[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WE'RE ALL MAKE IT!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10
File: Happy-Frog-Meme-19.jpg (70 KB, 1631x1571) Image search: [Google]
Happy-Frog-Meme-19.jpg
70 KB, 1631x1571
WE DID IT, BROS! GET IN HERE! We're all gonna live! Forever!
There is this beautiful thing called quantum immortality. It basically means that you will never die, because your consciousness will always branch out in to a parallel universe where death is avoided. Eventually, you will become the oldest person on Earth. With all of that knowledge and wisdom, you'll practically be a God! Holy shit!
ARE YOU FUCKING READY TO BECOMW A GOD?
>>
Wish it was true.
>>
>>24404780
It is, bro! It is! Google it!
Sorry for the typos in the OP. It's just so exciting.
>>
I've read about this theory before and I don't get how it was supposed to work for people in pre-modern times.

I mean sure, for us, it's remotely possible there could be some radical breakthrough in anti-senescence tech that leads to biological immortality, and our consciousness branches into that timeline.

but what about some prehistoric caveman? what possible event could he have branched into the timeline of that would lead to his immortality?
>>
>>24404813
>but what about some prehistoric caveman? what possible event could he have branched into the timeline of that would lead to his immortality?

There are infinite universes in quantum physics so this realm actually exists, it's just very far away from us on the branches of the omniverse. Sounds farfetched as fuck, but yea.
>>
Hmmmmm

robotcantstoptheshitposting
>>
>>24404898
>Hmmmmm
Back to >>>/reddit/ with you.
>>
>>24404872
but what incredibly unlikely event could prolong a caveman's life? getting kidnapped by aliens?
>>
>>24404770
Can confirm, just put gun to my head and pulled the trigger. Gun jammed. Will report back when god-king of earth.
>>
You're pretty thick, OP.

The probability of THIS universe being the one where you're immortal is pretty slim. In fact, even if there was a universe where you live forever, you won't experience it if you're in the universe where you die.
>>
>>24405093
Thats not how it works, the whole premise is that you are necessarily always in the one that is as if you were not there would be no you to experience it.
>>
This may be a long shot, but any travelers of dimensions or planet's, I'm ready to awaken. I need to see more
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 590x421) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 590x421
>oldest man alive
>god
>>
>>24405118
But there will be a you.

Just in a separate universe.

That you're not in.
>>
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 251x241) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 251x241
>>24405202
>there will be a you
>that youre not in

Dont make me spell it out for you kid
>>
>>24405249
Do you not understand the concept?

You pull the trigger. The universe branches. "you" will go on, but there WILL be universes where "you" die. There will be no "you" in those universes. And it is highly likely that this will be one of them.
>>
Fuck! that means I have died 2 or 3 times. I have attempted to gas myself with carbon monoxide twice, and one other suicide attempt. I always wondered why I was still alive. My poor family having to find my body twice.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 511x449) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 511x449
>>24405343
>THAT YOURE NOT IN
>"YOU," WILL GO ON

My man...
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 800x850) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 800x850
There has been a change of plans...
>>
>>24405407
There are two universes where you are dead and where you're alive.

You will end up in the former. You won't get to be the latter. You will be in the dead universe.
>>
>>24405493
But that is not what quantum immortality says. The idea is that "you," which is just a general term for all your experiences, will necessarily survive, as there is no such thing as another you. You are you, that is a tautology in any case yet you dont seem to understand it...
>>
>>24405586
If I am me, then explain the universe where there is a corpse of me.
>>
It's actually called reincarnation. It's been known about for millennium.
>>
>>24404770

I can finally shitpost from an unknown dimension

Tybg
>>
>>24405614
That corpse is no more you than a bowling ball is you.

You are your consciousness, another tautology.

If you were to say that your body was you then you may as well address a bowling ball as you.
>>
>>24405661
Your consciousness is directly affected by your body.
>>
File: 1435250669639.jpg (96 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1435250669639.jpg
96 KB, 420x420
>>24404770
Thats not quite what quantum immortality means you fucktard nigger.

>>24405343
This guys gets it. Sure, you might live on forever in 1 universe out of an infinity (yes, a fucking infinity of dying) of others where you'll die.

Also it has nothing to do with conscniousness, just probabilities. As soon as you die your consciousness ceases existing, period.
>>
>>24404770
I remember being in my senior year of high school getting stoned with one particular friend and just driving around in my car for hours talking about this shit and shit like it. He was an interesting guy. Smart as hell too.

Anyway, that shit would be horrible. You'd ultimately end up a rotted pile of mush alone in a dead world. Fuck that.

Good thing its bullshit.
>>
>>24405693
Ok but how can you talk about you without it being YOU holy shit you dense cow get it together. There is no other possible you, you are you it is inherent to the meaning of the word you.
>>
File: 1413096407052_jpg.jpg (234 KB, 998x974) Image search: [Google]
1413096407052_jpg.jpg
234 KB, 998x974
>>24405749
Okay mr. troll I'm getting tired here.
>>
>>24405697
If your consciousness stops existing then you stop existing, if it does not, you do not. There is no you without your consciousness.
>>
>>24405693
Not him, but I'll try to explain it.

Imagine each parallel universe is like a stream, separate streams that just happen to be close together. This universe is one of those streams. Now, imagine there's a rock or some kind of block at the end of this stream. Now imagine the water flow of the stream conjoining into a parallel stream. That rock is every time you die. Your consciousness doesn't just die, instead it just joins a parallel universe where you didn't die. So in theory, if you put a loaded gun to your head and pulled the trigger, it would never work. The gun would jam or you would just end up a vegetable. You will literally never die from your perception because any death causing event would be averted as your consciousness travels to another parallel universe. This would supposedly go on forever until you're just a pile of mush but still sentient.

However, its all bullshit.
>>
File: 1435178309424.gif (1 MB, 500x344) Image search: [Google]
1435178309424.gif
1 MB, 500x344
>>24405697
Just remembered that its not exactly about probabilities at all either, because every event with 2 possible outcomes will happen and branch infinitely.

>>24405788
Right, but if you die in universe 1 and youre living in 2, you are fucking dead in 1 no matter how full of life you are in 2.
>>
>>24405935
Yea ok but why does that even warrant discussion? Its a trivial point, not related to you or I.

Also plz give anime name
>>
>>24404813
There is no you. You just jump from universe to universe into that specific you for given moment. That is why you can't predict future, all outcomes exist, it just varies which universe and reality you're experiencing at any given moment, only constant is change
>>
remind me of this for some reason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50V3eA2YYFI
>>
>>24405984
>plz give anime name
Boku no pico.
>>
File: 1448048952500.jpg (100 KB, 637x829) Image search: [Google]
1448048952500.jpg
100 KB, 637x829
Girls are too cute

I don't want to like girls anymore

I want to be asexual
>>
>people not realizing that this is pseudo science shit and that your conciousness will continue, but in the minds of the people you've met and affected and not in some parallel perfect universe
>not realizing that all life is connected even at only the smallest level
>not realizing that you are completely unimportant but that your experiences and ideas are and that they have been and will be felt by many lives both in the past and future
>not finding comfort in the meaningless of the individual in the grand scheme and only the immediate
>>
>tfw the universe will force you to outlive your partner
>>
I think i'm a Boltzmann brain.
>>
I had a theory that that happened when I was younger but ended up ruling it has impossible because it would probably create paradoxes
>>
>>24404926
Virtual particles appearing in a complex way that preserves the caveman's life?
>>
What's the point of this?

I already forgot my previous "Me"
>>
File: two guns for this.png (320 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
two guns for this.png
320 KB, 600x300
>>24404770
Sounds fucking shit.
>>
we're ll boltzmanns brains, the matrix is real
>>
>>24404813
There could be a universe with more advanced technology where you don't die.

I really dont see how this can be possible though. Even if there are infinitely many universes then there are infinitely many versions of you so an infinite number of them won't die with you but the you in this universe still dies. Forever.
>>
>>24404770
For all practical purposes, this is equivalent to saying that since I can imagine a life in which I'm immortal, the 'me' in that dream actually is immortal.

This is the tier of that logic.
>>
>>24406708
In other words, like most such ideas, it relies on redefinition the term 'to exist'. Hey guys, [smallprint]under certain highly technical senses of existing[/smallprint], there exists a version of you that's awesome!
>>
Reminder that someone actually got paid to "research" this bullshit theory and then got even more money when he published it.

the world is unfair.
>>
>Unable to die

NOOOOOO
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.