[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why shouldn't I kill myself?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
File: 1422282935106.jpg (56 KB, 500x366) Image search: [Google]
1422282935106.jpg
56 KB, 500x366
Why shouldn't I kill myself?
>>
>>24294802
I don't know man, but i don't know why you would either
>>
How good is hanging yourself for suicide?
>>
>>24294802

No point.

Embrace the absurdism of it all.
>>
>>24295139

Idk, how well can you tie a noose?
>>
>>24294802
because you can abuse drugs and feel nice

you'll have a great time and than the drugs will eventually kill you
>>
Because you will not make it to vallhalla unless you die in battle.
>>
>>24295221
This
I just laugh every time my shit gets fucked up now. "You literally cannot make this shit up" is my philosophy.
>>
>>24294802
This is not how arguments work.

Arguments, priorities, are decided at the moment of you actually undertaking the decision. If and only if you eventually actually choose to do something, it means it was a reason for you.

We can only tell you what will physically happen if you kill yourself or keep leaving. We cannot tell you why you 'should' because 'should' is an artifact of the present when you actually act upon your prospects regarding the future.
>>
>>24295419
>leaving
*living
>>
File: 03c5b4_5091334.jpg (99 KB, 1350x561) Image search: [Google]
03c5b4_5091334.jpg
99 KB, 1350x561
This.

Now continue being awesome
>>
>>24295460
Is this picture actually used as bait nowadays? It's been some time since I last saw it.
>>
>>24295296
If this was true I would join the military in a heartbeat and never truly be afraid
>>
>>24295460
jesus fucking christ you are so fucking ignorant about suicide arent you? why would someone who wants to die want to go out and live? like how fucking stupid is that logic?
>i want to die
>dude go out and live life to the fullest
>but i dont want to live i want to DIE
what the fuck man that shit really pisses me off you guys just dont understand suicidal ideation do you?
>>
>>24295496
Calm down, man.

That picture just makes (if it iss serious, that is) the simplest necessary vs sufficient condition mistake. 'Not caring' is necessary for achieving stuff, but it's not sufficient (will is needed too).

It's too dumb to be worth the anger.
>>
File: 1446797026154.jpg (42 KB, 700x356) Image search: [Google]
1446797026154.jpg
42 KB, 700x356
there's no loss
>>
>>24294802
Would it get better?
>>
>>24295550
yah youre right.. it was prolly bait anyway but some people do really think like that and it kills me inside that people are so fucked up
>>
File: 1446995101608.jpg (26 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
1446995101608.jpg
26 KB, 700x394
>>24294802
Anime exists to keep you company
>>
>>24294802
All the normies who thought you would do it win.
>>
>>24294802
there is still a chance u will win the lotto, or star in a moving picture. everything is predetermined by the laws of physics. might as well stick it out and see what they got planned u kno. could be good...........
>>
File: 1424828611681.png (61 KB, 403x499) Image search: [Google]
1424828611681.png
61 KB, 403x499
Race war soon in europe
>>
>>24294802
Rousey vs Holm rematch
>>
File: 1443648849531.png (903 KB, 1024x769) Image search: [Google]
1443648849531.png
903 KB, 1024x769
Join the French Foreign legion, remove kebab, come back after your contract is finished and fuck bitches.
>>
Who told you you shouldn't?
>>
>>24295496
are you fucking stupid? i want to die is just the easiest way out of his current life. wtf is wrong with you, people dont want to die JUST BECAUSE THEY WANT TO DIE, they want to die because they want to escape you fucking moron.
the pic just states if you dont want to live your life anymore try living another one.

stop fucking writing on such a topic if you have no slight idea of what is going on in the world you shitlord
>>
>>24296880
>if you dont want to live your life anymore try living another one

'If the thought of doing anything fills you with self-loathing, just try to do something!'
>>
>>24296932
>>24296880
In other words, despite your presumption, you don't understand that suicidality is not directed towards one's 'life', but towards *oneself*. As the wise article once said, you are suicidal *when* your hatred is for the unchangeable in you. You hate the memory (and prospects) of your flaws, and you remember that they're impossible to fix. And before you suggest to 'just accept them if they're really inevitable' -- the idea that you could ever accept them is even worse, because it fills you with fear that you should ever degenerate so far. This only accelerates your efforts because you begin to race with time until your suicidality wears off and you begin to forget and forgive yourself.
>>
>>24297064
In yet other words:

reality =
bearable and fixable = awesome
unbearable, but fixable? = cool, let's fix it
unfixable, but bearable? = sucks, but it's not that bad
unbearable and unfixable = suicidality
>>
File: b8.png (22 KB, 651x429) Image search: [Google]
b8.png
22 KB, 651x429
>>24295496
You are fucking retarded and dont understand what this pic says

It's trying to tell you that if you are going to kill yourself, then you have nothing to stop you from doing anything

You can try to rob a bank and steal 500 million dollars and fly off to New Zealand - if you succeed then you will be happy, if you fail then just kill yourself since you were going to do it anyway

When you are going to kill yourself you are in a situation where no matter what you do it couldnt be any worse.

Try to do crazy shit, rob local stores and break into people's houses to steal their panties - if you succeed you will have a good time, if you fail then you just kill yourself

do you understand now?
>>
>>24297259
And before you say, 'you just have to choose to see it as fixable'.

The fallacy here, which is to be honest pretty hard to define, is that you're mixing a descriptive, objective point of view with one in which one *sees* themselves as a self-determining agent with free will. Normalfags tend to argue that the lone fact that you can tell someone, 'you can elect to see your situation as fixable', and that this in fact gets them to see it differently, is a proof of 'capacity' for change of that person. But objectively, that's never been so -- you simply interfered with their status quo, it is *you* who changed their perceptions. Presumably for the better, but this does absolutely nothing to the validity of the model of suicide in which a person without a fortunate external prompt, external motivation, *is* subject to the if(pain > coping skills) kill(self); rule. This rule, in itself, in its most parsimonious form, has no room for the tautological fact that if that person's coping skills for whatever reason increase, then that person will trivially not be suicidal anymore. Insisting that suicide is 'never rational' because one 'can' choose not to do it is a bit like saying that poverty is not a thing because one 'can' always exit it. The imaginary possibility of self-determination does not invalidate human models of behaviour, sorry. The particular parametres within any particular model (for any particular suicidal person) can, obviously, always be changed by circumstance, but the form, the skeleton, remains the same.
>>
>>24294802
No reason, do it.
>>
>>24297598
In short, people invoke free will, typified by 'you always can...', whenever they are faced with an uncomfortable model of something.

>'People tend to get suicidal/addicted/desperate/aggressive when...'
>'Well yes, but you always can...'

Yes, trivially, but again, that's like saying that if something is no longer itself, then it's something different. Sure, but we're discussing reality here, an aspect, a slice of it. We don't need reminders that things can always be different; that's really vapid non-knowledge.
>>
>>24297445
>if you are going to kill yourself, then you have nothing to stop you from doing anything

That's complete nonsense. Suicidality in no way whatsoever implies universal disregard. If anything, it's the opposite -- suicidal people might often feel too concerned, too limited, and want to escape their compulsions to behave certainly.

And if you're going to say that 'such suicidality is not true suicidality', then, well, you can have your private definition of suicidality which implies total social abandon, but it's not really relevant, because frankly, I think it hardly happens.

>When you are going to kill yourself you are in a situation where no matter what you do it couldnt be any worse.

Absolutely false as well.

>You can try to rob a bank and steal 500 million dollars and fly off to New Zealand
>can

Okay.
>>
>>24297859
And if you mean that suicidal people 'can' choose to disregard social norms, well, then, there's that word again.
>>
>>24294802
Cos having breakfast is quite nice. And a drink everynow and again.
>>
>>24295460

That's how I live my life 24/7. It mask the pain but at the same time you still feel depressed.
>>
>>24297859
>>When you are going to kill yourself you are in a situation where no matter what you do it couldnt be any worse.
>
>Absolutely false as well.

Let me elaborate a bit on this as well.

Your argument seems to be, 'a suicidal person should realize that since they're suicidal, they should be able to do anything, to the effect of those things possibly relieving the suicidality'.

The error, or rater the vainness, of it is in the word 'should'. There is no 'should'. Sure, we could theoretically say 'a person should do everything they want to do'. But so what? In fact, your argument doesn't even seem to specially pertain to suicidality at all. Reality is, people *will not* magically happen to want things. People *are* determined. See >>24297598. Your pseudoargument is basically having a completely fanciful view of suicidality in which human values neatly slide along absolutes: first a person cares about 'absolutely' nothing, then they magically become interested in 'absolutely' anything, and then, if they feel to have failed at it, they can still kill themselves because of their prior 'absolute' lack of values. Such an artificial scenario has again nothing to do with reality in which eventually killing yourself coincides with an infinite factor of other desires: desire to eat something, desire to swat that one mosquito, desire to talk to your ex for the last time, and so on, which the completed death drive just happens to eventually terminate. But up to that point, a person is still very caught in the network of their own do's and don't's.
>>
>>24294802
Your soulmate will die alone.
>>
File: -DaRo81rUvA.jpg (308 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
-DaRo81rUvA.jpg
308 KB, 1280x960
>>24294802
Because there are muslim scum still left in Europe that need to be eradicated in the coming war.
>>
>>24298396
In other words, even if a person manages to relate to the claim that 'I am suicidal, there is no reason for me to avoid doing anything', it still remains a mere formula that *in reality* will never inform the level of actual emotional valuation -- it will at most affect it, probably rather slightly. The person's actions will still be inhibited, they will still hardly be able to be a dick, much less commit a crime. In reality, that claim will remain a mere ideal. It will remain about as relevant as 'I can do anything I want'.
>>
>>24298396
>>24298887
I still don't know what it means to want something, and even what kinds of things can want things. The best analogy I've thought of is one of an infinite number of vectors all summed to a single one that determines one's subsequent infinitesimally small action. But what is the single vector here? If a person wants to eat and to drink at the same time, they might reach for neither a sandwich or a glass of juice, but for a juicy apple (desire for conservation of energy or time seems to come into play). If the person also wants to go into a specific direction, they'll get the apple that is in the way. If they also want to experience beautiful things, they'll get the prettiest one. But they may, for instance, avoid apples from a certain farmer. And then there come desires on the microscopic scale, too. A person will 'want' to minimize the chemical-energetic expenditure, and extend their arm in the most effective way. And then there're evolutionary 'desires', such as to sustain one's life to reproduce. Some desires seem to entail others. How do they all 'collapse' to determine the next frame of life? What the fuck am I even supposed to read to elucidate if those thoughts mean anything at all?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.