[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Majors of r9k
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 17
File: laser.gif (108 KB, 700x249) Image search: [Google]
laser.gif
108 KB, 700x249
Do (or did) you attend a college?
Did you get a degree?
What is (or was) you major?
How is that working out for you?

I'll start.
>Yes.
>Working on it.
>Materials Science and Engineering (pic related)
>Kicked out once. Readmitted. Put on deferred dismissal. Canceled deferred dismissal. Fifth and final year. Assisting research that should change a multi-billion dollar industry (eventually). Worked at a particle accelerator last month for a weekend for research (great results). Supervisor fucking hates me and is trying to destroy me. Exam tomorrow. Hopefully I pass everything get my degree. I have been on academic probation since my second semester. I posted on 4chan for the first time today. This is my first time starting a thread. Be gentle, r9k.
>>
Making ~$40,000/yr working in law, after majoring in Political Science, a useless degree in and of itself. Scored the position due to academic, social, and professional successes during and after my undergraduate experience. Moving out of mother's next month. Damn fucking happy.

>Bonus
Black anon who grew up with no father, single mom, rotating door of abusive, shit men, and four siblings, which translated into a fuckload of adversity and poverty. I feel fortunate to have escaped, if barely.
>>
>>24323682
>Do (or did) you attend a college?
Yes, still do.
>Did you get a degree?
BS Geological Sciences
>What is (or was) you major?
MS Geochemistry, hydrology concentration
>How is that working out for you?
It's okay. Got an NSF grant so I get paid enough to live off of. No gf though and probably won't get one sitting in front of an ICPMS machine.
>>
>>24323876
One can dream, anon.
>>
>yes
Did you get a degree?
>still working
>math
>okay
>>
File: ARYAN MASTERY- MY ALMA MATER.gif (287 KB, 2285x2285) Image search: [Google]
ARYAN MASTERY- MY ALMA MATER.gif
287 KB, 2285x2285
>>24323682
>Yup. Pic related: Did running start so some community college while I was in highschool as well. Community college was shit because it was filled with people like you.
>Yeah- political science
>inb4 foaming at the mouth unemployed STEM peasant race
>Bretty gud, got a nifty job senpai
>>
>>24323789
>working in law

Paralegal? For what type of firm?
>>
>yes
>yes bachelors
>Maritime Systems Engineering
>okay
I'm gainfully employed, but subsea robotics might be dying. I'll probably get a masters in aerospace if things don't pick up in the next few years
>>
>>24323682
I'm attending college right now
>Did you get a degree?
Not yet
I'm in IT right now because I was rejected from engineering (didn't work hard in high school). I spoke to admissions and they said if I can bring up my marks this year, I spoke to admissions and they said i can switch to electrical engineering and start over as a first year. At least that's what I'm counting on, I don't have it in writing.
Alright I guess.I'm near the top of my class but this work is boring and makes me feel dumb.
>>
>>24324450
>I was rejected from engineering (didn't work hard in high school)
>rejected
>engineering
>didn't work hard enough in highschool
>>
>yes
>electrical engineering
>it sucks
But on the bright side, I'll be better off than doctorfags who spending their glory years in school just to get out and face crippling debt. I have an internship that will pay me $60,000 salary. So I can only imagine what I'll get when I graduate
>>
>>24324478
I have a buddy in this program who has a medical degree. He failed the USMLE twice and is essentially blacklisted. It's not so great for medical students
>>
>>24324552
> Overall pass rates for USMLE Step 1 test takers in 2013-2014 are: 95% for U.S. M.D. medical school graduates (97% in first-time takers),

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Medical_Licensing_Examination

lol ur friend's just dumb as hell senpai
>>
Finished my bachelor's, getting my master degree
>Did you get a degree?
Yes
Sociology
Currently a rank below assistant professor,once I get my contract it should be a nice sum of cash for my country
>>
>>24323682
I'm attending right now
>Did you get a degree?
Working on it
Stats
A lot better than engineering was. Actually enjoying stats a lot, and got employed by a family friend doing actuary shit for two of their companies. I have no friends myself, but, you know, at least I'm financially successful before leaving school.
>>
>>24324658
He didn't go to a school in North America and he did it in 2011. The USMLE site shows:
Repeaters**
Numbers tested : 4,621
Percent passing: 36%
>>
File: A talking cat_Pizza Turtle.jpg (87 KB, 640x625) Image search: [Google]
A talking cat_Pizza Turtle.jpg
87 KB, 640x625
>>24324841
>dummies who couldn't pass it the first time had a difficult time passing it the second

Color me surprised
>>
yes
Did you get a degree?
yes
history
working ok i'm a software dev now
>>
>>24323876
Who needs a girl friend when you have an ICPMS. Tell me how much U and Th you find in rocks.
>>
>>24324961
I've been looking for arsenic in groundwater. Exciting.
>>
Yes
>Did you get a degree?
Yes
Double major Mathematics/ Physics
It's pretty much what I expected, I worked in a high school as assistant teacher but being a teacher is not what I want to do with my life. Not sure about wat do though.
>>
>>24324374

>Community college was shit because it was filled with people like you.

No, it wasn't.

I did really well are a great high school, I got godlike SAT and ACT scores without studying, I never fucked around with drugs or alcohol, I was in a myriad of physics-related extra-curricular activities, and I applied to 18 colleges. I could afford any of them, but picked mine for research. I fucked up at first because I hated my major. When I started doing well, I met some really shitty people who I let control me through the middle of my college career. Then I found out my girlfriend was cheating on me and I didn't know how to deal with that and it fucked me up badly. I kicked all the losers out of my life, and my last semester was all good grades on a heavy course-load and I do ground-breaking research. I do pretty well when I'm the only person to blame. Some people suck at college because life is shitting on them. It's just the smallest bit harder on them because there are people like you. You don't know anything about my experience except that I got kicked out and got back in. That wasn't even my biggest concern at the time. Shitty GPA isn't enough to know someone's caliber. Comments like yours are.

>political science

And you're going to take a shot at STEM?
>>
>>24324884
>Color me surprised
You shouldn't be.
This program is basically a last chance at not being a complete failure.
>>
>>24323682
Bachelors of Science in Healthcare Admin w/ minor in comp info
Currently getting MBA in Healthcare Admin and Msc in Comp info.
Have a job, small managerial business. 25 bed care center. Make 85k/year.
>>
File: good shit.png (879 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
good shit.png
879 KB, 1080x1080
>>24325080
>Le STEM is superior and my anecdotal experience at a community college means they're not filled with human garbage
>So I'll go on a long incoherent rant about getting keked

Damn, engineers can't into critical reading, arguing or logic lol
>>
I got my aa then fucked around for a couple of years. Trying to get in for next fall semester but i feel ill prepared and too dumbed down right now so maybe next spring would be better.
>>
File: english.jpg (57 KB, 438x333) Image search: [Google]
english.jpg
57 KB, 438x333
>>24325151

Are you retarded?

I'm not talking about his experience. Anon is saying that I'm like the people from his experience, and I'm saying I'm not. I'm not defending community college students. You only skimmed my ridiculous rant, and you can't even piece a sentence together.
>>
File: pic of u.jpg (24 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
pic of u.jpg
24 KB, 600x450
>>24325314
>Are you retarded?
>Mine hero Richard Dawkins once tipped his fedora in my direction so I know what I'm talking about
>>
>>24323682
I dropped out but am bombing cc rn. I want to do botany, get a comfy 50k a year job doing science in the middle of nowhere with my own greenhouse filled with ethnogens
>>
>>24323682
Yes

>Did you get a degree?
Yes, BFA

Graphic Design

Extremely Well. Had a job at a small ad agency 2 years before graduating. Started at 50K, went up to 60k when i left 4 years later, I left because the rate increases were too small. Now working for an ecommerce company, started at 80K, 18 months later up to 105K. I love what i do, would do it for free.
>>
Currently in one.
>Did you get a degree?
Probably not going to graduate
Computer engineering, then I copped out and switched to business
It's terrible, and I hate myself for doing it.
>>
File: Found a picture of you online.jpg (63 KB, 438x470) Image search: [Google]
Found a picture of you online.jpg
63 KB, 438x470
>>24325396
>I dropped out but am bombing cc rn. I want to do botany, get a comfy 50k a year job doing science in the middle of nowhere with my own greenhouse filled with ethnogens

>keep it 8 more than 92 with me
>100
>real nigga shit
>other night at your crib it was like...
>we just talking about life
>>
>>24325440
>It's terrible, and I hate myself for doing it.
Just get that degree done and gtfo as soon as possible. Make sure to get internships.
>>
yes
Did you get a degree?
nope, dropped out of first year
math
i now drive a truck for a living
>>
>>24325427
>>Do (or did) you attend a college?
>Yes
>>Did you get a degree?
>Yes, BFA
>>What is (or was) you major?
>Graphic Design
>>How is that working out for you?
>Extremely Well. Had a job at a small ad agency 2 years before graduating. Started at 50K, went up to 60k when i left 4 years later, I left because the rate increases were too small. Now working for an ecommerce company, started at 80K, 18 months later up to 105K. I love what i do, would do it for free.

>la niggas be the craziest
>they do some shady shit
>y'all better not come to my studio with that fake shit
>y'all better not come to my funeral with that fake shit

Just keep it 8 more than 92 wit me
>>
File: The ones behind it all.jpg (143 KB, 813x729) Image search: [Google]
The ones behind it all.jpg
143 KB, 813x729
>>24325440
>>Do (or did) you attend a college?
>Currently in one.
>>Did you get a degree?
>Probably not going to graduate
>>What is (or was) you major?
>Computer engineering, then I copped out and switched to business
>>How is that working out for you?
>It's terrible, and I hate myself for doing it.

>my circle got so small this a period
>>
>>24323682
Yes, University of Southern Chad
>Did you get a degree?
Working on it currently, 2nd year student with junior standing
Biological Sciences, pre-med
Just fine, currently have a 4.0 but probably won't last soon.
>>
>>24325466
>yes
>Did you get a degree?
>nope, dropped out of first year
>math
>i now drive a truck for a living

>held down a nigger ever since he a little nigger
>>
>>24325499
not sure what that means, sorry family
>>
>>24325461
The writing has been on the wall for some time. I can't bring myself to go to class anymore, let alone graduate.
>>
File: image.jpg (197 KB, 1199x752) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
197 KB, 1199x752
Yes
>Did you get a degree?
Yes
Computer Science
I have a decent job, am able to live on my own, can afford stuff I want. I am also lonelier and more depressed than I have ever been in my entire life... so, there's also that.
>>
>>24325374
>>24325446

What kind of autist collects fedora pictures to make this irrelevant joke?
>>
>>24325522
Nice dubs.

Go to your school's counselor. In many places they're free, in some others ,they're not too expensive. You need to get pills to help your shitty mood or you will fail and the rest of your life will be more shit.

I know how you feel, my 3d waifu was in all my classes for 4 years. By the end, I tried to kill myself because I couldn't be with her. Because of that, my gpa was garbage and I didn't get into grad school and I'm going to be a wageslave for the rest of my life. For fuck's sake, do something RIGHT NOW to get those pills, at least while you're in college. YOu don't have to continue after that if you dont' want.
>>
File: fedoralad speaking 2u.jpg (43 KB, 332x396) Image search: [Google]
fedoralad speaking 2u.jpg
43 KB, 332x396
>>24325569
>What kind of autist collects fedora pictures to make this irrelevant joke?

>I never learned to be nothing but a real nigger
>>
undergrad comp sci, math minor, works out great make a lot of money as an undergrad. Nothing 5 figures is out there so that's excellent.
>>
File: 1447741805920.png (184 KB, 332x396) Image search: [Google]
1447741805920.png
184 KB, 332x396
>>24325595

>i made something for ya
>>
File: this is a picture of you.jpg (68 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
this is a picture of you.jpg
68 KB, 1280x720
>>24325689
>don't come to my studio with that fake shit
>>
>>24325587
I've been on psychiatric medicine before, and it only made me feel worse.

None of my issues have to do with women or relationships, and I honestly don't understand how someone destroy himself over something so petty.
>>
Yes
Ongoing
Finance/econ

I regret doing this I am so fucking stupid I don't look like the dudes in American psycho I'm the furthest thing from Chad how the fuck am I gonna get a job on wall street reeeeeeeeeee

Getting really high grades though, might just go for phD in econ and fuck around in a govt job
>>
>>24325728
>None of my issues have to do with women or relationships, and I honestly don't understand how someone destroy himself over something so petty.
Well fuck you too then.
>>
File: 1447742176306.jpg (148 KB, 972x720) Image search: [Google]
1447742176306.jpg
148 KB, 972x720
>>24325708

>hey bro
>>
Yes
>Did you get a degree?
Yes
Microbiology
Going back to school for chemical engineering, so not well. Starting to really hate it. At first I was happy because I got enough transfer credits to not have to take any labs my first couple of years, but its hard to feel engaged when everything is all computers and equations on a paper. I miss working in a lab.
>>
>>24325739
I'm sorry. that was a little too mean. It's just tiring to see people only talk about their lack of relationships. I come here to be in the company of those that failed in life and only find that. It just gets to me after awhile.
>>
>>24325728

That's because you're a virgin, or you've never actually been in love besides puppy love, or you haven't had shitty women.
>>
>>24323682

Yeah, I'm in it right now.

>Did you get a degree?
Working on bachelor's right now.

Computer science. Aiming for artificial intelligence or machine learning in graduate level stuff.

It's slow but I'm getting somewhere at least.
Worst case scenario I have an undergrad's degree for computer science, a decent chance of some kind of decent paying job, and I can code video games or something in my free time.

Feels good to be doing something.
>>
>>24325868
I'm actually not virgin, but the latter could be the case. It's just hard to see it as anything other than petty while I'm trying to choose between homelessness and suicide.
>>
>>24325446
I don't get the reference sorry man. I've always been fascinated with alchemy and how out ancestors treated it like magic. Can I be your friendly neighborhood drug dealer?
>>
Anyone here doing a business degree? I feel like I'm the only person in r9k who is...

What are you doing, what is it like?
>>
UCLA
Yes
Molecular, Cell, Developmental Biology
NEET for 2 years. Going back to school so I can get another BS to be a hospital tech
>>
>>24325954

A cheating whore can be enough to ruin your life, no matter how on-track you would otherwise be. I was very fortunate to get back into school after I was given the boot for being unable to do anything at all when my ex cheated on me. I tried therapy, heavy working out, talking to people, but I ended up unable to control myself and barely passed the few courses I didn't drop the semester after I found out. You become a different person.

I'm really sorry to hear about your problems. You have it rough. I really hope you pull through. You only get one life, and I hope yours turns around someday. When life looks like it's over, it's easy to think unhealthy and self-destructive things you would never consider in a decent state. When life becomes at least okay, then suicide becomes an alien notion. You can make it. Please don't give up. I believe in you.
>>
>>24325541
>Computer Science
how much dosh do you make?Im computer eng right now..
>>
>Yes
>Yes
>English/minor in math. Now I'm doing graduate work and trying to get into law school.
>It's going okay. My gpa is only a 3.7 so that really bums me out because I need a 3.9 to get into my dream school. Stressful as fuck because I haven't taken out any student loans so I have to work nearly full time (as a bartender, which I fucking HATE) to support myself. Hoping it will all be worth it in the end and I'll actually get into law school and enjoy myself.
>tfw I probably won't
>>
>>24325981
My bf has a business degree and he's a corporate banker. He enjoys it, but the hours are absolute garbage.
>>
>>24323682

Yes, Adelphi University
Working on a BFA
Acting
Actually really well. I have a few job prospects and projects opening up to me. Grad school also seems doable.
>>
>>24326242
well that confirms it, I have chosen the wrong profession. Should have went into computing science like the rest of the autists
>>
No. Self-taught
>Did you get a degree?
n/a
Also not quite applicable, but I self-studied mathematics and computer engineering. Currently learning physics for fun, and to maybe do some research in theoretical physics in my spare time, if I can find a way to publish my research.

Pretty good t b h. Doing my own business, making a very frugal living, but income has steadily risen over the past few months. Maybe not a path I would recommend, but I actually kind of enjoy my life.
>>
>>24326138
Sorry to hear. I'm just hoping I'll be able to get my life back together eventually. I just wish I could get fresh start, but I don't know how much it would help. I've blown every one i've ever had in the past.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.