[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are you ready for the 'lean times'?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8
File: worried_face.jpg (76 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
worried_face.jpg
76 KB, 1280x720
Not so much SHTF scenarios. But I truly do think things will get difficult at some point in the future (In 10 to 20 years, I think). And its unavoidable. I say this based mostly on one thing, water.

This world will have 9 billion people and growing before we know it, but fresh water used for basically everything is limited. I know desalination plants exist, but those things are expensive to build and take a lot of energy. And third world countries won't be able to afford them, and its in those countries where overpopulation is an issue (tons of kids, so many children). So what that means is that water wars will be a real thing over there, causing migrations to better off places. Migrants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1gsyhuHGgc

(continued next post)
>>
>>24391193
(Continued)
Also a problem for us, food will be getting expensive, do you know how much resources go into meat? A dollar menu burger is ridiculous when you think about it. We are destroying the Brazilian rain-forest to grow grain and corn to feed our cattle.

Another aspect is economics. The baby boomer generation is getting older and we need to care for them, but the birthrate is low (that's why so many politicians and elites love migrants, hey, that figures into the water shortages). But too little too late. The economy is like welfare for the baby boomers, its a pyramid scheme like structure, more people each generation has to buy stuff each generation in order to keep the system working. our economies cannot handle shrinking.

And there are other contributors, like antibiotic resistant bacteria because of china and others pumping their cattle full of them (so yet again, we can have cheap meat). And the quickly approaching non-renewable depletion of earths helium (used in the making of microchips).

I have concluded that things will get tough. water shortage and subsequent food shortages, economic collapse, and other contributors will result in a very unpleasant time. Probably not a total collapse, but certainly a pretty severe depression.

So how prepared are you? Do you know how to garden? Cook? Do you have stored non-perishable food? Weapons and the know how to use them?
>>
>>24391202
If SHTF, most everyone of /r9k/ is doomed. But a good antibiotic resistant strep/pneumonia could kill off a lot of the old folks. A good enough plague removes overpopulation, and if it's selective enough regrding age, could fix the economy skewing towards the old
>>
File: 1438040700592.gif (14 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1438040700592.gif
14 KB, 633x758
I'm preparing for the lean times by being fat
>>
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34857015

It's already happening and in the early stages of spreading.

I've got my bag and exit plan and backup plans. It's really not all that expensive to get a decent bag set up, and I had enough money to even have 2 backups for food, water, and shelter each.

Experience is the most important, so go camping sometime. Extended if possible. Learn now and you'll be leaps and bounds ahead of every city-dweller and suburban housewife.
>>
Before I became a shut-in, I got sick all the time. Now, I never get sick. Gonna be a good thing when all those people die from their superbugs.
>>
File: 1420164114508.jpg (109 KB, 792x550) Image search: [Google]
1420164114508.jpg
109 KB, 792x550
>>24391338
muh nigga, fat robos united
>>
I don't see what the big deal is. This is natural selection. Rich people will be made immortal and given their solar powered robot bodies and won't have a need for water/medicine anymore.

Poor people will be culled from this planet. We are the betas of our world, who cares if we die? We'll be doing everyone else who lives a huge favor.
>>
>>24391338
Oh, that reminds me of another. The diabetes epidemic wrecking our healthcare infrastructure.

What will happen when all those obese children start getting their feet amputated en-mass?
>>
Fun fact: people in wealthy countries won't have to worry because the gov't can afford to pump/sanitize/desalinate water, and because only chinks, Indians, and nogs are breeding at a rate where they're in danger of out-growing their environment.
>>
Pro tip: overpopulation and shit doesn't affect America. We've got a shit ton of habitable land plus enough resources to be almost entirely self-sufficient. I doubt India, China, or Africa will do great, but we'll be fine
>>
>>24391509
Holy fuck, are you me?

original fucking comment you nigger robot fuckity fuck fuck fuck
>>
>>24391509

The United States is basically in the perfect geographical location on the planet. We are Fortress America- we'll be affected when the happening happens, but it won't be on the level of many other places in the world.
>>
>>24391509
Watch the video that was posted. Our largest source of Fresh water in the world is underneath the Midwest, and will be bone dry within 60 years.

We would have to make meat more expensive and less available, and grow more vegetables in order to be self sufficient. And that's not going to happen.
>>
>>24391193
>all these points
>nor mentioning the scarcity of fossil fuels
Oil runs EVERY industry. Get ready for a world where we can't manufacture fucking plastic any more, and the massive container ships that transport every kind of goods (food, technology, medical supplies, etc) around the world can't move.
>>
>>24391193
nah, we're gonna have another big fucking war in which i will avoid getting drafted and all the chads will enlist to show off to their girlfriends. world population will be culled, mostly in shit-tier countries, and everything'll be fine
>>
>>24391563
You can talk about muh fresh water sources all you want, but America is rich enough to construct a fuck ton of desalination plants if that's what it comes to. We will not run out of water. We will be targets in the water wars BECAUSE we will have plenty of water.
>>
>>24391570
>tfw i cannot be drafted because of mental illness
>tfw i will kek all the chads while they are off dying for uncle sam
>>
hahah why the fuck would anyone want to live in a post-apocalyptic hellscape?

my apocalypse plan is the only one that makes sense: a gun with a single bullet.
>>
>>24391565
By the time oil runs out we will have fusion.

Those container ships can easily transfer to fission power if need be.

The plastic industry will take a hit, but plastics can be made (and are already made) without petroleum.
>>
File: Lauren Malvo.gif (2 MB, 500x175) Image search: [Google]
Lauren Malvo.gif
2 MB, 500x175
>>24391193
technology increases exponentially

as long as we can keep from killing each other like the savages we are there is no problem we cannot overcome

the only reason a single person today dies on this earth from dehydration/starvation is because the social system has chosen to let it happen
>>
>>24391193
>"my life is shit and meaningless therefore I will fantasize about some imaginary and highly implausible doomsday scenario in order to feel better about myself"
Classic.
>>
>>24391776
Its not the running out of water for us. its the increased costs of power from desalination plants and increased food costs. And migrations from less fortunate areas, and a tanking economy as a result of migrants and aging baby boomers and obesity wreaking our social system.

>>24391894
>>24391968

How optimistic.

I'll be storing canned food on the other hand.
>>
Something will happen, there's no need to worry about it unless you're part of a team of scientists/engineers that's meant to worry about it.

In the end, way beyond our life, the average diet will consist of flavored shit like soylent.
>>
>>24392077
>its the increased costs of power from desalination plants and increased food costs
If shit hit the fan, nuclear power would increase exponentially despite the cries of all the faggots. Power would not be an issue.
Food would not be an issue, either. The US is fully capable of producing enough food to provide for its entire population with the assistance of GMO crops. Again, faggots will cry and kill themselves. Who cares.
>And migrations from less fortunate areas
Do you really think we would open our borders to literally billions of people trying to flee their shit countries? We almost never take any refugees from anywhere, even now.
>a tanking economy as a result of migrants and aging baby boomers
Once again, migrants wouldn't be an issue. Boomers will stop receiving SS and be forced to die or work like everyone else.
>obesity wrecking our social system
It's really not that big of an epidemic and you know it.
>>
>>24392014
> im too short sighted and scared to consider the possibility that our lives arent as stable as I thought it was
>>
>>24392077
>its the increased costs of power
again technology increases exponentially, so everything gets cheaper. eventually prices trend towards zero (0).

look at the price of light. you used to have to make fucking candles; now we keep lights on 24/7 because it's so cheap.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/04/25/306862378/episode-534-the-history-of-light
>>
>>24391894
We're not even close to efficient fusion, and estimates place oil reserves at 50-60 years if you're optimistic.
>>
>>24392195
We're not close to fusion, period. We need massive advances in materials science before we can even hope to sustain a fusion reaction.
>>
>>24392195
>We're not even close to efficient fusion, and estimates place oil reserves at 50-60 years if you're optimistic.
50-60 years will see fusion come to fruition.
>>
>>24392219
>We need massive advances in materials science before we can even hope to sustain a fusion reaction.
You literally know nothing about the subject. We can sustain fusion reactions; we just haven't produced a reactor with a net gain in power yet.
>>
>>24392243
[citation needed]

inb4 that "cold fusion" bullshit.
>>
>>24392191
>assuming technology never hits a ceiling for anything.
>>
>>24391193
just kill all the poor people
>>
File: entangled-microscope-cropped.jpg (177 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
entangled-microscope-cropped.jpg
177 KB, 1024x576
>>24392277
the limits are physical reality and even than we don't completely understand what those are exactly

we've figured out quantum entanglement which pretty much means the speed of light is irrelevant now
>>
>>24392263
Learn to read.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_power#2010s
>>
>>24391563
>60 years

lmao who cares, let chad's kids deal with it
>>
>>24392318
>we've figured out quantum entanglement which pretty much means the speed of light is irrelevant now
I hate when idiots say shit like this as if they know what they're talking about.

QE DOES NOT ALLOW FOR FTL TRANSFER OF INFORMATION.
>>
>>24392318
You are still assuming the magic science of tomarow will solve the problems of today. There is literally water shortages happening right now in many countries, and each year it will be getting worse.

Does anybody really think we will have fusion within 10 years?
>>
The Navy already uses nuclear power for it's ships. I don't see why they can't transfer the technology used to power their carriers to the public sector once diesel isn't worth it.

That doesn't fix local transport though. But I'm one of those people that thinks the only reason we're still even using fosil fuels to this day is because of big oil corps running the lobbying.
>>
File: The Fall.jpg (9 KB, 208x320) Image search: [Google]
The Fall.jpg
9 KB, 208x320
>>24392348
it allows you to transmit binary code, once you can do binary you can transmit any information

>>24392379
again provided we don't kill each other like the savages we are (this includes letting people die today solely because of the political distribution of private property)
>>
>>24392321
It is you, anon, who should learn to read. Those fusion reactions cannot be sustained because they consume more energy than they produce.

You fucking retard.
>>
>>24392457
>It is you, anon, who should learn to read. Those fusion reactions cannot be sustained because they consume more energy than they produce.
You're literally retarded. The word you're looking for is SELF-SUSTAINING. The reactions can be sustained indefinitely with another power source. The problem is net gain of power, not sustainability.
>>
>>24392454
>it allows you to transmit binary code, once you can do binary you can transmit any information
You're an idiot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light#Quantum_mechanics
>>
>>24392508
so? it still allows you to transmit a 1 or a 0 instantaneously across vast distances

admittedly we haven't achieved the vast distance thing yet but the principle is there
>>
>>24392492
And what kind of idiot would assume that I didn't mean self-sustaining and then accuse me of not being able to read when he can't into context clues?
>>
>>24391357

Yeah this is shitty but despite what the Western medical establishment would have you believe, herbal medicine is very legit. There are all kinds of herbs and roots and leaves and flowers that are pretty effective at combating virtually anything that could go wrong with you.

The best thing you can do to prepare for this is to educate yourself on preventative and herbal medicine so that you can avoid doctors and hospitals unless absolutely necessary, since this is where super germs are going to live, and so that you have some treatment options when you catch some completely antibiotic immune disease and your doctor tells you, "Sorry, there's nothing we can do."

Garlic is an antibiotic, olive leaf is antiviral, etc. This is how people dealt with shit before modern medicine and you're not limited to what grows in your region of the world. You've got the entire planet and collected experience of thousands of years of trial and error by populations across the globe to draw on and there's no excuse for not having a stock of herbal medicines and the knowledge to use them.
>>
>>24392564
>And what kind of idiot would assume that I didn't mean self-sustaining and then accuse me of not being able to read when he can't into context clues?
>damage control
>goalpost movement
Use the words you mean when you are trying to have a discussion. In the context of power generation, there is a distinct difference between "sustainable" and "self-sustaining."

If a fusion reaction was "unsustainable," it would mean, for example, that we cannot contain the extremely high temperatures required for plasma given our current methods of containment. This isn't the case. "non-self-sustaining" means that we cannot start a fusion reaction that will continue and provide a net gain of energy without outside interference.

>you're just stupid and don't into context!!
No. You said something stupid. You are wrong. You are trying to move the goalposts. You are trying to control damage.

Faggot.
>>
>>24392552
>so? it still allows you to transmit a 1 or a 0 instantaneously across vast distances
No, it doesn't. Not the way you are thinking.
>>
>>24392170
You think you are the first person to claim that civilization will end within your oh so special lifetime? Nothing interesting will happen in your miserable life save for a couple terrorist attacks and the odd gook war. You will die and the world will go on as usual without you.
>>
>>24392644
Why would I try to control the egg on your face? The meaning of what I said was blatantly obvious. You are literally the only person here who couldn't understand it.
>>
>>24392697
Keep trying to save face, idiot. I'll still be laughing at you.
>>
>>24391390
You do realize why, right?
>>
>>24392718
k bro

>unoriginal comment
>>
>the lean times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jDiAcqbO0c

WAKE UP AND THE WORLD IS EMPTY
>>
>>24392552
It doesn't work like that, you have no control over whether you're "sending" a 0 or a 1.
>>
File: 1437339054059.jpg (136 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1437339054059.jpg
136 KB, 1280x720
>>24391563
>Our largest source of Fresh water in the world is underneath the Midwest, and will be bone dry within 60 years.
I'll be an old, old man by then. So what's the big deal?
>>
>>24393501
it dries up in some areas faster than others.

Texas is first to go, i think.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.