[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you deal with the realization that you aren't that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 433x491) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 433x491
How do you deal with the realization that you aren't that smart. All my life I did bad in school and had trouble focusing but I always felt I was special. I thought I thought about things differently then most people and thought I had a unique perspective on things. For years I always thought i was either crazy or a genius, either years ahead of my time or years behind. But now im realizing that I'm just not THAT smart. Im not an idiot, and I can understand abstract ideas. But I don't know if I can actually create my own. I'm above average but I'm not really a smart person. I make the same mistakes everyone else does and the repercussions seem to hit me twice as hard. I never learn, I never grow, I only repeat the mistakes I made yesterday. How do I break the cycle? Is there hope for me? (Im 20 btw)
>>
Seems to me you just never really applied yourself to learning something.
>>
>>24360881
You're probably right. I've been focusing on music for a long time and I think that specifically is hitting me the hardest out of all of this because I just don't think my songs are that good and I feel like I'm ok but im not adding anything new to the mix. I'm slightly above mediocre but I feel this constant need to prove to myself im better than that, I just don't know if I am
>>
>>24360934
>I just don't think my songs are that good
You're 20. How many non-meme or non jew sponsored artists made a breakthrough at that age?
Just take it slow. Also you need a backup plan.
>>
>>24361030
Yeah I always tell myself that but then if you look at someone like Brian Wilson he wrote Surfer Girl at 18 and Pet Sounds at 23. I'm in school for audio engineering which is sort of my backup plan
>>
>>24361149
wew lad, talk about high expectations.
Try to focus more on enjoying your hobby, and not comparing yourself to the greats of the music industry.
>>
>>24361149
This isnt op.
I cant believe people still fall for this tripfag
>>
>>24361244
I know it's illogical but I feel like if I don't at least TRY to get to that level then there isn't really a point in doing any of this. I'm not saying I'd be upset if I didn't reach that kind of skill/acclaim, but I feel like I should at least try. It's not like ive got anything better to do
>>
File: 1447453335757.jpg (51 KB, 445x960) Image search: [Google]
1447453335757.jpg
51 KB, 445x960
Too be quite honest I came to this realization and am not too upset about it. I think that as a general rule people are either stupid or they're not. Yes, there are a few exceptions in the form of exceptionally smart people, but I'd say most of the time people are going to be about the same intelligence with different strengths and weaknesses. Basically what I'm getting at is if you're not stupid you're fine.
>>
>>24360809
For me it was pretty much a loss of an identity.
In school I was pretty smart, definitely smarter than my friends, especially in schience subjects. It wasn't just about helping them with tests, it was who I knew I was and it was what kind of gave me my value.

Once I went to university, the first two week were like a punch in the stomach for me. Not only did I not understand anything in lectures, I had no idea how to interact with others. I might sound autistic, but when it seemed that everyone is much smarter than I was, I didn't know why they would even want to talk to me, or be in the same study group with me.

I still haven't really recovered from that tbqh, 4 years later. Unfortunately I had no idea what else to do, so I stuck around. But even now, I don't really have a personality.
>>
>>24361149
>>24361244
>surfer girl
>greats of the musikk industri

If writing surfer girl at the age of 18 is an amazing feat in your eyes, just fucking end yourself, plz
>>
>>24361803
Man that sucks. University was the opposite for me. In highshool I came close to killing myself so many times and I fucking hated myself. But now I'm in university I've accepted that I'm a fairly cool guy and I just feel way more comfortable.
>>
i had the same problem. then i began to try. now i realise that average intelligence is not as restrictive as people often think.
you were arrogant before, op, but now you are being self-abasing. you will never know the upper limits of your intellect until you try hard at something, for a long time. its like exercise - don't expect to understand the phenomenology of spirit on the first go, but likewise don't imagine it is out of your reach.
>>
>>24361803
I think you'll be ok. Just try to put yourself out there and be willing to talk to people. Hopefully one day you'll meet someone you have a lot in common with. But I feel like a lot of people are usually incompatible so it'll take time
>>
>>24361900
I'd like to see you try and write a harmony part like that. Keep in mind that the beach boys were already pretty popular by the time that song came out. His brother was like 16 when they were world famous
>>
>>24360809
I already know I'm an idiot and accepted it
>>
>>24360809
bitch please I have a 144 IQ
>>
>>24361932
Yooo that's a very good way of putting it. I feel like critical thinking is something that really defines smart people and it is also something that can be obtained through effort and practice.
>>
File: 1412411643867.jpg (23 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1412411643867.jpg
23 KB, 400x388
>>24361900
>still being at the point of thinking you're cool for discrediting dadrock because /mu/ told you so.
I hope you're having fun grinding through the "essentials chart", newfriendo.
>>
>>24361932
That's a really good point. I think you're spot on. You're a smart fella
>>
>>24361986
?
You gotta get out of your house some more. I love Beach Boys, but using that song as an example of young talent is bullshit. Besides some choiring, there's barely anything happening. The melody is simple, the text is simple, nothing going on that requires any gift or talent
>>
>>24361957
What do you even listen to? I could slap together harmonies like that any hour of the day
>>
What dimension are you in where 18 year olds write better songs than Surfer Girl
>>
>>24362302
Surfer Girl is a great song, also he said that the melody just popped into his head one day. The lyrics may not be groundbreaking but the beach boys were never centered around lyrics, their charm is in the harmonies and production
>>
>>24362419
I listen to the beach boys, and fine prove it faggot. Write something better and post results here
>>
>>24362533
Yeah, gotta love me some extra whiny ballads
>>
>>24362562
I'm not trying to prove my musicianship, i'm just baffled that's the song you choose when it's so fucking basic. It's not Even among their top ten imo, and you use it as an example of talent.
>>
>>24362900
It's not his best song but it's a good song, and he wrote it at a pretty young age, he didn't make his best shit til His 20's
>>
If it makes you feel better I have a genius IQ and am about to get a master's degrees at 21 and am mentally falling apart and hallucinate and abuse drugs and am missing days of class and work and think about suicide all the time. Intelligence isn't everything. It doesn't help with fucked in the head syndrome.
>>
>>24360809
I used to be a bit like that. In high school all I cared about was skateboarding, graffiti, playing guitar, and checking out hot white girls. Then college hit and my parents divorced. I gave up most of my shenanigans and got my text books and put away my laptop. For a couple years I would just focus on reading and doing class work and my break time would consist of reading philosophy. It was around this time several professors notice my mathematical abilities and one even offered me a seat in a biostat Ph.D program under the condition that I assist him in doing research. I bailed out though because, frankly, at that time I didn't gave a shit and I still had some delusions about being a rockstar. Now I'm sitting here on r 9 gay while working at some startup unpaid. Such is life.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.