[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I live in NYC and was wondering if it's possible to live
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: bigselfshottits01-250x333.jpg (22 KB, 250x333) Image search: [Google]
bigselfshottits01-250x333.jpg
22 KB, 250x333
I live in NYC and was wondering if it's possible to live there on a low wage. I mean there's no way that every doorman, waiter, and janitor lives with their mom still
>>
>>24370456
>poor outer boroughs
>extensive mass transit system
>>
>>24370465
So all I have to do is live in Brooklyn?

Why does everyone mention the commute couldn't you get a job in Brooklyn
>>
>>24370456

Some do, others live in shitty, tiny apartments in bad neighborhoods with roommates to split the costs. Welcome to reality, it sucks to be at the bottom
>>
>>24370511
I have no problem with a tiny apartment or even a closet space. I have a weird monk attitude where stuff like that doesn't bother me much.
>>
File: 1439511816075.jpg (23 KB, 233x339) Image search: [Google]
1439511816075.jpg
23 KB, 233x339
>>24370456
>Doorman
>low wage

Anon...
>>
>>24370561
What do you mean senpai

This mute feature is useless fyi
>>
>>24370552
>I have no problem with a tiny apartment or even a closet space
You would if it meant you would get shanked, shot or raped on your way home.
The tiny space it self isn't the big problem, the crime is.
>>
>>24370621
let me spell it out for you

you will never be able to make a living or live on your own in a "my first job!" position.
you need a degree, and also NYC is pretty much one of the most ridiculously expensive places to live in the US. so even with a degree it's questionable.

Your best bet would be to go into a trade school and learn skills of value and take a job elsewhere, pack up and get the fuck outta NY.
>>
>>24370733
So there's no way to live there? I highly doubt that you need a degree and years of interning just to live in a dump apartment.

>>24370679
I don't fear death
>>
>>24370733
I found rooms in bedstuy and crown heights for 750-900 a month

Doesn't seem too bad
>>
>>24370760
>So there's no way to live there? I highly doubt that you need a degree and years of interning just to live in a dump apartment.
You would be very surprised. It is not as bad as San Francisco where 80k a year is considered poverty level though.
>>
>>24370817
So all the affordable rooms on craigslist are scams?
>>
>>24370760
>>24370789
why subject yourself to shitty environments where you will be made further miserable by just living there? it's really not worth it. you're better off staying with your family than struggling to make ends meet in some shithole.

>>24370839
you also may be killed and have your organs harvested fyi

but how much do you make an hour and average a week?
>>
>>24370879
Independence in the big city is the only thing that will make me happy

The job I'm qualified for right now pays 13/hr and it's 40 hours a week so probably like 2k a monthish
>>
>>24370879
Hey I don't think every organ harvester is poor
>>
>>24370456
Don't listen to these slucks op. They reek of rich white boys who have no idea how to live outside of their comfy rural homes with mommy or in rich kid dorms. You can live there fine. Learn to be frugal, look for pay increases wherever you can. Save on electric. Save on water. Save on transport. Save on food. It can be done.
>>
>>24370505
>thinking Brooklyn is still a cheap place to live

Top fucking kek m8. There are parts of bk more expensive than most of Manhattan. If you don't mind living way the fuck out there in the ghetto amongst the worst kid of niggers and spics then yea, it can be cheap in some areas. Either that or have three or four roommates.

Also, more people work in Manhattan because the jobs in Bk don't pay as much generally and there are fewer of them.
>>
>>24370983
So get 4 roommates in a Mexican town and I'm fine? That doesn't sound bad at all. Much better than the Midwest.
>>
>>24370983
Stop sounding pretentious over Brooklyn everyone knows manhattan is better and costs more
>>
>>24371060
Of course Manhattan is better. My point was that the only good places in bk are just as expensive as Manhattan. If op wants to live in bk, he's gotta know that all the good parts have rent just as bad as Manhattan and shouldn't get his hopes up.
>>
>>24370918
I lived in NYC (off Madison in a brownstone) from 1999-2003 before leaving. Average monthly apartment was $3k+ for a one bedroom place.

NYC is extremely expensive because it is a small area with a concentration of the very wealthy that want to live near where they work. Because they have satellite industries built around their convenience, even your doorman with the shitty apartment on the lower east side like Canal or FDR (not the trendy hipster part just off the East River or something) is still splitting a 2 bedroom with at least someone else for $1.5k+ and up.

then there's the crime and generally shitty people, the shitty work situation, the shitty environment, and everything is stupidly expensive for the most basic of amenities.

if you aren't making $50k+ you will be living close to poverty-level.
>>
File: 1426223546610.jpg (35 KB, 444x444) Image search: [Google]
1426223546610.jpg
35 KB, 444x444
>>24370456
>>24370561

>tfw doorman
>tfw about to be working 12am to 8am
>tfw about to play vidya all night

who /excited/ here?
>>
>living in a big city, NYC especially.

Do you like feeling like cattle?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.