[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you become stoic, /r9k/? I am way to influenced by desires
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: majcjc.jpg (10 KB, 382x212) Image search: [Google]
majcjc.jpg
10 KB, 382x212
How do you become stoic, /r9k/?
I am way to influenced by desires for sex and for women's approval. But I've had gfs and sex and it's boring and pointless as fuck. I want to just live alone and do work and hobbies which I enjoy but my biological desires are always in the way. I'll spend entire days just thinking about fucking hookers.
Help me, pls.
>>
Put your childhood dog to sleep

After doing that, nothing much will get to you anymore.
>>
remember that you will die
>>
Mindfulness
>>
>>24117134
Is this literal or metaphorical for something else?
>>
Stoicism is just a personality where you don't show emotion.

You can fuck hookers and be completely stoic before, during, and after.
>>
Think about all the cringe worthy things you've done. Think about all the times you've been wronged. Think about situations where you were treated unfairly.

Become upset. Feel the hate and let it flow inside you. And then leave it. Like hot molten metal becoming solid and cold.

Become stone cold. Deny yourself and become invincible.
>>
File: rsz_20151106_235856101_ios.jpg (63 KB, 612x816) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20151106_235856101_ios.jpg
63 KB, 612x816
One starts the path by suffering. You're suffering and you're looking for a way to cope. Like /lit/ says, start with the Greeks.

The most basic stoic philosophers--and easy to read, at that--are Zeno of Citium ("The Republic") and Heraclitus ("Fragments"). The Republic outlines a society aligned along stoic principles, while the Fragments are an account of the teaching of Heraclitus, one of the earliest stoic philosophers.

Then you can move on to Epictetus. He inspired a famed "Manual" that often men would carry into battle with them that basically is a catalog of prevailing stoic ideology. Like many of the old philosophers, Epictetus wrote nothing himself. His teachings were transcribed by one of his students for our benefit. It is written in a manner similar to "The Art of War," and definitely has a sort of easterly wind blowing through it that is much like the writings of Lao Tzu or Confucius.

Epictetus had a student who eventually became a rather famous man--Marcus Aurelius Antoninus, Emperor of Rome. His "Meditations" is an absolute classic, one of my favorite books, and the first book on stoic philosophy I ever read. It is broken up into short sections, one section is easily readable and digestible in a day.

Finally, there's Seneca. Seneca might not have lived according to his teaching, but he is definitely the most eloquent and convincing of the stoic philosophers. His "On the Shortness of Life," a rather quick read at only 106 pages, is a book that very much struck home for me. It so accurately describes the meaninglessness of the trials and tribulations everyday normal people in society face. He employs a method much like Democritus--laughing at people's foolishness and gently correcting it in a way that scalds nobody, unlike Heraclitus (though still very wise) who would cry and bemoan society's problems.

Good luck. I adopted this attitude somewhat recently. I've gotten into moderate shape and realized some success in other facets of my life.
>>
>>24117094
everyone wants to be a monk.
>>
>>24117231
Absolute moron who has no clue what he's talking about.
>>
>>24117487
But nobody wants to lift the heavy-ass feels of God.

>>24117815
He has confused the philosophy with his autism.
>>
>>24117094
I thought that's what I wanted. Now I'm living alone on a ranch and sad without someone.
>>
buddhism OP. No need to believe in shit without evidence.
>>
>>24117094
You need to approve of yourself.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.