[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who else feels like they will never be smart enough?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 13
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 414x218) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 414x218
Who else feels like they will never be smart enough?
>>
File: 1304808755051.png (67 KB, 350x338) Image search: [Google]
1304808755051.png
67 KB, 350x338
>>24319576
>keep getting told how smart I am by different people through my life
>can't ever turn it into success at anything that matters
>>
I feel you anon im god awful at math and i only feel despair when i try so i feel you
>>
I'm more worried about my ability to read people and empathize. For all my intuition I am still so disconnected. Other people understand me but I don't get them. Is this autism?
>>
>>24320131
My nigger.

When I have to experience math, I feel as though I can kill myself at any moment.

Maybe math will be the key to finally leaving this god forsaken shithole.
>>
Maybe so im not sure but its gotten to the point where i just write about how my day is going and dumb shit like that in math. Also i fucked failed math last year redoing the same fucking awful course. Cant focus. Anxiety. And the teacher doesnt seem to help me. Whatever.
>>
>>24320159
I've noticed the problem is with math teachers, not math itself.

It's one thing to comprehend math, and have a knack for it, but to teach is a completely different subject. It's important that every student learns which method of problem solving is best for them and I would go so far as to say most people need individual tutoring. Students can't learn as well when they are wasting time trying to remember how to do something the way the teacher is used to.
>>
I fucked up my calculus quiz despite studying for hours. My friend, who didn't even study, got a better score than me. Every time I walk into class it's like waves hitting the shore, slowly eroding my life away.
>>
>Parents constantly instilled in me that I'm super smart
>Now in uni
>Failing classes
>They're all too hard
>Never learned how to study because I thought I could just wing everything since I was so smart

Fucking hell.
>>
yes all the time i'm horrible at math i don't even know my multiplication table
>>
File: deadonarrival.png (461 KB, 1059x962) Image search: [Google]
deadonarrival.png
461 KB, 1059x962
>>24320322

>you will always be inferior no matter how much effort you put in
>>
>>24320362
Oh man. I wish I could say I didn't know this feel. I'm going nowhere fast.
>>
>>24319576
You know what board you are on right? The only ones on here with confidence in anything are the trolling normies.
>>
>>24320400
What sucks is that everybody loves my calculus teacher. I can't even complain about him 'cause everyone is so ready to defend him, like they're walking on springs, ready to pounce. He hates me and thinks I'm a complete retard.
>>
If you're bad at calculus does it mean you're stupid? I get As in my physics and engineering classes. English is my strongest class. My English teacher tells me that my essays are among the best in the class regularly. Can't catch a break in calc, though.
>>
>interested in history/maps in high school (mostly because of civilization/medieval ii total war)
>think I'm a bit of a whiz at it since even a "smart kid" couldn't point out Cyrpus on a map
>get into college
>realize I know jack shit compared to professors
>but only one other student in the class admitted to majoring in history, and I've no basis for becoming acquainted since study groups are 2spooky4me and no one approached me about one anyway
>could probably be decent at history compared to professors but that would require investment when I've depressed the fuck out of myself over shitty pampered problems
just
>>
>>24320400
>>24320625
>>24320131
>>24320159
HOLY SHIT. Are you guys me? Im in my first semester of uni doing eng and calc 1 is kicking my ass despite having A's in all my other 4 classes. What do?if i dont pass this shit i gotta retake and summer and puts me behind a bit. I cannot believe taking this shit again in 8 weeks only will help, what if i fail again?FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
File: 1_1020666425675h.jpg (17 KB, 720x490) Image search: [Google]
1_1020666425675h.jpg
17 KB, 720x490
>>24319576

Some of us feel like we are TOO smart.

"Gee, you have such a high IQ--why aren't you running Microsoft or getting elected to the Senate or conquering the world?? Why? Why?????"

> an hero
>>
File: 1445990103440.png (160 KB, 748x1036) Image search: [Google]
1445990103440.png
160 KB, 748x1036
Not me, I have control over all you little roaches.
You are nothing more than a game to me.
>>
>>24320131
i know this too much. It fucking sucks studying so much for a test and get nothing in return. What is your grading scale? 70% of my grade comes from test and 30% is homework/quizzes/
>>
File: bee urself.png (39 KB, 914x1091) Image search: [Google]
bee urself.png
39 KB, 914x1091
>>24319716
>>24320362
>>24320640
>>24322002
>smart but lazy
>>
>>24321935
Khanacademy and do practice problems. And google every problem you don't understand.
>>
>>24322228
I was "smart" enough to not to have to study whatsoever in high school and I took 8 AP classes and passed all of them with Bs and As except AP Calc BC (D first semester, B second semester).

I couldn't pass Calc 1 first year in college and had to retake it again despite having taking it twice. All my other classes are fine though
>>
i'm smart...so I got that going for me
>>
>people say that I am smart
>just pay 120% attention to lectures,write down everything,ask everything I can and have good memory,don't even put effort into studying
>feel like shit because I am just smart enough for STEM subjects, can't write a single text that isn't a lab report without fucking up
feels autistic
>>
tfw brother goes to prestigious private school and i go to shitty state school with 80% acceptance rate
s-sorry mom and dad...
>>
File: wewlad.jpg (251 KB, 1154x613) Image search: [Google]
wewlad.jpg
251 KB, 1154x613
/r9k/ seems to be particularly bad at maths, or at least open about it compared to other boards
every thread like this confirms it
>>
File: 1445977175986.jpg (27 KB, 640x454) Image search: [Google]
1445977175986.jpg
27 KB, 640x454
>not smart enough for science
>not creative enough for the arts
>>
>>24322330
>passed all of them with Bs and As except AP Calc BC (D first semester, B second semester)
>couldn't pass Calc 1 first year in college
Did you actually take the AP tests though?
>>
I respect people that know their limits and use them accordingly much more to be honest.
>>
>bad at maths
>like, complete shit at maths
>have enough of it, and follow the /sci/ wiki for math textbooks, starting from basic algebra
>go from a 520 in math, to an 800 on the SAT
>now studying math at uni, three years later, and in my sophomore year and doing good

just read books, lads
>>
I'm convinced i got brain damage. Just got a email from my professor about a philosophy exam I took last week.

>started preparing 6 weeks in advance
>read the book multiple times cover to cover
>reviewed the notes from class
>whenever I ran into a complicated concept, I copied the explanation from the book into a little card and read it aloud 200 times until I memorized it
>made about 50~ cards total, would practice reading them in the bus, during breaks at work, before bed etc.
>took the exam
>answered every question in full
>waiting for the email, really excited
>scrolled down until I saw my name
>got the BARE MINIMUM required to pass

I just don't get it. what's wrong with me
>>
>>24322530
How can people even do stuff like this? The fuck does this mean?
>>
how do i into calculus? i practice hard but get fucked every test.
>>
>>24322901
read Spivak Calculus :^)
>>
>>24322822
It's philosophy who gives a fuck. IMHO u wasted all of that time studying for philosophy test. The idea that you can test someone's ability to philosophize is itself retarded. At most it should test your logic and reasoning skills which is already math class pretty much.
>>
am i supposed to know what the fuck this shit means
it's all fucking made up
>>
tfw i spent all of my high school years reading philosophy but parents force me into STEM
just cvck my shit up fvm
>>
>>24322939
What the flying fuck is that, physics?
>>
>>24319576
>Who else feels like they will never be smart enough?

This sounds like a school problem I suggest you stop going.
>>
>>24322985
no, general chemistry
>>
>>24322939
niga what the fuck is this
>>
>>24323010
you're a huge faggot
>>
>>24322939
oh fuck. don't tell me thats physics. for fucks sake i don't need that shit in my life
>>
>>24322939
molecular orbital theory?
>>
>>24319576
I know that feel. Even in things I'm "good" at, why does it even matter if there are still perhaps thousands of people better than you?
>>
>>24322939
>/r9k/ having trouble with Calc 1

Fucking kek
>>
>>24319576
the only subject i ever had trouble with was math.
and since i was so bad it stressed me out so i would do worse in my other classes.
fuck math desu
>>
>>24323053
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

at least its been established that im a dumb ass..what now?
>>
>>24323067
it's not calc 1, he's being a fucking nigger
>>
>>24322330
Is Calc BC hard? I have it next term and I'm kind of scared. I got a 5 on the Calc AB AP test and A's every quarter, but AP physics C is kicking my ass right now.
>>
>gonna study computer science next year
>barely passed math in high school
Is this gonna be difficult? I don't remember anything.
>>
>>24323125
most comp sci have do up to linear algebra/diff eqs, good luck anon.
>>
>>24323125
Depends. In my CS program I need to take Calc 1 and 2, and also Physics 1 and 2. Yours may be different.
As for actual programming, it's more about logic and critical thinking than working with numbers.
>>
I never finished 9th grade and was in the basic classes
>>
>>24323174
how easy is this course sequence? Im in computer eng right now.

https://www.dtcc.edu/academics/transfer-options/connected-degrees/detail?Computing%20and%20Information%20Science&id=NzU=
>>
>>24322228
i wish it was true
>>
>>24320279
You are right. In year 7, 8, 9 I would get D's and E's on my report for maths. I got a Tudor and he understood the way I learnt, so he taught me that way. And i got a B for the first time, in year 10. Though, i had learning difficulties up until year 7, so, if I were getting C's back in the day, I'd be getting A's right now.

If you don't live with your parents, I wouldn't recommend getting one, due to the cost.
>>
>tfw commor core maths fucked me up for life
everything was great until this shit happened now im paying for it in uni.
>>
>>24324191
how young do you have to be to be affected by common core
>>
how large is the difference between compsci and comp engineering courses?
>>
>>24324240
You'll be surprised.
>>
>>24324240
im 19 and in my first semester of uni taking calc 1. im the guy who posted earlier above. I seriously have to put my life on halt and deeply figure out why im fucking up in calc. my math foundation was built on utter shit and took weeks of khan academy to try and fix but im thinking maybe its just my logic...idk at this point
>>
all you guys having trouble with calculus 99% of the time the problem is lacking strong algebra and trigonometry skills.

calc builds on all shit you learned in algebra and trig and you need to really have that stuff down. once you have a firm grasp of that calculus is really very simple. if you are struggling in calculus take your school's precalculus course to refresh your memory.
>>
File: 1447392467292.jpg (220 KB, 1012x1060) Image search: [Google]
1447392467292.jpg
220 KB, 1012x1060
>>24319576
I think most of us had our chance. I had my chance during high school but decided to fuck off and isolate myself, play vidya, abuse substances and jack off while doing nothing valuable with my time. I got good grades but honestly stopped learning for the most part during middle school
>>
>>24324370
b-but anon t-the time a-and m-money!this would push back graduation by at least 2 years (sad)kek.png
>>
>>24324370
FIRMLY GRASP IT
also how do i get good at physics fuck applied maths
>>
>>24324473
what

precalc is one semester
calc is another

you are only adding one semester extra or you could do summer/winter classes and work your ass off

>>24324485
get good at reading wrod problems and translating them into numbers
>>
>tfw ugly and dumb
what fucking lottery, usually people have one or the other(good looks)
>>
File: 1447710800251.gif (451 KB, 544x384) Image search: [Google]
1447710800251.gif
451 KB, 544x384
band
>>
>>24325005
JUST

FUCK

MY
>>
To be fair, yes every person is born with a particular capacity to figure out and comprehend advanced concepts. Nobody can really agree on how to quantify this ability, but rest assured it does exist and varies from person to person. Just like the same way that some people are taller and faster and stronger and more beautiful, or shorter and slower and weaker and uglier, there are people who are smarter and dumber. That's just the way the world is - you can chalk it up to fate, destiny, evolution, God, but nothing will ever change that as a fact.

Considering that reality, the only way to really live in this world isn't to become the strongest, fastest, smartest person, but rather to accept whatever limitations you have and live with those limitations. Because that's simply what we've been given by random chance.

We're afraid of recognizing the limitations of our capabilities as a society because of Disney movies and whatnot - and due to this strange notion that you can achieve whatever you want in life through hard work alone. This notion of equality and a level playing field in society has people competing with people who are far superior to them in natural ability. Hence the tons of clamoring for spots in top universities, people trying to live lives they can't afford or sustain, landwhales pretending to be as beautiful as thin models.
>>
>>24325900
For example, we've shot down IQ as a measure of intellectual ability because the reality that most of us won't become the next Einstein hurts too many of people's feelings. Like if you tell a landwhale that she'll never be a top model, she'll flip out on you. But being told that you can be the next Einstein regardless of your actual intellectual ability is even more harmful than being told you're dumb, because you're literally going to try to live up to an insanely impossible standard to uphold.

You just can't compete with the likes of smarter people, since its like trying to race a horse with a Ferrari. There's nothing to feel bad about however, since those people did nothing to deserve their Ferrari given to them at birth and you didn't do anything to deserve your horse. It's just fucking random chance and genetics.

So leave the being smart thing to smart people, and just go and live your life. You don't determine your place in this world, the world determines your place in it.
>>
>>24319576
>Always been told I'm smart by everyone, never feel smart though
>Always told I'm so creative by everyone, never seem to be able to make anything interesting
>Always told I'm good looking by everyone, never feel good looking

I think people realize how shit I am and just don't want me to off myself.
>>
>tfw 4 days left to drop a class I can no longer get an A in, but it'll leave a mark on my transcript
>the professor is a bro, but I'm dogshit at multiple choice so I got Cs on the tests despite almost acing all the essays
idk how my parents would react, is a mark on your transcript from a lateish drop really bad? It won't affect my GPA
>>
>>24323098

No. Just do all your homework. Don't know how that anon managed to do so poorly at it, it is even easier than algebra. Just a few concepts to learn like differentiation and integration which are just memorizing patterns. Maybe a few theorems like the Intermediate Value Theorem and Mean Value Theorem. You learn to apply them, not prove them, in Calculus.
>>
>>24325900
>>24325918

Underrated posts.

I'd argue that living your life to the best of your limitations is actually what it means to "work hard" though. You seem to be saying that putting an effort to do your best in life is futile because everything was predetermined at birth.
>>
>>24326288
In a way a lot of things are predetermined at birth. I think the hardest part of life is accepting that there are just things we can't change, without going as far as to believe that there isn't anything we can change at all.

So its a bit of both worlds really, nothing is really set in stone or completely black and white. Your destiny is caked in setting cement if you will - slushy, hardly pliable and grey with uncertainty.

We're used to being exposed to images and tales of nothing but exceptional people in the media and we think that it's somehow realistic for normal people to become those people. Hence all the rage about following your dreams and never giving up. There is no such thing as a mediocre hero.

I remember as a kid playing the Halo games and thinking that Master Chief is literally the coolest shit ever since he pretty much determines the entire course of human destiny on his own. But what really set him apart from other heroes is that in his lore its pretty much explicitly stated that he's just a lucky guy rather than a guy that gets his way because of his raw skill or talent. I mean there are Spartans that worked harder than him, but none of them were as lucky as he was.

Everyone and their dog these days wants to "change the world", when in reality only a very few lucky people actually have the privilege of being able to do so. As for the rest of us, you know the AI for the marines in those games? That's us. We're useless, unreliable and helpless in comparison. It's just a bit ironic since although we play as an unstoppable supersoldier in those games, in reality we are just as every bit as insignificant as the marines in those games that we brush aside. That's the hardest thing to accept.

In the movies, we're used to seeing everyone but the hero get shot for some miraculous reason. In reality, we're probably the one that gets shot.
>>
>gonna go to school for CS because I can't deal with working in warehouses anymore
>definitely going to fail and end up working in a warehouse until I die by my own hand in a shitty apartment I can barely afford at age 40

I hate my life
>>
File: 1446052395469.jpg (145 KB, 624x950) Image search: [Google]
1446052395469.jpg
145 KB, 624x950
>>24319576
>tfw always felt like I was 1-2 years behind classmates mentally
I guess Im socially retarded
>>
>>24320159
this is strange to me because i have a lot of fun with math. i easily day dream in other classes.
>tfw you finally understand something math related that you were struggling with
the best feeling
>>
File: 1447465692462.jpg (106 KB, 564x560) Image search: [Google]
1447465692462.jpg
106 KB, 564x560
>>24327549
pretty much describes most other NEETs and wagekeks on here. I imagine lots of us will settle down with some roastie single mother in our mid 30s just to have some kind of relationship and joint income to ease the financial stress
>>
>>24322228
l hate this meme
>>
>Have the curiosity but not the capacity

Why cruel world?
>>
>>24319716
This.
So much this.

Fuck you original comments bot
>>
>>24320567
You probably are to be honest.
>>
>>24322642
underrated comment

robocockblock
>>
>>24322530
I know this may come as a shock, but most people don't possess the prerequisite knowledge to understand what you just posted. You're not inherently smarter than others because you were educated in a particular field and have more knowledge pertaining to it as a result.
>>
>>24319576
yeah and I keep thinking ill get myself killed
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.