[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw have a brilliant idea for a book but don't read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8
File: IceCube_album.jpg (37 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
IceCube_album.jpg
37 KB, 640x400
>tfw have a brilliant idea for a book but don't read and have basically no idea how to write
>>
>>24337631
So read.
>>
>>24337631
so why is the idea brilliant for a book?
>>
>>24337646
Read what?
>>
>>24337631
Procure a wealthy friend of leisure. Dictate to him (or most likely his secretary).
>>
File: rgsfgsf.jpg (14 KB, 185x186) Image search: [Google]
rgsfgsf.jpg
14 KB, 185x186
>he's an "idea guy"
>>
>>24337631
iktf my writing style is awful. Probably worse than of a midschool kid
>>
it's probably not so brilliant
>>
File: 1372579076250.jpg (704 KB, 1612x2072) Image search: [Google]
1372579076250.jpg
704 KB, 1612x2072
>>24337670
There are numerous guides for reading recs on /lit/'s sticky.
>>
>>24337708
probably not brilliant at all
>>
>>24337651
a brother and sister move in to an apartment together and slowly develop a romantic relationship
>>
Let me guess... it has to deal with magic or virtual reality and the OP guy saves a girl who falls for him. That's your setting and plot?
>>
>>24337631
opposite for me tbqh senpai.
have no ideas for what i want to write, and when i do happen to write shit down there isn't anything that differentiates it with anything else. it's just a pile of mediocre, cliche shit.
>>
>>24337755
well I wouldn't read it. romance novels are shit tier.
>>
>>24337631
Except everything that's been done has been done before. Just start reading books to see how it's done and write whatever the hell you want.
>>
>>24337708
If not, I also have a great idea for a Key-esque story-oriented adventure game. Though the west seems to like their games to have significantly more gameplay, otherwise you wouldn't have idiots who think "visual novel" means anything to the average japanese person. If only japanese wasn't such a hard language to master.
>>
>>24337755
gee. how youneeq. so you.
>>
>>24337670
I just started really gettting into reading this year, i'll give you some recommendations if you want OP.

James Joyce, Start with Dubliners, then A Portrait of the Artist, Then Ulysses

Alexandre Dumas, The Three Musketeers (Must read this book), then the sequels if you want, The Count of Monte Cristo

Honore De Balzac, Old Goriot, Illusions perdues, La Peau de chagrin

Personally I like Thomas Pynchon and read Inherent Vice a couple of months ago, I'm going to read Gravity's Rainbow soon which is meant to be fantastic

I dunno man I would just say read classic literature first, the 'Must Reads'. WordsWorth Editions sell them on Amazon for really cheap.
>>
>>24337798
This. You must get a grasp of whats already been done to death to make something original and refreshing, or genius.
>>
>>24337755
I like sibling relationships as much as the next person but that sounds a bit simple. No offense senpai.

Is there nothing else going on? Are they just living typical normie lives?
>>
>>24337776
It's actually about a country that gets annexed by the kingdom of demons in order to preserve the interests of its great benevolent dictator, but your idea is alright if you manage to write it not boring.
>>
>>24337879
>demons vs human trope
i've been seeing this shit more and more, i really hope it would just die already

also
>politics
no
>>
>>24337631
Start reading champ
>>
You don't actually have to read that much to write. I barely read and people always say how much they love my style. As long as you have a general sense of how to do things/what not to do, you'll be fine. The rest is just on whether you actually have talent or not.
>>
>>24337920
If anything it's more the white man's burden trope with a dash of who's side are we on, but I agree that it's a sad thing that biblical allegories are considered good writing in today's literature.
>>
>>24337728
>tfw have Bird by Bird on my desk
>read it
>going to read it again
>but then again the author is a sjw, with dreadlocks
Good book tbqh, didn't see her push a indoctrination
>>
>>24337728
James Woods wrote a book about writing?
>>
File: get a load of this normie.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
get a load of this normie.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>24337755
It's the kind of book I wouldn't buy at the bookstore because the sheer embarrassment of reading incest books. But it's the kind of book I'll read without undies.
>>24337784
I love to fap to them.
>>
OP here.

Get this:

It's a worldbuilding epic about a low-life who lives with the criminal fringe in a near-future dystopian megalopolis and his story of navigating through the gritty slums in a desperate attempt to find happiness, contentment, and belonging while trying to avoid the pitfalls of gang violence, drug addiction, run-ins with the law, jealous shysters, poverty, and battling with the oppressive anomie of city living.

Also, he's WHITE
>>
>tfw used to get complimented for writing essays all the time
>tfw used to be like an english prodigy
>developed a great idea for a book
>get traumatized and develop anger issues a year after honing my skills
>now i cant even spell certain words
go damn. my brain is just numb all the time and i feel fear and anxiety when i try to write. almost like stage fright
>>
>>24338116
Hello Old Pecker. I tried writing something like that once, but fell short because I had no knowledge of any of those topics.
>>
How does one make money from writing books anyway?
>>
>>24338186
>tfw what op described is exactly me but not happy
>>
>>24338225
what do you mean? patent it and see if it sells. youll hit big if it becomes a movie
>>
>>24337812
yo gravity's rainbow was fucking sweet, you're in for a ride

never read inherent vice, but I've read some other pynchon so i'm sure it's gewd
>>
>>24338275
Which OP? Mr Oblong Penis or the creator of the thread?
>>
>>24338178
what traumatized you, anon?

this is probably not an original comment
>>
I had this idea for a Western about a slave owner turned bounty hunter. He has a gun ,but mostly uses his slaves to bring down targets. His slaves are equipped with machetes only and whatever the master points at they attack. He is kinda like a necromancer in a western setting.
What you think?
>>
>>24338340
Only if you can effectively build the world and carry the narrative of the story while maintaining a thick texas drawl.
>>
>>24338340
don't touch white guilt/das racis stuff with a 10 ft pole and it sounds pretty interesting. what would the overarching story be about? not ragging on you, specifically, anon, but I find that in a lot of these ideas guys threads, the main issues with peoples' ideas is that they stop developing them at the set up.
>>
>tfw have a brilliant premise, a character who will eventually be more loosely based on my favorite anime character, and a revelation that has nothing to do with the premise but is critical to the character, but no fucking idea for a storyline that will tie everything together
>>
>>24338499
what are they?

i'm a very original comment poster
>>
File: 80829[1].jpg (39 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
80829[1].jpg
39 KB, 225x350
>>24337755
That is the plot of Koi Kaze you dolt.
>>
>>24337959
But that assumes that talent is something your born with. How did you learn talent?
>>
>>24338340
That would be a rad comic. Does the bounty hunter stay racist? That is important.
>>
File: antonio.jpg (76 KB, 825x719) Image search: [Google]
antonio.jpg
76 KB, 825x719
What does /r9k/ think of a book about a young adult necromancer that deconstructs the typical videogame RPG party idea as he does a terrible job as a leader of his ragtag bunch of other-dimensional "aliens" due to vast cultural differences and ultimately ends up dead being a glory-seeking, selfish loner, along with the rest of his team as they try and topple dirty alien regimes? Science fantasy of course.
>>
>>24337959
Post an excerpt of you beautiful writing.
>>
>have created a fantasy world in my head since I was 15
>tried writing in down several times, never get very far before I see a major plothole or I just get bored.
>know that even if I did write down completely its just another generic medieval European fantasy/lotr ripoff.
>>
>>24338635
I wouldn't want to spoil a book in the making on a public forum, would I?
>>
>>24338745
As long as the science is sound and the fantasy is interesting I don't see the problem.
>>
>>24338784
you really think anyone gives enough of a shit for it to matter?
>>
>>24338340
The Negromancer.
>>
>>24338886
That's the hard part I'm finding, trying to stamp out any science errors. I thought I had a really fleshed out and decent way for FTL travel, but then I found out it's nearly identical to how Star Trek does it. Back to railguns and plasma research again.
>>
>>24338706
I dunno. I just started writing in high school and after a year of writing here and there, i got the hang of it. another year later and it's even better.

>>24338764
not on r9k i won't
>>
>>24338782
>know that even if I did write down completely its just another generic medieval European fantasy/lotr ripoff.
at least you realize this. i really wish more people did.

>>24338935
why do you need to stress over this bs? what does it matter how it works as long as it isn't stupid/too convenient for the plot?
>>
File: 1439052559899.jpg (30 KB, 500x368) Image search: [Google]
1439052559899.jpg
30 KB, 500x368
>>24337755
Step up nigga
>>
>>24338979
>why do you need to stress over this bs?
Most of it is just trying to create something original. I take the trial and error approach to creativity I suppose.
>>
>>24338915
You see, I actually plan on writing this, and distributing it to the population at large for profit. You know full well that magpies exist and have no qualms in stealing your hard-earned bread. Besides a simple summary will make obvious which works I ripped off with no account for execution.
>>
>tfw only write fanfiction, erotic mlp fanfiction
>>
You guys are putting too much emphasis on originality. A good, well-written story that follows all the cliches is still miles better than some haphazard piece of garbage that goes out of its way to try and break them all.
>>
el ohh el .

ideas are almost worthless. you need to know the fucking craft you dumb ass faggot idiot.

just start to write and never stop .

post everywhere try everything. you might stumble on something and start to get gud.

if you can tell a story the idea is not that important its about pacing and characters and how the world feeels.
look at harry potter . its messy bullshit but I used to love it and still do because its about being powerful and being special and doing what you want the way you want it and bang redheads on the way and be rich and shit goes on and on and on.
>>
I've lived a pretty strange past 5 years as a heroin addict. Do you think people would pay to read about all the crazy shit that happens at the fringe of society?
>>
>>24339239
Absolutely, as long as it's easy to read and not priced too high.
>>
File: kwai.jpg (77 KB, 1261x705) Image search: [Google]
kwai.jpg
77 KB, 1261x705
i'm writing a controversial 'diary' of a 12 years old girl and as i'll use a pseudonym readers will think that this shit is real (some years later she'll lose her anal virginity)

i'm at 121 pages at the moment I want to reach 180 and get this published.
>>
>>24339861
If only I could overcome the tyranny of the blank page.
>>
Last night I dreamed that I was robbing a bank with a group of 5 other people, but halfway through 2 of them turned on the rest of us. Those of us that were not gunned down on the spot were taken hostage in the middle of the robbery along with the rest of the people in the bank. We had to find a way to take down the traitors and escape from the scene as it was quickly surrounded by cops and special forces.

Would this make a good plot for a book?
>>
>>24340474
No. Why would they leave you alive after turning on you? If you were captured by police you'd have a lot of information that could bring them down, silly.
>>
>>24340474
desu senpai, plot doesnt really matter. it's more about execution. you can have a shit plot, but if the execution and themes are brilliant it will be a masterpiece
>>
>>24340801
Damn. You're right. I'm trying to make up a reason, but it just doesn't fit.

How about this then?

A while back I had a dream about a young boy, somewhere around the age 6-7. He had no friends and was bullied most of the time. Then one day his parents bought him a stuffed animal who he quickly grew to love. With no one else to turn to, he subconsciously makes up an imaginary friend out of it so he won't feel so lonely and sad all the time. The story is then told from both the perspective of the 'friend' and the kid. The 'friend' doesn't at first realize that the kid is in fact lonely, bullied and depressed, but over the course of the story progressively gets hints. The rest of the story is about how their relationship develops based on this, as well as the struggle between the kid and his parents who try to make him accept reality and stop obsessing over the stupid animal, which in reality is all he has.
>>
>>24341511

sounds interesting, i think there's a manga with that premise
>>
>>24341567
Fuck. And here I thought I was being subconsciously creative. Guess I just gotta keep dreaming. I actually do have another idea, but this one doesn't really come from a dream. It's not completely finished though, but I guess I'll share it if this thread is still around when I wake up. Goodnight guys.
>>
Bumping this decent thread on /r9k/
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.