[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"How are you?" >say "I'm tired, haha"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: 4L_4S2JBIJU.png (83 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
4L_4S2JBIJU.png
83 KB, 240x240
>"How are you?"
>say "I'm tired, haha"
>person walks away
>can't reciprocate the question, feel like a social retard

Why do normies use "How are you?" as a greeting if they don't actually care enough to hear a reply?
>>
Maybe they wanted to leave you alone because you're tired?
>>
>>24164060
>Why do normies use "How are you?" as a greeting if they don't actually care enough to hear a reply?

I will never understand this
>>
>>24164081
I can't say anything but "I'm tired," regardless of how I actually feel, since if I said something like "I'm doing well" they'd obviously know I'm not telling the truth.
>>
I say "fine" and they look at you bewildered
>>
>>24164110
And why would they assume otherwise? All it takes is one fucking word, just say good. Nobody actually cares how you feel. Life's a battle of survival. Why would they?
>>
>>24164060
This is an anu-sniffing social queue. What you say doesn't mean what you think it does. It's basically saying "are you happy to see me as a human bean". So when you answer somehting else than "good and you?", you aren't sniffing back their asses, and that's a no-no even for people.

I say "good and you?" because anything at that stage is the say irrelevant automatic greeting, and then while talking to the person i'll get to interest myself to how they really are, and maybe tell them I had a shit day/night, without putting them off by slapping a "I feel bad world's awful" on my anus as soon as I see them.
>>
I'm pretty sure people are expecting me to ask in return, but I never do.
>>
>>24164060
i dont like when somebody says "what are you doing" to me instead of "how are you doing" i try not to do that to other people. its like, dont freekin worry about what im doing. say "how" are you doing, not "what" are you doing
>>
lmao i was conflicted with this as a cashier. people walk up and go "hi how are you" but both the customer and i establish that it is rhetorical, they aren't expecting me to answer seriously.
then you get people who get assmad if you don't respond seriously. so i'm thinking it's rhetorical, i don't say anything.
but now i just have a canned response no matter what they say and i say it so fast it doesn't even matter "Goodhow'reyou" and before i can even finish saying it they've cut me off already.

i don't like socializing and that's one of the reasons.
>>
>>24164164
DING DING DING DING DING
>>
>>24164164
anglos are so fucking shit and fake holy shit no wonder all of you are depressed pieces of shit living in golden castles compared to the rest of the world

>what is honesty
>>
they want to keep an eye out for the ones who don't say "I'm good, how are you?". responding with "I'm tired, haha" is tantamount to confessing to a school shooting
>>
File: Le black question man.jpg (19 KB, 575x323) Image search: [Google]
Le black question man.jpg
19 KB, 575x323
>Reply "good how are you"
>They don't answer
>>
>>24164240
The fuck, robot... They're not trying to start a conversation. It's just a different "Hey!".
>>
>>24164226
for some reason people don't like honesty in America, they are so insecure here that they don't want to be reminded that ANYONE can be miserable. it's "look the other way syndrome", what you do when you see a homeless person laying on the sidewalk.

part of the reason people do it is because they don't want to be accountable for anything but themselves and feel threatened by guilt.
no one can be tired or in a bad mood or anything in America because you're bringing everyone else down with your negativity!!!!

TL:DR people would rather be lied to than feel a shred of guilt or sympathy
>>
>>24164226
hello pajeet ;^)
>>
In Australia it's more of a greeting phrase
>G'day mate how are ya?
>Yea how are ya?
and that's a fine greeting. Or maybe you'll get a
>g'day mate how are ya?
>Yeah a bit how ya goin, yourself?
Autists will never understand
>>
How do people even have a conversation like this? Unless someone is asking me questions like a child I just sit there silent
>>
>>24164164
armchair psychology one oh one
>>
>>24164277
austrralia literally makes me sick to my stomach
>>
>>24164277
i've met a ton of Australians, they are overly-charismatic brodudes, even the women
>>
>>24164226
You are a retard. I am french and this is the same thing everywhere in the world. People are self-centered and can't in three seconds get in a mindset of intensely caring about you, even if they are good aquaintances. So you have these greetings which are pretty much a way to show someone you noticed their existence that can lead to a more slightly intimate and deep conversation. You gotta understant that you don't really matter for other people, even people close to you, or you matter for them as far as they are concerned, because you are IN THEIR LIVES and not the other way around. Get with the program.
>>
>>24164060
>how are you?
'the usual'
'fine'
'im alright'
(walk away and pretend to not hear the question)
(answer question by changing the subject)
(mumbled banjo kazooie speak)
(flee the area)

how the fuck do you think im fucking doing man,
just one look at me and that should tell you all you need to know, why ask the question if you don't give a shit anyway
how about hows the weather you ol goober
you ol stinky jabroni
you ol fuckin stinker

suffice?
>>
File: 1396069182841.jpg (45 KB, 330x319) Image search: [Google]
1396069182841.jpg
45 KB, 330x319
>>24164277
>literally having a British flag on you flag
>being this kucked by the "royal crown"
>>
>>24164282
Pretty much common sense imo.
>>
>>24164060
I usually say 'not too bad thank you' and they think I say 'not too bad thanks, you?' and everyone's happy
>>
>>24164286
>>24164293
By far the worst 'developed' country.
>>
>>24164326
What happens after that though? Do you just sit there awkwardly in silence?
>>
>>24164110
Here's the thing, no one would actually know. And you also shouldn't feel like you HAVE to answer something. Other than fine, because no one expects you to. But saying something like I'm SHIT throws them off and that's always fun.
>>
>Good morning, how are you?
>Get a mumbled "How are you?" back as a response

These are truly the worst people.
>>
In german you don't use it as a greeting, it's like a polite adding to a greeting. They always expect "good, and you?"

I was confused when I was in an english speaking community, they said "how are ya mate?" or "how's it going?", so I always answered "good" or "alright" and asked the same questions, if they are strangers they just give you the wtf look and carry on.
So I learned to just say the same thing back, always works. Except someone is genuinely interested in your well being, then it's weird again.
At least with Australians and English people, have no experience with murricans.
>>
>"how are you?"
>"apex"
>"what?"
>"apex"
>"uhm...erm...woops, gotta go, it was good to see ya, bye"
>"bye misses jackson...woo-woo-woo"
>"fuck off"
>":)"
>>
Conventional thinking.
Someone do something because other people are doing it.
>>
lol no wonder you're all fucking losers.
>>
>>24166066
No wonder you are a loser too for trying to validate your ego on a mongolian imageboard. Stop trying to fit in.
>>
>>24164060
This is my go to phrase when dealing with anyone in public, like a cashier or whatever. I live in southern Indiana, about 5 miles from Kentucky. so I throw on some extra southern accent and greet them like "how ya dern?". It works perfectly.
>>
>>24164060

I usually reply with "fine" or "I don't feel anyway in particular" because that is the truth. It is a silly way to start a conversation because they don't care how I am. Not only that, but they can clearly see what I'm doing. if I'm sitting down at a table or something, what do they expect? "How is your day?" Um, I'm just sitting here, what does it look like?

I feel the same way when people ask "What's up?" They know "what's up", you're looking at it right now, I'm not doing anything special right now. And then people always look disappointed when you give a boring answer, as if they expected anything else. If you didn't want such a boring, obvious answer, why ask such a boring, obvious question?
>>
one time when i wasn't feeling that great

>hi how are you?
>kinda shitty i guess, and tired
>they walk away

i don't get it. chances are that person felt shitty and tired too, why cant we share in our misery? instead any indication of not feeling great is a bad thing. people connect through their faults, dont they?
>>
>>24164060
Because normalfags are fucking morons. "How are you?" is the stupidest fucking question ever. Aside from the rare situations where the person actually means it and actually wants to know (like when your gf asks how you are). But when anyone else like a random person you don't know or a coworker or even a friend says it, all they want is to hear "good" even if it's not true because they are fucking retarded. Fuck normalfags.
>>
>>24166154
THIS. Fucking this. "What's up?" is the one question that is at least as bad as "how are you?". And people usually respond to "what's up" with "what's up", it's fucking stupid. When people say "what's up?" to me, my response is "hey" or "hi" unless I am actually doing something of note.
>>
"How are you?" is a gretting basically means "sup?"
It's not an actual question that you're suppose to answer literally.
Retard.
>>
>>24167609
Then why the fuck is it a question? If I don't answer the question and instead treat it as a greeting and just say "hi" or whatever then people will think I'm anti-social. And that's fine because I am. But that's obviously not the answer they expect. So you are fucking retarded. And "sup?" is the same thing. I always respond to "sup?" with hey or hi but it's not really what people intend to hear. Why are you so fucking stupid? You are literally worse than normalfags.
>>
>>24167665
You literally have third degree autism.
>>
I wish we could just go back to saying "hi", and the respond with "hi". Beautiful simplicity. And it doesn't create the pressure to talk when there is nothing to talk about.
>>
>>24167665
Rhetorical question, motherfucker! DO YOU SPEAK IT?
>>
>>24167705
Then explain it, fucktard
>>24167732
THIS
>>24167754
So if someone says "how are you?" and I respond with "hi" that's okay? Because it's just a greeting, not actually a question, and I respond with a greeting?
Rhetorical question, btw. Fucking obviously they'll think I'm a weird antisocial fuck (which is fine) if I respond with "hi". Either that or they'll think I'm a degenerate druggie if they mistake "hi" for "high".
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.