[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw there's still time for you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 15
File: 1434664599227.jpg (166 KB, 500x770) Image search: [Google]
1434664599227.jpg
166 KB, 500x770
>tfw there's still time for you
>>
>Sacrificed himself, to himself, to save us from himself

Awfully thoughtful.
>>
For me it was like the opposite. I made myself miserable trying to be a better person and read classics, when I realized all I wanted was to escape into virtual fantasy.
>>
>>24393912
Kind of the same. I spent my first 21 years trying to be someone I'm not and was actively miserable/suicidal.

I decided to just stop trying so hard, accept that I'm a loner who doesn't date that much, concentrate on my career, etc.

I don't say I'm HAPPY but I'm content. Better than before at least.
>>
>>24393912
You dont need to read classics. You just need to love Jesus and let his love transform you.
>>
If I can't fap in this world, can I at least have eternal orgasms in heaven?
>>
File: image.jpg (196 KB, 850x1238) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
196 KB, 850x1238
It's all well and good until you realize what waits for us at the end of this test is a painful death into uncertainty. And good luck with the roadblocks on the way.

Also if you're really good super Christian just maybe the other side would like to torture it out of you. But be strong for Jesus he loves you!

God, I was such a good Christian before...

Well almost.
>>
>>24393948
That's a hot tip, thanks. If I see Jesus I'll tell him you said hi.
>>
>>24394044
Have you ever just tried praying, esp. for faith?
>>
File: 1447467043824.jpg (19 KB, 239x207) Image search: [Google]
1447467043824.jpg
19 KB, 239x207
>>24393815
Why did toy meme the hell out of that comic? It was fine the way it was.
>>
>>24394066
My grandmother taught me to say the "Now I lay me down to sleep" prayer before bed. Otherwise, no.
>>
Ok, hear me out on this one.

If I pray to the devil, to see what he can offer to me, then decide it's not what I thought.

Do I still get to change back and ask for forgiveness or is there some strict rule about that?
>>
>>24393855
This world is absurd
>>
File: 1244334912158.jpg (64 KB, 580x480) Image search: [Google]
1244334912158.jpg
64 KB, 580x480
>>24393815
>ye

Fucking King James Version. Just retire that shit already.
>>
File: 457457.jpg (139 KB, 1018x762) Image search: [Google]
457457.jpg
139 KB, 1018x762
>>24394140
The thing that was instrumental in my conversion was learning that faith is not something people obtain. It is given to them by God if they will it. As an atheist, I made a humble and honest prayer to a God I wasn't sure existed asking for faith. Then after some time, I found myself continuing to pray, reading about the Church, and in about 4 months I was a Catholic.

I guarantee you that if you ask God with conviction and trust and humility for faith in prayer, he will answer you. It is a gift that he gives to everyone who wishes it. God loves you deeply and when you open yourself up to him he floods you with his love.
>>
>>24394179
God's forgiveness is endless. Satan is there in every form of sin; praying to him is nothing special. In my experience, running to Satan sometimes makes it even easier for God's grace to find you. It at least shows you're searching for something, and God is simply more powerful than Satan.
>>
>>24393815
>Welcome back, rational and reformed adult
>rational
Actually it's the other way around, pal. You get all these feels, you stop being rational, and you actually *get* that life is about emotion and not dialectics.
It's only then that you're back on the path.
>>
>>24393948
I believe in Jesus but desu I just hope I don't go to hell. I fear God, God is incredible.
>>
>>24394209
>when you open yourself up to him he floods you with his love.
Fuck you, I'm not a trap and god isn't gonna make use of my boi pucci
>>
>>24394206
It's best version desu
>>
>>24394261
That can be sad to live your life that way without feeling the peace and joy of God's love. My recommendation is a devotion to the Blessed Mother. She will show you the way toward God's love instead of the fear you have.

This is the authoritative text on Marian devotion. Popes have said it changed their lives. Skim through it. Since it's from old times it's online for free: https://www.ewtn.com/library/Montfort/TRUEDEVO.HTM#Part%20I:%20Ch.%201
>>
>>24394237
>God is simply more powerful than Satan.
In what way? Knowledge or influence?
>>
File: 1445747610951.jpg (123 KB, 2031x1137) Image search: [Google]
1445747610951.jpg
123 KB, 2031x1137
>>24394303
God created you. You should learn the love of your Creator. It is life changing. God bless.
>>
>>24394209
The definition of faith is belief that is not based on proof. That is unacceptable to me. If I decided to believe things for no reason, there would be no end to the things I could decide to believe.
>>
>>24394350
God is all powerful and the Creator of everything, including Satan. God's will is final and controls everything except for the will of man. God grants us free will because he wants us to freely love him.
>>
File: 1446975103004.jpg (193 KB, 1337x1034) Image search: [Google]
1446975103004.jpg
193 KB, 1337x1034
>>24394356
I disagree on a number of levels with this, and I'll tell you why. First, God taken as a concept is a metaphysical necessity in many philosophical models. This isn't true for any random thing you make up, and it's certainly not true for a philosophical construct that doesn't map onto reality in anyway.

Second, even if you took for granted every miraculous event ever related to people was true, it would still be logical and rational to follow Christ out of all of those possibilities.

Third, Jesus' life, ministry, and resurrection is well-attested. If the resurrection were a non-supernatural event, historians would regarded as extremely well documented. It is an a priori rejection of the supernatural that precludes the possibility.

Fourth, have you done any empirical analysis yourself? Have you experimented with prayer to God, in the way described in this thread? If not, how can you call yourself an empiricist? Give it a try.
>>
>>24394355
How is umaru such a cute? The mind boggles.
>>
>working shitty cashier job
>guy with a huge beard and long hair comes through my line
>say the obligatory "hi how are you today"
>he says "how could I not be doing well on this wonderful day that christ has given us" with a really thick greek accent
>continue scanning his items he talks about how everything he's getting is for the orthodox soup kitchen and tells me that if anyone I know is ever in need that I should tell them to come
>he says that he believes christs love for even the lowest among us should be shown through our works
>as I finish scanning I have to ask if they want to donate a dollar to a store charity
>he asks if he can donate more and says to just make it an even $100
>his order was like $40
>as he finishes bagging his groceries and leaves he says "christs love be with you"

I don't know guys, I've never really been a believe but that made me think
>>
Fapping to your waifu > eternal life
>>
>>24393948
idk jesus seems nice an all but i'm kind of in a poly relationship with the triple goddess
>>
>>24394642
Christ does love you. He's calling you, anon. This is how he starts pulling you to him. Some evening or whenever, go to a Catholic Church and sit there and pray. Things will happen.
>>
>>24394505
Firstly, God is non-falsifiable. "Many philosophical models" may be wrong.
>it would still be logical and rational to follow Christ out of all of those possibilities
Why?
>Third, Jesus' life, ministry, and resurrection is well-attested.
I won't argue the historicity of Jesus. However, I don't believe in his resurrection. It's a sketchy account of an event that happened two thousand years ago. People are fooled into believing all kinds of nonsense today. It may have been an accident, a rumor, a parlor trick, or a conspiracy.
>Have you experimented with prayer to God, in the way described in this thread?
What you're asking me to do is impossible. I must pray with faith, which asks that I set my skepticism aside, which as I explained earlier, means accepting nonsense. Also, personal experience isn't empirical.

I really don't want to waste time arguing with this, no religious debate over the internet has ever come to rest with both sides in agreement. You've made your choice, and I hope it makes you happy.
>>
File: 43645745765.jpg (823 KB, 1620x1577) Image search: [Google]
43645745765.jpg
823 KB, 1620x1577
>>24394595
Devotion to the Blessed Virgin leads to a happy life! I love her! (This is the cutest Umaru I have senpai)
>>
>>24394642
>christs love for even the lowest among us

this implies that god believes there is a hierarchy of humans and that we are all not equal

it sounds like that guy never read the bible
>>
>>24394729
or that english probably isn't his first language
>>
>>24394320
>reading any pre-Lutheran so-called "holy" book
I hope you're good friends with Satan, because you two will be spending a lot of time together in a few years.
>>
>>24394729
>christs love for even the lowest among us
>this implies that god believes there is a hierarchy of humans
Though God does (post-Jesus) love all humans equally, He recognizes that we have established a hierarchy for ourselves. He speaks of such hierarchies not to cement them with His holy blessing, but to make explicitly clear that His love depends not on our birth but on our faith.
>>
File: 1447574173335.jpg (18 KB, 525x295) Image search: [Google]
1447574173335.jpg
18 KB, 525x295
31. God the Son wishes to form himself, and, in a manner of speaking, become incarnate every day in his members through his dear Mother. To her he said: "Take Israel for your inheritance." It is as if he said, God the Father has given me as heritage all the nations of the earth, all men good and evil, predestinate and reprobate. To the good I shall be father and advocate, to the bad a just avenger, but to all I shall be a judge. But you, my dear Mother, will have for your heritage and possession only the predestinate represented by Israel. As their loving mother, you will give them birth, feed them and rear them. As their queen, you will lead, govern and defend them.
>>
>>24394206
KJV uses "...for My Name's sake," in Matthew 19 and other Bibles use "...for my sake," Jesus kicks ass, but The Ten Commandments.
>>
>>24394505
I seriously hate people like you, I was forces to take apologetics for 4 years. All of your points are never brought up by any knowledgeable pious person. Even the best, and I mean the BEST arguments for God's existence are shaky at best.
>>
does it help?
saying god loves you again and again but theres nobody who actually do?
does it work after a time?
>>
>>24394720
A historical document attests to Jesus' having raised a boy from the dead (this document was written by an eyewitness, found in The Vatican.)
>>
>>24395104
>found in The Vatican
Of course it was.
>>
>>24395084
what are you even on about? do you just like expressing irrational anger at people who believe things you dont
>>
Obligatory reminder that agnostic atheism is the only rational worldview at this point in time.
>>
>>24393815

>Pleb
>De Civitate Dei
>Rational and Reformed Adult
>le inspirational quote

Amazing, the jesus freaks have managed to become even more pretentious and smug than the fedora tippers.
>>
>>24394505
Miracles don't happen.
>>
>Tfw you are labelled as a fedora tipper if you disagree with the Bible.

God damn it.
>>
>>24393815
>Jesus will never make you hot soup and fuck your boipuss in the tent after dinner

Why even continue existing? Why does God hate me so?
>>
>>24395849
How do you know that?

Also the image used "occur", not "happen.
Fag.
>>
>I'm scared of what will happen after my pitiful life, so i believe in an afterlife of eternal happiness and sunshine etc.

Seriously, it's okay to fear death, but don't go spreading your bullshit on here about your one true god, there are countless religions, all with different beliefs; and you think yours is correct?
If a god did exist, and he/she (arrogant assuming its a he) cared most about us (conveniently, assuming the billion of other species that co-exist on this earth, is probably the most arrogant assumption of humankind to make.
>>
The central idea of Christianity is that God came as one of us, and lead a human life that terminated in suffering and humiliation. God knows our pain. Of course, being God, it was not necessary that he submit himself to this, rather he did it purely out of love for us.

I'm a convert myself. Assuredly, it takes time and there's always a struggle, but you can come to know God if you open your heart.
>>
File: satisfiedbateman.jpg (3 KB, 232x255) Image search: [Google]
satisfiedbateman.jpg
3 KB, 232x255
>>24393815
>tfw you think there's still time for you because you're systematically immolating any sort of feeling you once had... symbolically speaking.
>>
File: 1369628292398.jpg (127 KB, 504x470) Image search: [Google]
1369628292398.jpg
127 KB, 504x470
It always feels like it's too late.
>>
>>24393815
what if youre a tranny?
>>
>>24396168
Miracles do not occur because they can't occur. Miracles cannot occur because that would require breaking the laws of the universe, which in turn cannot happen. Not only that, but never has a real miracle (e.g. unexplainable though science) occurred, ever.
>>
>>24396295
Can you prove any of this?
>>
>tfw you want to become Christian
>tfw you just cannot make yourself genuinely believe in an omnipotent omnipresent God

Is it ok to just be a cultural Christian?
>>
>>24396298
You want to break the laws of thermodynamics? Go ahead, be my guest.
>>
>>24396295
Miracles happen often, like that time the turtle beat the rabbit in a race. I saw about it in the news it just blew my head
>>
>>24396346
But can you prove I cant? If I was more able, and richer, maybe I could.
>>
Reminder that if you belong to an organized religion you might as well be an atheist

>those thousands of Gods that aren't mine are all not real
>but MY God is the real God

If you aren't either an atheist or independent theist you are straight up retarded
>>
>>24396357
Are you serious? Do I really need to explain how the burden of proof works?
>>
>>24396423
People have believed in miracles for many thousands of years.
You show up claiming miracles are impossible, and cant prove it.

Where lies the burden, then?
>>
hey guys, those thousands of other religions, you shouldn't believe them guys, they're all going to hell, you should believe my one, because it was the first one that i believed in or it made the most sense to me.

GUISE IM SUPER CEREAL, EITHER CONFORM OR BURN IN HELL
>>
>>24396469

Was religion the first chain letter?

Send this to 20 other people or you'll burn in hell.
>>
>>24396432
>argumentum ad populum
wew lad

Also, I just demonstrated why miracles are impossible. In order for them to occur, they would need to violate the well established laws of the universe in order to occur. If you want proof of the laws of the universe, do literally fucking anything.
>>
File: 1414813839868.jpg (46 KB, 450x299) Image search: [Google]
1414813839868.jpg
46 KB, 450x299
>Keen for a thread about plebs on full damage control about muh anime/memerap/vidya
>someone turned it into another religion thread

fuck off
>>
>>24396498
>well established laws of the universe

That get re-established every few decades?
Lets not act like we know how things work.
>>
Fuck off back to 8gag
>>
>>24394595
Market research.
>>
>>24396607
Alright then. Go ahead and break these "new" laws.
>>
>>24396644
Just because I cant do it, doesnt mean it cant be done. I cant give birth, does this mean birth isnt real?
Dont be ridiculous.
>>
>>24396687
Come on, you know what I meant. I'm saying, if it can be done, it will. Until then though, I will continue to use it because it works for the time being.
Besides, this isn't even really what I meant by well-established. I was talking more along the lines of Newtonian mechanics and thermodynamics. Things they have been in place for centuries.
>>
>>24396295
That's why it's called a miracle. God showing Himself to be so powerful that he need not adhere to any natural laws, because He makes them.
>>
>>24396749
Isnt Newtonian gravity out of favor these days?
As I said, the "rules" arent established, we keep making up new ones to fit our new observations.

When we see a miracle we change the rules in such a way as to make that miracle a non-micarle.
>>
>people believe miracles because they are "documented" in the bible
>>
>>24396778
>people believe in atoms because they are "documented" in a school book
>>
>>24396790
the science around atoms has been put to the test and it works
science is great because it works

I really dont get how the faithful gets a kick out of bashing science even though it is the research of the world "god created", while they come up with retarded shit like creationism and pascal's wager

on the other hand, the bible is full of retarded inconsistencies, even if you go with "muh metaphors" for 99% of it
>>
>>24396790
>people own fedoras
>>
>>24396357
>But can you prove I cant?
He probably can. The laws of thermodynamics are more like theorems. Saying "I can break the laws of thermodynamics!" is like saying "I can make 2+2 = 5!"
>>
>>24396769
If God cannot create laws he cannot break, then he is not truly all powerful.

>>24396776
That is what I mean by established. I wasn't talking about Newtonian gravity either. I'm talking about Newtonian mechanics, which is still applied to this day. And you're right about miracles. If a "miracle" were to occur, explainable by current science, we would work with this "miracle" until we understand the mechanics behind it; ergo, not a miracle.
>>
>>24396776
>Isnt Newtonian gravity out of favor these days?
Nope. Newtonian gravity is the low-speed limit of general relativity. That's the nice thing with physics; there's no proof by revelation. Everything builds up on something we know.
>>
>>24396938
*unexplainable
>>
>>24396938
>I'm talking about Newtonian mechanics, which is still applied to this day.

Looking at past trends, this doesnt guarantee that it will still be applied next year.
And that is what I am talking about.

Also I think your definition of miracle is the problem here. You admit a miracle can happen, and that it will be dissected and new rules built to include it, removing its miracle status.
>>
>>24396974
I put "miracle" in quotations to imply that it was never a miracle to begin with, as there is some sort of explainable mechanism behind it, and therefore not a miracle.
>>
I wish I could feel the drive to be a practicing Christian. I was raised in it but I never really was able to believe because to never felt like I was able to please God by following the rules He set out. I never really embraced that He would love me whether I was a bit of a fuck up or not.

Now I just feel so far from religion. I feel like a loser because I only drifted away because I could and I gave up on so many values for no reason. I wish I had felt a stronger religious connection when I was younger so this wouldn't have happened.
>>
>>24397050
A miracle is an unexplainable event.
>>
I've gotten down on my knees and prayed before, begging, not for proof, but just for even the slightest feeling that there was something out there listening. never got it.
>>
>>24397067
Exactly, and unexplainable events do not happen. There is a mechanism behind everything that has occurred, because, without it, there is no order.
>>
>>24397106
Unexplainable events happen all the time. There is much we cant explain.
Even generic stuff like the bacteria in humans, causes of cancer, mental illness, sexuality, all arent fully explored and all have unexplained aspects.

Maybe you arent aware how little we know?
>>
Religion is a man made language virus.
>>
File: whiteknight.jpg (487 KB, 1086x1080) Image search: [Google]
whiteknight.jpg
487 KB, 1086x1080
>>24393815

Does anyone have a better quality of OP's pic? Preferably without the text.
>>
>>24394248
>and you actually *get* that life is about emotion and not dialectics.
yes, but what should drive human discourse (especially in the face of impending disasters) is NOT about emotion, it's about reason. Collective, concerted rationalization leads to sound reasoning and logic. Individual, and/or contorted rationalization leads to unreasonable conclusions.

Realization that we are human beings, subject to emotional impetus no matter how "rational" our job or our titles may be is wisdom.

But no amount of rationalization should ever lead you to believe that the world should be driven by leaders who leverage your emotions to gain power. This only ends in complete, utter disaster. See: Germany.
>>
>>24397131
But we do understand the mechanisms behind all those things. Perhaps not entirely, but the fact that we can begin to explain those phenomena rules them out as miracles. Bacteria in humans is the result of a mutual benefit between organisms. Cancer is the result of genetic mutation. Mental illness often stems from poor quality of life and/or some form of trauma. Sexuality is the result of genetics and hormones.
>>
i was kicked out of my church for being gay, so guess it's too late for me :^) who else /excommunicated/ here?
>>
>>24397214
Anon, you'll never defeat an idiot who wants a man in the sky to be the reason everything happened.

Religion aside, this type of person is simply done being educated - they have emotional attachment to ignorance.
>>
>>24397214
Fireballs are a result of a very heated mass being conjured into existence.
Thus its not a miracle.
>>
I don't think god is a being judging you from the sky, it's more like a underlying truth, certain actions make you feel like shit, others make you fulfilled and happy. When the guy strays from Jesus he's not punished for what he was doing, but by the actions he's taking, the Jesus path simply represents making decisions that make you happy and fulfilled rather than giving you instant gratification at a price.
>>
>>24397220
I was kicked out of LGBT for basing my gender pronouns on the Zodiac cipher.

who else /soc/iopath here?
>>
>>24397259
I was kicked in the nuts for trying to stand up for myself.

Who else /in pain/ here?
>>
>>24394020
you'll be in a constant state of orgasm there
>>
>>24397238
Exactly, and there's a mechanism behind what causes the heat, and what causes the combustion. And so-on and so forth.
>>
>>24394186
Thanks, Camus.
>>
>>24397285
Are you saying mages flinging fireballs arent at all miraculous and are explained by science?
You are being ridiculous again.
>>
File: 1367340502566.jpg (89 KB, 592x539) Image search: [Google]
1367340502566.jpg
89 KB, 592x539
>>24397238

>conjured
>>
>>24397300
Mages flinging fireballs are explained by 70 years of male virginity.
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.