[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we cure depression, bros?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: 8a4.jpg (30 KB, 316x202) Image search: [Google]
8a4.jpg
30 KB, 316x202
How do we cure depression, bros?
>>
File: REA1446421293499.jpg (26 KB, 247x250) Image search: [Google]
REA1446421293499.jpg
26 KB, 247x250
Death can cure anything
>>
Surrounding yourself with people you care about and who care about you. Finding productive things to do with your day. Living up to your potential instead of refreshing the front page for hours everyday.

This board is a precursor to depression. It's all fun and games until you're pissing in bottles and REEEEEing under your breath. You think it won't happen to you but remember, you're a product of your environment
>>
File: Seven-Deadly-Sins.jpg (32 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
Seven-Deadly-Sins.jpg
32 KB, 400x267
>>24413401
figure out what is causing your depression

#1 cause is a virus. kill the virus and your depression is gone
#2 cause is caffeine poisoning. stay away from that shit, and do whatever you have to to sweat it out of your system
>>
You don't. It's a fake illness people pretend to have so they can excuse themselves being lazy cunts. Just blame all your problems on the phantom "depression" NOW IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT!
>>
>>24413741
>depression doesn't exist meme

yeah, you're right people do use depression as an excuse to be a lazy faggot but saying it doesn't exist is just ignorant
>>
see a trained psychologist, or maybe psychiatrist?
stick with treatment and meds?
>>
You are depressed because you cannot reconcile who you are with what this world wants you to be. You do not even know who you are. The world will tell you to seek answers in the bottle of a pill bottle or with a therapist counting the minutes until the hour is up but you need someone who understands you and has been where you were. I was just like you, I fantasized about dying in a hail of bullets trying to rescue someone, I felt so numb I cut and burned my body in a desperate attempt to feel something, anything. I wanted to die but couldn't leave my family as the house where the boy killed himself. I drank heavily and did all manner of drugs but was unfulfilled. I pissed in bottles in my room too miserable and afraid to even leave.
>>
>>24413817
Then someone told me something that made me question my reality. I began to become aware that something was very wrong in this world. Things didn't add up and I could see a control system running this world and purposely doping the population's mind up with garbage. I kept pulling at it, questioning it. I wanted to be free so badly from whatever it was I couldn't quite put my finger on. I prayed to God but felt as if I was talking on a phone and someone was there but purposely not speaking. I was raised not knowing my father but could pick my own daughter up and feel nothing for her. I was dead inside.
>>
>>24413401

Exercise.

Lifting doesn't count.
>>
>>24413697
caffeine poisoning?
>>
>>24413401
define your world very specifically
define how literally everything in your life makes you feel
eventually you stop giving a shit, because you made the decision as to what things are
it's all about reconciliation.

an easy way to start. as yourself ' why am I the way I am ' and go from there. smoke some weed, go through your thoughts, your childhood, figure yourself out. eventually you realize the easiest way to do that is to figure out other people so you ask them about themselves.

then it's all just feedback.
>>
>>24413401
We can't we're stuck in this hell forever
>>
>>24413922
I had a good heart. That's what people would tell me but my actions did not reflect who I was. I wanted a purpose so badly. I knew there was something more. I became relentless in my pursuit of the truth of whatever it was that was holding these invisible chains on me. I found it. The truth is more terrifying then you can currently imagine. There is a control system in this world. Everything is inverted for the sole purpose of confusing you to the point you don't know what's what. It seems strange that in a country spawned from revolution everyone is content with simply saying "haha those liars in washington and those crooks on wall street" doesn't it? What if I told you the whole world is under the effects of a grand deception to rob you of your birthright and cut you off from your power source? We are created beings crafted in the image of God to create, build, love. All of this is designed to make you feel worthless and desecrate you. There is only one way to be saved from this and that is through accepting Jesus Christ as your lord and savior. I didn't deserve to be brought back from the dead but here I am, and it is more amazing than you can imagine. Search your heart.
>>
>>24413401
medically speaking: drugs, therapy and exercise.
>>
>>24413401
It depends. On lots of things.
But time will answer your question.
>>
>>24413401
Kill a bunch of people, it will ease the pain of being such a loser
>>
>>24414111
Just to let you know OP that is not pasta, I typed that out on a crappy little phone for you. Why would someone do that? How do you know that I know something? How did you know things in your life that you had no way of knowing? Where did everyone's mental fog come from and where did attention spans go?
>>
talking to family and friends

engaging in hobbies and activities.

stop worrying about trying to get with 8/10's out of your league just improve yourself and work your way up from there. Its the same reason no one wants to be with a fatty or ugly.
>>
>>24414276
This.

Ghgjd
>>
File: m_2644850_hQuW8QcUAFbS[1].jpg (51 KB, 580x545) Image search: [Google]
m_2644850_hQuW8QcUAFbS[1].jpg
51 KB, 580x545
>>24413401
get a cute puppy
>>
>>24413401
Psychiatrist here. See >>24414218.

Regular exercise is extremely important. It is one of the best things you can possibly do not only for your mental health but for your overall physical health as well.

Therapy is also very important. Most people with depression have many negative thought patterns. A good therapist can help you unlearn these negative habits that are contributing to your depression. This is a very broad subject and something that needs to be tailored to each person's specific situation so it's pointless to give specific advice online. Find a good therapist.

Drugs are the least important thing on the list. Drugs are not a cure. They're there to put your depression "on hold", so to speak, so that you can start to establish the kind of positive life habits - like regular exercise - that can be extremely difficult if not impossible to manage while in the depths of depression.

Unfortunately, many people get the drugs and stop there. I have patients who have been on various antidepressants for decades and will probably never make that step to the kind of positive habits that would greatly lessen if not completely cure their depression.

Depression is almost always your brain reacting to what you're doing to it. It doesn't happen in a vacuum. "Curing" depression is identifying the things that are causing it and fixing them. The depression will go away on its own.
>>
i think death will be the only cure. if im alive, im deprssed by default.
>>
>>24413935
>Lifting doesn't count.

Lifting is superior to heart straining, collagen crushing, mineral depleting high impact aerobicise. Lifting works out your lymph nodes and develops form at the same time as strengthening tissue.
>>
>>24414823

The only thing you need for the majority of health benefits from exercise is 30 minutes a day of activity that raises your heart rate and keeps it elevated for the duration. Resistance training has a lot of benefits but a few seconds of lifting separated by a few minutes of resting is not good exercise.

If you fell for the meme and are actually refusing to do any cardio then you're only fucking yourself over in the long run.
>>
The world needs a little bit more chaos.
>>
>>24414973
>and keeps it elevated for the duration

Will this cardio meme ever die? You don't lift for a few seconds, you lift for 30 to 45 minutes and during that time your pulse is going to be above 120 most of the time except instead of thumping like a faggot on a treadmill which is akin to a hamster aimlessly rotating inside a wheel you actually MOVE your entire body the way nature intended and flush out your artieries, veins and lymph nodes just as you would with cardio.
>>
File: Man Made Of Pills.jpg (54 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
Man Made Of Pills.jpg
54 KB, 650x650
http://llttf.com/

Do this. It looks dumb but randomized control trials have shown it to be as effective as therapist lead therapy. Give it a try robots, it really works.
>>
>>24415097

I should add though that since the hamster uses four limbs, unlike the human he's actually closer to a full body workout.
>>
I'm hoping to try and find a psychologist. Maybe talk and work things out. Problem is they'll be expensive as fuck and I want to try and find a male psychologist in the hopes that they'll be better to talk to and relate with instead of female ones. Also there's like fuck all out there for male psychs.
>>
lift and go jogging 5 days a week feels nice senpai
>>
>>24413401
Not really a cure but playing my guitar makes me feel like life has a point. I'm a NEET so I sort of just practice all day and it's quite satisfying going to bed knowing that you're better at it than when you woke up. It doesn't "cure" my depression by any means but it at least gives me something to hold on to, if you know what I mean.
>>
Just the thread for me. I'm just going to unload slightly.

I have a history (sort of) with depression. When I was a bit younger years, about 13 years old, I was diagnosed with clinical depression. At the time I denied it and thought it was reasonably to be so angsty and so on. I got over that eventually and was really happy and normal, doing well in school, working a job, doing activities, having fun. Now I'm 18 and in my final year of high school and feeling kind of down. For the past 3 months I'm constantly thinking about suicide but I'm not really sure if I want to do it or not. When I'm having a conversation with friends even, I can't help but imagine just getting up, walking out, and killing myself. At night it gets worse but its still shitty during the day. My grades are going down slightly but its no big concern at the moment. I'm losing interest in activities that I know I like to do. I love doing them and thinking about the actual activity is fun but I just don't feel up to going out. I have way less energy than normal and my sleep is absolutely fucked. If I don't dope myself up on melatonin, it takes me 2 hours or more to fall asleep (and yes, even after not taking melatonin for quite a while). My sleep without melatonin just doesn't refresh me at all. My sheets are all cocked around and basically across the room and I feel like I slept only a tenth of the time.

I'm starting to get worried that this is going to affect my school (especially with diplomas) and my hobbies.

The problem is I don't know why I'm feeling blue other than general futility of life and all that other angsty shit. I try my best to pump myself up and force myself to be normally energetic and happy but it just doesn't last.
>>
>>24413790

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II96QkZaz1E
>>
>>24415097

You know perfectly well that you're taking 1-2 minute rests between sets.

Cardio is not a meme, you dip. This is decades of medical research, literally hundreds of studies on the effects of regular exercise. They all agree that the most important factor is maintaining an elevated heart rate for the duration. It's by far the most simple gauge of whether or not you're getting effective exercise. Your ancestors - tens of thousands of years of them - evolved to be long distance runners and cardio remains the best way to keep your body healthy.

Like I said, resistance training has its benefits and there's certainly no reason why everyone shouldn't add some resistance training to their workout routine but stop being such a fucking retard, please. You're not an expert just because you read the /fit/ sticky and bought into the "cardio kills gains" meme.
>>
>>24415224

Melatonin supplements are a terrible thing to take unless you're using them very rarely. Any kind of long term use fucks with your body's ability to produce it naturally.

If you want to improve your sleep then the best place to start is by exposing yourself to at least 20 minutes of sunlight early in the day and avoiding staring at bright screens for a couple hours before bed. Obviously avoid anything with caffeine. Combine this with regular exercise and you should see improvement pretty quickly if these aren't things you're doing already.
>>
File: andy.jpg (133 KB, 615x818) Image search: [Google]
andy.jpg
133 KB, 615x818
http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=107

mindful meditation helps
>>
File: the tree.png (197 KB, 1871x571) Image search: [Google]
the tree.png
197 KB, 1871x571
>>24414748
This post is utter bullshit
>>
>>24415558

You're going to have to do a lot better than, "That post is wrong because I said so. Oh and here's a picture of spongebob."
>>
>>24413401
physical exercise has the best stats for treating it. you're probably just bored.
>>
>>24413963
>caffeine poisoning?

good point. caffeine is a poison, that how it works, your body responds to being poisoned by giving you an adrenaline rush to fight off the poison.
if you drink caffeine every day, it puts a tremendous strain on your adrenal system
where you feel like you have no energy
adrenaline regulates the oxygenation of muscles, all of them including your heart muscles.
in other words it's nasty stuff

if you aren't getting enough of the right nutrient building blocks for your body to produce adrenaline, then caffeine could very well kill you

some people confuse this with tolerance to caffeine and think they need more to get the desired effect. substance abuse pain and simple

you should learn about (everything) you put in your body, and not just take someone's word for it that it's ok. especially the word of a drug dealer who's trying to sell you those drugs, or the doctors on his payroll.
>>
i fried my brain with all those antidepressant nonsense. they don't cure you; dem pills just make you forget you had issues. your mood feels elevated, yet it feels wrong and dumb. the only upside is they give you a temporary mental pain-relief so you might have some time to change your life style, but that's the point. change colors and try to go with the society flow, or live alone in your dissociated unreal world which ofcourse was a result of your brain's self perseverance mechanism.
i will not bend knee to my parent's expectations or the society norm. yet i am not good at making money and/or too lazy to get out of this depression swamp. fuck the modern citizen. fuck the society. its a matter of time before i throw myself off the rooftops. godspeed anon.
>>
>>24413466
>pissing in bottles
>tfw already there
b-but it's only because I have a frequent urination problem and the bathroom is downstairs...so it's ok r-right?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.