[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do normies not get depressed? The world is fucking shit,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 6
File: 1445443150833.jpg (120 KB, 465x750) Image search: [Google]
1445443150833.jpg
120 KB, 465x750
How do normies not get depressed? The world is fucking shit, it's a pile of garbage, how do they stay positive? Every time I go outside I'm reminded why existence is awful, how do normies not see what I see?
>>
>>24388820
>How do normies not get depressed?
By surrounding themselves with people.
>>
Delusion and distraction
>>
Try st john's wort

normies get depressed but they drown it in booze and drugs and tv
>>
>>24388870
Is it possible to illustrate for them exactly how fucked up everything is? Will they comprehend it, or will the information simply go into one ear and out the other?
>>
>>24389118
I've tried to. I've tried explaining to my tharapist that the overall state of the world in terms of 'net happiness' has decreased since humans became the apex.

7 billion people have to eat somehow. We eat a LOT of meat. It's safe to say we are slaughtering more animals in a short period of time than any other animal that has existed on earth. Total net suffering on earth has gone up so much it's had me consider that I may be in hell. This universe might just be hell and part of the joke is that you'll never know you're in hell.

But I digress. You can't show these people how bad things are because they literally don't have the mental capacity. The chemicals in their brain will not let them fathom that degree of suffering because it is unhealthy. That's why it's the depressed who tend to have the most accurate viewpoint. It's the morbid who actually see the true horrors of our reality.

When I turn on the news, or scroll through live-leak I can't help but think about how little of the spectrum of suffering I'm actually seeing compared to what is out there. I don't blame the normies for being scared to look into the void that is the horrible state of this planet. It fucks you up.
>>
>>24390046
Your points are well expressed.
If you don't mind me asking, what does your therapist say when you tell him this?
>>
>>24390046
quit being 18 and autistic
>>24388820
They choose not too.
It is a literal voluntary denial, they choose to ignore the world to provide for children.
>>
>>24390101
The typical "you're just focussing on the negative" which is complete bullshit imo because the only positive side to the 'net suffering' on the planet being increased is that I get to enjoy a fresh Steak with BBQ sauce once in a while
>>
Just because your life is shit, and the lives of most people are shit, it doesn't mean everyone's life is shit. My life is pretty good. I actually got off my ass and did something to build myself a comfy life.

You could try it too, stop whining and do something.
>>
>>24388820

Normies are normies because they live a shallow and superficial life. Everything in the world is designed to give a brief buzz of excitement to keep the masses jumping from one thing to another, distraction after distraction, people becoming famous for looking good and providing two minutes of escapism.

I notice this because Im a full blown autist who cares for very little in this world.
>>
>>24390114
quit being 30 and virgin
>>
>>24390182
>therapist peptalk 101

I love how it sounds good, but it's a basically meaningless statement.
Boils down to,
>Hey guy, buck up!
Have you thought about getting a new therapist?
>>
normie here, can confirm that it is hard. Honestly, you have to find a hobbie that you are very passionate about and be dumbly hopeful for. I personally make music and am waiting for the day that career takes off. Might happen, might not. Either way, I'm trying, and it's hope that keeps me going.

I also watch plenty of gore vids on the daily to remind myself of my own mortality. being aware of death and how easy it can happen makes you want to make the most of every day until you inevitably choke on a hamburger or get cut in half by a train
>>
>>24390189
So you surrounded yourself in comfort (whether or not you worked hard to do so is neither here nor there) in order to escape discomfort.

How does this make the world at large any less terrible? How is this not also escapism and distraction?
>>
File: 1436493220189.png (57 KB, 1152x648) Image search: [Google]
1436493220189.png
57 KB, 1152x648
Don't burst my bubble NEETkuck! I have more sex than you do, my monster tattoo is awesome!
>>
>>24390300
So you think I should just have given up from the start and wallowed in angry self-pity for the rest of my life. Like a true robot.

Good thing I'm not a robot, then. I couldn't imagine having to live that way.
>>
Meditation. Self-hypnosis through guided imagery.
Be the change you want to see in others.
Peace is only found within. Forget what other people are doing.
>>
>>24388820
I have risen from the lonely ash of introversion and years of depression
Surrounding yourself with people and having lots of friends definitely helps
>>
>>24390189
My life is good compared to almost every other human on Earth, yet I can still smell the reeking shit of the world every moment of my life.

There is no solution to this shittiness, it's just the innate shittiness of the universe, there's no solving it, and once you see it, the best thing you can do is simply ignore it. Even on anti depressants, the shittiness is still there, it just bothers me less, but I am still fully aware of how awful everything is.

I can't comprehend how anyone can be "positive", it just says to me that they're too blind to perceive anything beyond their own hedonistic tunnel vision.
>>
>>24390264

I've been through 3 in the past 4 years. I also see a psychiatrist and I'm on zoloft for depression and anxiety. They are all the same. Pill pushers or pep talkers and no one who fucking gets it.

But it's not like they would get it would they?
To be a psychologist requires a PHD so clearly that person had their shit together from the get-go. How much thought have they really put into the state of our current planet beyond the petty squabbles of our species? How many animals/people have they seen killed or tortured?

And to be a psychiatrist (the guy that's allowed to give you pills) you don't even NEED a phd, just go to med school for a bit and you're ready to fill my head with chemicals and tell me I'm thinking strange.

It's a joke really. I see most adults as big kids who think because they've lived for X amount of years they are some how more knowledgeable about the world.
>>
>>24388820
They're too busy causing the problems.

>>24389118
No, they'll just tell you to stop being so negative and depressed. They get really defensive and condescending when confronted with negativity; try it sometime.
>>
>>24390407
>>My life is good compared to almost every other human on Earth,
Ok, can I have 10% of your stuff please.
>>
This thread:

>hurr anyone who isn't negative is a blind stupid sheeple
>durr i know the truth because im so smart and far above the normies

You guys aren't as smart as you think.
>>
>>24390471
Most therapists go into the field to better understand their own problems.
They assume that they can somehow instill what are ultimately very personal realizations.
Now I just get my medication through my PCP, and don't even bother with finding a therapist.
>It's a joke really. I see most adults as big kids who think because they've lived for X amount of years they are some how more knowledgeable about the world.
That's the short of it. You get to a point where you realize that most people never really grow up.

Good luck with it.
>>
File: ffs.gif (858 KB, 240x228) Image search: [Google]
ffs.gif
858 KB, 240x228
Lol wut, why is world bad? Because people die? Because animals die? Good & Evil is a social construct, just don't give a shit about stuff that you can't affect and move on.
>>
>>24390513
No. You think I'm not aware of my own sins? I'm just as shitty as everyone else, I don't deny that for a second.
>>
File: 0-gbzgfSNL20zQtTu-.jpg (58 KB, 375x353) Image search: [Google]
0-gbzgfSNL20zQtTu-.jpg
58 KB, 375x353
it doesn't take a genius to see the patterns in life that lends to nihilism, but if you can't find the will to make courageous existential decisions you might as well be dead. the point is, you only get this one brief crack of light between 2 eternities of darkness, might as well make the most of it.
>>
>>24390538
>no argument

Typical of a normie. Ever heard of depressive realism?
>>
>>24390895
>no argument

That sums up your own post.
>>
>>24390942
>>24390538
You're a fucking idiot or a trol
>>
Because normies are normal?
Humans have built great societies where we can enjoy the best life has to offer in comfort and safety.

Only your serotonin soaked brain can find fault with that.
>>
>>24390359
No
I'm saying your mode of thinking doesn't accurately describe reality
The world is still full of horror even if your insulation causes you not to see it, and working hard does not make this horror go away
You can do whatever you want, I don't care
I can understand your desire to behave the way you do as easily as a robot's
There is no reason why one should feel compelled to play a game they don't want to play
By the same token, there's no reason why you shouldn't play a game you do want to play. But at least recognize that you're playing the game.
>>
>>24391008
>But at least recognize that you're playing the game.
And that others may not want to, as is their right, and that there is no reason why they should feel obligated to
>>
>>24388820
By surrounding themselves with people, working out, and keeping them selves busy with meaningful activities like work or hobbies. They also realize the futility of negative thinking.
>>
>>24391061
Negative thinking is hardly futile when it represents truth or inspires action
Ofc it doesn't always
I think it's a bit much to generalize it as entirely useless
>>
>>24391157
>Negative thinking is hardly futile when it represents truth or inspires action
>Ofc it doesn't always
>I think it's a bit much to generalize it as entirely useless

It never represents truth. Your views are subjective and someone can always have the opposite view of yours. What kind of action can it inspire?
>>
I don't understand people who feel better about their depression when they think about how bad somebody in the third world is suffering

that just makes me feel even worse
>>
>>24390341
Post more like this
>>
>>24391247
>It never represents truth
If you don't believe in objective truth then why does it matter whether one chooses to be positive or negative? If truth is subjective, then how can the futility of negative thinking be objectively true?

>What kind of action can it inspire?
Acknowledgment of suffering is prerequisite to intending to alleviate it
>>
>>24388820
Normalfags are accepted by society, thus they can take pride in wageslaving, social hobbies, being around others in general. When they may get down sometimes, they can find some positivity in their actions because it's reinforced by others, even if may be delusional.

Our existence is awful, because we're constantly rejected, mostly due to being physically ugly. The normalfag does not face this.
>>
>>24391345
*is a prerequisite
nb
>>
>>24391345
I agree with this anon.

>>24391034
Well when considering their ignorance is causing the planet to deteriorate and their willful neglect of the reality before them is directly contributing to the suffering on this planet, I'd say there's a big fucking reason WHY they should feel obligated to give a fuck about the truth

This is why I'm depressed and suicidal.
>>
>>24390182
Net suffering has increased, but net happiness has as well.

Since you mention steak, take the cow for example. It lives to eat and procreate. These are its prerogatives, and if you offered it free food and ample mating opportunity it would take it.

We do exactly that. We feed our cattle, protect them, breed them together, and when the time comes we kill them far more humanely than any other predator would. In the wild they would be starving, diseased, and far less numerous.

Their quality of life has increased, and from a utilitarian view their happiness has increased due to their increased numbers.
>>
i'm always afraid that normies fell just as shitty as i do but theyre superior people and just deal with it better than i could ever hope to.

but nah, i think they just fill their lives with shallow relationships ad things like drugs and sex to run away from anything that could ever harm them

or maybe theyre genuinely happy and im just overanalyzing because of jealousy
>>
The world is only a pile of shit to poor people. I can do whatever the fuck I want, I am happy.
>>
>>24391444
a world in which 1000 people are suffering horribly is worse than a world in which 100 people are suffering horribly, even if world 1 has a total population of 10k and world 2 has a population of 200.

it's the absolute figure that counts, not the percentage.
>>
>>24391061
>meaningful activities
Like wage slaving and following the latest trend
>>
isolation, anchoring, distraction and sublimation
>>
>>24388820
Because they're garbage too and don't realize it. How the fuck do you think the world got like this?
>>
>>24390644
God, shut up and kill yourself.
>>
>>24391405
Their inducement unto the planet was not consensual. Using consensus as kind of an idealistic basis for when it is reasonable for the acceptance of responsibility to be obligatory (because having things happen to you against your will is not generally ideal), I'd say there really is no reason why they should give a fuck, except for the fact that they continue to stay somewhere they ostensibly do not want to stay. Matters are further complicated because leaving has its own roadblocks that have been pointed out ITT already.
>>
>>24388820
You're depressed because you have the hability to ignore Nature.
>>
love sex drama, also drugs
when I was really depressed I felt the need of having a grill next to me, to cuddle, talk and have sex, I guess it's something that helps, but my ex gf just got scared and ran away...so yeah, whatever I guess
>>
>>24391513
Modern ranching minimizes suffering that animals would experience in the wild.

I would also argue that Happiness is the absence of suffering. Following that, the percentage does absolutely count, because more happiness = less suffering.

The absolute figure has absolutely no impact whatsoever. For example: Imagine the world from "I Have No Mouth Yet I Must Scream", it is set beneath the charred ashes of a post apocalyptic earth, and follows the last five humans on earth living in their experiences of endless torture from a malevolent machine. That world is obviously and objectively worse than our current world despite only 5 people suffering vs 7.2 billion.
>>
>>24391621
You just helped me realizing what is wrong with me, dang it.
I have the ability to ignore...Nature. It's awesome, I'm awesome. It's not something I'm missing, It's something I HAVE.
>>
>>24391687
Your ability to ignore nature is just a part of nature though, unless you believe in metaphysical shit. Crazy stuff.
>>
>>24391687
Enjoy your newfound delusion
>>
>>24390046
>actually caring about this

kek, join the school of egoism with me friend

you probably will disagree (or agree, how would I know) , but life is essentially meaningless, which is a damn good thing. in the grand scheme it matters so little how many starve, rot or get shot.

when you think like this you deny liberation. i'm not saying don't think about these people and ignore suffering, but rather accept it and be able to see the situation from above.

how can hell be as divine as this world?

why can't you see how everyone is but an ant to you anon?
>>
Life sucks and most peoples lives are total shit, but do you really want to be one of them? Just give up to hopeless depression because? I think this is the biggest difference between normies and robots; normies don't want to give up, they want to make their lives as less shitty as possible.

Who wouldn't? If you could choose to not be depressed wouldn't you?
>>
File: sheeple.png (46 KB, 376x401) Image search: [Google]
sheeple.png
46 KB, 376x401
itt (in this thread)
>>
>>24390388
Me too, same way.
>>
>>24390046
Why the fuck do you care if it isn't affecting you? If you really care, fucking amass as much knowledge as possible and go change the world. What good is it to mope and be miserable about shit that doesn't affect you?
>>
>>24390046
>This universe might just be hell and part of the joke is that you'll never know you're in hell.

You know, I vaguely remember reading a story like this. Some depressed man looks around at how terrible everything is, and eventually decides to kill himself. However, he finds that he is physically unable to die no matter what he tries.
Eventually the Devil appears to him, and states that he's actually in Hell. He offers to send the man back to the beginning of his "life" and make him forget everything that has happened. The depressed man takes the Devil's offer, but before Satan sends him on his way, he makes some remark that heavily implies he's done this to the man countless times already.
>>
>>24391983
Please stop your meta commentary and try to make an actual argument.
>>
File: 1447610973706.png (74 KB, 376x401) Image search: [Google]
1447610973706.png
74 KB, 376x401
>>24391983
I feel like this might be better in this situation.
>>
Is everyone 12?
Where did you learn of this reality you speak of?
Why should I care about x persons?

Who is phone?
>>
>>24391930
>If you could choose to not be depressed wouldn't you?
Not if it meant ignoring aspects of the world that I consider to be inherently depressing

>they want to make their lives as less shitty as possible
That's just playing life's fucked up hamster wheel game. If it were sentient this would be exactly what it would want you to do.
It's not just the circumstances within the game that I disdain, but the game itself in its entirety
Imagine if your entire life you were forced to play a single game of monopoly. Maybe you want to get up and do something else, or nothing at all, but you can't. You don't care for winning anymore, you just want out. And every time you try to get up, the people who are winning berate you for not attempting to succeed, saying that you're only miserable because you're not trying hard enough to win at this game you dislike- that you only dislike the game because you're not winning, not because you think it's a shit game, which is ironic because if you cared at all about winning you would certainly be trying harder. What you really want is an entirely new context or lack thereof, where you stand in the game becomes all but irrelevant save for really bad stimuli you can't control.

I think the idea is the rejection of the context of life on the whole, not your place within it. And rejecting being bullied by positive/negative stimuli, coercion, etc. into accepting the notion that you need to find a place to begin with, that you need to make do with what life feeds you.

This notion of giving up vs not giving up, doesn't jive with me. How can you be giving up when there's nothing of value to give up on, when you see it as just a shitty game? Why aren't people allowed to move on? Why is being locked in a perpetual state of living here, like this, venerated? Smells fishy
>>
>>24391702
Not at all, I always thought my brain just had a different "hardware", it's ok.

>>24391714
I've been like this for 27 years, nothing new. And I wouldn't be jelly if I was you, trust me.
>>
>>24392109
I'm actually, sincerely terrified of this
And think you might be the universe/devil trying to troll my

>mfw suicide attempts that should have killed me but apparently didn't
>mfw the world is becoming more hellish, post-ironic and ridiculous each passing day, slowly and surely enough to make me doubt my perceptions and constantly ebb and flow between sanity and potentially delusional conviction

It's a slow poison
Whoever set up this trap thought it out well, and this surely is not the worst of it
>>
>>24392273
if existence is such a grand burden upon you, then just kill yourself already.

after all according to you, the more you delay your own non-existence, the more you add to the overall misery of this world.
>>
>>24392273
You just put this all into a new light for me, thanks. I never realized it was life in general that people didn't like, I always never made the distinction between that and hating their own life.

I can relate to people berating you for not playing the game, or following the life script or whatever. It's shitty how we aren't just forced into life, but basically forced into living a specific kind of life.

I can also understand how the giving up vs not giving up doesn't make sense to some, but it does to me so I figured I'd throw it out there.
>>
>>24392385
I can't
It's not worth the grief it would cause loved ones

I think leaving would cause more pain to others than staying, so long as I remain mostly unobtrusive and stick to a vegan diet

Also I am afraid. I don't know what lies outside all of this, but I think when push comes to shove I'll be able to bite the bullet.

Does it bother you that I haven't killed myself yet?
>>
>>24388820
Maybe it's them that see something you cannot. Instead of telling yourself that you are the only one among the sheeple who can see the "truth", why not to actually interact with some of these people? If you get rid of the "normies vs me" dichotomy I think you'll see that relating to people isn't so hard.
>>
>>24392524
>Does it bother you that I haven't killed myself yet?
i don't really give a shit either way. i'm a very selfish individual; that's why all your rants above hold no weight with me.

you just seem to be whining a whole lot about a supposed "problem" when there's an easy and obvious solution right in front of you.

>I think leaving would cause more pain to others than staying
how do you measure that, anyway?
>>
>>24391444

>net happiness has increased

Wow you couldn't be more wrong. Net happiness for a few select humans born in the right country maybe. But the animals don't know how good they have it. And still, most don't see daylight outside the factory. Most don't live in healthy conditions and a huge amount (looking at you china) get tortured before death. This happens daily.

A pack of lions kill once every few weeks, but they can go for a month on very little.

Bears, tigers, sharks, fuck even dinosaurs didn't slaughter in the billions like we do.

I'm no vegetarian. But you'd have to be completely delusional or retarded to not see that the amount of suffering on this planet as a whole has gone up since we became the dominating species.
>>
>>24392628
>that's why all your rants above hold no weight with me
There is no point in communicating with someone who actively chooses to be dismissive. At this point I suppose I'm speaking only to clarify my own thoughts to myself. I must be selfish as well.

>when there's an easy and obvious solution right in front of you.
The solution is neither easy or obvious
The fact that there is a problem in the first place makes no sense

>how do you measure that, anyway?
Guessing probable outcomes based on what I experience to be true right now
If I died it would completely wreck at least one person's life
If I don't die, the worst I would directly cause, barring some improbable accident, is annoyance to people on the internet and a drain on physical resources.
>>
>>24391747
I don't really "care". It's not like I'm doing anything about it. I'm just making observations in hopes that someone has seen from the same perspective. That's really all I'd want anyways, for people to acknowledge how fucking terrible the world really is so we can move on to fixing it. I'd be more than willing to stop being a NEET and contribute to society in a meeningful way that would actually make a real difference. But the sad truth is I'll just end up working for some rich fuck who will use my labor as means for financial and personal gain. So until shit changes, I'm gonna be the neet guy looking out his bedroom window watching the world fight with itself.
>>
>>24393234
No, actually I think you're right.
In terms of overall suffering my presence here causes a lot more than I believe it would if I killed myself, even with grief thrown into the equation. It's just a lot more invisible, less palpable. And it doesn't happen to people who I care about.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.