[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are so many people borderline alcoholic? meaning they need
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: alcohol11.jpg (29 KB, 400x357) Image search: [Google]
alcohol11.jpg
29 KB, 400x357
Why are so many people borderline alcoholic?

meaning they need to get drunk every weekend just to function and going a week sober is considered an achievement to them?
>>
Never not drinking for a week doesn't mean you're a borderline alcoholic. I drink around 5 beers most nights and I don't consider myself an alcoholic.
>>
File: TomMorello_AdamJones.jpg (88 KB, 793x548) Image search: [Google]
TomMorello_AdamJones.jpg
88 KB, 793x548
not just weekends cuz
>>
Because life is stressful and its a socially acceptable release.
>>
because people like drugs and alcohol is the one where they don't feel like drug addicts.
>>
I watched this little video about new information about how addiction works. Maybe it can provide some insight? https://youtu.be/ao8L-0nSYzg
>>
because college itself is boring and you are in a very social environment. alcohol helps socially and gives you a lot of energy to spend your weekends entertaining yourself.

most people just drink enough to where it is still healthy. you'll see when you get older.
>>
Life sucks.

Alcohol helps me forget it even if for just a moment.
>>
>>24424443
This is probably the most correct answer desu
>>
>>24424570
>you'll see when you get older.
I already have my PhD so I'm assuming I'm older than you.

Just curious because it seems there's a certain type of person that *needs* to be drunk each weekend but sees no problem with the addiction.

I hate hearing that "life is stressful" bullshit, plenty of these people aren't doing it because they need the stress relief.
>>
Most people aren't, it's only weak minded people that use it as a coping mechanism.
>>
>>24424509
I remember that rat experiment, well reading about it anyways when I was wondering the same thing as OP.

OP, the reason these people aren't alcoholics is because they're social. They have bonds with people. Plus, if they only drink when being in a social situation, the likelihood of addiction is very small. The same goes for harder, party drugs like MDMA and cocaine as well as hallucinogens.

That's why you here all these people talking about how MDMA, LSD, weed and the likes aren't addictive, but by physiological and psychological means, they should be (pretty much every drug releases massive amounts of dopamine or serotonin, often both, hence why they make us feel good, i.e. "high", and also what leads to addiction. The brain starts to like having all this dopamine and serotonin around because it feels good and thus, you seek it out unless you have other means, i.e. friends, of getting dopamine levels up). It's because these drugs are often done in a social situation and many of these people have strong, social bonds with their peers.

But if you start taking drugs as an escape from loneliness, depression, or when you're just feeling down, then you have a high risk of becoming addicted to whatever it is you choose as your outlet. And unfortunately, that's what happens with a lot of people. Then, to add insult to injury and much like the video said, when someone becomes addicted to a controlled substance, we start treating them like garbage instead of human beings.
>>
>>24424932
Beautifully said anon. It's a shame others have negative stigmas against addicts. Society doesn't seem to care
>>
>>24424382
it used to be that if you drank water you got sick and died, so you had to mix alcohol to sanitize it

we are evolutionary programmed to consume alcohol
>>
>>24424382
We talking about statistics? Idk.
>>
>>24425071

But then why does alcohol make us feel so shitty? After having a few beers it bloats and gives you headaches, and a few more and you wake up feeling like shit. Sure doesn't seem like our bodies like alcohol
>>
>>24425119
excess is never good
>>
I drink about every two days, lately not so much, every other week I guess not counting meals.
>>
>>24424509

Good video. Upboated ;^)
>>
>>24424409
You're an alcoholic by definition.
>>
>>24425119
Sounds like you're just part native or something.
I'm a medshit and even I drink a bottle of liquor a week + 12 beers.
>>
>>24425377
Yeah but the definition is stupid. France's official guidelines are less than 7 drinks a day and you're good. The U.S. is two.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.