[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what language should i learn if i want to be successful? chinese/arab/russian/japanese/hebre
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: --.jpg (271 KB, 1052x701) Image search: [Google]
--.jpg
271 KB, 1052x701
what language should i learn if i want to be successful? chinese/arab/russian/japanese/hebrew :^)
>>
Java.

muted for fag content
>>
File: man-holding-head.jpg (111 KB, 955x800) Image search: [Google]
man-holding-head.jpg
111 KB, 955x800
>>24338105
Java? I thought they speak Indonesian there?
>>
Well you're going to have to be more specific than that. I'd recommend Italian but I'm just a faggot
>>
Chinese.

I'm studying Japanese, though.
>>
>>24338082

french +original post
>>
>>24338082
body language
>>
>>24338082
All of those, except japanese, have great uses and unique literature/content.

As far as programming, a good programmer should be able to pick up a new language in less than a week, most other code-monkey tasks are a matter of googling and digging through references and manuals.
>>
>>24338082
Depends on what you want to do. I don't think simply learning a language for no reason will by itself make you "successful," whatever that means. But I will say Japanese. Japan is still the world's 3rd biggest economy, and I feel like Japanese is the most "prestigious" of all the languages you listed, as almost the whole world has a good opinion of Japan.
>>
>>24339038
Have you heard of China and Korea?
>>
>>24338226
Why not Japanese?
>>
>>24338082
Business in general (especially auto): German/ Mandarin
Construction, landscaping:spanish
Military:arabic/russian/german
Overall: mandarin
But you cant just go and learn it. Build up to it with easier languages. I would go
German (simaler to english, easy to learn)to Russian (new alphabet, intermediate) To mandarin (I said shoe, not rape)

Source: Speak german fluently, russian conversationally, learning arabic for the military, mandarin after that

>pic related, the fine men I will be fighting with
>>
Esperanto
>>
>>24338176
>>24339994
fuck off you filthy weaboo
>>
>>24338082
If you want to be successful, you should probably learn English.
>>
>>24338082

English comes to mind.
If you already masters english, then I would say to look at the foreign contries with which your own country works the most. If you're french, learning german makes sense (just in case), if you're indonesian, not so much.
>>
>>24338082
Arab which will be the official language of the EU in less than 15 years realistically.
>>
>>24338082
Learn Chinese.

Japanese is a meme language
Arabic is useless
Russian is useless
Hebrew is only useful for Jewfags like me who visit Israel from time to time, no practical business use at the moment.
>>
>>24341182
Chinese is the japanese of the 21st century. In 20 years people will laugh at how we thought that China would become a global economic power.
>>
>>24341231
Whether that's true or not, there are 2 Billion Chinese. Think about it.
>>
Id say mandarin but something about the chinese being relevant seems so silly to me.

So, it depends. Maybe theres a langauge your relatives speak but you dont? Maybe theres a country youre interested in? Choosing a failsafe wont get you very far so just work on the first option that pops into your head.
>>
Python desu
>>
Spanish in America. Japanese if you live anywhere
>>
>>24341288

The think is, speaking chinese doesn't give you a big edge, because there are 2 billion of people who can speak it and better than you do.

Same for english, really, as it's easy to find someone who can speak english. Not speaking english in 2016 is pretty much asking for reducing your pool of available jobs.

If you speak a rare language, you can at least be sure that there isn't a lot of guys to take your spot.
>>
We can all agree mandarin for international or Spanish for domestic. You also need to have a reason to speak the language. I tried learning like 5 languages before I realized I didn't have a use for a single one.
>>
>>24338082
Spanish, Arab, and French would be the most useful. No point in learning any of the Asian languages because of how bad their economies stagnate. If you want to do an Asian language, Korean is your best bet. Japan and China a shit.
>>
>>24341486
Agreed, I tried russian, german, mandarin, and japanese. Of course, 4 years of spanish in high school. None of it retained, only bits and scraps. Even my korean is pretty shit as I don't usually deal with fobs where I live. Practice but unless theres a need, itll just be a painful exertion of energy.
>>
>>24341288
Yea, and they all speak completely different languages.

Moron

And it's less than 2 billion, but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt there
>>
>>24341486
Yeaaah. This.

I know some Swedish and a lot of Japanese but I never get to use them unless a movie or tv show doesnt have English subtites and im translating for a friend
>>
>>24341533
But Japanese is so fucking easy to learn
>>
>>24341644
There's no point though. Their economy is 100% stagnant. Literally zero net growth for over 20 years, and no viable plan to increase growth. Unless you want to live there, or work specifically with Japanese companies, don't waste time to learn it.
>>
>>24341644
It really, really isn't
>>
>>24341620
Most of them speak Mandarin, "Moron".
>>
>>24341918
If you don't have trouble learning languages, Japanese is among the easiest to learn and retain.
>>
File: 1408497167373.jpg (21 KB, 209x187) Image search: [Google]
1408497167373.jpg
21 KB, 209x187
>>24338082
Latin, In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas.
>>
>>24341968
Irrelevant, moron.

Oh, and not all of the Mandarin speakers, speak the same type of Mandarin!

Once again.

Moron
>>
>>24341987
Only if you're a weeb. You know I'm right.
>>
>>24341968
There are under a billion speakers of Mandarin, smart guy.
>>
>>24338176
>>24339949
Chinese is a bad idea unless you have a reason to go to China, their economy is collapsing because they are not completely industrialized. They won't be a world power much longer, if they even count now.

Not sure why you would even bother with Korean unless you are IdrA in the year of 2010 and you need to go practice Starcraft in Korea.

You should pick a language with a nation you actually want to be involved with. Learning a certain language isn't going to make you successful, it's just going to mean you practiced a second language.
>>
>>24341987
It really, really isn't. I'm someone who learns languages as a hobby. Japanese is by far the hardest I've done.

I could read my other languages in less than 2 months with use of a dictionary. It's been 6+ months now and I'm still not at that level in Japanese. I can read, and write 2100+ characters, so Kanji isn't even an issue for me

It's the rest of the language that is hard
>>
>>24342061
>Not sure why you would even bother with Korean
They're an upcoming economic power in Asia that is open with trade with the West. Basically Japan 2.0, with a possibility to have more sustainable growth.

>>24342090
>I could read my other languages in less than 2 months with use of a dictionary
I can't read any of the Japanese characters at all, but I can speak it well enough to have casual conversations with the family that owns a ramen place near my home. And I can read romaji, but that's not really useful at all. I had more issues learning to speak Spanish than I did learning to speak Japanese.
>>
>>24342002
>Moron
You must be one tough guy, calling people moron behind the comfort of your computer screen, right?
>>24342044
Still more than Cantonese, from what I know, which is the second biggest language.

When OP said 'Chinese' I'm pretty sure he meant both.
>>
>>24342523
Second biggest language in China, that is. Not the world.
>>
>>24341987
Fuck you, I've been enrolled in a Japanese language school in Japan for a year and it's the hardest shit I've ever tried to learn.

Spanish was a piece of cake compared to this.
>>
>>24342331
>casual conversation
>can't read any characters
>easy language
You wouldn't even be able to pass the N4, you dolt.
>>
>>24342523
>which is the second biggest language
Not in the world. Second is English by number of speakers.

>>24342582
I'd pass if it were romaji. But it's not. I doubt I'd have any issues learning to read and write if I thought it was necessary.

>>24342560
>it's the hardest shit I've ever tried to learn
You haven't tried to learn anything difficult then. Or you're just not fit for learning languages that differ significantly from your native language.
>>
>>24342711
I literally replied to my own post correcting myself.
>>
>>24341480
underrated rationale 10/10
>>
russian is a good language to learn if you like to read
>>
>>24342711
The Japanese use around 4,000 kanji characters. In addition, while you may know basic words and sentence structure for casual conversation I doubt you have enough grammar knowledge and vocabulary to pass the proficiency tests, especially if you think this language is easy.

So stop talking out of your ass.

Fucking romanji.
>>
sort of off topic, but has anyone here used duolingo? i want to learn to read russian and i have a hard time learning from textbooks
>>
It depends on where you're planning to work,you're the one that will decide what language youll need to learn,most demanded language as far as im informed right now are russian,arabic and chinese,if you want that oil baron money arabic and if you want to try getting a job in china then chinese obviously,and so on.
>>
File: 1446230753828.jpg (73 KB, 852x960) Image search: [Google]
1446230753828.jpg
73 KB, 852x960
>>24342868
>getting this mad that someone learns faster than you
wew lad
>>
>>24343030
It's not learning faster, it's learning much much less then assuming they have a full understanding of the language.
>>
File: what.gif (2 MB, 230x250) Image search: [Google]
what.gif
2 MB, 230x250
>>24343030
>robot
>comprehensive learning
>>
i can read spanish, portuguese, and german, but i cant speak any of it for the life of me
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.