[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would happen in 4chan implemented an upvote/downvote system?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: 1388224771649.jpg (36 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
1388224771649.jpg
36 KB, 500x330
What would happen in 4chan implemented an upvote/downvote system? Just a simple way to say "I liked/did not like this post". No censorship or post movement or anything. A post with -200 votes will still be visible and in the same position as it was compared to the post below it with +200 votes. They also wouldn't mean anything. No karma or gold or anything.

Would it change 4chan for the better or worse? Or everything stay exactly the same?
>>
>>24285074
Fuck off reddit. Seriously just fuck off.
>>
>>24285124
this

Seriously fuck off back to _____ idc if you been here since 1993 just fuck off and leave us alone you aren't wanted here
>>
>>24285124
>>24285631

You two are gentlemen and scholars, upvoted.
>>
>>24285124
>>24285631

I'm not from Reddit or any other site though. I just want to know how a voting system would affect the culture.
>>
Tell ya one thing, it'd stop all of those fagets who quote the post number and say "this."
>>
>>24285718

No it wouldn't you tard.
>>
>>24285718
this

Djjdidksmlso
>>
>>24285718

You could downvote them but it wouldn't stop them from doing it. Do you think simply the threat of downvotes will make the posting quality better?
>>
It would be the same as Reddit. I mean you can make a throwaway acct. in 3 seconds there.

Seriously, everyone would leave except a few newfags who are seriously too out of the loop to realize the irony of it all.
>>
People would say shit they thought would be popular to get meaningless internet points, it would only make things worse.
>>
A simple way to improve this board would be to ban anyone that states they are a female, posts an image macro, etc.
>>
>>24285679
If you want to know how it would affect the culture just go to Reddit.

There's a reason it's detested, and it's because a voting system would undermine the ability to stay anonymous. Suddenly personas and egos would be built around who gets the most upvotes (reminiscent of tripfags but on a larger scale) and the community would encourage saying things that would get more votes and it would basically become the politically correct shithole that Reddit is.
>>
>>24285742
No it would just get all the tripfags to work on their persona and start a bunch of drama.

It's just an invitation for shilling, nothing more.
>>
>>24285074
If I want this kind of shit I just browse reddit. When I'm in 4chink I just wanna scroll random shit. So OP is a faggot as usual.
>>
>>24285762

No accounts. Just each individual post gets an up/downvote counter. They aren't linked or tracked or anything and nothing would come from it. Would people really leave if that were the case?

>>24285765

This is what I think as well, but if every post is tailor made to please, doesn't that mean posting quality goes up?
>>
File: image.png (4 KB, 586x161) Image search: [Google]
image.png
4 KB, 586x161
Please leave with this weak bait
>>
>>24285808
You miss my point. The accounts on Reddit are barely accounts, you can just make one for each post you make if you wanted. So they don't really matter, for the sake of this conversation let's just pretend they're not there at all. You add voting to 4chan, it will become the same exact thing. PC cancer and drama queens everywhere trying to out each other for being too bigoted in between meme'ing faggots.
>>
>>24285788
this is a very lazy answer. OP never mentioned anything about accounts/profiles
>>
File: 4chan.png (148 KB, 780x368) Image search: [Google]
4chan.png
148 KB, 780x368
>>24285074
As a thrice gilded 4channer, I don't think you're qualified to suggest changes to this website, OP.

Most of the features you've mentioned already exist.
>>
>>24285876

But that isn't the culture of 4chan. Here the PC bullshit would be the ones getting downvoted. But even then, the votes wouldn't matter. Nobody would get censored. Higher upvoted posts won't get moved up to the top or be seen on a "4chan's best" page or anything. Can things really be significantly changed when something completely meaningless comes into play?
>>
just check out ylilauta's /int/ board

they have an upboat system there
>>
>>24285074
>What would happen in 4chan implemented an upvote/downvote system?
It would become a circlejerk in a week, you heretic.
>>
>>24285960
>Here the PC bullshit would be the ones getting downvoted
Basically.
It would just be a shittier version of Reddit. And if the votes don't rearrange comments or do anything besides have a +7 next to it, then what's the point exactly? I see no positive from it.
>>
>>24286114
>implying this place isn't already a circlejerk
>>
>>24286125
>And if the votes don't rearrange comments or do anything besides have a +7 next to it, then what's the point exactly?

I'm interested in seeing if it would have an effect on the quality of posting.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.