[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it about Star Wars that allows it to transcend the normie/nerd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: starwars.jpg (2 MB, 1458x2160) Image search: [Google]
starwars.jpg
2 MB, 1458x2160
What is it about Star Wars that allows it to transcend the normie/nerd barrier? I mean, for fucks sake you could go to a normie Halloween party dressed as a stormtrooper and nobody would give a fuck. And it's not just that it is a really popular movie series. Let's take Lord of the Rings as another example. It's also a tremendously popular movie series, but go just a tiny little bit into a LotR discussion with someone and you will be labeled a nerd by normies who will overhear your conversation.

For example, just say that your favourite character from LotR is Aragorn, and I can already imagine a normie overhearing you saying that thinking you're a kissless virgin.

But Star Wars? Nooooo...everybody knows Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, stormstroopers, Han Solo, Millenium Falcon, etc.

>Yoda? He's that little green guy right? Yeah dude he's sooo cool man hahaha.

>Gandalf? What the fuck is that? What are you a nerd, lol?

Keep in mind I'm talking about full blown, 100% normies. Not even these are affected by Star Wars for some reason, since apparently it's cool to be a Star Wars fan. How did George Lucas and Hollywood manage to pull this shit off?
>>
Star wars is from the 70s, so there's a retro cool factor and a nostalgia factor: we all watched it as kids, so it can't be nerdy.

The lotr films are a lot newer than that.

I would speculate that star wars wouldve been uncool c. 1980, or maybe not because those kinds of deep lore sci fi things were still new.
>>
>>24365244
the normie/nerd barrier is a spook desu.
>>
>>24365382

Lord of the Rings is from the 50s.
>>
>>24365441
the books were written just after world war one. there were movies in the 70s or 80s but they fucking sucked and then the good ones came out in the 2000s but its fucking old
>>
File: ainsleyharriott.jpg (81 KB, 649x960) Image search: [Google]
ainsleyharriott.jpg
81 KB, 649x960
It's all the more impressive that Star Wars managed to be cool when they 3 most recent movies were considered to be pretty bad.
>>
>>24365512

fucking shit trash
>>
>>24365244
>What is it about Star Wars that allows it to transcend the normie/nerd barrier?
Nothing. It's a normie thing. Sorry m9
>>
>>24365244
I feel like most people would know gandalf. If only because of memes
>>
>>24365495

The Silmarillion and middle Earth as we know it was conceived by Tolkien in the trenches of WWI, but he didn't begin working on LOTR until the 40s.
>>
If the Star Wars movies would be released today they would be a huge blunder, they are really shit desu
>>
>>24365441
> The lotr films
>>
>>24365654
if the Bible were released today it'd be a shitty and too long self help book.

Shit's judged by its own time's standards and Star Wars films were more than OK films for their time. Not master pieces, sure, but good enough to become classics.
>>
>>24365713
I dont know man, many of the bibles story are better than Star Wars.
>>
File: cavePainting.gif (37 KB, 400x250) Image search: [Google]
cavePainting.gif
37 KB, 400x250
>>24365713
If pic related were released today it would be criticized for its two dimensional characters and dull plot. But at the time it was an instant cult favourite.
>>
>>24365244

There are certain transcendental themes that appeal to everyone at a deep level because the deepest part of our soul recognizes them as the hidden truth that we all desperately wish to awaken to.

In Star Wars it's the concept of the Force: an underlying mystical power that exists in everyone and makes all things possible. When people hear that, they feel a tug in their soul; a part of you starts to remember. It's also the reason everyone hated the idea of "midichlorians" - that was George Lucas being a bonehead who didn't understand why his mythology was popular and ruining it. Similar with the Matrix: the idea of being "The One," and realizing that all of reality is a dream from which you can wake up, after which you will be God. Most really popular movie franchises hit on these sorts of themes. There's a lot of occultists in Hollywood, and they love to put this sort of Hermetic/Taoist symbology in their work.
>>
LoTR swings too far into fantasy geekdom and a lot of people are turned off by that

star wars doesn't really have the same level of geekdom in the movies themselves. most people can just watch them and enjoy them for what they are, pretty simple stories with some space shit. i think that's how it broke the 'normie' barrier, it's just a very simple story.

LoTR follows a lot of characters, has walking trees, a big bad guy that never shows up and is a dismembered eye in the sky, wizards, elves...

if you can't see why some people will just not enjoy that stuff i don't know what to tell you

also the eagles could have just flown them to the volcano :)
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.