[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am 20 years old and finally got my 1st ever job. I am a cart
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8
File: 1438344224699.jpg (291 KB, 1409x1598) Image search: [Google]
1438344224699.jpg
291 KB, 1409x1598
I am 20 years old and finally got my 1st ever job. I am a cart pusher for a supermarket. My parents told me to quit because it is too much. It pays absolute minimum wage and I am out in the sun all day. I make the same as other cashiers, but cashiers get an extra break. I live in one of the biggest cities in America so obviously I never have time to just slack off since carts are always flying out. I limp at home after my shift. I did further research and found its a dead end job. So I want advice from other ex-NEETs. Should I quit or get /fit/? If I were to quit, for how long should I wait so I can use my 1st job as a proper reference? I don't want to look like a quitter in front of any potential employers
>>
>>24338572
You had to do research to figure out that being a cart pusher was a dead end job? I'm lmaoing at your life
>>
>>24338572
Keep job but search for a better job while working current job and don't burn any bridges.
>>
>>24338659
This is the only proper solution
>>
>>24338631
I started laughing at that too, sorry op but you should have clued in WAY earlier that pushing carts wasn't gonna be a path to advance
>>
>>24338631
>>24338678
fucking normies
>>24338659
>>24338676
yeah i guess thats my only choice now. thanks. cant wait to just stand around like those cashierfags
>>
>>24338704
lol keep pushing those carts you fucking loser
>>
>>24338678
>>24338631
>Not knowing the essential /CART/ career path

Junior cart pusher
Senior cart pusher
Cart manager
Cart director
Regional head of carts
Global cart CEO
>>
File: 1420042824658.png (122 KB, 500x453) Image search: [Google]
1420042824658.png
122 KB, 500x453
>>24338572
I was in the same situation about 6 years ago. Pushed carts because its all they had at the time. It shows that you are driven and have a desire to work.

After a few months of pushing carts in the subfreezing temperatures with slush and all sorts of shit (it was the worst winter we had in a long time) I got a new position stocking shelves overnight. You need to push for a promotion. Make them aware you want to advance, and hound them at least once per work week about it.

After 6 months of overnight stocking a position opened up for overnight manager. With this literally being my first documented job, even at the age of around 23, I talked my way into an interview and got the management position after being relentless about it but respectful when my advances were declined, maintaining an outwardly positive attitude.

Just be dedicated to your work, however stupid it is. At least take pride in the fact you are working.

Also, I quit the job after a few months because fuck working for a corporation. They pleaded with me to stay at first but I hated it and all the people there. Kek. Plus I had accumulated 33k in debt from having my appendix removed, and quitting allowed me to re-apply for financial aid for the surgery and bring the tab down to 1.5k (hurrdurr murrican healthcare) Which I never paid, because fuck that
>>
>>24338990
>have to quit your job to afford surgery

What the fuck is wrong with our country?
>>
>>24338762
when op makes regional head of carts he'll be wiping that smug grin off your face, normo
>>
>>24338572
Anon I hope you realise that by accepting this cart pushing job you have now solidified this as a benchmark of your value and worth. You have now literally doomed yourself to manual labour for the rest of your life. Enjoy your youth while it lasts, when you are 60 and still pushing carts in a freezing warehouse you will think of this post. P.S. here in the UK we actually have robots in major supermarkets that do your job with a person that walks alongside the machine to ensure it doesn't kill children. Think about that.
>>
File: 1447336822826.jpg (48 KB, 640x484) Image search: [Google]
1447336822826.jpg
48 KB, 640x484
>>24339098
Thats what the fuck I was wondering....its insane. Thanks to being in that position for over a month my income was counted as well above the financial assistance, despite having just started the position and having no savings.

Options were to pay payments over YEARS,living in massive debt on a lower management income of around 25k per year minus living expenses (leaving little extra) Would have taken many years of not being able to save any money. Having all the increased stress of working over idiots and never getting your work done, feeling unfulfilled and unhappy.

Or

Quit job, re-apply for aid at the hospital and knock off around 31 thousand dollars and find a new shit job with less stress.

I chose the latter obviously.

Pic related
>mfw muurican healthcare literally rewards you for quitting and encourages leeching off the system
>>
>>24338990
>never paid
Good job, anon. I'd never pay if I had some minor surgery.
>>
>be 19
>just got 2nd job
>pays $16 an hour
>in a town where average family income is 40K
College is for keks
>>
>>24339258

bruh

>Grew up with a single mother on food stamps and government subsidized housing
>Think 'meh murrican dream' and get a job at 16 while in high school
>Come age 18 get a letter from the state "because you have an adult living in your home, we will be raising your rent and lowering your food stamps. You can contribute the equivalent portion of income."
>mfw working provides no relief from poverty and our system of welfare is a trap.

Now I'm in college and looking forward to the student loans I'll be paying off my entire life. Whatever happened to the "work hard and improve your life" meme that was fed to us in elementary school.
>>
>>24338572
I respect you a lot. You're like a fucking idol to me.
>>
>>24338572
Idk op, but I just started my new mcjob today and I'm loving it, no pun intended. I feel great after actually spending my day doing something and making money instead of wasting it all shitposting. Staying neet for so long was a mistake.
>>
File: 1437180581165.jpg (78 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1437180581165.jpg
78 KB, 500x500
>>24339515
>expecting me to pay a 1.5k debt when my income from my new minimum wage job was around a net of +50 USD per month

No thanks, Id rather not give the government every penny I have for 3 years while slaving away with no disposable income. Hospitals sell their debt off to debt collectors who try to coerce you into thinking you have to pay them or they will take legal action, so I'm not screwing over anyone (besides the fact hospital fees are ridiculously expensive, and I'm not taking the money out of anyones pockets who it actually hurts firsthand, all just giant millionaire corporations)

Kek, I told them to fuck off. Take me to court over 1.5k, I'll have a good laugh telling them once again that money doesnt magically grow on trees and I cant pay you something I don't have.
>>
>>24339814
I've always heard that if you have no job, or at least show the little amount you make, they'll just say fuck it and cut their losses since the fight isn't worth it. I'd feel a bit obligated to pay if the surgery saved my life or something fatal like that, but even then it'd be very little.
Appendix removed or something like that? Minor shit? No way.
>>
>>24339662
It was really the work hard and support our retirement meme the boomers told us
>>
File: 1412389896913.gif (616 KB, 269x202) Image search: [Google]
1412389896913.gif
616 KB, 269x202
>>24339897
Appendix had almost burst and I would have died from infection.

Regardless, I really couldnt care less. American healthcare is a joke. Either pay tons for insurance or have none and pay tons when you need healthcare. If you are working min wage jobs you can't afford either at all.

Insurance companies literally just offer hospitals less money for a procedure or service. So I'm expected to pay someone a large fee constantly, just in case I get sick, just for them to negotiate a price that is inflated on purpose to leave wiggle room for negotiation...lol fuck that. Its a goddamned racket, and I'll gladly circumvent it.
>>
File: 1446603981196.jpg (9 KB, 250x232) Image search: [Google]
1446603981196.jpg
9 KB, 250x232
>>24338990
>33k for appendix surgery
Are you kidding me?
>>
>>24340047
>can't afford insurance
>hospital expects you to pay their bills anyway
Fucking delusional, the lot of 'em.
Glad that you're okay though, anon.
>>
File: 131665000e1572.png (188 KB, 424x470) Image search: [Google]
131665000e1572.png
188 KB, 424x470
>>24340058
Real talk Fampai

>>24340110
Yeah, Its unbelievable.
>>
File: 1446574741720.jpg (298 KB, 1462x1462) Image search: [Google]
1446574741720.jpg
298 KB, 1462x1462
>reading this thread
>got apendix removed at 10 age for 0 cost
>>
>>24338572
Huh. I'm a fellow cart-schleper and I'm making 9 an hour, which still isn't great but better than minimum. It's a tough ass job but in the town I live there isn't else to work, so. Definitely wanna move when I can but I need the money to do literally anything since I don't have priveleged parents or any shit like that. See if you can take it part time so you can figure something else out in the meantime.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.