[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do employers expect so much motivation from potential workers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: 1445773155152.jpg (253 KB, 2048x1447) Image search: [Google]
1445773155152.jpg
253 KB, 2048x1447
Why do employers expect so much motivation from potential workers?

The only reason I want *any* job is to avoid starving to death. That's all.
I'm ready to do the assign tasks but don't fucking expect me to be passionate about the shit you try to sell, or to enjoy it. If I actually enjoyed working for you I would accept to do it for free.

I don't think I can do it, guys. I'm exactly the sort of person recruiters are paid to *not* hire. Even if I lied about it I wouldn't be convincing enough to fool them.
>>
Best post in r9k for a while
>>
File: 1366481533622.jpg (313 KB, 500x619) Image search: [Google]
1366481533622.jpg
313 KB, 500x619
Just try to act, most people dont like their job.
>>
>>24329344

some people have this thing called "ambition"
>>
http://youtu.be/aGMh9SnzIKM

You mean fake enthusiasm like this
?

I have to agree whos idea was that
>>
>>24329344
Employers are in the position to employ people usually because they got there with passion for the job, and they tend to expect the same from others. A lot of them don't actually give much of a fuck as long as you get your job done, though. You just have to fake it through the interview and first few weeks until you prove to them that you're a solid worker.
>>
>>24329373
Retail managers are fucking sociopaths
>>
>why did you leave your previous work place?
I fucking hate it. Its a question with no right answers, I feel like they only ask you to feel smug about putting you on the spot.
>saying that you left because salary wasn't satisfactory
oh it means you're a greedy shit and we don't need people like that
>saying that you left because conflicts with co-workers
oh so you're a confrontational asshole, we don't hire such people
>saying that you left because it was exhausting
oh so you can't handle hard work, we're looking for hardworkers
>>
File: Abstract Feel.jpg (56 KB, 636x640) Image search: [Google]
Abstract Feel.jpg
56 KB, 636x640
>>24329373
The sad thing is that this would actually be kind of cool if a mom and pop shop did this kind of shit with their employees. Doing it for a big corporate chain like Walmart just kind of proves how great of a grasp they have upon our balls and even our very souls.
>>
File: 1446213805843.jpg (60 KB, 600x333) Image search: [Google]
1446213805843.jpg
60 KB, 600x333
>>24329365
What's the point?

It's true I don't have any ambition, but so what?
I don't care about fancy cars and money, or being all famous and powerful, or about attracting girls. None of that would give any meaning to life, and none of it would save me from death, the only difference is that I'd have to work my ass off to get it, suffer when I realize I don't achieve all my goals or others are doing "better", and at the end lose even more things, to return to the same point, ashes.

I'm fine with very little, I just want to earn enough to survive then be left alone, is it really too much to ask?

>>24329373
Disgusting. How can they agree to do that?
>>
>>24329344

I agree. But here's what I find strange: that CUSTOMERS expect employees to be happy.

I work at a grocery store, and whenever I have kind of a sad or stoic face, people say "smile!" or "you need a better attitude." Why the fuck would I? I'm not even acting pissy, just not smiling overtly. I seriously don't have the right to just act a little glum for a bit?
>>
Exactly, OP, I get so offended when I work in a non customer facing role and get told to lighten up.

Also I get offended on behalf of other employees when I see complaints forms on the wall saying "X wasn't smiling". I seriously hope that was made up by management / a fake customer. If even customers are brainwashed in to thinking this, they can go to hell.
>>
>>24329454

A good answer might be something along the lines of: "I didn't find them professional enough" or "I felt like I was more motivated than my supervisors"
>>
>>24329373
>youre gonna be a cashier someday!

T-thanks , I guess
>>
>>24329344
My job interviews went like this:

1. "You hiring?" - "Yes, start tomorrow."

2. "Why do you want to work here? You already got a job." - "You pay 3 bucks more than my current employee." - "Start on monday."

3. "Why do you choose to work here?" - "I need food on the table and pay my bills." - "Ok, start next week."

What's the problem? They don't give a fuck and neither should you.
>>
File: Laughing stoner.gif (478 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Laughing stoner.gif
478 KB, 500x375
>>24329365
>ambition
>working as a wageslave for someone else
Is this really how normies see the world? If I had any sort of ambition, I sure as hell wouldn't be out looking for a job.
>>
>>24329344
>Why do employers expect so much motivation from potential workers?
I don't know about minimum wage stuff like retail or fast-food since I've never done those jobs but when you have project-based employment where you have to output productivity in measurable amounts, motivated people deliver much more than unmotivated people. To put it another way, if I enjoy what I do, I'll do more work in between the breaks I take to check my facebook and email or watching dota or let's plays.
>>
>>24329454
Say you left to pursue your passion (which is the job you are applying for).

Bonus points if you are applying for some piece of shit job like a cleaner or retail and you tell them that's your dream and passion.
>>
>>24329511
>doesn't possess a trait
>acts like he knows how he would act if he did have the trait

anonymous please : |
>>
>>24329524
Why would anyone with ambition resort to a mcjob? You'd be better off in the welfare line.
>>
>>24329344

Are you American? If yes:

Because you have a shit-tier job-market. Only around 11% of workers are in a union. Your entire flavour of capitalism is specifically designed to buttfuck the poor man for the benefit of the rich, and you're too deluded with the American Dream (fitting name, really) to do anything about it - considering yourself a temporarily embarrassed millionaire rather than a buttfucked worker. Nurturing the delusion that some day, if you just scrub the toilets hard enough, you'll make it big, all the while you're getting shit on.

It's ridiculous. America has the highest poverty rates of any western country. It's basically the third-world shithole of the west. Your social mobility, which should be the very foundation of the American Dream is shit tier and inferior to basically all of Europe's.
>>
>>24329454

>Looking for new challenges; I grow weary with stagnation and strive for excellency in every endeavour I undertake.

Then they'll surely let you clean their toilets and stack their shelves.
>>
File: 1447385948164.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1447385948164.gif
2 MB, 500x500
>>24329493
In my opinion it's the very idea that there is a "right answer" that is revolting. That's my whole point, they don't just want me to do a certain task, they want me to be a certain person that I am not.
No, I didn't quit my previous job because they were not professional enough, I did so because I fucking hated it. No I'm not passionate about your business, in fact I think your company is useless and people should not buy anything from you. No I'm not hardworking, I'll do the bare minimum and struggle to get out of bed and arrive on time every morning. No my greatest weakness isn't that I'm perfectionist, it's that I have no motivation to do anything.
>>
>>24329524
>>24329539
Oh, and you'll probably still end up in the welfare line even if you do land yourself a nice wageslaving gig.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2013-11-13/how-mcdonald-s-and-wal-mart-became-welfare-queens

At least your big corporate employer will help you apply for your government benefits the public owes for your "ambition" :^)
>>
>>24329403
This pretty much.
Another reason they're looking for passion is because people with a passion in the work they do will be much more likely to properly apply themselves at the job, be more motivated to get the work done, etc. All in all making a better employee on average for that job.
Fake having that passions during the interview and the first few weeks/months, show your good work ethic in the process (obviously provided you actually have that), and getting rid the faked passion will be no issue.

>>24329470
>I'm fine with very little, I just want to earn enough to survive then be left alone, is it really too much to ask?
Depends on the position/job you're applying for I think.
If you don't mind low end jobs, it shouldn't be too much to ask at all. I work at some part-time job and although I keep being asked if I want to do more and get more responsibilities, I'm putting it off as I'm honestly quite content with the very little I do and do well. I don't want increased stress over things I might be crap at or make more errors in or whatever; I'd rather avoid that stress altogether especially as it wouldn't pay more (hourly rate stays the same, though a few more hours a week does mean more money weekly/monthly). Even with all this, I still was given a permanent contract so I guess I'm doing well enough at the job without all that extra, simply by having a pretty good work ethic minus ambition.
>>
This is basically why I'm getting fired right now. My boss wants someone just like her, but I'm not an ugly woman nearing thirty with a mustache and no marriage prospects. As quiet as my life is, I have better things to do, no matter how large the paycheck. She wants me to jump out of bed and stay late, and I will if I have to (if only to keep my job) but to turn around and tell me I'm not a good fit because I'm not passionate enough?

Fuck you, cunt.
>>
I feel like if I was the manager at one of these shitty jobs I would just fuck with people as a way to vent my frustrations from a failed life.
>>
>>24329577
Problem is there's a thousand other people behind you that would take your job. Better fake it kek.
>>
>boss demands a written explanation for being 10 minutes late
Wrote "Sorry I can't fly" and handed this along with resignation request. Most badass moments of my life.
>>
>>24329701
Lol nice. What did your boss say.
>>
Managers/admins are the worst people in a world. They don't have any skills or knowledge for positions with actual influence, but they were given small staff of people to manage so they feel like fucking monarchy.
>>
>be me
>Brian
>shitty job at Best Buy
>manager spells name wrong on name tag
>Brain
>makes me keep it because "i am the brain of consumer electronics"
>>
>>24329734
what makes them appear capable for those jobs? Why don't you ask yourself that? Why do company chiefs give these people these positions?
>>
>>24329730
Nothing really, just accepted it, still made me work obligatory 2 weeks just to be an asshole about it (I know for the fact there was a bunch of people available immediately)
>>
>>24329756
Usually either worked for years from the lowest positions for this 'success' or just someone's retarded sibling
>>
>>24329344
Do you remember being in high school? Do you remember all the shitty teenagers and their shitty cliques that excluded people based on the most arbitrary things imaginable? Because they were ugly / weird / wore the wrong brand of clothes / ate the wrong sorts of food / was born on the wrong street / had a funny sounding name?

Well life outside of high school is just an extension of high school, except now all the shitty teenagers are shitty adults, and their workplace is their clique. It doesn't matter if you have 10000 years experience at the job you're apply for, if the person doing the hiring thinks you're ugly then you may as well have stayed home. Likewise you can show up wearing a bundle of dead kittens, and if the person doing the hiring thinks you're the sort of person they'd enjoy having a beer with then congratulations, you're on your way to becoming vise president.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.