[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is fencing autistic, /r9k/? I'm bored of video games and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 5
File: fencing_w1920.jpg (372 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
fencing_w1920.jpg
372 KB, 1920x1080
Is fencing autistic, /r9k/? I'm bored of video games and I think it mite be fun, but I was wondering if it's a normie sport
>>
>>24149446
any sport is a normie sport op. kill yourself.

GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>24149446
many consider it a sport for fags because swords are irrelevant in this age of guns and missiles.
>>
It really does help you fight. Distance, footwork, balance, rapid advancing. It will cause you to want to lead with your strongest hand though.
>>
>>24149446
It's not autistic, but if you actually want to learn swordsmanship go with Kenjutsu or HEMA - modern fencing is basically point-fighting with a foil (which don't even resemble swords anymore (for example, the popular pistol-grip foils have exactly zero to do with actual swords).
>>
>>24149446
The equipment is expensive. Officiating is difficult so bouts often end with a lot of screaming and whining. If you do it in high school it can help you get into a fancy college.
>>
>>24149446
it's normie if you go to some fencing school to learn it.

you must teach yourself.
>>
>in uni
>looking for club to join to meet people
>fencing seems pretty cool
>stabbing people and shit
>show up to first day
>literally everyone there is an autist
>all the guys are neckbeard athiests or are morbidly obese
>3 girls that have dyed hair who look like dykes
>tfw still no friends 3 months into uni
>>
>>24149915
sounds neat do you fence?

>>24149997
sounds too weeb for me and i dont think hema exists where i live

>>24150029
im 22 and never went to a university i work in a factory for automobiles >>24150066
i was just gonna sign up for classes or something
>>24150111
nice trips

sounds like something i want to avoid

also, will i be a cool guy or autistic if I fence and ride a motorcycle? would this make me chad
>>
>>24150197
>i was just gonna sign up for classes or something

whatever you say, normie.
>>
if you go to a big tournament, there are a bunch of chads who are really good at the sport and then a bunch of autists who are there to live out zelda fantasies. the autists get knocked out early.
>>
>>24150111
LMAO FAGtheists are such losers lol. I say we should give them the chair. Fucking disgusting neckbeard fedora losers the lot.
>>
>>24150197
I did from age 11 to 16. When I tried boxing later the instructor knew I used to fence from the habits I picked up.

There's some fencing stuff that Bruce Lee transcribed into Jeet Kune Do. He liked the fleche and light fluid stance.
>>
>>24150380
I wanna box too but I don't know about all that yet.

>>24150277
sounds fun to watch
>>
File: 1438884920950.gif (956 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
1438884920950.gif
956 KB, 250x188
Go for it. It's kind of fun.
>>
>>24150380
>>24150427

How fun is it though? is boxing better? Will I meet a qt fencing waifu?
>>
>>24150427
It's up to you to figure out. Boxing is a little bit more intensive, though.
>>
>>24150613
Fuck. Meant for
>>24150498
>>
>>24150406
Good choice traditional Euro fighting styles are underrated. Only go to asian fighting for jiujitsu, muay thai or kyokushin if you're an edgelord who likes kicking shins.

Shit tier martial arts some of the autists on this board might try to sell you on are hapkido, taekwondo, akido or any variation of worthless finger bending shit, systema and any variation of ritual karate or kung fu.
>>
>>24149527
Nothing wrong with sports. I love basketball because the statistics make my autism happy.
>>
>>24150498
Both are fun, boxing is better because the fencing equipment is very expensive and STINKS. Also left handers cost a bomb. All you need to box is borrow gloves or wraps.

On the other hand fencing has a lot of posh kids preppy types and asians while a boxing gym has poorer guys who can get rowdy and depending where you live niggers
>>
just dont want to be in a normie sport by fencing.

Should I sign up for a dance class instead?
>>
>>24150771
ballet perhaps. it is very intense workout.
>>
Look at boxing, man. Cheaper, a million times more available, and far more practical irl, will get you fit cardiowise pretty quickly.
>>
>>24150819
Boxing improves upper body strength and relieves frustration more though.
>>
>>24150939
it teaches you to fight wrong.
>>
>>24149527
what about e-sports?
>>
>>24151049

Are you autistic

I guess you prefer ninjutsu. Any sport that involves full-contact sparring teaches you how to fight better than something like krav maga
>>
>>24151119
only real combat can teach the warrior. in boxing you learn how you are not allowed to punch, as to not hurt your opponent too much. a sport for "gentlermen".
>>
Why do they wear the mask?
>>
>>24151170
Bullshit you clearly don't box and armchair study martial arts. What next you're gonna tell us a special snowflake martial art with "techniques that can kill you bro" is superior than consistent stance work full contact punching and help from a guy who will have thrown 100x more punches than any super special secret technique martial art 'sensei'.

Its as close as you can get to bare knuckle boxing without destroying your face in a matter of weeks. The only thing that could conveniently help more is somehow learning how to fight dirty or killing yourself streetfighting.
>>
>>24151364
which part is bullshit? is it not true that they teach you not to punch with a straight hand, but instead to bend it horizontally? you never use elbows, and in the legwork there is no defense against kicks.
>>
>>24149446
Rapiers are the gayest weapon of choice.
If you're in bongland join a jousting club or some renaissance fair reenactors.
>>
>>24151203
To protect their faces.
>>
>>24151531
america midwest

columbus
ohio

to be exact
>>
>>24151433
If you want kick defence you clearly need to have experienced kicks, muay thai or krav maga if taught right can do this. Krav maga has shit sparing and most gyms are dumbed down for dumb feminists who have a fetish for groin kicks. Muay thai gyms are often decent but real ones are rare. For takedown defence or grappling BJJ or jujitsu or just plain old wrestling are fine.

For just learning to punch and getting a feel for hitting some cunt at a bar boxing is a great beginning. As for the horizontal punching it works fine. Offers more reach without injuring your arm. Full force punching without gloves can very easily knacker your own arm.

I don't entirely disagree with you desu i just think boxing is fine.
>>
>>24151599
Eh quit your whining, look at all the recommendations you've got. Look for local clubs. Fencing, boxing and muay thai are all great the hard part is not ending up in a shit gym and getting taught bullshit.
>>
>>24151820
how tf am i whining tbqh senpai? I was just telling him im not from bongland
>>
>>24151599
Buy a dulled blade and some knocked up armour, get a friend or two and start whacking each other.
>>
>>24151658
This is decent advice for anyone looking to actually learn how to fight shit without killing themselves in sreetfighting. The ideal combination would be Muay Thai for Strikes and Stance, BJJ for groundfighting and Escrima or a decent Krav Maga school for disarming all the fuckers who try pulling weapons on you.
>>
>>24151929
you gonna get stabbed if you try to disarm someone with your fancy krav maga mui tay.
>>
>>24151847
If you're OP you are. Fencing is legit not autist m8. Nothing is more autistic than jousting and we roaches don't joust at all.

Do it for the skill m8. The only thing autistic in this thread is the jousting and worrying about hiding your assburgers powerlevel senpai
>>
>>24151963
The alternative is getting stabbed without trying first. And obviously running from a knifefight is the best idea.
>>
>>24152050
the alternative is to stab them first.
>>
>>24152078
Which will still likely result in getting cut up even if you "win". Knifefights are really fucking nasty, at least a gun kills you quickly.
>>
>>24151929
Nah m8 you're gonna get yourself killed. If they have a knife run or if you have to grab their arm and don't let go. BJJ is a lot of effort for a sport version of any good jujitsu training. Krav maga is just dirty fighting formalised for the terminally airheaded. I could invent it myself just by imagining every horrible thing I'd hate someone to do in a street fight, and it doesn't make be a brilliant fighter. I don't like krav maga because its literally Jews shilling women who are too dumb to realise being kicked in the knee really hurts.
>>
>>24152111
not if you are good at stabbing. which is what you should be practicing.

i can teach you maybe a thing or two?
>>
>>24152179
Confirmed retard.
>>
>>24152212
it is simply another martial art form. do not discriminate based on your preconceived notions of what is and what isn't a martial arts.
>>
>>24152141
>MT is dirty fighting formalized
I know. Still the most important part is getting in practice so you ingrain those things into your reflexes. Otherwise you'll just panic and not do shit in an actual fight-or-flight situation.
>>
>>24152179
What can you teach a Britbong? If I get caught with a knife longer than 2 inches I can get 8 years in prison. The only people who carry knives here are psychotic thugs and worthless niggers.
>>
>>24152265
you dont need a knife to stab. first lesson of stabbing.
>>
File: rer9k.png (41 KB, 887x868) Image search: [Google]
rer9k.png
41 KB, 887x868
>>24149527
hello redditor are u having fun
>>
>>24152299
Woah this is next level shit. Is the pelvic stab from behind a thing? Is it effective against drunk female assailants on all fours with their skirt hitched up? I must know more.

rape: the martial art
>>
>>24152238
I'm not saying it's not martial arts. I'm saying that you thinking you will get out of a fight against another dude with a knife by stabbing him first is stupid. You will very likely end up trading hits just because bringing down a knife at unorthodox angles is so easy and your opponent will probably jerk his arm toward you as soon as you stab him in a reflex.
Hitting your adversary is just the first part. Getting away without being hit yourself is even more important when it comes to sharp weaponry.
And that's of course assuming you actually have a knife at hand yourself and won't be jailed for pulling it out and using it.
I would go as far as to say an arm-length blunt weapon is preferable against a knife because you have the advantage in reach and a good smack to the head will end the fight early where a knife wound can actually be ignored under adrenaline, at least long enough to result in injury to both parties.
>>
Nigger, do wrestling instead of you're in High school. Bjj if you're in college/not in HS

>be me
>autistic as fuck
>"If I join a sports team maybe I can make friends!"
>try out for football
>daddy never taught me how to throw pigskin
>get cut
>"maybe baseball!"
>daddy never taught me how to throw baseball
>get cut
>golfing
>get cut
>wrestling
>not a team sport, so the coach has no reason to cut you
>not expensive, so "muh equipment" isn't an issue for you or coach
>unless you live in the freaking Midwest where it's a big deal, no one has done wrestling before and the coach knows it. No skill needed when you apply
>get fucking cut, get strong, teaches you good grappling, don't have to interact with ppl if you don't want to

Wrestling is the sport that all robots should get into. Short of that bjj is some real shit that'll help you win fights, but most places that do bjj cost money. Don't do fencing, where the fuck do you even go to do fencing anyway?
>>
>>24152414
He's taking the piss m8. Knife fights are horrendous. And other person you find who wants to be in a knife fight probably carries a knife larger and sharper than you too and anyone else with a knife is just showing off. Or they literally personally want to kill you, get ready to fight tooth and nail and probably have life changing wounds.
>>
>>24152414
I have long arms as a result of years of stretching. This means my stabs will keep him out of hitting distance.

By learning the proper ways of stabbing, you will gain speed and accuracity to your stab, putting you at a great advantage over an enemy who isn't trained in stabbing.

There is a mental aspect to it as well. Knowing how to stab, means you can read your enemies moves much more efficiently.
>>
>>24150111
It's swordplay what do you expect?
>>
>>24152350
oh god...

they all need to die
>>
>>24152767
>>24152767
ayy lmao how about i play with your sword
>>
>>24153086
you can if youre qt
>>
I hang out with the fencing club during their gym hours because my cute Hong Kong friend used to invite me and my old roommate is a part of it.

But, yes, besides the cute HK girl and roommate, I don't like any of them. There's only a handful. One girl dresses like an anime, silver contacts and all. The other girl actually seems normal. The guys are all betas, and one or two probably have mental health issues.
>>
>>24154007
I don't actually fence, so IDK how that works, if that's what you're asking. I just watch and chat with HK girl and roommate.
>>
File: 1446630408607.gif (2 MB, 355x360) Image search: [Google]
1446630408607.gif
2 MB, 355x360
>>24149446
>implying fencing is anything at all like vidya
>mfw
>>
>>24150771
You could get into swing dance. It's very fun. You'll meet lots of girls too.
>>
>>24154341
I don't have the coordination for dancing.
>>
fencing is fun, but its really physically demanding. and youll be shit on until you finally become good enough to not be shit on and then youll still be shit unless you work your ass off, and actually take it serious, youll be mediocre and not enjoy yourself.
its a great workout though and it does get you in pretty good shape.
>>
>>24154354
Which is why you take lessons and you slowly learn. Swing dance should start you off very slow anyway.
>>
>>24149446
Been fencing for about twelve years now. It's an aspie sport.
>>
>>24154359
round is a shape.
calories in, calories out.
>>
>>24154359
>pretty good shape
it's good cardio, to be sure. Don't expect to get /fit/
>>
>>24154428

You'll have legs of steel though
>>
File: 1446515781783.jpg (30 KB, 400x396) Image search: [Google]
1446515781783.jpg
30 KB, 400x396
>>24154354
>doesn''t have coordination for dancing
>thinks he can fence
>>
>>24154500
nice dubs

hes not op, op is me, and i asked if i should dance instead of fencing. how come robots cant be active with me
>>
>>24154428
Do you really want thick legs as a man though? Cardio legs are master race. Bulky legs are just so body builders don't start to look like hot air kites bobbing around night clubs in their Abercrombie v necks.
>>
>>24152469
this
>tfw nothing mattered in wrestling as long as you made weight and learned the necessary skills
>coach had the football team come spar with us one day and we annihilated all of them
>>
>>24154571
if that's the case then just do fencing unless you think you have what it takes to not be autismo in front of grills
>>
>>24154464
High muscular endurance, yes. You still won't be able to do heavy squats your first day in the gym no matter how long you've been fencing for.

>>24154629
B-but I'm not a man...
>>
>>24149527
Marching band is a normie sport?
>>
>>24154702
will you be my qt fencer gf? OP here
>>
>>24152469
>wrassled in high school
>wrassled in college
>high school teacher and wrasslin' coach
>still never have been able to make friends and no one has ever liked me
No one cares if you're on the wrestling team; at the most, they'll call you a fag or even pick a fight with you, because no one takes it seriously until you put them in a headlock.
>>
>>24154702
Whenever I see a cute grill squatting in the gym my subconscious automatically goes
>Puuuuuurrrrfffftttttttt
Then I get grossed out imagining the eggs on toast she had that morning and move along.
>>
>>24154808
I'm not qt tho
>tfw my parents can't even make me an arranged marriage
>>
>>24155277
but you have dubs.

and idc i just want a gf who will fence me

in bed ha ha ayy lmao senpai
>>
>>24155277
Pics or gtfo senpai
>>
>>24149446
Rather than fencing, I'd say find a nearby anachronistic* (think that's how it's said) reenactment group.
I found one nearby and I'm soon going to begin working on heavy arms fighting (fighting with blunted/taped versions of medieval weapons with armor for head, shoulders, rib cage, etc).
They even have smiths who craft the armor. The fights end when someone yields or is deemed unfit to continue.
They also have fencing with realistic handles (no pistol grip) and off-hand weapons or shields.
People of all levels of athleticism participate, some serious, some for fun.
>>
>>24150029
not really! My cousin fences and he paid about 90$ for his sword or whatever
>>
>>24155887
>sword
stay pleb
>plus the mask, underarm protector, jacket, knickers, socks, shoes, lame, body cord, and bag to put it all in
>plus competition fees
It's expensive, senpai. Especially if you use halfway decent blades.
>>
>>24149830

The Enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.