[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the basics to looking like you're good at piano
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7
File: download (10).jpg (7 KB, 200x236) Image search: [Google]
download (10).jpg
7 KB, 200x236
What are the basics to looking like you're good at piano when you're really not?
What chords can you play around with melodically to sound like you know what you're doing?
Will learning 7th chords make me look like the big man on campus to nonplayers?
>>
learn pentatonics
people will think you are the shit
>>
Pretty much just playing anything in piano will make you look like the man.
In guitar you have this problem: people consider being good at guitar as "shredding" but you can't "shred" on an acoustic, so you can never properly daze them.
But people don't know anything about piano, so really just learn whatever.
>>
>>24318164
https://youtu.be/O5CGfssbR4s
>>
>>24318087
I used to improvise on a public piano at the library and I can tell you I do not even really know how to read sheet music but I had fucked around on a midi keyboard since I was 15 so it actually sounds alright, if a little austere. My first piece of advice is to establish the mode you want to play in. Find a scale you find sounds interesting and personally appealing. The next step is to find the base chords of the mode (relative sharpening/flattening) of the major/minor chords. Then you need to get used to transposing to other keys by maintaining the distances but building off of different notes. Lastly you need to develop an intuition for when to play accidentals (notes outside the mode) to keep the sound interesting.

Following this crude method several people approached me with different requests and I told them I didn't actually know how to play, at which point they would give me a look ranging from confusion to derision or even disgust.
>>
>>24318269
Good advice :DD
>>
uh, why go through all the trouble to make it "look" like you know what you're doing, and instead just fucking learn it?
>>
Learn how to play those piano songs from that asian guy (yirima or something). His songs are really popular are pretty easy to play.
>>
>>24319188
I hope those faces are not implying contempt as I pretty much gave you exactly what you wanted; a method for fucking around on the piano without sounding like the retard you actually are.
>>
>>24318087
>>24318087
I generally walk up to pianos and play a C diminished to sound edgy

>>24318211
>>24318211
fucking hell that was painful
>>
>>24319240
shut the fuck up
>>
>>24318087
College humor has got you covered! xDD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdbP6cSFJXs
>>
>>24319266
What the fuck ls wrong with you
>>
>>24319346
I don't know

JUST
>>
>>24319299
>not doing C# instead and arpeggiating it to make the metal gear solid "alert" sound effect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5qbcRAXVk
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH-wJZQI0jY Watch a mildly autistic guy teach you the basics of faking it
>>
>>24318087
Learn octatonic scales/12 tone rows then pretend to be avant garde.
>>
File: REEEEEEE.jpg (724 KB, 1240x1754) Image search: [Google]
REEEEEEE.jpg
724 KB, 1240x1754
>tfw can't play this fast enough
kill me
>>
>>24318199
This,I play like shit and people still get impressed
>>
>>24320324
Piano is a much better solo instrument than guitar. This is coming from someone who stupidly studied classical guitar in college. Piano is louder, has a much wider range, and voice independence is a million times easier. Unless you are really fucking good at guitar, you need other instruments playing with you to sound impressive.
>>
>>24320744
Harmonica is good for solo too IMO
>>
>>24318087
learn a scale and how to play chords in the left hand. I don't know what to tell you, but if you can play arpeggiated chords in the left hand and play a nice melody in the right hand by ear then you should be fine. If you learn and drill the scale for hours at home or whatever you will get the notes under your fingers and you will be able to think of a melody and it will come out because your fingers will know which keys to press.

As for seventh chords, they're lame for the most part. I think the one exception is learning to voice a ii-V-I-I progression nicely, you can loop it as many times as you want and play the melody by ear. it sounds real smooth.
>>
File: 1439264639465.gif (4 KB, 256x272) Image search: [Google]
1439264639465.gif
4 KB, 256x272
>>24320071
I'd just simplify the left hand to one octave arpeggios. Unless you are learning it for music lessons and need every note.
>>
>>24319862
are you kiddin me nigga playing 12 tone rows is hard as shit.
>>
>>24318087
a good way is to play on the black keys. pretty much anything you play will sound fine, as it outlines a pentatonic scale.
>>
>>24321062
hahaha try SINGING them bruh
>>
>>24321094
HAHA you couldn't pay me. It is nearly impossible unless you have perfect pitch.
>>
>>24321038
I am to perfectionist to do that also I can't do the stringendo because my hands give up in the middle of it
Then there is a second one
>>
>>24321062
Not to mention nobody who listens to it will be able to tell the difference between Schoenberg and going full retard
>>
>>24318164
>pentatonic scale
https://youtu.be/QaX7pKxKzSU?t=1m7s
>>
File: 1434871118564.jpg (84 KB, 960x924) Image search: [Google]
1434871118564.jpg
84 KB, 960x924
>>24321203
hahahahha you really made me laugh, because I am realizing how it's not just me and his music really does sound like garbage. It holds only a small amount of significance compositionally. He was only important to a select group of tight assholes who went to go see his performances.

If you're actually interested in this stuff, Webern is way better. He doesn't try so hard, and I actually like his orchestration and use of timbre.
>>
File: 1430253357943.png (367 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1430253357943.png
367 KB, 800x800
>>24318087
>tfw you play rachmaninoff and nobody cares because its not made of poppy sounding chords
fucking kill me, im a load of wasted talent
>>
>>24321313
start at 1:07, for some reason it's not
>>
>>24321334
At least you have talent
>tfw I will never be able to play my favorite pieces because they are hard as fuck
>>
>>24320071
that looks easy as fuck m8 why is it giving you a hard time?
>>
>>24321170
the absolute most helpful thing that my piano teacher said to me was to relax my hands. It sounds counterintuitive, but I tend to tense up and my muscles fight each other when I try to speed up. Just remember that your fingers know the patterns, you just have to stop fighting yourself.
>>
>>24321443
>>24321170
Maybe I just have weak skeleton hands or something
>>
>>24321334
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM21gPmkDpI

Composers of Rachmaninoff's calibre make music meant to be appreciated by other musicians and connoisseurs. Normal people don't realize how difficult the music is because after a certain level in complexity their ears just can't differentiate between one song and the next.

Mozart is really the only person to ever truly bridge that gap. His music holds such appeal because there is something for everyone. He's like the George Lucas of composers, Try playing some Mozart stuff.
>>
>>24321474
do you practice with metronome
>>
>>24321605
what pieces for example? when i was younger i learned the easy mozart pieces such as k545 but other than that i've never really cared for him. im currently learning chopin's fantasie impromptu
>>
File: 1418531527005.jpg (22 KB, 456x628) Image search: [Google]
1418531527005.jpg
22 KB, 456x628
>taught myself to read sheet music
>teaching myself music theory seems like a huge mountain
>really want to improv or at least get decent at it
>>
>>24321694
take lessons
>>
>>24318087
The chords you are looking for are I-V-vi-IV
>>
>>24321626
Yes
>tfw robot won't let me post
>>
>>24321687
well the important question is what level are you at. And hey! I'm also learning Chopin, Nocturne 27 no.1 in C# minor. I'll check out the impromptu and come back with a suggestion based on the difficulty of that piece.
>>
>>24318087
Kill yourself you massive faggot.
>>
>>24321687
If you are technically proficient enough to play passages that fast, I'd recommend the third movement of K39, Mozart's Piano Concerto #2 in B flat. Now THAT is a crowd pleaser. You probably don't have an orchestra to back you, but you don't really need one.
>>
>>24320791

>harmonica

good one m8
>>
>>24321748
it's always better to play at a speed where you can hit every note than to rush it and sound like garbage. I have a piece that I played at 1/2 speed for awhile and revisited a year later and bam I can now play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpbvteTgnjA

play this at 1.5 speed and that is how fast it is meant to be played. she is not good at it but you will get the idea.
>>
>>24318269
That sounds pretty cool, anon. Are there any smallish keyboards that you can recommend?
>>
>>24321889
thanks piano brah, ill check it out.
>>
>>24321334

>load of wasted talent

Nope, I call bullshit. You're either playing babby mode or just suck. Much of Rachmaninoff is incredibly impressive even to completely untrained listeners.
>>
>>24321958
Gib depressing pieces pls
The hardest thing I can play is this
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r8JbeZKyrTc
>>
File: 1439264164876.jpg (112 KB, 419x536) Image search: [Google]
1439264164876.jpg
112 KB, 419x536
>>24322301
you sound like you would really like chopin or maybe robert schumann a lot. what key is this piece in?
>>
>>24322418
http://delldongo.free.fr/transcriptions/pdf/060711-maya.pdf
It's fan made so it might be wrong
>>
>>24322418
>>24322301

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzXqjcOASG0

If you can read music fairly well and have a teacher, here is some chopin, op. 9 no. 2 is easier but it is in a major key and you asked for depressing.

If you are not classically trained, Album for the Young is pretty much the only Schumann you will be able to get your fingers around. Some beautiful pieces here, my favorites for you are wintertime I and II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXEQ-gIxu28

and II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYEX-bSvoCc

All this sheet music is available on IMSLP
>>
>>24322180
considering that ill perform his prelude in g minor in a room full of people and the only attention ill get is somebody asking if can play the star wars theme, its pretty depressing. its only a matter of seconds until somebody asks me if they can have a turn, followed by them playing a few chords from a pop song and attracting a huge amount of grills.
>>
>>24322720
One of my favorite parts about the last two pieces is that Schumann was severely mentally ill, and symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder are painfully evident in his musical depiction of winter. In these pieces he is trying to describe the bleakness of winter to a child. I find it VERY depressing.
>>
Is it easy to start on piano if you are decent at another instrument (guitar in my case)? Also how do you find a good teacher, and what are decent rates? Do I just try and find an Asian one? Are there any sad or calming pieces I can learn note by note that won't take forever to memorize?
>>
>>24323060
if you have a well enough understanding of actual music theory and dont just play power chords on your guitar, then you should be fine.
for the music teacher, just go to your local music shop and see if they have private lessons there or if they can recommend somebody. the amount a teacher costs doesnt necessarily make them better or worse. i used to take lessons 45 dollars for half an hour, and now im taking lessons from a new teacher for 20 dollars for an hour and 30 minutes, and im learning more from the teacher i have now.
a sad calming piece thats for the most part, not technically challenging, i recommend this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w-0-rROkbw
>>
>>24321327
Thats not what I meant. Count yourself amongst the plebs who cannot into Schoenberg. As far as I am concerned Webern is the worst of the meme trilogy of 12 tone composers. Berg is the greatest because of his phenomenal ability to reconcile 12 tone with more conventional modes of composition. Webern just creates sparse meaningless soundscapes like that hack Cage
>>
>>24321605
Calling Mozart the George Lucas of composers is a fucking insult. Compare him to a film-maker like Kubrick or something
>>
>>24323260

I know minimal theory, I learned the majority of the songs I know by ear, am I fucked?

Also I really enjoy that, I think I'll give it a go.
>>
>>24321334
>>24321605
Romanticism of such is pop. Develop some standards you manchildren.
>>
>>24322301
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3yrEEM5j_s
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.