[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guys, I need some advice. I've been a NEET now for 3 years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 1412035523282.jpg (80 KB, 784x811) Image search: [Google]
1412035523282.jpg
80 KB, 784x811
Guys, I need some advice. I've been a NEET now for 3 years and am 27. I've slowly distanced myself from society in that time frame and am pretty socially inept now. My parents seem to have given up and I can see the dissapointment in them every day. This has caused me to become extremely depressed lately. I really need to turn my life around and at least have something going on. I have the opportunity to go back to school in january which I will do but I failed college algebra so many times before I have little hope. People are competing heavily for even low wage jobs in my area. What the heck can I do ? Any advice? Don't want to commit suicide btw.
>>
Put in effort so you don't fail again. Seek out all the support you can, not only in college but with finding work too.

You're already pretty close to being eternally fucked so at least try
>>
>>24322377
Thank you for the supportive words. I definitely understand how desperate my situation is. Man, life is fucking hard. If anyone has anymore advice I really appreciate it.
>>
Forget college, it will only make you more depressed. Go to a trade school and learn a trade like welding, pipe fitting, etc. these jobs are in high demand right now and the schooling itself is pretty easy compared to college.
>>
>>24323102
thanks, I am a pretty big strong guy but have always been a little clumsy with construction related work. Can I get better with practice and schooling?
>>
File: haha le funnay may may XXD.png (346 KB, 782x1015) Image search: [Google]
haha le funnay may may XXD.png
346 KB, 782x1015
>>24322345
You're pretty fucked dude.

Normally I'd come in with words of advice or comfort but I'm all out tonight. Bringing yourself up out of where you are now is going to be tough- the only way you're getting out is if you really, really want it.

And at your age, with your history, there's a good chance that you just don't want it anymore. You've stumbled too many times. Failure is no longer an adjective to describe particular failures in your life- it is your life.

With that being said it is definitely possible.

Four years ago I placed fifth out of more than 2,000 people in my city's marathon. I ran almost half an hour under the qualifying time for the next age bracket up (17 at the time).

A year ago I was incapable of running more than 3 miles at a time- after drinking mouthwash every night (and sometimes several times a day) for a year and a half I was too sick to do much besides sleep and drink.

Earlier this year I worked three jobs pulling in 60+ hrs a week while taking night classes. I was still addicted to alcohol at this point- I drank during class and my evening jobs.

And now I'm 21. I have my bachelor's degree. I'm in good physical health and I have a decent paying job with reasonable hours that I enjoy.

Point being life has its ups and downs. Try and focus on a time in your life when you were triumphant- when you felt you had the world by the balls if even only in your own mind.

Propel yourself forward using that as a benchmark to better yourself.

Pic unrelated: I'll be here for an hour or two if you want someone to talk too
>>
>>24322345
Watch The Dog Whisperer
>>
>>24323627
Thanks for your reply. Sadly I've never really had a very high point in my life. I did hold a low wage pharmacy tech job for 4 years but that's about it. Have some college behind me and graduated high school. Would the army or navy take someone like me at this point? My physical shape is decent and no history of mental issues.

>>24323721
not a fan of the show.
>>
>>24323888
You don't need a real "high point" in your life- you just need to convince yourself that you do. You'd be surprised what delusion can do for you- I think that behind every success is a some small amount of delusion.

Maybe its nothing spectacular or special. Maybe its something that most everyone else has experienced at one point or another in their life but none of that matters- because it happened to you and you're special goddamnit.

Even something as small as being hired, acing a test, kissing a girl or confronting a rude customer. Play it up in your mind. You're not the 27 year old who lives in his parent's basement- you're x,y and/or z quality/experience.

The military would probably take you. They're having massive problems recruiting "qualified" soldiers (where qualified means graduating highschool and not being a total lardass/ex-con.).

If your parents are willing to pay for school you might want to look at your school's ROTC program. Comfy government benefits- earlyish retirement- its not a bad gig.

Just going straight into the military probably isn't too bad either all things considered but I'd seriously consider ROTC. If you're truly having trouble with math see if you can fulfill those distribution credits with logic or other, similar classes.
>>
>>24324078
>If your parents are willing to pay for school you might want to look at your school's ROTC program

Scratch that maybe- I'm pretty sure there are ROTC scholarships that'll pay for most or all of your schooling. I used to box a little with some rotc kids but so I know a bit about the program but I'm far from an expert.
>>
Where are all those neetlyfe faggots and why aren't they flooding this thread with comments about how you're a fool for giving up the superior lifestyle?
>>
>>24324254
my guess is that they ignore threads like these. Most of them will eventually be in a similar situation though.
>>
>>24322345
I was kind of similar to you, NEET from age 21-25. Had an associate's degree and a shit job history before that.

First, definitely do not go back to college. That will just be a waste of time. College is all about networking now, even if you manage to graduate, it won't do anything for you.

What I did was lie like crazy on my resume to cover my gigantic work gaps, and I got lots of interviews and temp office jobs nearly immediately. Found the IT job I've had for 6 years now within 5 months of job searching. It's only around $40k/year, but the job is cake and income is far more than I need to support myself.

It's not as difficult as you think to support yourself and not be a burgerflipping wageslave, even in your situation.
>>
>>24324501
thanks, but do you think the associates degree helped at all in getting you hired? Maybe I should at least get my associates.
>>
>>24322345
in all seriousness, college is a waste of time unless you want to go into a field that requires a degree (doctor, engineer, lawyer etc)

go to college/some kind of trade school with a purpose. dont be like all those chads who go to college because its the thing you do after high school then end up in a mountain of debt with a useless degree. go to learn a skillset that will get you a job
>>
>>24324501
What did you need for the IT job? Are you just good with computers or was that from your associates? I'm not above lying my ass off either.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.