[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /perfectsteak/ here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 13
File: r9ksteak1.png (690 KB, 833x556) Image search: [Google]
r9ksteak1.png
690 KB, 833x556
Ok, gonna try this thread again now that I have an actual picture of the steak.

If you look close you can see on the butcher paper where I wrote /r9k/

It's a bomb ass Canadian AAA Angus strip loin, they're on sale at Fortinos right now.

Anyone have any suggestion of how to prepare/cook it? Anyone want to follow me through this journey from start to finish?

I have a few different methods of cooking available. Propane grill/bbq, George Foreman style electric grill, regular electric stove/oven, cast iron skillet.

I also have quite a lot of different ingredients like coarse sea salt, fresh pepper in a pepper cracker, montreal steak spice etc...
>>
Well done with ketchup on the side for dipping.
>>
Also have some "restaurant style" onion rings I'll be enjoying with it.
>>
put some spice and some extra pepper on there and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours, then take it out and let it get down to room temp before putting it on a hot hot grill or skillet. leave uncovered and cook to desired doneness, probably 5-6 min. if it's hot enough. I put butter on the steak and flip it 4 times to let the butter melt on each side but the butter might just burn if you do it in a skillet.

my 2 cents
>>
>>24427663
OK. I'm going to to put some Montreal streak spice and fresh cracked pepper on it while it sits on the fridge.

I usually put a dollop of butter on it while its resting after cooking.
>>
>>24427415
Blue rare, anything else is for faggots and children. Just let it touch the grill just for a second so that it has a nice coat, but let it be raw on the inside. That's how steak should be eaten :^)
>>
I'm surprised you have no idea how to prepare a steak.

Rub it with olive oil, then cover it with kosher salt and pepper. Don't use sea salt.

Let it sit for two hours in your fridge covered with plastic wrap on a plate, grill it over propane. "Taste the meat, not the heat." Hank Hill style.

It's really that simple. Do not put any other spices on it, you will lose the taste of the meat if you do.
>>
Let it get to room temp, pat dry, salt & pepper. Heat pan til smoking then add olive oil & sear the steak 30sec each side, then turn every minute. Add crushed garlic & butter, continue cooking to desired state remembering to sear the sides & render down the fat.
>>
>>24427791
Oh yeah, the last step is of course.. to put butter on it after grilling, let it rest for a few minutes under tin foil.
>>
>>24427791
Yeah don't use anything but salt & pepper on the steak, if you want spicy bullshit blacken some fish
>>
>>24427791
Also sear the steak on the grill, hopefully you have a way to check the internal temp because there's not going to be an easy way to know when to take it off unless you have that.

I assume you don't grill very often but the internal temp should be 140ish for medium rare to give you an idea.
>>
>>24427415
oldfag here, perfect steak is easy

salt and pepper both sides, leave in fridge (don't let it heat to roomtemp, you want center to stay cold so outside sears without overcooking interior)

grill method: put steak on grill 2 min, flip and cook 2 min, flip and cook 2 min, flip and cook 2 min. total time on grill is 8 minutes, 4 min/side for perfect medium-rare to medium steak. rest 5 min

oven: same concept as grill but stovetop 2 min, flip 2 min, into oven 2 min, flip 2 min, rest 5 min

dip pieces in melted butter if desired, butter can be salted to taste
>>
>>24427910
nigger you put olive oil on it before adding salt and pepper. coming to 4chan for a long time has nothing to do with making steak.
>>
>>24427821
good call. or if you want to remove the "continue cooking to desired state" step, you can do an improvised low-temp / sous-vide cook to medium rare by maintaining a water bath at 55C, in your sink or a cooler. Monitor the temp and add hot water as it cools. Put the steak in a ziploc bag, lower into water while open, then seal so the water pressure forces out the air, and give it about an hour. Then all you have to do is sear it as hot and quick as possible (don't forget the strip), season, and eat.
>>
File: r9ksteak2.png (962 KB, 883x646) Image search: [Google]
r9ksteak2.png
962 KB, 883x646
well fuck, now I'm starting to regret what I've done so far. I put some salt free montreal steak spice and black pepper on it.

Not much though, and considering the thickness of the steak, I do not think it will over power it.
>>
>>24427821
this is a terrible call, do not put garlic on a steak.
>>
>>24427928
>coming to 4chan for a long time has nothing to do with making steak.
I think he meant that he's pretty old by our standards, like 40-50 years old.
>>
>>24427960
the steak is already ruined you fucking idiot. just cook it and have your shitty steak now.

You shouldn't add any spices to a steak beside salt and pepper. also.. why is it in a bowl? how poor are you? use a plate, stop bending the steak.
>>
>>24427774
Honestly I know you're just spouting a dank meme but I would really like to try a blue rare steak. I don't think I want to attempt it with this steak though I'm too hungry to fuck it up.
>>
>>24428003
Sounds like a dumb thing to do
The only reason people cook food in the first place is to minimize the chance of getting some disease. Eating a raw stake is the perfect way to get a tapeworm
>>
>>24427998
Part of me thinks you're right, but I always do my steak naked. I want to try something else, that's kind of why I came here for advice in the first place.

This spice is very mild though, I assure you it won't be overpowering.

As for the bowl, my fridge is fucking packed, a plate would take up useful real estate I just don't have.
>>
>>24428061
It will be overpowering, it's too late OP. You fucked up.
>>
>>24427791
I can grill a pretty good steak desu, I'm just looking to see what other people do and perhaps try something new myself.
>>
>>24428109
Ok you got to me a bit. I'm going to take a pair of tweezers and remove some of it, I may have overdone it a bit.
>>
>>24428141
use olive oil to wash it off.
>>
>Clean it with water.
>put a little pepper and salt on each side
>melt butter in a pan
>turn up your stove on high after
>both sides for 12 seconds and the side for 3
That should work.
>>
File: 1406129913396[1].png (34 KB, 957x558) Image search: [Google]
1406129913396[1].png
34 KB, 957x558
>>24427960
You knew damn well that you made this thread with the intention of b8ing people. Especially co/ck/munchers.

Well played, OP.
>>
>All these faggots saying to flip the steak more than once
>>
>>24428276
butter will burn, not good for high temp frying
>>24427880
just push it with your finger you can tell by the consistency
>>
try this meme cooking method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4xl7XJM08

post pics
>>
File: r9ksteak3.png (809 KB, 901x546) Image search: [Google]
r9ksteak3.png
809 KB, 901x546
>>24428166
>>24428276

I used the serrated edges of a steak knife to gently scrape it off. Worked pretty good, I purposely left a little bit on.
>>24428366
What do you mean?
>>
>>24428503
uhhh... idk man. I watched this.

First of all, the sear-sear-oven with a cast iron skillet if what I've been doing lately.

This oven-sear-sear seems interesting, and their steak looks amazing, but it's not something I would try without a thermometer.
>>
>>24427791
I've always worked under the assumption that you shouldn't add the salt until just before you cook it lest you dry it out.

I usually do the gordon ramsay thing of sprinkler salt on a plate and then press the steak into it just before cooking.
>>
Straw poll!
http://strawpoll.me/6064955
>>
Best Tip: Let the steak rest until close to room temperature (1-2 hours). Seriously. It makes the world of difference and I refuse to cook a steak if I don't have time to let it get to room temp first.

I make a perfect bomb ass steak. Here's what I do:

1. Season steak with coarse salt and pepper, let steak rest until room temp
2. Preheat cast iron skillet for about 10 mins on max heat until it starts smoking
3. Add olive oil
4. Put steak into pan still on max heat for 2-3 mins depending on thickness
5. Flip once, add buttter to pan, continuously bast top of steak with butter/oil, cook on other side for 2-3 mins as well
6. About 30 seconds before its done, add minced garlic (to avoid burning it) and continue basting.
7. Turn steak on its side and render the fat on its side for about 30-60 secs
8. Put steak onto plate and drizzle juice from pan, let rest for another 10 mins before cutting

It looks perfectly seared, medium rare on the inside, and is pretty damn tender.
>>
>>24428903
>buying into the letting your steak get cold meme
>>
>>24428903
This sounds good and is pretty similar to what I usually do. Whats up with the garlic though I've never heard of that? I do have some I could mince up.

How many cloves?
>>
>>24428815
Serious question to the people voting Well Done.

Why?

Are you just memeing on an anonymous poll?

Do you actually enjoy the taste?
>>
marinate and grill it? idk, I'm not a steak guy. if you had bought some poultry or a rack of ribs or something I'd be able to help you better
>>
>>24428980
10 mins isn't going to make your steak cold, family. Just cover it or something.

>>24429019
I just add garlic because I like garlic. Around 3-4 cloves. Sometimes I cheat a bit and just use a tablespoon or two of diced garlic from a jar.
>>
>>24428980
> cutting into a steak before its had a chance to rest.

All that juice just fucking leaking out onto your plate.

What kinda steak you want senpai?
>>
>>24427530
Nailed it, thread over.
>>
>>24429019
Not who you were replying to, but use a clove to half of a clove. The garlic really brings out the flavor like a muhfuckah.
>>
>>24429223
>>24429280

Fair enough I'll give it a shot, I do like garlic
>>
File: 040DA95F.jpg (145 KB, 902x1200) Image search: [Google]
040DA95F.jpg
145 KB, 902x1200
>>24427415
Don't add any ingredients to it or cover it in any weird spice shits.

Do this.
Get a big pot.
Fill it with water.
Boil the steak.

You can thank me later.
>>
File: r9ksteak4.png (440 KB, 462x642) Image search: [Google]
r9ksteak4.png
440 KB, 462x642
Got the garlic minced, skillet preparing for battle.
>>
>>24429324
I boil my ribs before i grill them.

Come at me
>>
>>24427415
I'd cut some of that fat off from the side tbqh. Its not as if you're going to eat it any way. Other than that pre-heat your stove and put it there to fry on a heated pan so you get the surfaces sealed. Then fry into whatever condition you like, generally medium is a good point for everything so 2-3 minutes per side depending a bit on how warm your pan is and how thick that thing actually is. Then take the steak to cool off a bit and do a sauce with the leftovers on the pan by adding some cream to it and maybe flavoring it a bit with salt and pepper. Also remember to salt and pepper the side you've already done and then maybe after salting it give it a few seconds of warmth on the pan for each side.
>>
>>24429945
I do too but that triggers /ck/ something fierce
>>
>>24430087
Im canadian, its been my experience it triggers Americans in general.

So do you propane grill? I've noticed most of us boilers are. Its hard to gas grill ribs from raw without fucking shit up.

If i had an actual real charcoal bbq i wouldn't boil.
>>
>>24430036
It's probably just placebo but I think that leaving the fat on and cooking with it on help get some of it travelling into the meat and adds some taste.

The butcher actually trimmed off some of the fat before he wrapped it up for me and I was a little booty bothered.

Ok, so I've taken the steak out of the fridge, pressed some coarse sea salt into it, and now I'm letting it come to room temperature.

Probably... an hour I guess.
>>
>>24430196
No I use charcoal but if I don't want to go outside I broil the ribs after boiling.
>>
>>24430360
I dunno, I usually by my sirloins as a big slab which I myself cut to pieces. During that I usually cut off big excesses of fat and other material on top of it. Not too much though so I don't break the slabs structure and make it too hard to cut into pieces.
>>
>>24428049
Not if you sear the outside properly.
>>
>>24429076
Is there any acceptable answer to that question?
>>
>>24430690
Just an honest answer. I don't know if anyone had honestly told me they enjoy well done steak, or if they're just being smartasses.
>>
>>24427791
why not sea salt? i've used that before and it tastes fine
>>
>>24428049
It is highly unlikely to get it from bovine meat though. Raw fish would be a completely different matter especially if it was fresh or bracken water fish.
>>
>>24430763
I always use sea salt too and it's great.
>>
>>24430980
It works, only problem I've seen that the grain size might be too big. Personally I use regular salt.
>>
>>24430686

We were talking about blue rare steak, how would searing the outside prevent any worms and shit from being in the middle?

I'm mostly just playing devils advocate here as I think you're fine eating beef rare if it's a good cut, but I'm curious to see what the reasoning is here.
>>
>>24427415
Do you have a cast iron pan? That's really the key.
>>
>>24431192
I do indeed! I posted a pic of it earlier, it's out and almost ready to go
>>
>>24430763
>>24430980

Kosher salt works better. Sea salt definitely works but it won't cook into the meat quite as well. As long as you don't use table salt.
>>
>>24431240
I see that now, didn't look closely enough.

I get mine hot [depends on your stove -> but medium high-ish], then put steak on for 2 minutes a side. That's rare-to-medium rare.

I don't do all the fuckery this video does, but it's not a terrible intro. Buttered steak turns out really good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmC9SmCBUj4
>>
File: 1327774080016.jpg (8 KB, 340x508) Image search: [Google]
1327774080016.jpg
8 KB, 340x508
>Kosher Salt
>>
>>24431413

>The term "kosher salt" comes from its use in making meats kosher by removing surface blood, not from its being made in accordance with the guidelines for kosher foods as written in the Torah, as nearly all salt is kosher, including ordinary table salt.

go back to your containment board.
>>
>>24431336
fuuu I wish I had enough butter on hand to do that. I've got enough to put on a little knob after it's cooked, let it melt in while the meat is resting.
>>
>>24431575
That's just what the Jews want you to believe, goy.
>>
File: 1429585170574.png (14 KB, 183x232) Image search: [Google]
1429585170574.png
14 KB, 183x232
>>24431720
bad goy kosher salt very good yes yes buy it goyim
>>
ran out and bought some butter. gonna chop up some chives and mix it in with the butter oh i am laffin
>>
OP, if you want a 10/10 steak. Put Kosher salt on both sides of the steak, when you think you've put enough, put another little bit. Press that shit in. When you're done with that put some cracked black pepper on both sides. Get your cast iron skillet hot and put some olive oil in there and sear the meat. Next, add some minced garlic to the pan with 3 good hunks of butter. When the butter melts and mixes with the steak juices and the garlic, remove the pan from the heat and spoon the butter over the steak a few times and put it back to the heat. Continue spooning the butter onto the steak for another minute or so (until it's cooked how you like it, I suggest medium rare). Then remove it from the pan and put it on a cutting board. LET THAT SUNNAVABITCH REST FOR AT LEAST # MINUTES before you even think about cutting into it. I would put it on a nice plate and call it a day.
>>
>Seal the steak by dipping it in a fryer for literally a second or two
>put steak in a sealable container with spices and wine
>Seal container and microwave for 2 minutes

literally tastes like it was grilled and is rare
>>
>>24432372
The skillet is heating up now and yeah what you said is pretty much what's going to happen.
>>
>>24432694
HOLY FUCKING SHIT HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO COOK A STEAK?
>>
>>24432268
>tfw when I encouraged a robot to buy butter and suggested eggman make a whitepill video in the same week
Truly, the Lord Himself must have created this board as an opportunity for us to express our better angels.
>>
File: MEAT.gif (2 MB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
MEAT.gif
2 MB, 500x280
>>24432763
you don't fucking get it
>>
File: r9ksteak5.png (319 KB, 498x449) Image search: [Google]
r9ksteak5.png
319 KB, 498x449
its resting now will post pic of inside soon.
>>
File: r9ksteak6.png (342 KB, 439x519) Image search: [Google]
r9ksteak6.png
342 KB, 439x519
mmmmmmmmm BLOXBLOX fucking robot THE PIC IS 100% OP AND YOU MUTE ME?
>>
Looking good OP
>>
>>24433687
did it turned out how you wanted and how done would you say that is? also is it yummy
>>
>>24433285
>>24433687
needs ketsup
>>
please consider dumping caramelized onions and chunks of bleu cheese all over it next time
>>
>>24433840
To be honest I wish it was a little more done.

I like medium-rare all through, this steak to me was medium-rare with some rare in it.

It was still delicious though, the butter drowning method some of the other anons suggested made it just so amazing. I added the minced garlic and some chopped chives into the butter before I added it in, and then just kept basting the steak with it.

Honestly probably one of the better steaks I've had in my life, like I said, if I could go back in time I would give it another 30 seconds per side. (or let it sit at room temp longer, that's probably what fucked me)
>>
>>24433929
not sure if trolling but I've done blue cheese with chopped chives before and it was actually really good.
>>
>>24434011
Not trolling at all.
Also mushrooms and deglaze the pan with white wine for a dank flame at the end.
>>
>>24427530
>Not medium well master race
wew lad
>>
All above are children ...

God Teir:
Buy quality thick cut rib steak with bone in. Boneless meat is for elderly and infirm
Make your own rub to preference. If no Paprika then you are idiot and read no further
Fire up smoker ... 195 degf
20 min on smoke
While on smoke ...
Fire up gas grill to full fire
Getcho grill marks going
Rest 8 min
Serve with delicious baked potatoe and steamed beet greens
Meal tours you into full alpha
>>
>>24433687
Good job OP!
>how many robots does it take to cook a steak
>>
File: r9ksteak7.png (489 KB, 465x682) Image search: [Google]
r9ksteak7.png
489 KB, 465x682
bonus action shot

why is google so interested in cacti lately..
>>
>>24433983
You did good. There is always a little room for improvement. AND you could make this on date [if you are OK with leaving this board forever, reee].
>>
>>24434173
too hot.
>>
File: Burnsy Sanders.jpg (94 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
Burnsy Sanders.jpg
94 KB, 500x628
>>24433851
Hmmm
Whatever could you mean
>>
>>24434230
Its on the side burner of my gas grill, don't have a hell of a lot of control over the heat.

I won't use my cast iron on my glass top stove because I already cracked it once and they won't fix it for free again.
>>
>>24434114
Paprika seems like it might overpower the steak
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.