[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I change my major from engineering science to mathmatics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: college.jpg (627 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
college.jpg
627 KB, 1000x667
Should I change my major from engineering science to mathmatics? I'm a freshman in college and I'm doing well in all my classes, calculus is my favorite, while shit like Matlab and inventor make me want to put a bullet in my brain. I figure that if I'm going to switch majors I should do it as early as possible.
>>
>calculus is my favorite

Oh the memories
>Get into good engineering school as a Humanities major
>Immediately try to transfer into any engineering
>Fail Calc I, three times
>Teaching Assistants have no response to my inability to perform basic arithmetic with consistency

>Take Computer Science
>Get up to Recursion and multi-library use in Java
>A+ in a B-average class
>Next class is Discrete Proofs
>Fail it three times also

>Take ECE 101
>Also fail it
>etc. etc.

>Graduate with 3.0 GPA in History
>Don't even like History
>Get a job at McDonalds
>Never Quit

At this point, my parents are considering throwing me out even though I work 12-16 hours days between two jobs, because I make minimum wage at both and they see my living here as making me too comfortable.

I took a career quiz the other day, and I liked so few of the options that the program could not even generate possible careers.
>>
>>24368865
Switch to math but minor in engineering. If you don't like it switch back to engineering and minor in math
Nothing is wasted
>>
nah keep at it and minor in math. It will get more theoretical and harder as time goes on.
>>
should i switch from getting a BA in Psychlogy to doing a degree in business?

i kinda want to try out for law school afterwards.

but im in a shit uni (ranked around 500)

what do i do, r9k
>>
>>24368865
I started as engineering, did well, had a couple of internships.

Then I realized I didn't want to be an engineer any longer than I had to be. I was able to switch to business management and focus in operations.

If you switch, make sure it's for the right reasons. Find something you're passionate in but not a completely worthless degree.
>>
I want to major in Physics/Math/Engineering but im currently a Geography Major. Im barely able to do basic college algebra (passed with a C). Cant remember shit about how to do anything and its annoying. Now im more realistic and thinking of getting a Political Science/Geography Dual degree with a minor in something semi transferable to the real work like business.
>>
>>24369707
Passion is the reason why I wanted to switch to math. I realized today that the only reason I chose engineering science was because it is safe and pays well and didn't sound too hard. I really don't care at all about engineering. I have been good at math since I was young, and have realized recently that I actually enjoy solving equations, even find it slightly relaxing. I just figure that I'll be infinitely better off doing this then something I picked literally for money/ parental approval.
>>
>>24369961
If you're being completely serious about the alebra thing then I'm sorry but engineering and especially physics is probably not for you.

High level math is the bare minimum requirement to even do many physics problems past the first and second semester calculus based physics courses. To my understanding differential equations and linear algebra along with some grad courses in math are your bread and butter.

Engineering doesn't get much more challanging than differential equations, but it's so heavy on calculus that if you have trouble with alegebra I would recomend against it.

Now, that's not to say it isnt possible, but the level of work you'll have to put in is much much greater than the other students to actually understand how to work the problems.
Also, whatever engineering major you're interested in, the actual engineering is the heavy theory side. If you want hands on stuff, do that engineering tech.
>>
>>24369973
That's basically why I chose it. Also, I had the amazing grades in high school and enjoyed the AP calc and physics courses the most. But since I was the first person in my family to go to college I didn't have much guidance in choosing my college path.

How many 18 year old highschool graduates can confidently say they want to be a "biophysiomechatronic chemical engineer" while knowing exactly what that entails? Most of my classmates came from engineering families and grew up with that sort of thinking and had someone to "talk engineering" with. My parents didn't even understand what I was doing.

Two years into my degree I realized I wasn't as passionate about it as my classmates were outside of class. I was always into business.

>picked literally for money/ parental approval.
Good on you for figuring that out. My advice is to talk with your best college friends and people that truly know you and figure out a where your passion lies and how to form a career path from that. Then find a mentor that has done something similar and use him for guidance.
>>
>>24370116
>Also, whatever engineering major you're interested in, the actual engineering is the heavy theory side. If you want hands on stuff, do that engineering tech.

Most go in and get the engineering degree, then go into those tech roles or sales/management roles anyways.
>>
how prestigious of a degree is engineering? From what I know its upper-tier just below med/law

Some people laugh at it on this board and some people say its difficult and requires high level maths/thinking

Engineering doesn't have that same 'wow' when you tell someone you study it, as you would when you say you're studying med/law, but how much respect does it demand?
>>
>>24370617
As much as you're willing to convince people it does.
>>
>>24368865
You'd probably enjoy applied maths. It has a bit of programming and you get deal with lots of differential equations (partial/advanced ordinary) and transforms.

I'd say study in Applied Maths and minor in computer science.

I'm a full maths major (pure and applied). I changed from a dual engineering and physics major and I'm loving it. Engineering is boring and as for physics I really don't find it challenging at all. In senior year of physics, you'll get to compute, and evaluate seven fold integrals; their easy as fuck, but the lab work/reports are annoying as fuck.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.