[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How weird is it to go to uni at 23 in the UK?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: 1443123439968.png (101 KB, 248x241) Image search: [Google]
1443123439968.png
101 KB, 248x241
How weird is it to go to uni at 23 in the UK?
>>
>>24335923
If you're just starting its kinda weird if you live on campus past 24
>>
>>24335923
I'm gonna be 27 when I start uni. Don't really give a shit to be honest better than being a minimum wage wageslave for the rest of my life
>>
Not weird at all. You're barely even in the nontraditional student range of things. If you were 32 you would be pushing it
>>
>>24335923
not that weird

guy on my business admin degree was in his 40's...
>>
Just go to one of the mature-only colleges, you'll be fine, failing that don't live in college.
The main thing is having something to talk about, if you say you're starting late because you were a NEET will not be taken very well.
>>
I'm gonna be like 36 when I start uni in Japan, I wonder how that might go.
>>
Where I live, most people graduate with a master's degree when they are 25-27. Don't know how it is in the UK.
>>
>>24336144
story? umute me stupid robot
>>
>>24336201
Hes a weeb-wizard that wants some jap MILF to fuck him obviously.
>>
Youre 23 not 75 for crying out loud

are you really this dense?
>>
I went to uni at 23. I failed but that's because I'm a piece of shit not because of my age. They did call me gramps tho.
>>
Started 3 months ago at 23. Second try, also NEETed for 3 years.

Expect lots of awkward conversations where you are supposed to explain your actions to others.
>so anon what did you do the last 5 years?
>what are your hobbies anon
>what do you mean you spend the last years reading books and playing videogames?
>hey I'm 23 as well anon, I went traveling around the world, volunteered and worked various jobs before entering uni, what did you do before this?
>why are you so quiet anon?

They stop asking after a couple of weeks though.
>>
>>24336606
Do they treat you like an outcast after they stop asking?
>>
>>24336201
No story to speak of. I've been studying the language for years so I can become a translator. And that means I'll need to be better than the average native speaker before I even enroll in a uni. That takes time.
>>
File: 1439229453247.jpg (51 KB, 500x442) Image search: [Google]
1439229453247.jpg
51 KB, 500x442
>>24335923
>tfw 23 and just applying for college
I feel simultaneously anxious and humiliated. I hope I get in though.
>>
>>24336950
Nah. I delivered quality work and cooperated well in the first group assignment, so they have no reason to avoid me.
They are just formal acquaintances though, since I don't want to open up to them. It helps if you're good at asking irrelevant questions and act unapologetic on the rare occasion when they ask something personal you'll be fine.

And remember you are only there for your own personal success, not to impress others.
>>
>>24335923
I'm 26 and a first year
Nobody gives a shit
>>
>>24336297
This. I was 23 going on 24 when I started some entry level college course. I'll be about 27 if I take it to Uni. You don't have to start worrying about it being "too late" until you're in your 50s or something.

>>24336606
I was also a NEET for 3 years. I had to make up bullshit about having a few small time jobs to cover up the fact I sat at home playing vidya for 3 years. Fortunately, this was an NC course and pretty much everyone was an underachiever to some extent so no one boasted about their backlog of experience or the like.
>>
>>24337202
While you're correct that you're only there for your own personal success, you can't deny that there is a huge social aspect to being at uni.

I am friendly, and I attempt to be social, however while in a group, talking, I find myself not being able to relate to the conversation most times. When, on the off chance, a topic arises that I can actually talk to people about, im fine. But most times, they'll speak about tuning cars, talking about all the people they know, or what shit they've done with said people they know, so while they're talking, I'll generally look at who's talking and be quiet, and laugh when everyone laughs, etc.

While it is good to focus on your own personal success, I can't just ignore such a huge part of the experience, as people there, who aren't in our position, have no such problem as we.
>>
File: 1444446287316.png (175 KB, 539x612) Image search: [Google]
1444446287316.png
175 KB, 539x612
>>24335923
>start college at 23, looking like a 15 yr old
>grill sits next to me and asks how old I am, clearly expecting me to be some child prodigy
>that look of disgust when she finds out I'm 4 years older than her
>everyone in lecture hall is costanza.png
>no one said one word to me for the rest of the year
this was in Canada though, maybe it's different elsewhere
>>
>>24335923
not weird just say you were in the military
>>
>>24335923
JUST DO IT you huge faqqot op, yeah i know it's redundant.
Just do it
Look at this guy >>24335963
do what he does.
>>
Stop worrying about the correct trajectory for a 15-25 year old to have and start thinking in terms of how much of a difference there will be, at 50 years old, between
>you, who started uni at 23
>some guy who started uni at 17 but took 2.5 years extra to finish
>some guy who started at 19 but wasted 3 years by taking 2 off and getting a second degree he didn't need

You're an adult. Do what's right for your skills, training, and life goals, not what fits into !!!!THE CORRECT LIFE PATH TO HAVE!!!! No one is even on the latter anyway. These days everyone's dropping out, taking an extra year between grad school, coming back for a second professional degree in their late twenties after realising their MA in Lit was horseshit, etc.

Just do what's right for you.
>>
>>24335923
normal as fuck

I had a few people in their 30's in my BA course, and people older than that doing masters degrees
>>
>>24335923

I had a 71 year old in my psychology class freshman year. She just wanted something to keep her occupied and distracted since her husband just passed away.

People get their education at all different stages/reasons OP. Don't worry about what other people think about you.
>>
>>24337165
How old are you now? Are you already a translator?
>>
File: 1433099255743.png (183 KB, 370x359) Image search: [Google]
1433099255743.png
183 KB, 370x359
>>24337505
I'm 25 and a woman in my class asked me if I'm straight out of school and there was a long awkward silence when I told her my age.

I'm really hoping this starts to pay off when I hit 30 and look like a man in his early 20's and that I don't simply end up looking like current Haley Joel Osment or something.
>>
>>24337779
Post your feet please.
>>
>>24337721
I'm like 30, and I have a degree in translation... but not for Japanese-English/English-Japanese. I'm not working in translation at the moment.
>>
File: 1443618069954.jpg (499 KB, 1994x1496) Image search: [Google]
1443618069954.jpg
499 KB, 1994x1496
I entered a new university at 22 after failing in a previous one.
I felt like a piece of shit for being so old and being classmates with 18 year olds so I haven't made any acquaintance and I don't have any friends. I think I made a big deal out of it but I'm just so embarassed of my life.
>>
It's the perfect age

You have enough life experience to manipulate 18 year old fresher girls to do anything you want
>>
>>24337779
you should start lying about your age anon
>>
>>24335923
sure, just don't live on campus or expect to have "the college experience" (which is fucking BS anyway)
>>
Literally no one will give a shit anon.
>>
>>24338854
>on r9k
>experience with girls

that said, though, its my plan to go and do a masters/phd after a few years of work, when i actually look older than 16.
>>
>>24335923
If you have to ask that question you're not the kind of person who will make any friends at uni anyway tbqhfamalam
>>
I had some really old dude in my x86 architecture class. This was at a community college and looks like he just took it for fun.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.