[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking about getting one of these little boogers. Has anyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9
File: zoeybe2.jpg (27 KB, 717x478) Image search: [Google]
zoeybe2.jpg
27 KB, 717x478
Thinking about getting one of these little boogers. Has anyone ever had one before? Any advice on what they're like?
>>
looks freaky

budgie or GTFO
>>
>>24326434
I think they live like 50 years or something. So be prepared for a commitment
>>
>>24326446
But anon I already have a cute little ringneck
>>
>>24326459
all parakeets are acceptable
>>
>>24326483
Thanks he's a cutie :)
>>
File: IMG_0038_1.jpg (1 MB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0038_1.jpg
1 MB, 1536x2048
>>24326515
post bird pics?
>>
>>24326456
I'm prepared for the commitment. That's one of the reasons I want one is for the long term companionship
>>
>>24326569
I would but my camera takes pictures that are over the file limit for this site :( it sucks mang
>>
File: rps20151117_023551.jpg (180 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
rps20151117_023551.jpg
180 KB, 1920x1080
>>24326569
Nevermind I figured out how to fix it.
but I don't know why it made it sideways
>>
File: IMG_0119.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0119.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>24326683
qt bird anon
>>
>>24326745
Yours too :3 mine is starting to go through puberty so he gets grumpy now but it'll pass soon enough
>>
>>24326434
Holy shit. Im literally sitting in my back yard right now earning the trust of a long billed corella that showed up this morning. We have tonnes of shortbills around here, but I was surprised to see him and thought he might be an escaped pet. I just noticed he has a ring on his foot too.
>>
>>24326814
Aww it sounds like he escaped then :( the owners must be so sad
>>
>>24326434
Larger members of the cockatoo family can be a bit of a handful for a noob. It's hard to give general advice on what to expect since they all have very distinct personalities.

Birdfag here. Ama
>>
Having a caged bird as a pet is sad unless you let them out to fly around your house. It's like the worst pet to cage. I feel so bad for an animal whos only purpose is to fly in the sky.
>>
>>24326434

I had an African grey for 15 years that was awesome but I moved into an apartment from a house so I had to give him away. He was pretty chill.
>>
>>24326841
Bare eyed cockatoos are on the small side of the cockatoo family. I spend all of my free time with my bird that I have now but mine doesn't like cuddling (he just doesn't like being touched other than his feet). I love my little booger that I have now but I would also like a bird that loves to cuddle and I can form a long time bond with.

I was sorta asking for advice on how to care for them and what I should be feeding them and stuff as I've already had some experience dealing with birds.
>>
>>24326849
Oh trust me I have a pet bird now and when I'm home he is always out of his cage and can fly wherever he likes. I understand that sadness cause it makes me sad when I see birds pluck all of their feathers out cause of it. I plan to take really good care of my bird friends and give them a good home
>>
>>24326878
I thought about an African grey but they seem less playful and cuddly than other birds which is why I stayed away from them unless my perception is totally wrong
>>
>>24326903
>I see birds pluck all of their feathers out cause of it.

i've had an avian vet once tell me that birds who do this are just sexually frustrated. they're kept alone and their only contact is with humans. they wonder why they aren't being sexually selected and the only reason they can come up with is that they are feathered whereas the humans are not. so they pluck their feathers out to make them look more like humans in the hope they will be sexually selected by one.

the long term cure is always just get another bird and let them pair up.
>>
>>24326959
If you spend plenty of social time with the bird they aren't prone to do that. Getting another bird can help but if you don't have the time for one it's probably not a good idea to get another
>>
>>24326903
Yeah, I've known people who have big, beautiful birds and don't let them out and they pluck their feathers out. It makes me want to punch them.
I had a pet cockatoo for a long time but he died of old age. I would always let him out as soon as I got home. I feel bad because you can't take them outside like you can other animals so I haven't gotten other.
>>
>>24326992
Have you thought about harness training? Its a good way to go outside with your bird without them flying away
>>
>>24326434
Btw I'm thinking of rescuing one instead of getting a newborn one. Any tips on how to do this?
>>
>>24327014
That's so sad for a bird though. I don't think I could do it to them. It's different for ground animals.
>>
>>24326434
If it's a bird that chirps loudly don't do it. My younger brother has a cockateil and it has random vietnam flashbacks and it's annoying as fuck
>>
>>24327098
I actually like the sounds of bird noises whether they are loud or quiet. They are calming to me somehow. And yes that bird is way louder than a cockatiel. For reference, if a moluccan cockatoo is really upset for some reason their screams can reach as loud as 120 dB. The picture I posted is of a bare eyed cockatoo so they can't get as loud but it gives perspective
>>
File: SC20151117-190418-1.jpg (31 KB, 480x369) Image search: [Google]
SC20151117-190418-1.jpg
31 KB, 480x369
>>24326880
I got mauled by a longbill x galah that hated men a while back. That's the sort of thing I meant when I said different personalities. I have been nipped by dozens of birds over the years when I have annoyed them, but this is the only bird that has ever tried to inflict pain on me.

I feed my galahs a mix, pic related. They love the sunflower seeds more than anything else, but those can make them fat and unhealthy. They also love playing with then eating the wild oats that grow in the backyard. And golden wattles.

Are you in Australia?
>>
>>24327152
Nah I'm in burgerland. But aren't Corellas native to Australia?
>>
>>24326434
Birds can be really loud and annoying and you can't tell them 'no speak' like you can to a dog..
>>
>>24327176
I know I already own a bird. I've had to deal with the noise for a while and I like it desu senpai. Just looking to add to the family
>>
>>24327168
Yeah, that's why Im in my backyard waiting for this one. In Australia we have parrot rescue centres where you can adopt parrots that people can't take care of. It's good because it's much cheaper, they usually come with a cage they're happy with and you can usually get an insight into the birds behaviour before you get it.
>>
>>24326434
I had a green parrot that looked similar to yours. Was named Jane. Had her for 10 years when I was a kid and lost her about 2 years ago when she just flew away because her wings grew and allowed her to fly large distances. Was very distraught when she flew away. Poor thing must've died in the cold and from hunger since I looked for her around the neighborhood for weeks and could never find her.

If you get one, make sure to clip their wings every week or two and feed them well. Fruits, veggies (celery sticks, carrots) you name it. Give them toys to play with so they wont stay bored and try to play with them as much as possible because they can get very lonely and depressed from lack of attention.

Parrots are god tier pets since they are generally low maintenance. But they can poop a lot so try to teach your parrot to poop in their cage or in a designated (lel) shitting area.
>>
>>24327229
Yeah that's what I'm hoping for when i go to adopt one. We have places like that here as well. Plus the hefty price tag being lowered will definitely help
>>
File: Little_Corella_MC.jpg (27 KB, 311x200) Image search: [Google]
Little_Corella_MC.jpg
27 KB, 311x200
>>24327245
There's a big one here that does everything over Facebook.

I never heard that name btw, bald eyed corella. In Australia we usually call them long billed as opposed to short billed, or little corella (pic related).

They fly around in big flocks of up to 500 around sunset everyday. Sometimes mixed flocks of long bill, short bill and galahs.
>>
File: IMG_20150715_124052.jpg (85 KB, 694x925) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150715_124052.jpg
85 KB, 694x925
>>24326434
I have an amazon

she acts like a retard but it's cute as fuck
>>
>tfw want to get a pet bird
>tfw still live at home
>tfw parents would bitch me out non stop

Sucks senpai.
>>
File: Long-billed_Corella_02.jpg (17 KB, 640x370) Image search: [Google]
Long-billed_Corella_02.jpg
17 KB, 640x370
>>24327318
Sorry, Im a retard, you were talking about shortbill this whole time. This is what I was talking about.
>>
>>24327242
Pic related is exactly how she looked like. She's an Amazon parrot afaik
>>
when I was a kid I had a budgie, and when I think about it that time period was probably the only period of my life when I wasn't chronically depressed. I know part of it was because of my bird

now I just work and go to school all day, so it would be fucked up to get any pet. but I literally dream of the point where I can get a bird again
>>
>>24327456
Tbh senpai I was very depressed before I got my bird and it has turned my life around in a matter of a few months. I have never been so excited to see something each day and I love him. I hope you get another bird soon because they are the best pets
>>
>>24327362
You're good haha. I just like the short billed one's better and they seem very sweet desu
>>
>>24327507
Like I say, varies from bird to bird.

The kindest, sweetest soul I ever had the pleasure of knowing was my female eclectus. I tear up every time I think about her and how she got stolen.

I decided I wanted to get one, found a breeder and went in the avary to pick which one I wanted. Twelve other parrots flew everywhere when I walked in. She flew right into my chest and wouldn't let go of my hoodie. Right from then we were inseparable.

I loved that bird more than anyone I've ever met.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.