[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What killed the Internet /r9k/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: Internet-firstdiscovery.jpg (58 KB, 404x475) Image search: [Google]
Internet-firstdiscovery.jpg
58 KB, 404x475
What killed the Internet /r9k/?
>>
>>24377403
Social media websites.
>>
>>24377403
It became acceptable normalfag culture around 2007.
>>
>>24377424
this

ORIGINAL COMMENT
>>
>>24377424
This and the associated data mining/ surveillance.
>>
>>24377403
Social acceptance making it okay for the average person to use making it profitable which caused it to fill with mediocre stuff pandered at the average person. It's happened to so many different things that it's safe to say that popularity ruins things.
>>
File: 1420165083470.jpg (28 KB, 360x517) Image search: [Google]
1420165083470.jpg
28 KB, 360x517
I wonder who...
>>
>>24377559
Knowledge of data mining and surveillance didn't actually change people's behavior on line much, except for a few tin-foil types.

If it did, it would probably scare people away from social media, which would improve the internet.
>>
It's not just the internet. Any group that is exposed to the masses becomes shit eventually. The only way to prevent floods of stupid people is by screening.

This is done by wealth (subscriptions), invitation (inside friends), and rule enforcement (bans and such)
>>
File: mark-zuckerberg_3249.jpg (416 KB, 1067x1600) Image search: [Google]
mark-zuckerberg_3249.jpg
416 KB, 1067x1600
>>24377575
>mfw you're actually right
>>
>>24377712
>wealth is an effective filter of idiots
>>
Actually, it was sites like 4chan that did it. Not all 4chan, but a lot of it.

When I was kid, the internet was a big static thing that you needed money to be a part of. I had to buy a domain, buy webspace, and learn how to make internet. then user contributed internet came along and everyone could make a page and have an online presence. Shit like youtube and facebook made it worse.

the best interest is one that only smart people with money have access to.
>>
>>24377746
I never said it was the most effective
>>
>>24377424
The only right answer here.
>>
Social media
Corporate control (google and the like)
Centralization of most of the internet's traffic to a few brand name websites, caused mostly by the above as well as sheer laziness
>>
>>24377712
>>24377908
>implying people with money didn't destroy the internet
With the internet becoming socially acceptable rich people used it to make profit bringing in more stupid normies and flooding the place with mediocre trash
>>
>>24377908
>the best interest is one that only smart people with money have access to.

I agree on the smart part, that's why I hoe PCs don't ever fully easy to build, I want it complicated so it's an achievement, it's the same with shitty game engines that are super easy, it just take out the accomplishment
>>
File: peppapepe.png (486 KB, 640x820) Image search: [Google]
peppapepe.png
486 KB, 640x820
>tfw my dank memes killed the www
>>
>>24377403
Newfags like you do
>>
>>24377403

Design for mobile browsers...

Content becoming tailored for mobile users (digestible in a short amount of time, not really discussion based)

Social media.

This boiled over around 2011.
>>
File: image.jpg (265 KB, 700x1058) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
265 KB, 700x1058
>>24377424
This. And the new technology that makes it easier to use the Internet.

The internet used to be for weirdos, people with off beat interests, creatives, or otherwise people determined enough to use Internet back in the day.

Now any normie with a cell phone can use the web freely. It used to be more difficult if you didn't understand computers.
>>
>>24378287
>implying google isn't the best software ever
>>
>>24378573
>implying Google is a piece of software
>>
>>24378573
No it totally is
But google results are becoming increasingly homogenous
Plus now search results are adapted to your previous search history, so the more you use it the more homogenized your search results become
It's why I use ddg desu
>>
>>24377712
>This is done by wealth (subscriptions)
bourgeois GET OUT
REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Can't really believe this is a thing. The Internet isn't dead. It's better than its ever been. Still wide the fuck open, only is faster and more accessible. It's only dead to fedora tippers who shun anything that gains popularity. Keep the Internet exclusive, and all the benefits you do have would never have been.
>>
>>24377403
Browser wars kept us thinking the web was hot shit. Markup languages are the root of all evil.
>>
Normalfags that decided they wanted the internet to be an extension of real life instead of a separate reality.
>>
>>24377403
Facebook (other soc scum websites didn't affect it that much), marketing (just like with music before, genre pops out, moneymakers occupy it)
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.