
>>24438948
I'm not the guy who originally asked you, but I was hoping a slacker like me could get that job with no teaching experience. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
>>
Im at a party right now, one of my friends in our friend circle is moving away. Lots of drinks and cheer in a small apt
>>
I'm going to bed in a bit. I worked 15 hours straight and I have another double to wake up to.
>>
>>24439010
sorry i mean masaoka shiki, typo
>>
>>24438883
Same guy still, did you, personally, like snow country? I picked up another of his works, can't remember the title right now and have been thinking of reading that. If I dislike it at least they're sort of short so idk might go through with it.
>>
>>24439035
>>24436423
bumping for winter ball.
>>
>>24439036
>I was hoping a slacker like me could get it

Those days are over unfortunately my friend. You can't waltz in with no experience with the promise of busting your ass. It's not about working harder anymore. It's about working smart.
>>
>>24439010
You'll probably really love Kobo Abe if you like both Bulgakov and Murakami.

I feel like I didn't really explain the mono no aware bit in Kawabata, and now I'm thinking about it. For those two lines particularly, think of it like this: have you ever sat way, way out in the country and looked up at the clearly visible stars? I've felt myself fall into them, Kawabata's flows into him, but it's all to evoke that feeling. I guess that's still no good explanation. Seeing the train come out of a long tunnel into the snow country--can't you feel how fresh that feels, how built-up it is (the long, dark tunnel through a mountain) despite being the opening line? It's like taking in cold air without having known you were holding your breath. I dunno, I'm not really good about writing about literature--all I can do it feel it, which is why Kawabata is one of my favorite authors ever.

>>24439036
Graduate school works as a replacement for teaching for some of them (I don't teach), but it doesn't look like it for the ones that are up right now. You can always check back in a few months to see if the less stringent ones are up. Be warned the hiring process takes like six months even after they take you on though, so you don't want to rely on it.

>>24439123
Yeah, the novella aspect appeals too. I love one-sitting reads. But yes, I love all his works except The Lake really, The Master of Go is my favorite though.
>>
File: BcH4YSpIQAEdCA1.jpg (49 KB, 599x527) Image search: [Google]
BcH4YSpIQAEdCA1.jpg
49 KB, 599x527
>>24439208
Well I'm for real writing this shit down so I'll look up Abe and the master of go. Thats not the kawabata book I bought but I don't think it was The Lake either.

what you are saying does appeal to me, re: snow country, but idk... everything seemed kind of shallow as I was reading it. Maybe I just need to read it again idk. I do think about it some times so it must of had some effect on me.

So thanks for the... idk. Conversation on Japanese lit.

pic only vaguely vaguely related
>>
>>24439208
I figure you'd be a good person to ask, so: What did you think of Kokoro by Soseki? I'd imagine you've read it already. I just finished it, and I'm not sure how I feel about it.
>>
Currently drinking at some shitty dive bar down the road from my house.
>>
Laying in bed with gf after spending 2 days straight alternating between drinking and puking. But I got to meet videogamedunkey, so that was neat at least.
>>
>>24436423
Jerk off and fall asleep
>>
File: 1409510324405.png (65 KB, 506x608) Image search: [Google]
1409510324405.png
65 KB, 506x608
I actually went to a party and it was horrible

The chads instantly detected my anxiousness and moved in for the kill
>>
File: fgbdhzh.jpg (173 KB, 927x655) Image search: [Google]
fgbdhzh.jpg
173 KB, 927x655
>>24439035
Bumping for the Winter Ball, hoho. If you don't want the musics, how about watching scary movies or going on IRC? Inter-board events don't happen every day.

>Scary movies and tv stream is
http://instasync.com/r/YellowZippo

>Dubtrack Room
http://derpy.me/P9nVt

>IRC Room
#winterball on Rizon

This is the last time I'll bump for the Winter Ball. Bumping too much does the opposite of what you want so this will be the last time. Hope your weekends are going great!
>>
>>24439364
I was about to go to bed, but Kokoro is what got me into literature "proper". "not sure how I feel" is a pretty apt response. There's plenty of vagueries, even down to the title--was it about the heart, or the soul, or the intention? Before that I read plenty of one-off sci-fi, fantasy, etc. things that looked cool. But reading Kokoro led me to pick literature as what I want to do with the rest of my life. So I wouldn't be able to fully convey what I thought of it, because most of it is very personal, less to do with it than me.

I guess I could probably pin it down to the statement that it was the novel that made me self-aware, even if that sounds silly and overblown. I don't think I /actually/ knew that other people were really there and could be connected to, or really had depth, or that silences really mattered, before I read it.
>>
>>24439684
Ah, that makes sense. I guess I have to think about the novel some more; I still don't have a conclusive feeling regarding it.

While I have you, do you have any recs for Japanese literature specifically about loneliness? I've finished most of Mishima's work, and I just started "No Longer Human" by Osamu Dazai. After that, I'm reading Norweigan Wood, and then The Face of Another (by Abe).
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2000x2800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2000x2800
>>24439684
>>24439864
I suppose you went to bed. Well, if anyone cares about an answer to my question of recommendations, I found pic related, which contains some Japanese lit.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.